Michelin CrossClimate

The Michelin CrossClimate is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin CrossClimate Plus.

Tyre review data from 129 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 1,638,250 miles driven.

The CrossClimate is ranked 19th of 42 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2018 New and Worn Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 17 tyres

2018 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 9th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Lowest wear on test, good in the dry and on icy roads.
  • Negative - Weak on snow.

2017 All Season Tyre Test - 2nd of 12 tyres

• Positive - The Michelin CrossClimate has an excellent all round performance, with a particular strength in the dry and wet.
  • Negative - Average snow handling.
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
225/60 R17 103V XL   C A 68 10.82kgs
215/65 R17 103V XL   B A 69 10.80kgs
225/55 R18 102V XL AO B B 69 11.00kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate

2016-03-25 - Hi! I'd like to have some suggestions from you about these tyres. I drive a Citroen C5 Tourer and now I have to choose new tyres; I've seen the new Dunlop Sportmaxx rt2 as a summer tyre and it seems to be the best choice for my car, but in winter I don't wanna have winter tyres anymore. Could the michelin Crossclimate be a good alternative, a good compromise for my car for an all year round safety drive? Thank you for your answer!

This is exactly the type of motoring the Michelin CrossClimate is designed for. If you plan to use your car in the north of Scotland, or to drive to the alps a dedicated summer / winter solution is still the ideal, however if you just want to use your in the mid/south of the UK, year round without worrying about what tyres are on the car, the CrossClimate is the tyre to fit.

2016-07-18 - Please can you give me an indication of the flexibility of the sidewalls on the CrossClimate, in my experience this has been a let down on tyres with a compound soft enough to work in cold conditions. Many thanks

Like most modern tyres, the CrossClimates have thin sidewalls to reduce heat build up and weight in the tyre, which affects fuel economy and comfort. As you can read in our full test here the CrossClimate has the advantage of feeling like a summer tyre, where the other all season and winter tyre in the test were noticeably more vague.

2016-08-15 - In 175/65R14 these Michelin Cross Climates are XL (maybe they are in all sizes) and I wondered how this would feel on a small supermini that only requires SL? It currently has Michelin Energy Savers on it. Would these tyres mean using higher pressures and if so, by how much? Is the change from SL to XL an allowed change in terms of things like insurance etc? I have used Bridgestone A001s in the past and been impressed but didn't like how they hit the fuel economy. These seem to be an improvement on that front, hence my interest. Finally, can you change just two tyres (on the same axel) or would it be like using winter tyres and you'd need all four changing at once to keep the car in balence? Thanks for any input you can give :)

Michelin are going through a process of simplifying their product range so they only have the highest load rating of the tyres. This is fine for insurance, and looking at the tyre tests, fine for comfort too. Ideally you would change all four tyres, but during the summer and autumn months it is fine to change two, only during freezing, snow and ice driving would the difference become apparent. You would run the standard pressures with the XL CrossClimates.

2016-09-30 - Does the cross climate meet the legal criteria for winter tyres in european countries especially Germany

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is mountain and snowflake symbol marked so fully legal in countries which require a winter tyre.

2016-10-28 - Hi, I have just replaced 2 front worn radials on my Merc A180 with crossClimates, but the rear radial tyres dont need replacing yet, will this affect performance and safety when driving.

It's always best to fit the new tyres to the rear of the car, especially when changing tyre types as you are with the CrossClimate. While the balance in the dry should be fine, in cold wet and snow the car might have a tendency to oversteer which is far more difficult to control than understeer.

2017-03-26 - Are crossclimate legal as wintertyres in countries that req wintertyres as law in certain months.

Yes, the Michelin CrossClimate is "mountain and snowflake" rated, which makes it a legal winter tyre.

2017-04-04 - When will the Michelin Cross Climate be available in 165/65/14 size

Unfortunately Michelin don't currently have any plans for 165/65 R14 CrossClimate size.

2017-11-05 - Does cross climate have a greater fuel consumption than summer tyres? Because I see mixed user reviews about this but no actual test.

If you look at the 2017 all season tyre test the CrossClimate has a lower fuel use than the summer tyre included in the test.

2018-03-04 - Im considering purchasing some cross climates for my car. However, my car has 14" wheels and I understand that Michelin do not produce the crossclimate+ tyre in 14" sizes. Is there a noticeable difference in durability and performance when worn between the standard crossclimate and the + models? And is there a reason why they do not produce the + model in 14"?

There are minimal differences between the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ versions of the tyre. I would imagine the current lack of + version would indicate it's a low volume size and the moulds have yet to be updated.

2018-03-30 - My current Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres are down to 3mm on the front (rear 6mm). On any kind of light snow/slush the front tyres just spin. Could I fit 2 Cross Climate tyres or shouldn't you mix summer and all season tyres?

It is not advised to fit just two all season tyres, when you do encounter snow or ice the grip imbalance is so high it can cause very dangerous situations.

2018-06-28 - I'm in a quandary; which would be my best choice? Michelin CrossClimate or Nokian Weatherproof SUV 235/65R17 for a Toyota RAV4?

It depends on your usage plans, however I believe the CrossClimate a better all season tyre for the majority of the UK as the Weatherproof behaves more like a winter tyre in the dry, which gives you extended dry braking.

2019-03-01 - Why Crossclimate have so much difference from Crossclimate+ on ice performance?

It shouldn't, both tyres should be very similar.

2020-05-05 - In which country or countries are your Michelin CrossClimate tires that are sold in Iceland currently manufactured?

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, but it will be noted on the sidewall of the tyre.

CrossClimate Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Given 37% while driving a Honda Accord Tourer (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 17,000 average miles
I am somewhat disappointed in these tyres, having previously had Conti Wintercontact TS850 and Nokian Weatherproof under me, these have not showed the same level of wet grip and wear as the Weatherproof.
Tread depth is low from new and this may improve on dry braking and handling at the expense of long life.
Over rated in my view for the most part.
469 - tyre reviewed on October 15, 2016
Given 59% while driving a Skoda Octavia (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
These tyres were so good on two other cars, that I put them on my Octavia. BIG mistake. The steering became optional. Excessive understeer, low front end grip and plenty of roll. Worse still was, as they wore down, they were like having skis on when it rained. At about 4mm they were so bad in the wet that I had to have them replaced. Now on Goodyears, and the grip has returned. Won't be chancing the Crossclimate+, as it's not meant to be as good in the wet!
29 - tyre reviewed on September 19, 2018
Given 51% while driving a Citroën C4 (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 17,000 easy going miles
Bought them after reading all these fine and convincing reviews for the occasional and rare meet with snowy roads. Well, in snow total failure, even cars with summer tires where able to move much better than me. I was left spinning my wheels hopelessly while other cars with summer tires had no problem passing me. I have them for a year and a half, with 17.000 km driven. Not satisfied at all with snow handling (about 5-7 cm of snow) and rather displeased with overall handling and value for money. Will not buy ever again and I won't recommend them to anyone.
24 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2016
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate Reviews

Given 75% while driving a Audi A5 2.0TFSI Quattro (225/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 15,000 average miles
Tyres cracked, replaced f o c by cc+
0 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2021
Given 89% while driving a Jeep Cherokee Limited 2015 (225/45 R18) on for 35,000 average miles
I put 50,000k on these tires on a 2017 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 3.2l engine these tires are excellent. Living in Quebec Canada , weather can get nasty , one day snow next day freezing rain then back to snow , tires have never let met down. Never would I go back to a full time winter tire. I just bought a new 2021 Jeep Cherokee high altitude sept-2021 and my new Michelin cross climate 2 are on order and will be installed Nov 15-2021.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 27, 2021
Given 76% while driving a Citroën C4 (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 37,000 average miles
Had the CC's for five years and approx. 60k km and they served me well. They got me through five winters with moderate snow and five hot summers, trips on really bad tarmac or no tarmac at all, high speeds and a lot of city driving. They still have 3-4 mm left which is really impressive. The only downside is that after about 20-25k km they lost a lot of grip and became really noisy which was really a shame considering how good these tyres were at the beginning. Also, the ice grip isn't too good, but with precaution in mind you can get to your destination safely. But you can't have everything. Now I'm waiting for this year's reviews for all season tyres (205/55 R16) to see where the CC2's stands against Vredestein Quatrac and Pirelli SF2, the newest tyres and biggest competitors for this size (IMO).
0 - tyre reviewed on September 8, 2021
Given 27% while driving a Peugeot 407 4 door sedan 2.0 petrol (215/55 R17) on mostly motorways for 3,000 easy going miles
Please for the love of God do NOT buy those tyres. They are the most noisy thing ever, They can make a sweet french GT autobahn cruiser into a nightmare.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2021
Given 78% while driving a Nissan LEAF Tekna (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
I've had these on my car for a few years now, they have been fine in the dry, and decent in the wet. I have a leaf and I've found a lot of tyres struggle with the weight and the torque, especially under wet braking. They don't effect the range too much and they are good enough in the snow. Don't expect winter tyre levels of grip but they will get you home as long as you're gentle with the right foot
2 - tyre reviewed on April 12, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Long story short, I've never been a fan of all seasons but this tyre has won me over big time. It's an ideal tyre for the occasional encounter with snow and ice and performs extremely well as a cold resistant dry road tyre. They feel more like a summer tyre and won't kill the fun for more "spirited" drivers. In fact I think they're better then some summer rubber I've been through. I do notice a rather intense wear compared to other tyres I've had. Guess that's the price to pay for an otherwise overwhelmingly positive performance. If you're looking for an all seaon tyre that doesn't annoy you and has plenty of reserve when the air gets cold and the roads snowed up, this one is a great option. It's also very resilient. I had a run in with a very bad pothole. The tyre was fine, it was the wheel that broke. I'll likely put them on again.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 10, 2021
Given 37% while driving a Opel zafira 1.8 140 mont. 2008 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 30,000 easy going miles
Worst tires I ever had. Bought them to replace my combination of summer and winter tyres (Bridgestone turanza and Dunlop winter sport). After first summer (30-35 Celsius) Crossclimate was teared up here and there. Not the same at whole surface, but tear and break every 5-10 cm. And on the winter (-5-0 Celsius) at first they seemed ok, until they were not - almost had accident because couldn't stop on snowy road (where my previous winter tyres didn't had problems). So my conclusion is crossclimate is worse than cheapest summer tyres, and worse than cheapest winter tyres.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2021
Lexus (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 3,500 average miles
At new, the tyres only have tread depth of 7mm, compared to 8-9mm for other tyres. The front tyres are now 5.5mm after only 3,500 miles. At this rate, I will have to replace them not much over 10,000 miles. Extremely unimpressed with what is an expensive tyre and I won't be putting these on my car again.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 15, 2021
Given 85% while driving a Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 170hp (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 25,000 average miles
Replaced oem Bridgestone which were worn out at 15000 miles. The Michelin are showing about 50% wear at 25000, and this alone would guarantee repurchase when necessary. But handling, comfort and ride also excell, the car feeling very different and inspiring confidence in all situations, both wet and dry.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 1, 2021
Given 36% while driving a Suzuki CELERIO (165/65 R14) on a combination of roads for 400 easy going miles
no ice grip at all. not good in the wet. aqua plane not bad but pull off traction is poor. find the tyre quite wobbly on the sidewalls too. they had some pull in the snow but not enough to give any real confidence. basically its better than having a summer tyre but for the price i could have gotten much better.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 140 TDI Sport Estate (235/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
I live in Yorkshire. Little snow to be had. Two winters back we had a snowfall and it laid in the country. I set off in my Yeti on Continental winter tyres (850s I think}. They managed the snow fine and in pushing the Yeti I did manage to create a skid on a bend. Now over to the Cross Climates on my 2.0 tdi Passat estate. I travelled the same route and I was just as impressed. Whilst the winters on the Yeti (2wd) were excellent, I couldn't really tell the difference between the winter tyres and the Cross Climates. I was careful on the compacted areas but far happier than I would have been on a traditional summer rubber. The Cross Climates have been excellent in all weathers including 33C last summer. I have completed 15,000 miles and this autumn have swapped front to back. Front having 4mm and back 6mm remaining. I expect to get to 30,000 and will replace with new all seasons although I will review others when I get to that point and the 4seasons from Goodyear maybe the next ones on my car. One thing for certain - I'll be buying all seasons tyres for any car I own for the rest of my driving days. It's really silly not to - and furthermore ....for the cost of a bar snack for four you can move up to a premium tread and have the best quality on the road. It might just save a life.
2 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2020
Skoda (235/50 R19 W) on mostly country roads for 2,000 average miles
I put Michelin Crossclimate tyres on my new Skoda Kodiaq 4 x 4. They performed as well as the reviews BUT I have one observation that I feel you and your readers should be made aware of. If the car is parked on my (or other) gravel driveways the gravel will stick to the tyres. And I mean stick! The longer the car is parked the more the gravel becomes stuck. The gravel stays on the tyres as I reverse up the driveway and is then deposited on the roadway. The gravel is so well stuck that the car feels like it is going over bumps as the tyres rotate. The problem is bad enough for me to now go to the trouble of prising off the gravel each time I use the car! The tyres have done this since new (now covered around 2000 miles and around 6 months old) and the problem is present irrespective of weather conditions - it makes no difference if it's freezing cold, hot, wet or dry. The problem isn't related to the gravel type in our driveway, it's a standard chipping used by the developer on our and neighbouring properties. My neighbours do not have the gravel sticking to their tyres - needless to say, they don't have Crossclimate tyres. Our other car (Suzuki S Cross All Grip) has Vector 4Season tyres on it and from brand new the gravel has never stuck to them. I also have a motorbike (BMW 1250GS) and it's soft compound tyres do not pick up the gravel either. I can drive the full length of our driveway to put the motorbike in the garage and not have a single piece of gravel in the garage. So the Crossclimates are a tyre with excellent performance but also with a considerable flaw should one regularly park on gravel.
9 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2020