Michelin CrossClimate+

In February 2017, Michelin launched the MICHELIN CrossClimate+ which will continue to combine the best of both summer and winter tyre worlds with long-lasting performance.

This tyre replaced the Michelin CrossClimate and this tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Tyre review data from 96 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 987,990 miles driven.

The CrossClimate+ is ranked 12th of 43 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2021 AZ All Season Tyre Test - 4th of 9 tyres

• Overall - Consistently good results for the highly recommendable Michelin CrossClimate+, when it's wet or dry. Reliable on snowy roads.

Michelin CrossClimate 2 VS Michelin CrossClimate+ - 2nd of 2 tyres

• Overall - The Michelin CrossClimate+ has been testing well since 2017, rarely finishing out of the top five, even in 2020. The replacement Michelin CrossClimate 2 was launched in September 2021, and improves on the CrossClimate plus in the dry, wet, snow and rolling resistance.

2020 All Season Tyre Market Overview - 32 Tyre Braking Test - 5th of 33 tyres

255/35 R19 96Y XL   C B 69 11.11kgs
235/45 R19 99Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs
245/45 R19 102Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

2017-01-17 - I am considering buying a set of Crossclimates for my Jaguar - the size is 225/60 16 102W. Discovering the tyre is about to be replaced by the Crossclimate+ is making me hesitate! Michelin introduced the original Crossclimate in a fairly narrow set of sizes - my 225/60 16 was not one of them. Is Michelin likely to do the same thing with the new Crossclimate+ - with the slightly less popular tyre sizes like mine being introduced later - in which case I should just go ahead and order the original Crossclimate, rather than wait for the Crossclimate+? Does anyone know how Michelin has improved the tyre? - Is the new tyre a better compromise (better warm dry braking and handling) or is it less fundamental tweaking?

Our full report of what has changed in the new CrossClimate+ can be found here. The sizes will roll out in stages as before, so if you need new tyres we'd suggest getting not waiting for the CrossClimate+!

2017-08-30 - I am considering buying either 4 Michelin CC Plus or Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrical 3 for my Jag XF 2.2, tyre size 245/45/R18. I live in semi rural Wales just outside Cardiff and although I probably wont be exceeding 10,000 miles a year, I will be driving around the welsh valleys on A and B roads with my new job more than I have previously when I used to catch a train more often than not. Its the million dollar question of whether to pay for winter tyres or just a good quality summer tyre and now we have the option of an all-season/ weather tyre. I don't do any high performance driving etc. We are yet to have another harsh winter since 2012 but no doubt this year will be the year. I was after some advice on the suitability of these two tyres for my car and driving situation as a good all rounders but being able to handle a cold snap should it arrive. Also whether I could realistically consider a slightly cheaper tyre that would fit the bill? Thanks There is a £30 difference in price on blackcircles.com

If you need to stay mobile when the bad weather comes, and don't want to pair the Goodyear summer tyre with a full winter tyre, the CrossClimate is your best option.

2018-09-14 - Can someone please help me to decide between 91H and 94V XL. I am going to get 4 of Michelin cross climate plus tyres in 205/55 R16 tyres for Mercedes B160 Sport. The current factory fitted tyres are 215/40 R18 89W XL contis.As I already had 16" wheels with winter tyres so I decided to go with cross climates instead of changing wheels and tyres twice a year. Now I am struggling to decide that should I get the specified speed and load rating of 91H with softer sidewalls or should I go with 94V XL with stronger sidewall. I don't mind paying little bit extra if there is any benefit. So can someone please help.

Personally I would run the stiffer sidewall option where available as I prefer a sharper steering response over comfort.

2018-11-26 - are these run flat tyres

I don't believe there are any runflat sizes of the CrossClimate yet.

2019-03-19 - I would love a set of CrossClimate+ on my car for a hustle free UK driving but iv got an 19" alloy with 225/40. They seem to produce at least one tyre in 19" but its a 255 and surely if they produce one they will produce others... My question is do they have other 19" sizes? Are they just unavailable atm?

19" all season tyres are currently low demand, so there's a chance it's not produced. Email Michelin to see if it's on their roadmap.

2019-09-25 - I live in Yorkshire and drive an M140i. I am considering the CrossClimate+ as my only tyre but not sure if this is too much of a compromise in the summer? The car currently has Pilot Super Sports. Price is not important but driving enjoyment and safety all year round is.

If driving enjoyment is key to you, your best option is to use the CrossClimate+ as a winter tyre, and switch back to your summer tyres in the summer.

2019-11-05 - Can you tell me what the thread depth is on the New Michelin CROSSCLIMATE SUV car tires?

The tread depth for the CrossClimate+ can vary by size, so it's best to ask michelin directly. The CrossClimate+ usually starts between 6mm and 7.5mm.

2019-11-19 - I am looking at getting some new tyres for my car for winter would you say the Michelin crossclimate+ will be good for using all year or I can get another set of wheels for winter use for not that much money and put the cross climates on those to just use in the winter. I currently have Michelin summer tyres that need replacing anyway. I am a tyre fitter anyway so fitting isn’t a problem and can always swap wheels easily. What sort of difference would we feel in dry summer conditions with the cross climate.

The CrossClimate is the most summer feeling of the all season tyres, but you will notice a reduction in handling qualities compared to your summer tyres. If you're a tyre fitter, I suggest doing the test yourself and letting us know via a review!

2020-05-13 - I am delighted with the review in Finland of TYREREVIEWS, and I am running low on rubber on the front axle on my C class , w204, 225/45/ 17" . I am moving from Oxford to Norwich this summer, and when the fall hits us, I am wondering if the Michellin CC+ are still a good allrounder for the temperature changes, as that area seems to be drier than where I have lived until now?

The CC+ is an excellent all season tyre at all temperatures. A summer tyre is still the better option if you can avoid snow and very cold temperatures, or live in an area that doesn't get this weather, but if you're looking to fit an all season tyre, the CrossClimate+ is the best option for the majority of the UK

CrossClimate Plus Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 87% while driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 200 easy going miles
Bought set of 4 new Cross Climate XL from Halfords a week ago and only covered approximately 200 miles.

So it is still very early days BUT I have noticed a lot less road noise and much more responsive steering.

My car came with Continental tyres as OEM & has covered just over 21K miles from new - was registered March 2014.
512 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2017
Given 60% while driving a Mazda 6 (215/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
This tyre is interesting, performed very well the first year, even on snow.
Then the second year it transformed completely, it is practically useless.
Also dissapointed at he uneven wear, which results in droning and discomfort. Will not buy again.
65 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Honda Accord Euro (145/50 R17) on mostly town for 1,500 average miles
Purchased tyre after all the good reviews but felt disappointed when driving car in winter. I previously had goodyear vector 4seasons tyres and they were the true all season tyre. Yes the mitchelin are good in dry and wet conditions but not good for winter as I found out. (Nearly wrecked my car as my car slid) I feel I've just waisted 600 pounds. Definitely will go back to goodyear vector tyres without a shadow of doubt.
45 - tyre reviewed on March 31, 2018
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate Plus tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate Plus? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate Plus >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 84% while driving a Volkswagen Touran 5T 2.0 TDI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 20,000 easy going miles
Since my initial review 18 months ago, I've covered 20,000 miles on these tyres on a mix of UK country roads and motorways. 3 tyres are at 4mm tread depth and the one remaining has 3.5mm. Therefore I would say that considering these tyres are designed to be "safe when worn" (https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/home-auto/long-lasting-performances), I will replace them at around the 2mm mark, which means cosnidering they were 7mm when new they can be considered as about 60-70% worn - Hence I can expect a total lifespan of just under 30,000 miles from them. I consider this outstanding when most other tyres struggle to last much more than half this - which means that Michelin's argument that they are not expensive if used until actually worn is correct, although the initial purchase price does hurt at the time!! There have been a few times during this time that I've had to brake hard and I've yet to activate the car's ABS system - So the grip levels are good enough for me and my eco-driving style for sure! My only criticism of these tyres is they are not great on icy roads - vastly better than other cars I've driven on the same roads on the same days fitted with Chinese summer tyres mind, but you still have to be careful and take it easy. The CrossClimate2 appears to rate much better in this respect, so there is no question of anything else replacing these. In conclusion, Michelin are miles ahead of the game with these tyres and they are worth every penny of their price. Buy with confidence.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 14, 2022
Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen Tiguan Escape 2.0tdi (235/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 14,000 average miles
Excellent tyres with good dry / wet grip and braking. We haven't had any snow so I can't comment on the snow grip but they work well in cold weather. The ride almost seems a bit 'soft' on the tyres although there's no lack of grip or steering feedback which makes for a very comfortable ride and I don't notice them being particularly noisy. I went for the CrossClimate+ rather than the CrossClimate SUV for the Tiguan, it is just a jacked up golf after all, perhaps that's why they're quieter and they seem to work well with the car. I've had a few problems towing a loaded horse trailer uphill on wet grass but any road tyre would struggle under those conditions and very few SUVs would be used like that anyway, in the normal SUV habitat of tarmac roads and carparks where going off-road means parking on the pavement they can't be faulted. Although they weren't cheap to buy they currently they have 5-6mm tread after 14,000 miles and they don't seem to have lost any grip so they look to be good for 30k miles which makes them good value overall. I would buy again but I can't as they've been replaced by the CrossClimate2 which promises to be even better.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 13, 2022
Given 91% while driving a Ford C Max 2.0 TDCI (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 50,000 average miles
I've used a set of these tyres for 4 years and 50,000 miles, I rotate them front to back at every service interval for even tread wear and now have 2-3mm of tread left on them and I am only changing them now as I want the full 8mm of tread depth for the coming winter. Overall I'm delighted with them and I am now buying a set of CrossClimate 2 to replace them. The dry and wet grip with these tyres has always been good. I used to fit winter tyres for the cold seasons but I have never been stuck in snow with these CrossClimate+ tyres. They are very quiet (much quieter than the Bridgestone/Hankook combination I previously used) and I have reduced my running costs as I do more mpg now too. Overall they have been exceptional for what I need them for.
3 - tyre reviewed on December 6, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 50,000 average miles
Excellent in dry, good in wet conditions, reasonable performance on snow (unless you go to the mountains daily in winter). The wear is very low, using the tirs for 50.000 km, and they still have more to run.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 3, 2021
Given 79% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7.5 1.0 TSI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Way more comfortable than summer tyres. Some rattles in my car disappeared on these! Handling a little more 'spongy' than summer on cornering fast. Over 65mph on motorway notice a little more vibration through steering wheel - not much though. Did the job at 26C during summer of 2020. Finally had chance to try in snow early 2021. Amazing - well only ever driven summer tyres - actually could stop car and climb hills! Confident to drive in snow for once. Not convinced they are much better than summers on ice though. I've been on summers since March and about to change back to CC+ again, as low temperatures again in Nov for winter. Still one winter left in them. I know they are meant to be all season, but the summers are more fun to drive when warmer. So still switching. Recommended. Although CC2 will be next purchase. Fife, Scotland.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2021
Given 88% while driving a Audi A5 2.0TFSI Quattro (225/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Only done 5 k mls in cold temps, no snow or ice yet. Use cc and cc+as winter tyre on spare set of wheels, as used 830 p the same way
0 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 34,000 average miles
Just replacing the two front tyres at 34,000 miles (down to 3mm). They have been an excellent tyre. Coped well with heat, rain and in moderate snow but a little lacking on hills with significant snow. I was about to switch to full winter tyres until I realised that Michelin have updated to Cross Climate 2 so am fitting these. Hopefully, the improvements in snow handling will resolve any issues that I found.
3 - tyre reviewed on September 28, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Volvo 940 turbo (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
These are entirely decent tyres. Good points are wear and general grip. Comfort is decent as are noise levels even though they are not as quiet on rough surfaces. The negatives are aquaplaning resistance is a bit lower than I hoped for but I think it is a trade-off due to the directional tread needing to push all the water out to the sides. The other thing is high speed stability is not as good as tyres with grooves running around the tread but the Cross Climate Plus isn't a tyre focused for 180km/hr or so on autobahns. They provide decent feedback to ne able to use all the available grip in all conditions and after 2 years and 20000 miles, they still have just under 5mm of tread. I have never had tyres last so long. For this reason they are economical to run and I have not noticed a difference in noise or handling characteristics unlike the nasty Federal tyres they replaced. I have found they wear evenly but they will wear the shoulders if the tempo in bends is not kept in check.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 15, 2021
Given 41% while driving a Lexus IS300 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
I have used Crossclimate and Crossclimate Plus, both with good ride comfort and reasonable cabin noise. The earlier model had an issue with punctures - this one doesn't. However, while initially handling and wet road performance was good with the CC+, by the second year (I use these as winters and have a separate summer set of wheels and tyres) I found the tyres to steer scarily in wet conditions and moved them to the rear, where they have been fine. The Gen 1 Lexus IS300 SportCross barely has traction control and power to the rear wheels usually slip easily but wet braking has been fine (not handling). I have not used them in snow and ice as there hasn't been any for the last two years in the north London area. However, I bought Continental All Season Contact for the front axle and while the ride is harder and cabin noise the same, handling in cold, wet winters is much better on the Continentals. Both the Michelin and Continental all season tyres cause much heavier steering that when using my summer tyre set, however.
5 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2021
Given 62% while driving a Ford Focus (235/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
Car has vague steering at times, some wobbly steering on certain surfaces, noise is loud and sidewalls are very soft on lose surfaces as had a crack appear today and very loud noise
1 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Volvo v70 D5 (255/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 35 average miles
Expected better, but the heavier front end (diesel) and driving style doesn't help life span.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2021
Given 78% while driving a Subaru Outback 3.0L (215/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Although I live in Cyprus which is practically summer for most of the year, I decided to go for these all season tyres for a few reasons. First of all, whenever it rains here the roads become quite dangerous since the dry grip isn’t great to start with, so when wet they become sludgy and slippery quite easily. Aquaplaning is also an issue in these roads. So a good summer tyre with great wet handling characteristics is in my opinion essential in these conditions. The CrossClimate plus performed very well under these conditions, with good dry grip and handling in very hot conditions as well as excellent wet driving characteristics. Snow driving is almost as good as a good snow tyre and with the Outback’s superb awd system, I was almost unstoppable! What surprised me however was the unbelievably good behaviour of these tyres in sand and deep sludgy mud! They were far superior to any road-biased 4x4 tyre I ever used and this is definitely a great selling point for my needs! Fast driving and sporty handling were never their best attributes but I am ok with that and noise levels above 120 km/h are quite high. But again, this is not something unexpected and it’s quite obvious from the tyre’s aggressive V-esque tread. Wear is very good and tyre behaviour remains almost unchanged as the tyres wear out; something that Michelin excels at achieving. Overall I am very happy with these and would definitely recommend them.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 9, 2021