Hankook Kinergy 4S2

In order to be equipped for all weathers and temperatures, the new Kinergy 4S² offers specially balanced and constant performance features across all seasons. This is made possible by a directional tread being used for Hankook all-weather tyres for the first time, combined with a particularly innovative polymer silica tread mixture.

The Kinergy RS 2 is the 2022 Auto Express all season tyre of the year.

This tyre replaced the Hankook Kinergy 4S.

Tyre review data from 17 tyre reviews averaging 74% over 107,012 miles driven.

The Kinergy 4S2 is ranked 30th of 47 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

2022 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Best aquaplaning resistance, extremely short wet braking and excellent wet handling, excellent grip in all snow tests, high grip levels in the dry, low noise.
  • Negative - High rolling resistance.
  • Overall - The Hankook Kinergy 4S2 H750 finishes an impressive second in the balanced results, but even more impressively it wins with the mild climate score weighting! The Hankook was just incredibly consistent, finishing first place in both aquaplaning tests, second in wet handling, wet braking and dry braking, third in snow handling, and fourth in snow traction, snow braking and dry handling! It's only let down, which we've seen in other tests, is an increased rolling resistance, but given how exceptional it is in every other category, I highly recommend this tyre. Outstanding work by Hankook.

2022 All Season Tyre Market Overview - 5th of 37 tyres

2022 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 3rd of 17 tyres

• Positive - Winter pro with convincing driving characteristics on snow, short wet and dry braking distances, balanced comfort, well priced.
  • Negative - Average mileage and rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Good.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Hankook Kinergy 4S2

Questions and Answers for the Hankook Kinergy 4S2

2018-12-06 - Hi. Do the 4S2 tyres have rim protectors?

Not in the sizes I've seen, but rim protection can vary from size to size so it would be worth contacting Hankook to find out whether the Kinergy 4S2 has rim protection.

2022-09-16 - I’m looking for all weather for my ID.3 the handbook look good but all guides say I need the 4S 2X I take it the difference is in the weight limit but are they the same tyre apart from this?

As long as you can get the correct load rating the non X you'll be fine, but yes in theory the 4S2X will be modified towards carrying higher loads.

2022-09-27 - Hi everybody, Hankook 4s2 question. In 225/50 17 does the tyre 4s2 come in run flat form?

Yes, it seems there is a HRS (Hankook Runflat System) version of the tyre available in 225/50 R17.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Hankook Kinergy 4S2 Reviews

Given 81% while driving a SEAT 1.4 TSI (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Very good all round tire
Helpful 87 - tyre reviewed on August 20, 2020
Given 67% while driving a Honda Civic 1.5T (225/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
Purchased a set of Kinergy 4s2 after watching Jonathan Benson's review, which suggested the Kinergy 4s2 was better than a lot of popular AS tyres (e.g. Michelin CrossClimates Plus, Bridgestone WeatherControl, and Continental AllSeasonContact) I have driven on them for around 1000 miles, so here are my initial thoughts about the Kinergy 4s2. I used Michelin CrossClimates Plus on this car before, therefore some comparisons will be discussed in this review. Pros: - Quiet - The sound isolation on my Civic X isn't fantastic, quite a lot of tyre noise inside the cabin when driving on motorways. Comparing to Michelin Primacy 4 and Michelin CrossClimates Plus, the Hankook Kinergy 4s2 is significantly quieter. I reduced my stereo volume by two levels after the Kinergy 4s2 fitted. - Comfort ride - I subjectively think the Kinergy 4s2 is comfortable, especially on bumpy roads. - Competitive Price - On the day of my purchase, the Kinergy 4s2 was at least 14% cheaper than Michelin CrossClimates Plus, Bridgestone WeatherControl, and Goodyear 4Seasons Gen 3. -Wet & dry braking -Good wet and dry braking performance. In normal usage, sometimes I forget I have the AS tyres on when braking, which is perfect. Cons:- Handling - A bit roly-poly and average feedback in general, which is expected. The most disappointing bit is that the tyres tend to understeer easily when you turn a corner a bit aggressive. Personally, I think the handling (especially dry handling) is a bit disappointing compared to Michelin CrossClimates Plus and I now have to drive a lot more gently. --I have not had a chance to drive them in ice/snow conditions, therefore I am not able to review how good they are in winter. Bottom line: Generally it is a good pick for day-to-day driving: comfortable, quiet, fairly priced, and with a reasonable grip. However, if you are more demanding in terms of handling, personally think there are better picks in the market.
Helpful 61 - tyre reviewed on December 1, 2020
Given 71% while driving a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,600 average miles
Does not give confidence after 150-170 km / h
Helpful 61 - tyre reviewed on December 4, 2020
Have you driven on the Hankook Kinergy 4S2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Hankook Kinergy 4S2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Hankook Kinergy 4S2 >

Latest Hankook Kinergy 4S2 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 9,000 spirited miles
Excellent tire and far outperformed the OEM tires (ContiProContact), especially in the snow. Very good in the snow and dry with slight weakness in wet breaking (subjective, not measured). Got me through a very bad snowstorm when they were new and passed many vehicles that had slid off the road. Even had good traction uphill. Tread depth after about 9,000 miles is at 7/32" (starting depth at 10/32") on the North American compound (warranty is 60,000 miles to 2/32"). Looking forward to see how it performs this winter provided there is adequate snow to drive through. I'm also writing this review because it seems that the tire is either discontinued entirely in the US or Tire Rack is electing not to carry it anymore. Further, I have noticed that many reviews on the tire appear to have been scrubbed from the Tire Rack website (I wrote one and was able to find it a week ago and now it is gone now that they no longer carry my tire size). I think it is a shame that this tire will no longer be offered as an option because it was a good buy compared to the more expensive Cross Climate 2. I know you can get tires from other places than Tire Rack but it is a major distributor and I use their website as a reference on what tires are available. Regardless, they should not be deleting or hiding reviews.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2022
Given 81% while driving a Mazda 6 2.0 D (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
Excellent all season tyre. Confortable at dry and wet, even at light snow.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on October 20, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 61% while driving a MINI Cooper S (195/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
Dry: good dry performance for an all season tyre, I have not had to do any emergency stops but have done some fast cornering and the tyre does lean onto the sidewall but is good for an AS tyre and feels fairly rigid although this may be because I have a tyre with a higher load and speed index than the car requires.

Wet: performance here is very good and stays very good when it gets cold as you would expect from an AS tyre, handling in the wet is also very good.

Snow: these tyres *almost* feel like a full winter tyre in the snow, amazing traction on fresh and compacted snow, I was able to climb steep hills in a front wheel drive car with these following my brother driving will full winter tyres and neither of us had any slip and I was also able to stop fully on a snow covered hill.

Ice: ice performance is good but here is when you see the tyre lose out to a full winter tyre. You can stop on ice covered hills and not slide which is amazing as when i got out of the car I almost fell over as it was so icy. But when trying to climb hills on ice they aren't amazing as my front wheel drive open differential car couldn't climb even a few feet up an ice covered hill. Granted it was basically sheet ice so I wasn't expecting it to get up but I suspect a full winter tyre would have done better.

Wear: This is the main reason I won't be buying this tyre again. They have been on for only 8000 miles and are approaching 4mm which is where their snow performance will drop off and as I'm using them as a winter tyre this is quite important. I will be switching to something like the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen-3 to get better wear.

Comfort: very comfortable tyres but sill offer good feedback for an AS tyre Noise: very quiet in this size, much more so than my summer set with UHP tyres but that is to be expected.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on September 28, 2022
Given 67% while driving a SEAT Ateca Xcellence (215/50 R18) on a combination of roads for 0 easy going miles
Just a safe tyre for all seasons, little snow & ice but 95% not.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on September 28, 2022
Given 82% while driving a Volkswagen Tiguan (245/50 R18) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
Fitted these to our family car a 2015 vw tiguan 4 motion, and they transformed the handling for the better really making the most for vws 4 motion system particularly in bad weather i.e rain/snow it never spun a wheel just gripped and got on with business which for me was piece of mind knowing my wife and kids were in safe hands what ever the weather, dry grip was also impressive as to was the tread life will certainly recommend.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2022
Given 83% while driving a MG ZS EV (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 20,000 spirited miles
Have previously used similar on a MK5 Golf, and was very impressed, so I figured it would be worth a try on my ZS. So far, snow performance hasn't been measured because I just missed it in 2021, and 2022 has been unusually snow free in my part of Scotland. Life has been longer than on my Golf, even with the extra few hundred kg in the ZS. Tread depth is still above 4mm despite now covering around 20k miles, and with 1 tyre rotation. For me, 4mm is about as far as I'd want to take them into winter, so they'll likely be replaced by autumn. Overall grip has been good in most situations, but it does start to understeer when pushing on in some sharp corners, especially in the wet. The Golf did the same, and there's enough warning that you can ease off a bit before disaster ensues. For £100 a corner, I'll be sticking with these for quite a while
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on May 14, 2022
Given 93% while driving a Subaru BRZ (/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,212 spirited miles
My first time buying Hankook tires, I used the 4S2 as my winter tires because I cannot tolerate the soft sidewall of studless winter tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 was my summer setup. Overall I am very happy about my 4S2. Dry (9/10): A step down from the PS4 but that is to be expected. Steering response is a little bit slower and ultimate traction is lower, but I am still very satisfied given the type of tire the 4S2 is. Still far better than the Michelin Xice Xi3. Wet (10/10): I live in the PNW and we have lots of rain, these tires have strong hydroplane resistance and strong lateral traction in the wet. Braking is confident, too. Virtually no compromise compared to the Pilot Sport 4. Comfort (9/10): The ride is good, the tire smooths out impacts well, but the noise on the rough surfaces at a high speed is relatively pronounced. Winter (10/10): My BRZ is an RWD coupe, which is supposed to be very weak in the snow. These tires provide more than adequate traction on snow, no problem to get off the line whatsoever in 2-3 inches of snow. Handling is pretty stable and predictable. On the ice, it is noticeably weaker than the Studless Xi3, but that is to be expected. Overall I am very happy with them in the first winter. Jonathan was right, this is a very balanced all-weather tire with no real weaknesses. I will report back if there are any updates.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on April 20, 2022
Given 60% while driving a BMW 520d (225/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 0 miles
Hi there, I've been driving the tires for 6 thousand kilometers and they are the first all-season tires I've ever driven. All in all, I find this tire to be a great compromise in relation to price and performance/driving characteristics. When it comes to dry and wet grip (even when cornering) I can't find any serious weaknesses. The tires are quiet, but unfortunately, between 120-140 km/h, I hear a slight, minimal howl (can be heard when the radio is switched off). This was not the case with the summer tires (also Hankook). When you're driving faster, i.e. from 170 km/h, there is a bit of a lack of feeling for the road, but you can deal with that. The Hankook behaves safely in the snow, it also depends on the driving style. In my opinion, with a reasonable driving style/speed, there are no major weaknesses. I haven't ridden the tire with aquaplaning & ice yet. All in all, I can recommend the tire.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2022
Given 70% while driving a MG ZS (225/55 R18) on mostly motorways for 500 average miles
Super tire, great adhesion to the road, but too noisy for an EV. The lack of engine noise needs a quiet tyre.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on January 18, 2022
Given 73% while driving a BMW 525xi (225/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Great grip, comfortabele and good price. However, between 130-140 km/h there is a really annoying "whining" noise comming from the tires. Because of this I would not buy again despite the positives.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on January 1, 2022
Given 89% while driving a BMW X5 3.0 diesel (255/50 R19) on mostly town for 3,500 easy going miles
very good tires with a high steering response, a pleasure to drive