Michelin CrossClimate 2

The Michelin CrossClimate 2 is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Michelin CrossClimate Plus.

Tyre review data from 58 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 336,711 miles driven.

The CrossClimate 2 is ranked 14th of 47 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2022 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - The best snow performance on test by a margin, rivaling winter tyre ability, shortest dry braking with good grip in dry handling, high aquaplaning resistance, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Limited grip in the wet grip tests with high levels of understeer.
  • Overall - The Michelin CrossClimate 2 wins the test in the balanced scoring, but does drop down to third in the mild climate results. Why? The CrossClimate 2 is quite frankly ridiculously good in the snow, Tyre Reviews ran the all season test alongside the winter test in the same size and if the Crossclimate 2 was in the winter tyre test, it would have been better than half of the winter tyres in the snow! It also had a very low rolling resistance, and it had the shortest dry braking, the CrossClimate party piece. However, it seems to have lost its significant lead in the dry, just 1.5% ahead of the hankook in dry braking, and it no longer has the subjective lead in dry handling, the Bridgestone won that show. But the biggest reason it could only finish third in the mild climate results was because of its wet performance, it was great in straight aquaplaning but it was only midpack in wet braking and struggled a little during the wet handling laps. The CrossClimate 2 is certainly an exceptional all season tire, and worthy of the test winning award, but we hope for the next generation of CrossClimate Michelin trade some of that incredible snow performance for a little more ability in the dry and particularly the wet to bring back the "summer tyre with winter capabilities" theme the Crossclimate is so loved for.

2022 All Season Tyre Market Overview - 3rd of 37 tyres

2022 Sport Auto All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Very good on snow with a high level of grip and a comparatively wide limit range for an all-season. Very short braking distances dry. Good feedback and high grip in dry corners, good safety reserves.
  • Negative - Slightly longer braking distances in the wet and heavy understeer in wet turns, somewhat reduced aquaplaning safety. Weakly audible howling noise between 50 and 30 km/h (determined when the vehicle coasts from 80 km/h)
  • Overall - Test Winner / Very Good.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin CrossClimate 2

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate 2

2021-10-14 - Does the New CrossClimate 2 have a Run Flat option?

There is currently only one runflat size of the CC2, 225/45 R18. You can see all the sizes available here.

2021-09-20 - How would these do on the track? Would it be possible to have these on year round PLUS use them on the racetrack for some fun driving (not trying to get the best lap times, just driving for fun).

For an all season tyre, they would perform well, but like all tyres of this category you will notice poor heat resistance and high wear when hot, so I cannot recommend driving any all season tyre on track.

2021-09-23 - How does the CrosscClimate 2 compare to a summer tyre like Bridgestone Turanza T005 or the Goodyear EfficientGrip 2 when it comes to Rolling resistance ?

Our all season tyre test has data covering this.

2022-01-08 - I want to purchase the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in the size 225/45R17 94, which is available with V and Y speed index. Both would suffice for my car as the rated top speed is 235 km/h so what are the pros and cons of V vs Y?

Generally, the lower speed rating should have a very small advantage in comfort, however some tyre manufacturers are now making the same tyre for multiple speed and load indexes the same, just having a different marking, so in this case I'd buy whatever is more wallet friendly.

2022-03-26 - Would Cross Climate be good (or best choice) as all season tyre on a Mercedes A Class (2013 - Amg line, 1.6 156bhp) - Tyre size 225/40 R18 92Y? thanks in advance

The Crossclimate 2 is an excellent all season tyre, as are the all season tyres from Continental and Goodyear. There's lots of test data on the site so show you which tyre is best in each area.

2022-11-10 - Just have to say I love your videos so I have a Mk1 audi tt the tyres are getting a little worn now so I was thinking about a all season tyre as a alternative to a winter tyre as I live in England and its not that bad would this make a good alternative to a winter tyre in England

The CC2 makes an excellent winter tyre for regions that don't see extreme winters like the UK.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate 2 Reviews

Given 81% while driving a Infiniti 2004 G35 (235/50 R18) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Car = 2014 Infiniti Q60 AWD (aka G37 Coupe / CV36 Skyline - RWD bias ATTESA AWD) Overall, pleased with the tire as I wanted a comfortable tire with long tread life and a true "All-Season" tire for the winter months as I have not yet purchased a set of dedicated summer wheels/tires yet. Coming from previous Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ which lasted around 52k of 45k mile rating with sometimes spirited driving, so have no reason to doubt Michelin's tread ware claims, at least on my vehicle. Handling in the dry, the AS3+ was better when taking curves/turns and activated the VDC/TCS less often, handling in the wet appears to be similar. Snow and ice grip, of course, are markedly better on the CrossClimate2 with all aspects of handling/acceleration/braking, whereas the AS3+ would be somewhat haphazard of anything over 1" of snow. While the tire itself is comfortable and not noisy (similar amount of perceivable noise as the AS3+), the thick tread pattern/blocks pick up large stones/pebbles like no other, which may result in annoying clinking until manually inspected and removed.
Helpful 72 - tyre reviewed on May 13, 2021
Given 93% while driving a Kia Motors Sorrento xt 3.5 v6 4x4 (235/65 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
I've had this on the Kia Sorento for around 6 months, and driven a winter in Salt Lake City which see's a lot of snow. These tires are exceptional, quiet and comfortable in the dry, good grip in the wet, and way way better than any us all season tire. Couldn't get stuck even in deep snow. Highly recommended. Only swapping them off for the summer as I want a set of ATs on for moab driving and don't want to risk a sidewall popping, otherwise I'd keep this on all year.
Helpful 46 - tyre reviewed on May 13, 2021
Given 98% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
Night and Day. Driving on regular all seasons for years, then switching to the CC2’s, I was blown away. FWD car handled slush and snow with ease, especially from starting on tricky hills and positions. Quiet and confident dry road feel, and sharp response for quick maneuvers, while coming in under 150 USD
Helpful 42 - tyre reviewed on September 29, 2021
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate 2 >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate 2 Reviews

Given 85% while driving a Hyundai Tucson (225/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 average miles
I originally posted a review of these tyres in Dec 2021, shortly after having them fitted. A year later I am still extremely pleased with them - they suit they car very well, providing extra grip and confidence without impacting comfort and noise which are easily on par with the OE tyres (ContiPremiumContact5) that were replaced. Fuel economy also improved slightly - by about 0.5mpg - after the tyre change. After covering 13K miles, tread wear has been 2.6mm at the front and 1.7mm for the rear, so with occasional wheel rotation they should last between 35 to 40K miles.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 26, 2022
Given 87% while driving a Chrysler 300C (235/55 R19) on a combination of roads for 9,000 spirited miles
I am most surprised by the comfortable ride. The agile handling especially in dry conditions is a joy. They are quiet enough although the 300C is very quiet. The braking is great all around. The wet performance could be a little better but the winter performance is outstanding period. I live in Minnesota and these tires outperform any all season M+S tires with 3PMSF rating. It is fabulous to have this level of winter performance without having to change over to winter only tires. The tracks in the snow are really cool to look at. I had OE Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that were very good performers, even in winter with my all wheel drive. They had a while to go before replacement but when I saw the CC2, I bought a set and have never looked back.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 23, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 76% while driving a Kia Motors ceed (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Good if you don't drive much and want a single tyre for the year. I am pretty happy and impressed with them overall. Better than my last (old) winter tyres in the snow. Only real negatives for me: noisy on some roads steering input is slightly delayed (which I don't mind as the ceed cd is very direct anyways)
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on November 21, 2022
Given 81% while driving a Kia Motors Pro ceed (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
Replaced my Michelin Primacy 4 by the cross climate 2 on my Kia Proceed 1.5 T-gdi. They instantly made the ride alot more smooth and quite a bit more silent aswell! The CC2 have proved to be a trusty companion in all kind of weather conditions so far. Only handling on wet and especially aquaplanning I found lacking, the tyres tend to spin through faster then I have thought in the first place of a Michelin, especially in a more hillier landscape. Road feedback isn't like a UHP tyre, but they didn't bring down the sportiness of my proceed either, the CC2 is more then responsive enough for normal driving, good feedback, it won't leave you searching how to place the car on the road. Wear is also good, have been driving them for 20000km and they nearly haven't worn down yet.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 15, 2022
Given 83% while driving a Ford Ecosport (205/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
The Michelin Crossclimate 2 is mounted on a 140hp Ecosport and is doing a great job so far. In the dry he drives very safely, in the wet he announces his grip loss early, so very controllable. We are at 246m above sea level, which is why the snow is unfortunately becoming less and less. So far we are very happy with the tire
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2022
Given 71% while driving a Nissan Murano (235/55 R20) on a combination of roads for 2,000 easy going miles
Overall a very good All weather(all season tire) but would not recommend on temperatures below -10 C. Was slipping and sliding on the first day of snow but roads are pretty icy so it was a good test for me. Decided to put in my Yokohama ice guards for confidence on icy roads. For snowy road conditions I think the tire fairs well but it will not and cannot replace a true winter tire. If you are driving on mild winter conditions where there is not much black ice this tire is ok for use all year round. I would probably not get it again as the road noise and the significant increase on gas mileage was a huge factor for me. Wanted a tire that I can have all year round but unfortunately, Canadian winters will not let that happen.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2022
Given 83% while driving a Mazda MX5 (195/50 R16) on mostly motorways for 9,000 easy going miles
Mostly driven on motorways, with some blasts off roundabouts and country roads; plenty of grip in the dry, and great in the wet having driven through two rainstorms in the last two weeks.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on October 31, 2022
Given 35% while driving a Buick Lacrosse (235/50 R18) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Just got these tires on my 2012 Buick LaCross that only has 40.000 miles on it. The tires only have 3000 miles on them and started hearing a humming noise coming from the rear tires. I had car checked for a possible wheel bearing problem which was negative. Two different mechanic's said that it was the tires making the noise. I am having a third mechanic check it in a few days and if he doesn't find any mechanical issues with the car the tires go and it will be the last michelin's I buy.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on October 30, 2022
Given 87% while driving a Peugeot 3008 (225/55 R18) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Swapped 5 year old Conti CrossContacts with these. Instant improvement in comfort - both noise and smaller imperfections on the road. I stopped complaining about the car's trim. I can say the compound is winter biased as the handling feels progressively slack above 20-25 degC. Consumption is also 0,5lt/100kms higher than previous set. This normalizes as the weather gets cooler. No snow experience yet. Only used a CC1 set on a 308 on snow. Don't have any devices to measure anything but there was nothing to complain about. CC2s are supposedly better. In any case, grip is significantly higher. I don't drive aggressively but occasional wheels spins and skids are quite rare now. I would buy again without second thought if I lived in a cooler climate but worth re-visiting reviews if resident in a mild+ climate. My car is a crossover, so basically a heightened C-compact but still it bothers me that Michelin can suggest both regular and the SUV version. Can't find a detailed comparison. I wonder if the SUV version would help with slack handling in summer.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on October 18, 2022
Given 80% while driving a Audi A1 (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 6,000 easy going miles
This tyre is fitted to a 5 door A1. The purpose is a year round everyday tyre legally capable of ski season road trips to the Alps. Consequently, a very safe tyre for UK conditions year round. For non-spirited driving, the tyre is excellent, quiet, efficient. When driven calmly, the tyre performs equally well in dry, wet and on long road trips to the Alps. When I am driving faster, I feel the snow bias limits handling speed in UK conditions and I cannot drive the A1 as quickly on a greasy UK B road as I could something like the TS870 winter tyre. For me in a faster car, it isn't a tyre I would choose.... the search goes on for the optimum tyre on COLD, greasy roads in cold ambient temperatures for fast road use. However, for my wife in an A1, excellent and safe, all year round. I think it is an excellent price, often discounted, well stocked and I would recommend it for anyone that isn't spirited in their driving.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2022
Given 87% while driving a MINI Clubman (215/60 R16) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
Great year-round tire for my AWD hatchback in Canada. From deep snow in the backcountry, to highway cruise in the summer, it adapts great. I am confident in them when we get 25-degree celcius temperature swings within a 12 hour period.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on October 10, 2022
Given 71% while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (235/40 R19) on a combination of roads for 12,000 average miles
Dry handling is ok but wet handling is really bad. There is a lot of understeering and poor traction on wet. I don’t know if it’s only a problem of my product but I would never buy this tyre again.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2022