Michelin CrossClimate+

In February 2017, Michelin launched the MICHELIN CrossClimate+ which will continue to combine the best of both summer and winter tyre worlds with long-lasting performance.

This tyre replaced the Michelin CrossClimate and this tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Tyre review data from 82 tyre reviews averaging 84% over 754,455 miles driven.

The CrossClimate+ is ranked 7th of 38 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2020 All Season Tyre Market Overview - 32 Tyre Braking Test - 5th of 33 tyres

2020 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test - 5th of 13 tyres

• Positive - Proven all season pattern with balance high performances, good snow traction, stable handling with good steering precision, short wet braking.
  • Negative - Minor weakness in curved aquaplaning.

2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - 5th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Best on test in the dry with good handling and short dry braking.
  • Negative - Average wet braking, most expensive tyre on test, higher levels of noise.
  • Overall - The CrossClimate+ excels in the dry and is fine in the snow, but couldn't match the latest generation of all season tyres in the wet. The CrossClimate 2 will be coming to market in 2021.

Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C B 69 11.11kgs
235/45 R19 99Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs
245/45 R19 102Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

2017-01-17 - I am considering buying a set of Crossclimates for my Jaguar - the size is 225/60 16 102W. Discovering the tyre is about to be replaced by the Crossclimate+ is making me hesitate! Michelin introduced the original Crossclimate in a fairly narrow set of sizes - my 225/60 16 was not one of them. Is Michelin likely to do the same thing with the new Crossclimate+ - with the slightly less popular tyre sizes like mine being introduced later - in which case I should just go ahead and order the original Crossclimate, rather than wait for the Crossclimate+? Does anyone know how Michelin has improved the tyre? - Is the new tyre a better compromise (better warm dry braking and handling) or is it less fundamental tweaking?

Our full report of what has changed in the new CrossClimate+ can be found here. The sizes will roll out in stages as before, so if you need new tyres we'd suggest getting not waiting for the CrossClimate+!

2017-08-30 - I am considering buying either 4 Michelin CC Plus or Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrical 3 for my Jag XF 2.2, tyre size 245/45/R18. I live in semi rural Wales just outside Cardiff and although I probably wont be exceeding 10,000 miles a year, I will be driving around the welsh valleys on A and B roads with my new job more than I have previously when I used to catch a train more often than not. Its the million dollar question of whether to pay for winter tyres or just a good quality summer tyre and now we have the option of an all-season/ weather tyre. I don't do any high performance driving etc. We are yet to have another harsh winter since 2012 but no doubt this year will be the year. I was after some advice on the suitability of these two tyres for my car and driving situation as a good all rounders but being able to handle a cold snap should it arrive. Also whether I could realistically consider a slightly cheaper tyre that would fit the bill? Thanks There is a £30 difference in price on blackcircles.com

If you need to stay mobile when the bad weather comes, and don't want to pair the Goodyear summer tyre with a full winter tyre, the CrossClimate is your best option.

2018-09-14 - Can someone please help me to decide between 91H and 94V XL. I am going to get 4 of Michelin cross climate plus tyres in 205/55 R16 tyres for Mercedes B160 Sport. The current factory fitted tyres are 215/40 R18 89W XL contis.As I already had 16" wheels with winter tyres so I decided to go with cross climates instead of changing wheels and tyres twice a year. Now I am struggling to decide that should I get the specified speed and load rating of 91H with softer sidewalls or should I go with 94V XL with stronger sidewall. I don't mind paying little bit extra if there is any benefit. So can someone please help.

Personally I would run the stiffer sidewall option where available as I prefer a sharper steering response over comfort.

2018-11-26 - are these run flat tyres

I don't believe there are any runflat sizes of the CrossClimate yet.

2019-03-19 - I would love a set of CrossClimate+ on my car for a hustle free UK driving but iv got an 19" alloy with 225/40. They seem to produce at least one tyre in 19" but its a 255 and surely if they produce one they will produce others... My question is do they have other 19" sizes? Are they just unavailable atm?

19" all season tyres are currently low demand, so there's a chance it's not produced. Email Michelin to see if it's on their roadmap.

2019-09-25 - I live in Yorkshire and drive an M140i. I am considering the CrossClimate+ as my only tyre but not sure if this is too much of a compromise in the summer? The car currently has Pilot Super Sports. Price is not important but driving enjoyment and safety all year round is.

If driving enjoyment is key to you, your best option is to use the CrossClimate+ as a winter tyre, and switch back to your summer tyres in the summer.

2019-11-05 - Can you tell me what the thread depth is on the New Michelin CROSSCLIMATE SUV car tires?

The tread depth for the CrossClimate+ can vary by size, so it's best to ask michelin directly. The CrossClimate+ usually starts between 6mm and 7.5mm.

2019-11-19 - I am looking at getting some new tyres for my car for winter would you say the Michelin crossclimate+ will be good for using all year or I can get another set of wheels for winter use for not that much money and put the cross climates on those to just use in the winter. I currently have Michelin summer tyres that need replacing anyway. I am a tyre fitter anyway so fitting isn’t a problem and can always swap wheels easily. What sort of difference would we feel in dry summer conditions with the cross climate.

The CrossClimate is the most summer feeling of the all season tyres, but you will notice a reduction in handling qualities compared to your summer tyres. If you're a tyre fitter, I suggest doing the test yourself and letting us know via a review!

2020-05-13 - I am delighted with the review in Finland of TYREREVIEWS, and I am running low on rubber on the front axle on my C class , w204, 225/45/ 17" . I am moving from Oxford to Norwich this summer, and when the fall hits us, I am wondering if the Michellin CC+ are still a good allrounder for the temperature changes, as that area seems to be drier than where I have lived until now?

The CC+ is an excellent all season tyre at all temperatures. A summer tyre is still the better option if you can avoid snow and very cold temperatures, or live in an area that doesn't get this weather, but if you're looking to fit an all season tyre, the CrossClimate+ is the best option for the majority of the UK

CrossClimate Plus Prices

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 87% while driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 200 easy going miles
Bought set of 4 new Cross Climate XL from Halfords a week ago and only covered approximately 200 miles.

So it is still very early days BUT I have noticed a lot less road noise and much more responsive steering.

My car came with Continental tyres as OEM & has covered just over 21K miles from new - was registered March 2014.
505 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2017
Given 60% while driving a Mazda 6 (215/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
This tyre is interesting, performed very well the first year, even on snow.
Then the second year it transformed completely, it is practically useless.
Also dissapointed at he uneven wear, which results in droning and discomfort. Will not buy again.
56 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Honda Accord Euro (145/50 R17) on mostly town for 1,500 average miles
Purchased tyre after all the good reviews but felt disappointed when driving car in winter. I previously had goodyear vector 4seasons tyres and they were the true all season tyre. Yes the mitchelin are good in dry and wet conditions but not good for winter as I found out. (Nearly wrecked my car as my car slid) I feel I've just waisted 600 pounds. Definitely will go back to goodyear vector tyres without a shadow of doubt.
41 - tyre reviewed on March 31, 2018
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate Plus tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate Plus? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate Plus >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 84% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK6 1.6 tdi (195/65 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 18,000 easy going miles
Fitted for 2 years now, and, after recent snow, Have experienced all conditions. For general use, excluding very progressive driving, I cannot fault these tyres. At first fitting, road noise slightly higher than previous summer Conti's until bedded in. Very impressed with comfort and handling on all road surfaces. Water clearance is good, and, with present tread depth, no aquaplaning. Provide high confidence in snow - yes they will break traction, particularly on cornering, but only when pushed. But they give far greater control than summer tyres in snow. On compressed snow/ice their advantages are limited however. Most impressed with wear rate. At 18k, with relaxed driving style, still have 4mm front, 5mm rear, and have just stopped front to rear. As these have directional tread they cannot be switched to alternate sides (for a diagonal switch). I have these also fitted to my Ford S-Max (15). Even more impressed with those - though being 225's gives the comfort. I will certainly be sticking with these and looking forward to the latest upgrade in compound. Having previously been a summer/winter wheel switcher every six months for about five seasons (on my old Galaxy), these really are a great compromise.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2021
Given 89% while driving a BMW X3 (225/60 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Replaced the original Pirelli Cintrirano P7 run flats on my wife's BMW X3, which she had for 30k miles from new. The Crossclimate+ are better in every way. Obviously they are much lighter as they are not run flat tyres and as such the car as a whole feels lighter and more responsive. Also comfort, handling and noise are significantly better and improve the vehicle a great deal. In my opinion these are the perfect none performance tyres for the UK.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 1, 2021
Given 81% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,500 average miles
Fitted to a Skoda Superb 4x4 V6 and changed from summer Bridgestone Potenza. It's a new car to me but I am very impressed with the tyres. In the recent snow and ice there was no hint of the car becoming stuck with only minor slippage on ice. This was on a mini roundabout so maybe the white paint made it worse… On dry and wet roads it's really like a summer tyre but with a little less feedback. This for me is a good thing but others would disagree. You get a very comfy ride even on low profile tyres as fitted on my car. Only down side really is the noise at speeds over 40mph on crappy UK roads. On the M25 there is a drone in most areas, but when the tarmac is sometimes good there is no noise at all. At low speeds noise is very good, quieter than any other tyre I have used. These do not ride like other all seasons (I have Goodyear Vector Gen 2 and Vredestein Quatrac on other cars). The Michelin emulate a summer tyre in terms of ride harshness and and steering characteristics. I would buy again for performance cars but would probably go for cheaper versions for lower powered cars. I have driven in snow and ice in Finland and Iceland with studded tyres so know these are not as good as Nordics, but they are more than adequate for UK and most of Europe.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2021
Given 70% while driving a Ford Mondeo (215/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 8,000 easy going miles
Fitted to rear only so cant comment on many of the sections. Can only comment on snow and ice due to recent snow in the UK recently and fitted to a Mondeo hatchback. They do grip well albeit slide a little but given the very few sipes and not on the driving wheels they seem pretty good. In terms of dry and wrt grip again cant really comment but don't feel as squishy as my Goodyear vector 4 seasons G2 on the rear during the summer (my review is on there but they were on the driving wheels but the rears did squirm at sweeping bends on hot days). SO overall if you can get a good price Id say they are worth it but don't expect it to handle exactly like a summer tyre but that's your compromise to have grip all year round. In terms of wear I haven't checked the exact depth but they are on the rear so will last ages anyway and its a Michelin so it will last a good while. Comfort wise again on the rear only so cant really comment.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 16, 2021
Given 91% while driving a Citroën C3 Pluriel (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,250 spirited miles
I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel and as I live in London but have to drive in all conditions across the SE I heeded advice here to go with these MCC+. They replaced some awful rubber (Powertrac CityTour) that should have put me off buying the car. I am used to Pirelli, Goodyear, Conti, and Michelin so I thought I knew what good tyres feel like. However, after the old rubber, driving on the CrossClimate Plus was a revelation. The steering was lighter, the car changed direction more quickly. It was like a new car. It was fantastic. The 65 profile more than protects the rims and in 2,250 miles and 18 months of city driving the rims are fine. The car is so noisy on a motorway I can't hear the radio on 11, never mind the tyres, but I can't knock the CrossClimate for that. Twice cars in front have stopped hard unexpectedly and there was a bit of squirming but CrossClimates pulled the car up in time on both dry and damp surfaces. I've not tried them on mud, snow or ice but I'm very happy with the MCC+ and will fit some more to another car soon. Thanks for all the advice Mr Tyre Reviews.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2021
Given 91% while driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe (235/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Balanced tires, very good in summer and good in winter, I recommend them for light winter with a lot of moisture. Quite quiet on the road, traveled about 20,000 km (12000 miles) and are 6mm deep in profile. They are resistant to road shocks (asphalt potholes). It still looks good.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 10, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Peugeot 307 (195/65 R15 H) on mostly motorways for 2,000 easy going miles
I had the crossclimate for 4 years and 59000km. I replaced them 5 months ago with the plus version. The tires are fantastic in all conditions. The small difference in the purchase price is justified. These tires are the best for tourist use either on the highway or on city streets.They are a bit noisier than simple summer tires but in no way make the trip uncomfortable.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 6, 2020
Given 91% while driving a Volkswagen Touran tdi (215/55 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 5,000 easy going miles
I've covered 5,000 miles on these tyres now. They are quiet, grippy and are lasting well with almost no wear so far. I've not tested them in freezing (2 degrees or less yet), but have got down to 4 / 5 degrees and they felt exactly the same as they did when it was 25 degrees! Fuel consumption is slightly increased but by a very small amount (like literally 1-2 mpg over a good summer tyre). I'm running the XL 98 version, which simply shrug off the couple of potholes I've hit out here in the countryside without complaint or consequence. A great tyre.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 1, 2020
Given 94% while driving a Citroën xsara picasso (185/65 R15 V) on mostly motorways for 5 spirited miles
Well what can i say....... they're excellent in pretty much every single way, i can't break grip even when pushing on a stupid amount round tight corners, ride confort is excellent and the car feels absolutely rock solid I had pirelli cinturato P1's before this which were good but often felt slightly floaty, all gone with the Michelin they feel rock solid constalty and i feel very confident to push my car in all conditions wet grip is absolutely phenomenal, zero aquaplaining, hardly any wheel spin etc very very happy with these
1 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2020
Given 91% while driving a Ford Focus mk2 (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Everything is great, but one weak point is really weak. Gravel. On the same car, I have used very old Alpin 3 Michelin, they could go through forest and gravel paths without any problems. Same goes for Primacy 3 with very high mileage (cca 90.000 KM). But these tyres, completely new, they just drift and slide when there is a steep hill with gravel, not to mention driving across a grass, they are very very poor performers in those conditions. In past two months, it caused me to slide off the gravel road (luckilly without any damage), and yesterday, I just could not climb the steep part of the hill I always managed without problems, using very old Alpin and heavily used Primacy. They are just that bad for gravel and rocky roads. Wish I knew that earlier, now I am having a hard time getting to the places I need to go, if they dont have concrete roads, and lot of them dont...
8 - tyre reviewed on October 7, 2020
Given 81% while driving a Ford Focus mk2 (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 30,000 average miles
Admittedly, yes, they are expensive. Also, I would not recommend taking these around a track, as their dry performance isn't as good as a summer tyre (but you don't buy them for that, do you?), that being said, they are by no means bad. However, as an all-round tyre with good performance in the wet English winters, with excellent wear properties, I have yet to drive on a tyre better than it. The fuel economy isn't quite as good as the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance previously fitted, however, after 30,000 miles there is still 4 mm of tread on the front, whereas the Goodyear would be on the wear bars. Also, there has been very little deterioration in performance, unsurprisingly dry weather performance has improved as the tread blocks have worn, but there seems to be very little in the wet. I have only driven these for about 20 minutes in barely settled snow, and they seemed significantly better than any summer tyre I have driven on in the snow (I cannot comment on ice performance, unfortunately). I do not think I would buy these out of choice if winter performance was my main priority, but in the South of England it is more of a 'get yourself out of trouble tyre' if there is a freak snow storm (even though you will probably be stuck because no one else in front can move). Would I buy these again? Probably not. As Jon highlighted in his recent video, the game has moved on, but I would seriously consider the Cross Climate 2 when it is released. Also, I would probably only recommend these to higher mileage drivers now; with the competition now having caught up, lower mileage drivers may be better served looking to one of the cheaper competitors when looking for an all season tyre.
7 - tyre reviewed on September 30, 2020
Given 57% while driving a Nissan LEAF Tekna (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 800 average miles
With so many good reviews of the CrossClimate+ (both here and elsewhere) during my research of what to buy I felt it was necessary to give some balance and point out the very significant flaws these tyres have, after spending (wasting?) £547 on a set in 215/50/17 for a Nissan Leaf Tekna. In short, the ride is atrociously harsh compared to the summer tyres (Dunlop Enasave) they replaced. I've used All Seasons tyres before on previous cars (most recently Vredstein Quatrac 5) and they tend to ride a bit softer than the same size summer tyre - somewhere between a summer tyre and a winter tyre, as you might expect. I'm fine with that - I actually prefer a more comfortable ride to outright cornering grip for a daily commuter car like this. So I was pretty shocked and disappointed at just how bad the ride is after fitting these compared to the summer tyres in the same size. I'm a big Michelin fan, my other (petrol) car has Michelin Energy Savers on it which ride GREAT and over the years I have bought lots of Michelin tyres and been very happy. But Michelin have dropped the ball on this one, and it pains me to say so. Every tiniest line, crack or imperfection in the road crashes through the body of the car as if the tyres were solid rubber not pneumatic tyres. Potholes or recessed manhole covers feel so bad you think something is going to break. I don't think I've ever driven a harsher riding tyre in over 25 years driving. There is just no isolation from the road at all. It probably sounds like I'm exaggerating but really I'm not. The tyres ride like they are massively overinflated at the correct 36 psi. To test this theory I've dropped them down to 33psi and they start to feel a bit more tolerable and more like a normal tyre with some isolation from road imperfections but even then they still ride a lot harder than the original summer tyre and this lower pressure may cause faster tyre wear. (But since I can't put up with the harshness at 36psi it will just have to stay like this) If you care about ride comfort and don't like a harsh ride do not buy these tyres, you have been warned. While it's true that they might ride slightly better in higher profile smaller wheel versions, I suspect the real issue is that these are XL rated tyres on a car which is not heavy enough to require XL tyres. They have extremely stiff sidewalls which are nearly flat and barely bulge at all even at the reduced 33psi. In other words the sidewalls have no give and consequently don't provide any isolation from the road surface. The second problem these tyres have is they are VERY noisy. Many reviews say they are quiet, but that is a lie. They are quite quiet at lower speeds when the car is coasting, yes. But as soon as you accelerate they make a loud "slithering" noise like an angry hissing snake which is proportional to the power you put down. It is more audible on smooth surfaces. Coast and they're silent. Accelerate and they hiss like crazy. They also hiss under stronger braking and cornering to a lesser degree. The Leaf only has 107HP so a car with more power would presumably make them generate even more noise under acceleration. I suspect reviewers overlook this because they are usually driving in petrol/diesel cars where the engine noise when accelerating will drown out the high pitched "hiss" the tyres make under acceleration (and braking) loads, however in an otherwise quiet EV with no engine noise the hiss they make every time you put your foot down is quite loud and intrusive, and easily loud enough for passengers to comment on and ask what the source of the strange noise is. The summer tyres they replaced were absolutely silent under acceleration - only the G forces would let you know you were accelerating. Another noise problem they have which has been reported on in some reviews is a weird buzzing noise which can be heard from around 50-70mph particularly on smooth motorway. This is supposedly a result of the V shaped tread pattern. It's not loud but in a quiet EV it is audible and very strange sounding. It sounds like you're on a motorway with grooves/ruts even when it's perfectly smooth, a sort of tonal droning noise. In a petrol/diesel car it would probably be drowned out by engine noise. If this was the only fault the tyres had I could live with it. Now for the good points - wet grip is fantastic just as the reviews have said, and dry grip in hot weather is also very good, comparable to the summer tyre. Steering precision is good although not quite as direct as the summer tyre probably due to the flexible isolated tread blocks. Cold weather grip is also excellent - no loss of grip noticeable at 2C vs 15C. I have not yet been through a winter with these so I cannot comment on their snow or ice performance, I presume their winter performance will be adequate and probably comparable to the Quatrac 5 I've used before. Would I buy them again ? Not a chance. I could almost live with the slithering noise under acceleration if the ride was comfortable, but the harsh ride totally ruins the driving experience for me and actually makes me want to avoid driving the car. I seriously regret buying these tyres and replacing some part worn still perfectly usable summer tyres instead of picking up a second set of smaller wheels and putting some conventional soft riding winter tyres on them. I drove Quatrac 5's all year round on my last car and had no real complaints with them except unusual tread wear patterns. But their ride comfort, snow, ice and wet performance were great and dry summer performance was adequate. (Although a little soft - I actually had to increase their pressure 2psi in summer, not reduce it like the CrossClimates!) Once the winter is over I'll be getting a second set of wheels to put the most comfortable riding summer tyres on I can find so that I can start enjoying driving the car again, and through the winter I'm just going to have to run them at a lower pressure to make them tolerable. Until manufacturers can start making non-XL rated All Season tyres in the larger sizes I think I'm going to have to stick to summer and winter sets of tyres. The loss in ride quality year round due to the XL rating just to get through a few days or weeks of snow just isn't worth it in my opinion.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2020