Pirelli P Zero PZ4

The Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) is the latest update to the iconic P Zero sports car tyre.

This tyre replaced the Pirelli P Zero.

Tyre review data from 41 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 346,847 miles driven.

The P Zero PZ4 is ranked 35th of 70 Summer Max Performance tyres.

Reports

2022 Sport Auto UHP, UUHP and Semi Slick Tyre Test - 3rd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Despite longer baking distances,s thanks to the good handling, neater cornering and very neutral balance. Sporty, safe, fast.
  • Negative - Longer braking distances in the wet, limited cornering strength.

2021 Tyre Reviews UHP Summer Tyre Test - 4th of 14 tyres

• Positive - Dynamic handling with an excellent performance in the dry and wet, low levels of noise.
  • Negative - Average aquaplaning performance.
  • Overall - The Pirelli P Zero PZ4 is a rare tyre that seems to blend good grip in the dry and wet, sporty handling, low rolling resistance and good levels of comfort. IF this tyre had slightly better aquaplaning resistance it would have been in the top group.

2021 Auto Bild 19 inch Summer Tyre Test - 4th of 15 tyres

• Positive - Convincing handling qualities on wet and dry roads, high grip, precise steering behavior, short dry braking distances.
  • Negative - Higher rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Highly Recommended.

2022 Tyre Tests

• 3rd: 2022 Sport Auto UHP, UUHP and Semi Slick Tyre Test (235/35 R19)
  • 2021 Tyre Tests

• 1st: 2021 EVO Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 3rd: 2021 Auto Zeitung Summer UHP Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 3rd: Road Tyres vs Track Tyres vs Slick Tyres (245/40 R18)
  • 4th: 2021 Tyre Reviews UHP Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 4th: 2021 Auto Bild 19 inch Summer Tyre Test (235/35 R19)
  • 2020 Tyre Tests

• 3rd: 2020 EVO UHP Summer Tyre Test (235/35 R19)
  • 4th: 2020 AMS 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test (225/45 R18)
  • 9th: 2020 ADAC 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 2019 Tyre Tests

• 1st: 2019 Auto Bild Sports Car Tyre Test (245/45 R18)
  • 1st: 2019 EVO Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 7th: 2019 Gute Fahrt Summer 18 Inch Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 2018 Tyre Tests

• 4th: 2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test (225/45 R17)
  • 2017 Tyre Tests

• 2nd: 2017 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test (245/45 R18)
  • 2nd: 2017 EVO Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 3rd: 2017 Motor Mag UHP Tyre Test (235/35 R19)
  • 3rd: 2017 Car and Driver UHP Tyre Test (245/40 R18)
  • 5th: 2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test (225/40 R18)
  • 6th: 2017 Auto Bild Sports Cars Tyre Test (235/35 R19)
  • Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Pirelli P Zero PZ4

Questions and Answers for the Pirelli P Zero PZ4

2019-10-09 - I find there is a lot of information on Continental, Goodyear and Michelin, but not as much on Pirelli. My understanding is that the P Zero PZ4 goes up against the Continental Premium Contact 6, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5, and Michelin PS4. Recent tests fare the PZ4 well, although the general opinion on the internet is that Pirellis are to be avoided. However sometimes tests include higher performance variants such as the ExtremeContact, Sport Contact 6, F1 Poleposition or PS4S. At the same time the Premium Contact 6 in smaller sizes goes against Premium Touring tyres. I guess I am just confused by the classification. What is Pirelli take on these higher performance tyres (PS4S, PSS, Sport Contact 6, ExtremeContact, F1 Poleposition) ? P Zero Corsa? A video inclusive of these tyres would be interesting to compare the PZ4. Thanks

The PZ4 is intended to compete with the likes of the PS4S and CSC6. It works very well in OE fitment especially in the larger sizes, but the aftermarket versions were quite soft on the sidewall initially. This might have been updated recently as it's started to test a lot better more recently.

Top 3 Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Reviews

SEAT (225/40 R18 W) on for 0 miles
    Really good !
    Replace very very good Yokohama V105 one year old.
    To try them out.
    First-class comfort (top) + rolling silence
    A little above the Yoko on the dry,
    In the rain, they are incredible ! Well above all that I have tried :
    Dunlop RT, PS3, Yoko V105, Hankook V12 K110.
    No idea about wear again ... The +:
    - Braking (this is a big highlight)
    - Motricity
    - Handling
    They are equipped with protections of the rims although the option is not specified (in France).
    The sides are stiffer than the PS3 for example. The precision is much better.
    In short, conquered...
    Remains to be seen at mid-wear behavior ... exotic productions are often very disappointing after 40/50% wear ...
    Although cheaper than Michelin Super Sport for overall performance not so far away ... Probably in terms of PS4 performance for lower price...
    Helpful 187 - tyre reviewed on June 28, 2017
    Given 53% while driving a Alfa Romeo Giulietta (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,427 average miles
    Was offered these in comparison to my initial choice of 2nd set of PS4 which these supposedly handles just as well and have lower noise.
    1.5yrs with 20k KM (12427.424 miles) milage and they are worn and due for a change.
    Helpful 91 - tyre reviewed on October 19, 2018
    Given 63% while driving a Mercedes Benz A35 AMG 4MATIC (235/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 1,200 spirited miles
    Pros - High level of grip in the dry with direct/precise steering feel. Neutral balance. Impressive braking in dry/wet. Cons - Average aquaplaning resistance, it can bite when travelling at medium speeds even in a straight line by losing straight line controllability. Harsh ride. High wear. Overall - Very good tyre especially in the dry. Would like to see the wet aquaplaning resistance improved.
    Helpful 55 - tyre reviewed on May 5, 2020
    Have you driven on the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Pirelli P Zero PZ4? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Pirelli P Zero PZ4 >

Latest Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Reviews

Given 71% while driving a Audi A4 b9 2.0 tdi (245/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 12,500 average miles
    I have used 3 sets of non PZ4 P-Zero on my previous car, as I was happy with their performance. On the contrary, i will not replace this PZ4 (AO Sport cars version) with the same ones. I have read the rest of the comments, and I fully agree with most of them. The tire has strong areas such as very nice feedback, dry grip, wet grip under low water quantity, low noise when new and reasonable comfort (much better than the Hankook S1 Evo2 R01 I had before), but its two drawbacks are too heavy: First, wear is too high. I am changing the front ones (FWD car) with just 20.000 km, while I have always been able to run at least 30-35k from previous tires under the same routes and speeds. Second, aquaplaning resistance when new is low but acceptable, but it gets simply scary when the tread depth is below 3.5-4 mm. It is now at 3 mm, and I have been overtaken twice by a track, as the car was aquaplaning at only moderate speeds (90 km/h), while the rest of the traffic was moving wihout issues. I consider totally impossible to keep the tyres up to the legal 1.6 mm depth. I don´t think they found the right balance in the design.
    Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 16, 2022
    Given 90% while driving a Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI (8PA) (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
    I have been a happy Michelin user for more than 400k km but, after a bad experience with a set of PS4 (high vibration), decided to try some other tyre. I was looking for a sport tyre with an OE spec and found a good price for the PZ4. It is important to note that, to the best of my knowledge, the specs of this tyre may vary significantly from size to size. My thoughts are only applicable to 225/45/17 94Y(*). Dry performance is flawless, high level of grip and very good feedback and handling. In this regard, I would put them over the PS4 and a little bit under the PS2(N3). Surprisingly, the PZ4 is really silent and comfy, which is also a plus for motorway and long trips. I have not driven in heavy rain conditions yet, but no complaint so far on light rain. The tyres look as new after 5000 km. However, I am not expecting them to last as long as the PS4.
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on November 12, 2022
    All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
    Given 80% while driving a Peugeot 407 Coupe (235/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 17,000 spirited miles
    Peugeot 407 coupe 2,7 hdi, upgraded to 240hp. (this car handles very very good!! 7,8s to 100kmh and 235kmh max) for two seasons (20000km) it is a dream come true, cant compare to premiumcontact6 or anything else I've ever driven. Doesn't matter dry or wet :) third season more than ok, but that's it. For two seasons it's perfect, if you can afford it. Would I buy them again? YES. But will probably try other premium sports tyres, just to see the difference.
    Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2022
    Given 83% while driving a BMW 128TI (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 10,000 spirited miles
    Great, played around with pressures. When cold i run 34/29 psi. A long way from the BMW recommended pressures of 39/34. 10k miles and the fronts still showing 4-5mm tread. Highly recommend these, im struggling to choose what to buy nextto replace them in 18". Im not sure the PS5 will be any better, now the PremiumContact or the Asym6. Maybe the F1 Eagle SS.
    Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2022
    Given 83% while driving a Bentley Continental GT (235/45 R19) on mostly town for 5,000 average miles
    I found tyres safe with an option to drive the flat tyres. Why this is not undelined by a producer? Also on a 4 wheels drive car the impression from driving is very good.
    Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on October 1, 2022
    Given 61% while driving a Audi S6 (255/40 R19) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
    I recently replaced Dunlop RT2's on my Audi S6 C7.5 with Pirelli P Zero PZ4's. The RT2 was really good in the wet with good resistance to aquaplaning but they never gave much confidence in dry handling or feedback. I fitted the PZ4's following a top review in Evo magazine. They are a good more aggressive/sporty looking tyre (if that is of any importance) with good rim protection. Dry handling is good, they seem to have a more rigid sidewall than the RT2's and inspire more confidence, better grip and accuracy in dry cornering. They are a little noisier than the RT2 but not excessively so and the ride is a little harder - which in fact suits the car. What I was not expecting is the poor (I mean really poor) aquaplaning resistance. General wet handling is ok but driving at speed (60mph+) through standing water on the motorway scares the shit out of me - they are awful. The tyres at this point have only 1,000 miles on them so too early to comment on wear rate. The RT2's I used for 22k miles by which time they were down to 4mm, I replaced them after a succession of punctures - not sure I'd buy them again but they were at least sure footed in the wet. I won't be buying the PZ4 again solely because of their poor wet performance.
    Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on May 28, 2022
    Given 91% while driving a Audi A4 Quattro 220 bhp TFSI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
    I have been doing only 1000 km with these tyres, before I had Michelin PS4. Comparing with them, they very quite and comfortable, with better steering feeling and handling. They come with PCNS(Pirelli Canceling noise System), they are impressive in terms of acoustic comfort in all roard, really impressive! Never tested in wet, but I will update this review in next KMs. They feel softer then Michelin PS4 and with more grip.
    Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2022
    BMW (225/50 R18) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
    PIRELLI P ZERO PZ4 225/50 R 18 L.S. CA67dB Car: BMW X1 xDrive 20d Dry grip super, much better from Bridgestone Turanza T001 Wet grip - excellent Grip overall unique car keeps on the road as stuck Noise: very quiet - know 67 dB
    Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2022
    Given 64% while driving a Volkswagen Arteon 2.0 TDI 200hp 4motion (245/35 R20) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
    Full disclosure: I have a general dislike for Pirelli tyres. My experiences from 'way back when' have always been bad to mediocre at best, with decent dry handling, but exceptionally poor wet handling (very inconvenient in wet countries such as the Netherlands). So I tend to stay well clear of Pirellis and recent experiences with the brand are pretty much non-existent. However these came as stock with my Arteon, and are of the official VW variety with 'seal-inside' or however VW brands that. Having recently swapped out my winter tyres for the Pirellis I finally got a taste of driving them. My impressions are that they were more noisy and a little less comfortable than I expected/would have liked, but steering and wet performance (what I would have considered their 'nemesis' if you'd have asked me before trying them) were a pleasant surprise. Of the 1500 km with these tyres, I'd guestimate that about 50% of those were on the German autobahn, with speeds varying from 80 to 230 km/h. The car feels steady and stable even when the autobahn gets a bit undulating (southern parts of Germany, in very hilly terrain), while driving at high speeds. At those autobahn speeds, it also means that less than perfect surfaces feel like driving along cobblestones, but the tyres performed still performed admirably when it came to handling. The big downside was that with these surfaces the tyres very clearly started to transmit serious noise into the car though, making it a less than pleasant experience, effectively forcing lower speeds because that's simply tiresome on long distance driving. Most notable reason for me personally to at least not buy this VW specific variant of the tyre again was that I managed to get a screw puncturing my virtually brand new tyres despite the proclaimed self-sealing abilities of the tyre. Yes, I am aware that they only claim a 5mm (yes, just half a cm!) of puncture protection into the tyre interior, but my experience has proven (to me at least) that the extra cost of this 'feature' is not worth it since it's apparently easy to punch through. Couple this with my personal dislike (as stated above) it means I would not recommend this tyre.
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on April 4, 2022
    Given 42% while driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance (235/35 R20) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
    These replaced a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with 25k miles heading towards the wear limit. Despite being new, they feel far less secure than the tyres they replaced. Understeer at roundabouts, sudden grip loss mid-corner (both ends at the same time, so at least that was balanced). Always feel insecure when it's damp. I'll grant that it's winter and they're a summer tyre, but all season tyres aren't an option for company car drivers in the UK and it's not that cold. It's the fact that they're so much worse than the Michelins that means I wouldn't consider another set.
    Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2022
    Given 70% while driving a BMW 320i Msport (235/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
    Great tyres. I've used Pzero Nero and Pzero in the past and these PZ4 are better. These gave me confidence to go faster. I had the HN spec tyres. I found the sidewalls a bit stiff so they weren't that comfortable but as a result the handling was better. Also the side wall in this HN spec curve in a lot which I didn't like but they still had a rim protector. Overall I enjoyed thrashing my car with these. One downside is they started cracking inbetween the tread when I still had 5mm on them. They had been on my car for 2 years and 10k miles. Upon inspection of the manufacture date, they were just over 4 years old so I wouldn't expect them to crack so soon. I wouldn't buy these again as I never buy the same tyre twice, I always like to try something new. But I would recommend these to others if the price is right and the manufacture date is no older than 2 years.
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on January 2, 2022
    Given 92% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK7 R 300 BHP (235/35 R19) on mostly town for 25,000 average miles
    Have had my PZ4's on for 40,000 KM and they are still going strong. I estimate a bit over half way through the tread, so interesting many others seem to rate wear poorly. I find them still very quiet, and grip is very good at half tread. I havent had these tyres on the limit at all so cant comment, but as a daily driver, the grip seems fantastic and they are generally very comfortable.
    Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on November 26, 2021