Michelin Pilot Sport 5

The Michelin Pilot Sport 5 builds on the impressive range of ability of the PS4, improving the tread life, having sharper more precise steering, and offering higher levels of grip in the dry and wet.

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Tyre review data from 23 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 63,550 miles driven.

The Pilot Sport 5 is ranked 5th of 70 Summer Max Performance tyres.

Reports

2022 Tyre Reviews 17 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Excellent grip in the dry and wet, short braking distances in all conditions, the highest aquaplaning resistance of the test, good rolling resistance, good levels of comfort, extremely attractive sidewall design.
  • Negative - Average external noise, non-dynamic handling qualities with high levels of understeer.
  • Overall - The Michelin Pilot Sport 5 picks up where the Pilot Sport 4 left off, by being a tyre that does almost everything well! It's only slight weakness across all the tests was an average passby noise, but it offered excellent grip during braking and handling and had the highest aquaplaning resistance of the group. Unfortunately, like the Pilot Sport 4, the PS5 sporty dynamics were midpack, with less direct steering and high levels of understeer than the best on test.

2022 Tyre Tests

• 1st: 2022 Tyre Reviews 17 Inch Summer Tyre Test (225/45 R17)
  • Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Pilot Sport 5

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 5

2022-01-27 - When do you expect to review the new Pilot Sport 5 tyres?

I'm working hard to be the first on the new PS5, but realistically it's not possible to test before spring so I'm expecting March time.

2022-04-10 - Why PS5, compared to Asym 6, can be both average in wet grip/handling and excellent at aquaplaning resistance? Intuitively, a tire that better resists aquaplaning performs better in wet conditions, right?

Wet handling uses around 1 mm of water which doesn't really challenge a new tyres aquaplaning properties so is more about the mechanical grip of the compound, where aquaplaning tests are usually conducted in 8 mm of water which is all about tread design.

2022-06-14 - I have kia stinger with pilot sport 4 tyres and had a punctured front left tyre. I cannot find the ps4 to buy anymore just the pilot sport 5. Will it be ok to switch both front tyres to ps5 and keep the rear tyres in ps4? They are new ps4 less than a 1000km.

Yes, mixing the Pilot Sport 5 and Pilot Sport 4 is totally ok as long as you match the left and right on the axle.

2022-09-28 - How come the pilot sport 5 is only available as a 97y not a 93y as well for the 245/40 r18 tyre. The pilot sport 4 was available in both and I had the 93y. Is the 97y still suitable?

You can always go up in load rating so the 97Y will be fine. They might release a 93Y in the future if the market demands it however there's a chance it would be the same tyre with a different sidewall so don't worry about fitting the 97Y.

2022-09-30 - Can you please have a chat with Michelin to find out about when the new tyre size will arrive ? With only 44 launched I think there are a lot more to come as the PS4 were 130+ size. I am especialy interested in 215/50R17 for my Honda Civic

Unfortunately I don't have any new data yet, you could try contacting Michelin directly through their website and they might be able to give you a hint!

2022-11-05 - What is the new tyre tread depth of the ps5? My brand new ones fitted prior to an MOT measured 6.5mm during the mot and were described as 23% worn

The new tread depth of the PS5 varies by size. Our test size of 225/45 R17 had 7.6mm at new, but larger wider tyres often start with less.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin Pilot Sport 5 Reviews

Given 89% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK7 R 300 BHP (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
    I've bought the new Michelin Pilot Sport 5 for my Golf R as I previously had the Pilot Sport 4 tyres. What a fantastic difference these new tyre are. Theres far less noise, the grip in the wet is better and the dry grip is almost the same if not better as well. I would definitely be buying these again.
    Helpful 224 - tyre reviewed on January 13, 2022
    Given 90% while driving a BMW 140i xdrive (265/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
    245/40/18 Fronts 265/35/18 Rears Got these on my stage 2+ 470bhp/710nm M140i. I had Goodyear Super Sports on and I didn’t really gel well with them. The road feedback was definitely better (had PS4 before the super sports) but for grip Wet & Dry the PS4 was much better. This new PS5 is the same story. Fantastic grip dry and wet, little less noisy than the PS4. However the same issue with the vague steering feel is there same as the PS4. You know you have the best of the best tyre but it can be a little unpredictable if you do find the limits of the tyre to know what the tyres doing. It’s definitely noticeable after coming from the Goodyears to the Michelin’s but take nothing away the Michelin, it’s is in a different league IMO when it comes to my car and the way it’s set up anyway. I had quite a lot of traction issues with the Goodyears, didn’t seem to get the power down as smooth as I liked, and since going back to Michelin I can comfortably get the power down without my traction light thinking it’s Christmas flashing on and off. I’ll compensate the vague steering feel for the sheer grip you get back. My new choice of tyre from now!
    Helpful 85 - tyre reviewed on March 30, 2022
    Given 83% while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
    The Pilot Sport 5 is an evolution of the Pilot Sport 4, rather than a revolution. Grip is improved slightly in both wet and dry conditions, but don't expect the revolutionary difference from the Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 3 to the 4. In terms of pace, the difference is perhaps more obvious on the stopwatch than in the seat with Michelin themselves claiming only a 1.7% improvement on pace in the wet. That's not to say that it's a bad thing though - the PS4 was already at or around the top of the tables in most regards, and they are what I would consider the gold standard for a road tyre (assuming you cannot get the Pilot Sport 4 S in your fitment), so an improvement is likely to push the standard even further. As with the Pilot Sport 4, grip is fantastic in the dry, comparable to that of an AD08R semi slick, and in the wet the PS5 handles better than some road tyres do in the dry. Noise levels are broadly similar, but the sound is duller and less intrusive than the 4. Again, that's already a fairly high benchmark, as the PS4 is a quiet, refined tyre in the first place. Sidewall strength has always been a weak point for the PS4, with Michelin choosing to err on the side of comfort, and the Pilot Sport 5 is still not exemplary in this regard, but there is a modest improvement in sidewall stiffness over the 4. It's still early days for terms of wear rate so I have not rated this. Michelin claims a 15% improvement on tyre life, one of the main claims they make over the PS4, so if anything this will be the main reason to choose the PS5 over the PS4, although realistically if you are looking at the PS4 then you will care about the slight improvements in performance too. Ultimately the Pilot Sport 5 moves the goalposts a little further, but not a lot. Whilst it currently is the best tyre on the market (at least in the 17 inch fitment I run), rivals are catching up, and the next versions of their tyres could well be able to close that gap in the next few years. However, it's worth buying over the PS4 given the very similar price.
    Helpful 59 - tyre reviewed on February 23, 2022
    Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport 5? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin Pilot Sport 5 >

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 5 Reviews

Given 92% while driving a BMW M140i (245/35 R18) on a combination of roads for 1,500 average miles
    Every M140i owner knows - due to the tyre size we haven't got a lot of options in regards to tyre choices. I originally opted for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but these were shocking on all levels - which led me to take them off after two months. I then opted for a mixture of Goodyear F1 super sports on the front and Goodyear assymetric 6 on rear (heard rave reviews about both). They were both great having done 11k on them - the rears needed changing. This is when I changed to the Michelin PS5 - and WOW I am amazed at how good these are. They have transformed this car from sloppy handling having fear in corners to now having my foot on throttle. It is like a match made in heaven. Everything is better than the goodyears and pss i had before. I just wish I got them sooner - I was just skeptical after my trial with the pss
    Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on December 5, 2022
    Given 68% while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (225/50 R17) on mostly town for 100 average miles
    Newly fitted to the front axle replacing the old F1A3, with the 2yrs old PS4 at the back. The PS5 has severe understeering, comparing to F1A3 and PS4 when new, otherewise it is very much the same as the PS4. Wet grip not yet test as the weather was quite dry in recent weeks. And I prefer the sidewall design of PS4 over the PS5....
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on November 16, 2022
    All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
    Given 84% while driving a Ford Focus RS (235/35 R19) on mostly town for 6,000 average miles
    Grip in wet and dry is astonishing even with traction control off and full chat pull off they still gripped hardly any wheels pin or understeer
    Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2022
    Given 91% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTI PP DSG (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
    Having used potenza's s001 and pirelli cinturato p1 plus, i have to say these are by far the best in every aspect. The most shocking difference apart from dry and wet grip is the comfort of the ride. I can drive around with 38/40 psi without having to pay a visit to the dentist. The handling may not be as dynamic as the best of best tyres, but its way more than what the other two offered. After having used pirellis for 5k kms i can say i have recovered the dynamic handling of a GTI.
    Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on October 16, 2022
    Given 87% while driving a Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 3,000 average miles
    I bought PS5 for my Alfa GT. Perfect all rounder, which still keeps the comfort, but also wouldn't be ashamed if taken to a track day. After 5k KM with them I can say that I'm superbly pleased, and happy to see the life expectancy, plus with the added bonus of keeping the wet performance when close to end of it's lifetime. Also can confirm the wet performance is really amazing, I felt super safe during my speedy highway night drive across Europe in the pouring rain recently. Perfect tyre for GT cars in my opinion. Dry grip is confidence inspiring too, and when you overcook the corner it gradually warns you and doesn't snap in loosing grip. Easy to recommend this tyre to all driver who want a sporty, but still mostly an amazing road tyre (where it will be used 99.9% precent of the time anyway in my case). Did not review the wear as it's still early to tell. Happy Michelin customer. :)
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on August 25, 2022
    Given 94% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 3,500 average miles
    Best tyres so far that I've had so far. Excellent grip in dry and wet. Only thing average is noise. Much better handling that previous Nokian Hakka Black2 and slighty better than Bridgestone Turanza T005 but both were quieter than Michelin. Nokian and Bridgestone lasted around 25000km before they had about 4mm tread so let's see how long Michelins Will last
    Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2022
    Given 70% while driving a Audi S4 (255/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 1,000 spirited miles
    I drive the tire on an Audi S4 and will hopefully be able to change it. It's unstable on fast freeway corners, has terrible resonant frequencies that cause vibration, and doesn't run smoothly according to the Hunter Roadforce (one is 115N). I have to drive them with well over 3 bar air pressure to get a reasonably stable, vibration-free car. In contrast to the Conti winter tires and also the Bridgestone Potenza, which were fitted ex works, the tire sidewalls of the Michelin felt just too soft. And the steering behavior is just too tough. The Audi front axle isn't known for turning in anyway, but with the Potenza you had a tire that was easy to steer. The Michelins, on the other hand, didn't deserve the sport in their name. They are quiet and have good wet grip. The rest is rubbish.
    Helpful 14 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2022
    Given 95% while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
    Great tyres, they feel very refined and sophisticated with no harshness and are perfectly round. Gives a great feeling of safety with endless grip in both wet and dry conditions. Quiet too, only some "singing" around 120 km/h, but none at 110 km/h or 130 km/h
    Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on June 11, 2022
    Given 94% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK7 GTI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 25,000 spirited miles
    I do a lot of miles in my Golf GTI and these are wearing very well, 25,000 miles already and still seems like a good amount of tread left. I did rotate front to rear at 15k. Very comfortable too.
    Helpful 15 - tyre reviewed on June 2, 2022
    Given 89% while driving a BMW 530e M Sport LCI 2021 (245/40 R19) on mostly motorways for 1,250 spirited miles
    It was a comfort sporty tyre with low to moderate noisy. In dry grip, PS5 was excellent, I drive with confident with a really good handling (after running in for 500 km), not high level of understeer as the review mentioned, but there was low level of road feedback. In wet grip, I also feel confident to drive with high speed. There was no aquaplaning when I drive through a puddle on the road.
    Helpful 17 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2022
    Given 83% while driving a Mercedes Benz C300 Coupe (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
    I didn't know what to make of it when I left the tire shop. It was a strange numb feeling in the steering after coming from Bridgestone Potenza S001 MO. Everything changed once I got the first 100 km on it. The tire made the car feel like it was glued to the road and the steering felt planted, heavy. The tire has insane levels of grip. I can go way faster into corners than my previous tires. Downside is that it's not as fun or sporty but by all means not bad. I tested them on the rain with 5 degrees C outside driving 170 kmph on the highway with no issues at all and also 25 degrees C on the dry. They do feel better once warmed up but still no grip issues on cold mornings. Comfort levels are supreme! The tires have a certain finesse when hitting road imperfections or bumps and of course the sidewall looks amazing. I struggled to choose between AS 6 and PS5 but went for comfort and aquaplaning since I do not drive aggressively all the time. Overall I'm happy with my purchase but I will try AS 6 next time. Hope an OE version comes out or even PS5 in R18 sizes if it comes to Europe @Michelin !!!!!!!!
    Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on May 16, 2022
    Given 97% while driving a Volkswagen (B8) 1.4 TSI (150 Hp) DSG ACT (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
    Excellent tires absolutely famous on the wet road, excellent on dry. Even if the vehicle's drivetrain is based on the Haldex 5 principle, either dry or wet, the vehicle is exemplary neutral, even when the trunk is fully loaded. On the winding mountain highway, SUVs and much more powerful vehicles are literally declassifying. At the mountain passes, you can enjoy exemplary precision in keeping track and excellent grip.
    Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on May 1, 2022