Michelin CrossClimate+

In February 2017, Michelin launched the MICHELIN CrossClimate+ which will continue to combine the best of both summer and winter tyre worlds with long-lasting performance.

This tyre replaced the Michelin CrossClimate and this tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Tyre review data from 87 tyre reviews averaging 84% over 781,990 miles driven.

The CrossClimate+ is ranked 10th of 41 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2020 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - 4th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Premium all season tyres with balanced performance, dynamic handling qualities, precise steering, low wear, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive.

2020 Auto Express All Season Tyre Test - 4th of 6 tyres

• Positive - Significant advantage during dry braking, good snow performance.
  • Negative - Average wet performance.

2020 All Season Tyre Market Overview - 32 Tyre Braking Test - 5th of 33 tyres

255/35 R19 96Y XL   C B 69 11.11kgs
235/45 R19 99Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs
245/45 R19 102Y XL   C B 71 11.54kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate Plus

2017-01-17 - I am considering buying a set of Crossclimates for my Jaguar - the size is 225/60 16 102W. Discovering the tyre is about to be replaced by the Crossclimate+ is making me hesitate! Michelin introduced the original Crossclimate in a fairly narrow set of sizes - my 225/60 16 was not one of them. Is Michelin likely to do the same thing with the new Crossclimate+ - with the slightly less popular tyre sizes like mine being introduced later - in which case I should just go ahead and order the original Crossclimate, rather than wait for the Crossclimate+? Does anyone know how Michelin has improved the tyre? - Is the new tyre a better compromise (better warm dry braking and handling) or is it less fundamental tweaking?

Our full report of what has changed in the new CrossClimate+ can be found here. The sizes will roll out in stages as before, so if you need new tyres we'd suggest getting not waiting for the CrossClimate+!

2017-08-30 - I am considering buying either 4 Michelin CC Plus or Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrical 3 for my Jag XF 2.2, tyre size 245/45/R18. I live in semi rural Wales just outside Cardiff and although I probably wont be exceeding 10,000 miles a year, I will be driving around the welsh valleys on A and B roads with my new job more than I have previously when I used to catch a train more often than not. Its the million dollar question of whether to pay for winter tyres or just a good quality summer tyre and now we have the option of an all-season/ weather tyre. I don't do any high performance driving etc. We are yet to have another harsh winter since 2012 but no doubt this year will be the year. I was after some advice on the suitability of these two tyres for my car and driving situation as a good all rounders but being able to handle a cold snap should it arrive. Also whether I could realistically consider a slightly cheaper tyre that would fit the bill? Thanks There is a £30 difference in price on blackcircles.com

If you need to stay mobile when the bad weather comes, and don't want to pair the Goodyear summer tyre with a full winter tyre, the CrossClimate is your best option.

2018-09-14 - Can someone please help me to decide between 91H and 94V XL. I am going to get 4 of Michelin cross climate plus tyres in 205/55 R16 tyres for Mercedes B160 Sport. The current factory fitted tyres are 215/40 R18 89W XL contis.As I already had 16" wheels with winter tyres so I decided to go with cross climates instead of changing wheels and tyres twice a year. Now I am struggling to decide that should I get the specified speed and load rating of 91H with softer sidewalls or should I go with 94V XL with stronger sidewall. I don't mind paying little bit extra if there is any benefit. So can someone please help.

Personally I would run the stiffer sidewall option where available as I prefer a sharper steering response over comfort.

2018-11-26 - are these run flat tyres

I don't believe there are any runflat sizes of the CrossClimate yet.

2019-03-19 - I would love a set of CrossClimate+ on my car for a hustle free UK driving but iv got an 19" alloy with 225/40. They seem to produce at least one tyre in 19" but its a 255 and surely if they produce one they will produce others... My question is do they have other 19" sizes? Are they just unavailable atm?

19" all season tyres are currently low demand, so there's a chance it's not produced. Email Michelin to see if it's on their roadmap.

2019-09-25 - I live in Yorkshire and drive an M140i. I am considering the CrossClimate+ as my only tyre but not sure if this is too much of a compromise in the summer? The car currently has Pilot Super Sports. Price is not important but driving enjoyment and safety all year round is.

If driving enjoyment is key to you, your best option is to use the CrossClimate+ as a winter tyre, and switch back to your summer tyres in the summer.

2019-11-05 - Can you tell me what the thread depth is on the New Michelin CROSSCLIMATE SUV car tires?

The tread depth for the CrossClimate+ can vary by size, so it's best to ask michelin directly. The CrossClimate+ usually starts between 6mm and 7.5mm.

2019-11-19 - I am looking at getting some new tyres for my car for winter would you say the Michelin crossclimate+ will be good for using all year or I can get another set of wheels for winter use for not that much money and put the cross climates on those to just use in the winter. I currently have Michelin summer tyres that need replacing anyway. I am a tyre fitter anyway so fitting isn’t a problem and can always swap wheels easily. What sort of difference would we feel in dry summer conditions with the cross climate.

The CrossClimate is the most summer feeling of the all season tyres, but you will notice a reduction in handling qualities compared to your summer tyres. If you're a tyre fitter, I suggest doing the test yourself and letting us know via a review!

2020-05-13 - I am delighted with the review in Finland of TYREREVIEWS, and I am running low on rubber on the front axle on my C class , w204, 225/45/ 17" . I am moving from Oxford to Norwich this summer, and when the fall hits us, I am wondering if the Michellin CC+ are still a good allrounder for the temperature changes, as that area seems to be drier than where I have lived until now?

The CC+ is an excellent all season tyre at all temperatures. A summer tyre is still the better option if you can avoid snow and very cold temperatures, or live in an area that doesn't get this weather, but if you're looking to fit an all season tyre, the CrossClimate+ is the best option for the majority of the UK

CrossClimate Plus Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 87% while driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (225/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 200 easy going miles
Bought set of 4 new Cross Climate XL from Halfords a week ago and only covered approximately 200 miles.

So it is still very early days BUT I have noticed a lot less road noise and much more responsive steering.

My car came with Continental tyres as OEM & has covered just over 21K miles from new - was registered March 2014.
509 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2017
Given 60% while driving a Mazda 6 (215/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
This tyre is interesting, performed very well the first year, even on snow.
Then the second year it transformed completely, it is practically useless.
Also dissapointed at he uneven wear, which results in droning and discomfort. Will not buy again.
61 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Honda Accord Euro (145/50 R17) on mostly town for 1,500 average miles
Purchased tyre after all the good reviews but felt disappointed when driving car in winter. I previously had goodyear vector 4seasons tyres and they were the true all season tyre. Yes the mitchelin are good in dry and wet conditions but not good for winter as I found out. (Nearly wrecked my car as my car slid) I feel I've just waisted 600 pounds. Definitely will go back to goodyear vector tyres without a shadow of doubt.
41 - tyre reviewed on March 31, 2018
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate Plus tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate Plus? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate Plus >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Plus Reviews

Given 62% while driving a Ford Focus (235/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
Car has vague steering at times, some wobbly steering on certain surfaces, noise is loud and sidewalls are very soft on lose surfaces as had a crack appear today and very loud noise
0 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Volvo v70 D5 (255/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 35 average miles
Expected better, but the heavier front end (diesel) and driving style doesn't help life span.
1 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2021
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 78% while driving a Subaru Outback 3.0L (215/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Although I live in Cyprus which is practically summer for most of the year, I decided to go for these all season tyres for a few reasons. First of all, whenever it rains here the roads become quite dangerous since the dry grip isn’t great to start with, so when wet they become sludgy and slippery quite easily. Aquaplaning is also an issue in these roads. So a good summer tyre with great wet handling characteristics is in my opinion essential in these conditions. The CrossClimate plus performed very well under these conditions, with good dry grip and handling in very hot conditions as well as excellent wet driving characteristics. Snow driving is almost as good as a good snow tyre and with the Outback’s superb awd system, I was almost unstoppable! What surprised me however was the unbelievably good behaviour of these tyres in sand and deep sludgy mud! They were far superior to any road-biased 4x4 tyre I ever used and this is definitely a great selling point for my needs! Fast driving and sporty handling were never their best attributes but I am ok with that and noise levels above 120 km/h are quite high. But again, this is not something unexpected and it’s quite obvious from the tyre’s aggressive V-esque tread. Wear is very good and tyre behaviour remains almost unchanged as the tyres wear out; something that Michelin excels at achieving. Overall I am very happy with these and would definitely recommend them.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 9, 2021
Given 74% while driving a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3Multijet 75bhp (185/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
These are the first all season tyres I try. Fitted to my Fiat Punto because I'm not going to use it a lot, I have to admit that in winter the Crossclimates offer performances comparable to a winter tyre: in the snow and in very cold conditions they are very grippy and safe. In warm dry conditions they are much better than a winter tyre, even if they still feel a bit soft, especially in corners. In the wet they are good, with a safe response. Overall I am very satisfied, the only 2 weak points I mention are the noise (I think they are noisier than my previous winter tyres) and the wear, because from Michelin I was expecting less thread degratation, which is already noticeable after only 1000 miles.
1 - tyre reviewed on May 31, 2021
Given 67% while driving a Volkswagen Caddy (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 7,500 average miles
I bought a pair of these last winter for my work van as I was unhappy with the performance of the Vredestine Quadrac 5's I had fitted. These tyres are excellent for winter, great grip on cold, wet roads and I zero problems with aquaplaning despite hitting huge puddles across the motorway at speed. Snow performance was disappointing though as the Quadrac 5's were better despite being quite poor everywhere else as a winter tyre. My problems with the Cross Climates are mediocre warm weather performance as the tread feels too soft when hot, high price and very high wear. The edges were starting to look really low after just 6000 miles on the front and the rest of the tyres were down to 4mm. I have since put them on the rear and done around 1500 miles and should hopefully get another winter with them on the front as I'm not using this van for work or as my primary transport anymore. If I was to buy more all season tyres I would probably go for Goodyear Vectors, they performed well on my BMW 1 series over a winter and those same tyres will be tested next winter on my Golf diesel to see how they hold up after a decent amount of miles. First impressions are good but they only did 2 or 3000 miles on the front of a rear wheel drive car.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 16, 2021
Given 84% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK6 1.6 tdi (195/65 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 18,000 easy going miles
Fitted for 2 years now, and, after recent snow, Have experienced all conditions. For general use, excluding very progressive driving, I cannot fault these tyres. At first fitting, road noise slightly higher than previous summer Conti's until bedded in. Very impressed with comfort and handling on all road surfaces. Water clearance is good, and, with present tread depth, no aquaplaning. Provide high confidence in snow - yes they will break traction, particularly on cornering, but only when pushed. But they give far greater control than summer tyres in snow. On compressed snow/ice their advantages are limited however. Most impressed with wear rate. At 18k, with relaxed driving style, still have 4mm front, 5mm rear, and have just stopped front to rear. As these have directional tread they cannot be switched to alternate sides (for a diagonal switch). I have these also fitted to my Ford S-Max (15). Even more impressed with those - though being 225's gives the comfort. I will certainly be sticking with these and looking forward to the latest upgrade in compound. Having previously been a summer/winter wheel switcher every six months for about five seasons (on my old Galaxy), these really are a great compromise.
3 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2021
Given 89% while driving a BMW X3 (225/60 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Replaced the original Pirelli Cintrirano P7 run flats on my wife's BMW X3, which she had for 30k miles from new. The Crossclimate+ are better in every way. Obviously they are much lighter as they are not run flat tyres and as such the car as a whole feels lighter and more responsive. Also comfort, handling and noise are significantly better and improve the vehicle a great deal. In my opinion these are the perfect none performance tyres for the UK.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 1, 2021
Given 81% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,500 average miles
Fitted to a Skoda Superb 4x4 V6 and changed from summer Bridgestone Potenza. It's a new car to me but I am very impressed with the tyres. In the recent snow and ice there was no hint of the car becoming stuck with only minor slippage on ice. This was on a mini roundabout so maybe the white paint made it worse… On dry and wet roads it's really like a summer tyre but with a little less feedback. This for me is a good thing but others would disagree. You get a very comfy ride even on low profile tyres as fitted on my car. Only down side really is the noise at speeds over 40mph on crappy UK roads. On the M25 there is a drone in most areas, but when the tarmac is sometimes good there is no noise at all. At low speeds noise is very good, quieter than any other tyre I have used. These do not ride like other all seasons (I have Goodyear Vector Gen 2 and Vredestein Quatrac on other cars). The Michelin emulate a summer tyre in terms of ride harshness and and steering characteristics. I would buy again for performance cars but would probably go for cheaper versions for lower powered cars. I have driven in snow and ice in Finland and Iceland with studded tyres so know these are not as good as Nordics, but they are more than adequate for UK and most of Europe.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2021
Given 70% while driving a Ford Mondeo (215/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 8,000 easy going miles
Fitted to rear only so cant comment on many of the sections. Can only comment on snow and ice due to recent snow in the UK recently and fitted to a Mondeo hatchback. They do grip well albeit slide a little but given the very few sipes and not on the driving wheels they seem pretty good. In terms of dry and wrt grip again cant really comment but don't feel as squishy as my Goodyear vector 4 seasons G2 on the rear during the summer (my review is on there but they were on the driving wheels but the rears did squirm at sweeping bends on hot days). SO overall if you can get a good price Id say they are worth it but don't expect it to handle exactly like a summer tyre but that's your compromise to have grip all year round. In terms of wear I haven't checked the exact depth but they are on the rear so will last ages anyway and its a Michelin so it will last a good while. Comfort wise again on the rear only so cant really comment.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 16, 2021
Given 91% while driving a Citroën C3 Pluriel (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,250 spirited miles
I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel and as I live in London but have to drive in all conditions across the SE I heeded advice here to go with these MCC+. They replaced some awful rubber (Powertrac CityTour) that should have put me off buying the car. I am used to Pirelli, Goodyear, Conti, and Michelin so I thought I knew what good tyres feel like. However, after the old rubber, driving on the CrossClimate Plus was a revelation. The steering was lighter, the car changed direction more quickly. It was like a new car. It was fantastic. The 65 profile more than protects the rims and in 2,250 miles and 18 months of city driving the rims are fine. The car is so noisy on a motorway I can't hear the radio on 11, never mind the tyres, but I can't knock the CrossClimate for that. Twice cars in front have stopped hard unexpectedly and there was a bit of squirming but CrossClimates pulled the car up in time on both dry and damp surfaces. I've not tried them on mud, snow or ice but I'm very happy with the MCC+ and will fit some more to another car soon. Thanks for all the advice Mr Tyre Reviews.
2 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2021
Given 91% while driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe (235/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Balanced tires, very good in summer and good in winter, I recommend them for light winter with a lot of moisture. Quite quiet on the road, traveled about 20,000 km (12000 miles) and are 6mm deep in profile. They are resistant to road shocks (asphalt potholes). It still looks good.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 10, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Peugeot 307 (195/65 R15 H) on mostly motorways for 2,000 easy going miles
I had the crossclimate for 4 years and 59000km. I replaced them 5 months ago with the plus version. The tires are fantastic in all conditions. The small difference in the purchase price is justified. These tires are the best for tourist use either on the highway or on city streets.They are a bit noisier than simple summer tires but in no way make the trip uncomfortable.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 6, 2020