Metzeler ROADTEC 01

The Metzeler ROADTEC 01 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Motorcycles.

Tyre review data from 16 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 83,508 miles driven.

The ROADTEC 01 is ranked 9th of 23 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Metzeler ROADTEC 01
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Metzeler ROADTEC 01
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Metzeler ROADTEC 01. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

ROADTEC 01 Prices

Top 3 Metzeler ROADTEC 01 Reviews

Given 93% while driving a Ducati Multistrada 1200 (190/55 R17) on for 0 miles
I've had the 01's fitted to the Multistrada 1200 since February replacing PR4's and Angel GT's, compared to the others I found the Roadtec 01's to steer quicker but they were stable at speed and once leaned in.

The grip in the cold and wet was confidence inspiring and I had no problems riding in torrential rain, snow or just damp. Once the weather has warmed up I've been happy to explore the grip right up to the edge with no suprises.

They've lasted some 8000 miles on my Multi which is better than both the tyres I replaced, so I'll definately be buying these gain.
94 - tyre reviewed on August 21, 2016
Given 69% while driving a (180/55 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Rear tyre was good but the front was both noisy and skittish /unpredictable !
16 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2019
Triumph (190/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 8 average miles
I only have a full motorcycle license and have commuted to work in all weather for the past 36years.. I have covered 8,700 on these tyres in 10 months and i can honestly say they are the best all weather tyre i have evey had. They inspire confidence in the wet and I will be purchasing a new set in the coming month. Highly recommend.
14 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2019
Have you driven on the Metzeler ROADTEC 01 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Metzeler ROADTEC 01? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Metzeler ROADTEC 01 >

Latest Metzeler ROADTEC 01 Reviews

Given 97% while driving a Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 8,500 spirited miles
Excellent tires. Long wearing (Over 12,000KM and I'd say with at least 4,000km more at least). I'm a large heavy dude (about 100 KG) and the bike has cases and they're often loaded. So lots of weight on the bike. Ride two up say 60 percent of the time. Riding conditions are brutal. Hot (Over 30 celcius) humid tropical climate. 90 percent city riding. I accelerate hard and brake hard. Tire pressure religiously adhered to (I have lovely portable tire inflator that helps a big bunch). Some of the best bike tires I've used on this adventure tourer. Tried other brands but keep coming back to this tire.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2020
Given 73% while driving a (190/55 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
I transitioned to the '01's from the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's which were decent (but wore out really fast). That was 17,000 kms ago. I've since run through two rears and am looking to pick up my third. In reality, it lasts about 10,000 km in my experience & my first rear went early because of a large puncture I picked up. My Pirelli's lasted about 6000 km and cost the same. Dry grip & tire feedback is clearly higher than the Scorpion Trails and the inspires reasonable confidence on tarmac. I really haven't pushed hard in the wet and honestly it makes little sense to do so on a loaded 300kg adventure tourer. However, they have never made me feel I need to change modes from Sport to Rain due to tyre slip. In summary, I believe these were a league apart when they were launched but other products have caught up.
2 - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2020
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 74% while driving a BMW R1200GS (170/60 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 3,000 average miles
R1200 GS. Great on the road a bit noisy but I like to hear how the tyre is working. On a trip to Scotland got a puncture from the rough pavement surface on Skye and a couple of days later a slow puncture from some stones on the road that got embedded in the tyre. Not claiming to be a trail tyre of any kind so fair enough but any of the 90 road/ 10 trail tyres were significantly more substantial
10 - tyre reviewed on July 27, 2020
Given 74% while driving a (180/55 R17) on for 0 miles
A little disappointed at the wear rate, under 4000 miles isn't great considering the price. TBH I only purchased them as all the reviews suggested they would give good mileage but they didn't give any more than the Continetals they replaced but the Conti's were half the price.

At under 2mm tyre wear left the bike became so unstable I've been forced into replacing them. A little sideways is fun but these break away so early its hard to find a reference point.
9 - tyre reviewed on July 25, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Triumph tiger 1050 (180/55 R17 R) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
This is a review of 01's fitted to 3 x Triumphs in pairs.
Pair 1; A 2010 Sprint ST was the first in 2016, after running all the main rivals previously. First used on a tour of Northern Spain & Portugal, which involved some spirited riding. Immediate noticeable improvement in turn in, comfort and feedback from front and rear. Pushed the lifespan out to 5k but rear was flatted off at 4.5k, never having had a slide dry or wet. Just a bit disappointed in lifespan, but best S/T tyres I have used. Subsequent pairs fitted to the Sprint for a trip the Balkans, and then Morocco, same lifespan.
I decided to fit 01's to my 2012 Street Triple R in 2017 rather than sport tyres. The rear has flatted off after 6k miles, will last at a push until 6.5k. Adequate grip for spirited road use.
In 2018 I bought a 2016 Tiger 1050 Sport and had 01's fitted for a 3,800 mile lap around Spain & Portugal. Immediate improvements felt over standard tyres as descibed above, rear flatted off at 4.5k.
I feel the rear center tread could be harder, heaven only knows how some guys get 8k - 10k from a set.
4 - tyre reviewed on July 14, 2019
Given 89% while driving a Kawasaki ER6F (160/60 R17 W) on mostly town for 15,000 average miles
Expensive, but actually very very good tyres. Lasted twice as long as the Bridgestone Battlax 21's that were on it and were stickier throughout.

These are the best wet weather tyres I have ever used. They give much more confidence on initial lean in and corner exit than any motorcycle tyre I have ever used (and that covers maybe 20 different types) in the wet, and stop very impressively too.

In the dry, there isn't that much that differentiates it from other quality all weather tyres other than it seems to last much longer before the rear squared off. I believe it is a dual compound rear and that structure seems to work very well.

An additional note - I got a nail in the front tyre after about 4000 miles. It has remained there for a further 10000 and the tyre has not lost a single psi of pressure.

I will be buying another set of the Roadtec 01's, without doubt.
4 - tyre reviewed on April 10, 2019
Given 96% while driving a Honda VFR 800 (180/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 2,000 average miles
Very nice tire.
3 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2019
Suzuki (190/55 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
best sport touring tire on the market.
2 - tyre reviewed on November 26, 2018
Given 96% while driving a Kawasaki z1000 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Update on earlier Z1000 review
After another 2000 miles around northern Spain and the picos the tyres have just started to go off, not yet worn to wear bars but not as confidence inspiring as they were but 8000 miles is pretty good for a tyre as grippy as these.
Front and rear have worn at same rate
Off for another set next week
10 - tyre reviewed on May 27, 2018
Given 96% while driving a Kawasaki z1000 (190/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Tyres stayed round unlike anything I've used before with very little squaring off, love this tyre not sure on how long they will last but still looking good after 5000 mls on Kawasaki Z1000 sx
Mix between committing and touring mainly commuting

4 - tyre reviewed on April 20, 2018
Given 100% while driving a BMW R1200GS (180/55 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Best tyre ever. In my 27 years I tried everything. Last I used were bridgeStone Battlax30, Metzeler roadtec Z8, Dunlop Sportmaxx III and Michelin PR4. Dunlops are sporty, Michelins are great in cold, but Roadtec 01 outperform both. Tyre wear is also good, have to use HWM model on heavy bikes, so don't wine, if U use wrong tyre on your bike and get bad results. Great handling, great wet grip, great feedback as it could be on RT with ESA, great comfort, great handling. I will buy and buy them again :)
7 - tyre reviewed on April 17, 2018
Given 70% while driving a BMW F800GT (180/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
I purchased the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires just prior to a trip south from Seattle Washington to Utah. The total trip was around 4500 miles. Largely, the tire wear was in the center 1 inch of tread. A week and a half later, I left for South Dakota and needed to replace the rear tire at 6000 miles. The tire did well in wet and dry conditions. Handling felt great. The noise level wasn't high. In short, it was a great tire till I noticed the wear in the center of the tire.
The OEM tires were Metzeler Roadtec Z8s and they lasted 12,000 miles. The replacement tires are Dunlop Roadsmart III and have about 3000 miles on them...and show no discernible wear.

All I can surmise from this, is the claims of long tread life on this tire are false. Otherwise, it is a great tire.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 19, 2017