Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 Reviews - Page 2

Volkswagen Polo GTI (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Got a 2019 polo GTI originally on 215/40 R18 Bridgestone turanza t005, these were terrible for traction, very scary in the wet particularly with aqua planing. Swapped for 225 section Goodyear’s and the car is transformed, so much better in the wet and much better for traction. Definitely buy again.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Jaguar XKR 5.0 (285/30 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Must admit I am very impressed. There is not a single aspect in which I can fault these tyres. Excellent dry grip and progressive at the limit, settled in the wet with good aquaplaning resistance which is important on 285 section tyres. Quiet on poor roads and consideration how much I like to turn the traction control off they are only showing minimal wear. It is difficult to comprehend how much better the Michelin PS4s could be to warrant the astronomical price difference. Car is a '13 Jaguar XKR 500bhp
10 - tyre reviewed on November 17, 2020
Given 90% while driving a SEAT Leon FR 1.4 EcoTSI (225/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
They have very good grip in dry and even better grip in wet conditions. The handling in my car has become much more predictable after replacing Pirelli p7 to these. One downside is these tyres are a little bit noisy but not too loud like the p7s, however the other good aspects make up well for it, I simply don't care about it. They provide enough comfort for potholes etc. and rough asphalt too.
8 - tyre reviewed on November 16, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Audi S3 (225/40 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 100 spirited miles
Brilliant! I drive a 2015 Audi S3, 8V, and have been driving on Michelin PS4 for the last 3 years. The PS4 is an amazing tyre, and with my combined highway and spirited driving including launching the car from time to time, I achieved 50,000 Km's on a single set of tyres with around 2.5mm - 3.0mm thread depth left over (with regular tyre rotations). The problem I had with the Michelin PS4 from day 1 was that they felt spongy and vague. This worsened after lowering the car with sport springs. The grip however, was amazing in any condition, Dry or Wet, and around hard bends/corners, the tyres just stuck to the road. This was all good, but I was not able to tell what the car was really doing from the vague steering feel. My biggest complaint was the day to day feeling of the car with the PS4 feeling somewhat bouncy or spongy like the car needed new shock absorbers to stiffen up the suspension in order to get more road feel.. After months of research and reviews, as well as watching the TyreReviews video of the Michelin PS4, Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5 and Continental Premium Contact 6 comparisons, I had to watch this a good few times to make sure, I then finally took the plunge to purchase a new set of Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5's. All I can Say is WOW! The Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5 gave me exactly what I was looking for, greater road feeling, increased steering response and feeling, and the stiffer ride quality that I so desperately needed. I will definitely purchase these tyres again, over the Michelin PS4. Haven't really has a chance to test the full characteristics of the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5 as yet, but dry grip so far is amazing, with no or very very little difference when compared to the Michelin PS4, where the PS4 might have an edge of stopping a tab bit quicker, but this difference is so small, and this might also be due to the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5 still being new. I previously had 2 sets of Continental SC5 prior to fitting the Michelin PS4, as this was the factory tyre for my car, however, the Continental SC5 only lasted around an average of 25,000 KM's per set. The Continental SC5 was very comfortable, very soft, gripped well in the Dry only, but very bad grip in the Wet. The other issue that I had with the Continental SC5 was that when pushing the car hard in corners, the outside shoulder of the Continental SC5's always became plain, with pieces of rubber falling off. So for me, no more Continental.
19 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2020
Given 97% while driving a Honda Civic 1.8 5 door (225/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 1,000 spirited miles
Easily the best tyres I've ever used on any car I've owned. My Civic's no speed demon but it does corner hard. The car had some ancient factory Bridgestone Turanzas and cheapo Nexens when I bought it and found it super sketchy on tight bends and wet roads. Fitted some Goodyear Asymmetric 5s and I haven't lost grip once, even flooring it in 1st in the pouring rain. The cornering and handling is dramatically improved, greatly reduced understeer, pleasantly predictable behaviour on the limit. I'm seriously impressed considering I paid £70/corner fully fitted. The road noise is surprisingly minimal too compared to tyres I've used in the past. Pilotsport 4s are likely even better but would have also cost me £90 more in total to buy and fit. Price/performance, you cannot beat the Goodyears. Rainsport 3s used to be my go-to tyre but as good as they are in the wet, there's no denying they're squishy and floaty; the Asymmetric 5s match their wet performance but also drive like proper performance tyres at speed. Can't comment on wear; I've done 1000 miles and they look identical to when they were fitted. I have no doubt they'll outlast my ownership by many years, as I don't tend to keep cars long.
4 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Renault Megane III Coupe 2.0 TCE 180 BHP (225/45 R17 P) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Fantastic tyres. Replaced some budget tyres for these which felt unstable as they were not suitable for the horsepower on my car. Dry grip is really good any corner you throw at them they will grip & give you instant feedback if you need to brake or alter your line. Wet grip is even better. Even standing water they just plow throw it like its dry conditions. Low noise as well which is also a great feature. I understand they also last a very long time. They are an excellent choice if safety is your no1 consideration & I cannot imagine buying anything else for my car to replace these with when they finally wear out.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 31, 2020
Given 97% while driving a Mazda 3 MPS (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 800 spirited miles
The king of All Around tires is the american Goodyear! Very good to excellent in all aspects! They replaced Dunlop Sport Maxx 2 that were very good at dry but NOT GRIPPY AT ALL at wet roads! I made a research about this matter and i saw with surprise that is a characteristic of all Dunlop tires in general!!! I purchased them because as a sister company of Goodyear i thought that it was the same thing but BIG MISTAKE. Goodyear is a real PREMIUM brand and you feel it when driving: they grip so hard at the road that i press the right pedal softer than before gaining at fuel consumption, wet grip gives a dry-grip feel (!) that makes you go faster especially at corners, low noise, comfort but not as 2nd gen that i had in the past and better braking. A plus also is the good price ;)
0 - tyre reviewed on October 23, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Mazda Mazda 3 MPS Luxury (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Went from the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my 2008 Mazda 3 MPS, the Goodyear's have much better road feedback, dry and wet grip is similar, though I'd give the edge to the Goodyear in the dry and the Michelin in the wet. I have also had the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and the Goodyear feel righ in between a Super Sport and a PS4. Also has a much better sidewall, very thick, so if you want to protect those rims, this is much better option. It just feels much better than the Michelin, you feel the road more, and it feel like you have more control, excellent comfort and noise, and very good price point. Not as floaty and vague as the Michelin's. If you're thinking between the two which to get, the Goodyear's 100%, haven't tested. wear yet, but apparently it's very good. So far great tyre. Very impressed.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 11, 2020
Given 81% while driving a BMW E46 330i (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Was looking for a premium SPORTS tyre and chosing between Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5. As Jonanthan (TyreReviews) pointed out in one of his videos PS4 is less sporty. I would even add that PS4 has softer tyre contact patch as oposed to Asymetric 5. In my experience Asymetric 5 is a very good summer tyre. Rain/aquaplaning no problem. Noise OK. Comfort levels high - road bumps are absorbed easily. In terms of how sporty the tyre is there are mixed feelings. On one hand its reactions to steering input are quick and the car feels agile on the other hand the feedback sadly is muted (previously had Toyo tyre set with very hard sidewall/low comfort but very good feedback)and this significantly reduces overall feeling of the tyre . Not sure if high sidewall (225/45/R17) is to blame but at least in my configuration Asymetric 5 feels like top level touring tyre with some sport credentials due to this I prefer to have moderate driving as oposed to spirited driving style. When replacement is due I will look for a tyre with more rigid sidewall for a better feedback.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 7, 2020
Given 93% while driving a BMW 530 D Sport Touring (225/35 R19 V) on mostly motorways for 900 average miles
Rim protection, non runflat, good comfort, maybe more noisy than p7 but like it a lot
3 - tyre reviewed on October 5, 2020
Given 97% while driving a BMW 1 series (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
Phenomenal tyre on both dry and wet, drove them from 5c to 40c without issues. On direct sun on 35c after hard driving tyre just keeps getting better and better zero overheating all of that on really tight roads. After 10000km tread still looks like new. Best tyre I ever had fitted to my car in 30 years.
4 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen Sharan SE 2.0TDi (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Having had budgets at front and pirelli cinterato p7 at the back when I brought the car, I would have just changed fronts to pirelli as they are a branded tyre but the ride was too hard and wasn't very sporty for my driving style. I like confidence inspiring tyres as I can imagine running late on a very wet motorway and having confidence to push ahead. Probably because I also came from an audi rs4 b7 to a sharan lol so wanted good tyres. I searched for 3 months using tyrereviews website and videos. I ended up settling for the goodyear Eagle f1 ass 5s all round. So what do I think. When I had them delivered them the rubber was very sticky which is a good thing as the description mentions "extra silica load" as soon as they were fitted and I put my food down I had wheel spin and was shocked but then I left them to run in and now its much better for a front wheel drive. Or I could say damaging to the car as there is a hell of a lot of grip and car is trying to push along and the grip is keeping tyres from spinning which puts pressure on the clutch not to mention lateral grip around bends is a lot and feels like I may be braking the car as if the body is twisting around a fast roundabout and the grip is all on the road. I feel the tyres are too good for the car lol. Now the not so nice bits. Firsty I noticed a 5mpg drop in fuel economy which is pretty bad. Also the steering isn't very sporty and precise and pointy as I wanted. Shame conti sport contact 6 aren't in 18" as I had these tyres on my rs4 in 19" and liked the pointy sharp steering unless its the car thats at fault. The active braking technology that according to the goodyear advert says that the rubber expands in the road when braking to increase rubber to road contact, not sure but I definitely don't feel a better stopping wheras I did with the red chilli technology on the contis again it could be the car. I would recommend the tyre for confidence driving when going fast but if you are not a fast driver then any good tyre will work for you on a vw sharan I wouldn't recommend it for better mpg though. Minimal road noise. Road imperfections are medium as you still feel bumps but a little rounded just like tyrereviews said, sort of in the middle of the range in that regard but better than the pirellis I replaced which when you run your hand over the tread feels quite plasticky and the goodyear definitely rubbery which is a good thing. My only other gripe is that the asymmetric design i.e. each rib along the tread pattern is felt in the steering as you turn and feels a bit spongy, maybe its because its new and thicker tread but again when i had conti sport contact 6 on my rs4 it felt superior from new. Overall I would probably try a continental sport contact tyre next.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2020