Toyo T1R Reviews - Page 2

Given 77% while driving a Toyota MK2 MR2 NA (205/45 R16) on mostly country roads for 10 spirited miles
Have used these tyres for fast road and even track use. No doubt there are grippier tyres about but these are a great all round tyre and certainly the best you can get for the price.
Sidewalls are a bit softer than other tyres, solved by running a slightly higher PSI.
9 - tyre reviewed on September 22, 2018
Given 63% while driving a Alfa Romeo 156 1,8 TS (215/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 6,000 average miles
These tyres are good, to a certain extent. On a day-to-day basis, with a mostly easy going driving style, I don't have much to put on these, except for maybe noise. Wear level is fine.
But when you push these tyres, it's where things start going wrong. In dry, the feedback is good, as is the grip. When the roads are wet - or even just damp, things go badly. My ABS kicks in under moderately hard braking from only 40mph, and the car will understeer if I try pushing it too hard round a corner.
Based on the fact that they're useless in the wets, it's a definite no-no for a re-purchase.
5 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2018
Given 23% while driving a Volkswagen up! (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
An update to my earlier review from July where I replaced four Continentals with Toyos. In 3000 miles the sidewall developed a small hole in the side. Showed it in two tyre centers and they both said the same thing that Toyos have very rigid sidewalls and being made in Malaysia not suited to British climate. So I wasted my money on buying another to keep the matching four but if another one fails I’ll have to go with one odd tyre. In over 250,000 miles of motoring I’m a lifetime never had a sidewall develop a hole like that.
2 - tyre reviewed on August 18, 2018
Given 30% while driving a Volkswagen up! (185/50 R16) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
Bought 4 to replace Continental Premium Contact 2s and been disappointed from the start. Car slides when taking corners wet or dry to the point that worry about lose control. Regret selecting these and if could get money back I would but tyres don’t come with that. Have had to modify driving style because of these. Already showing signs of wear after 3000 miles.
7 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2018
Given 93% while driving a MINI Cooper S Works (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Love these tyres had pirelli p zeros before and the toyos have loads more grip in wet and dry also very surprised with the wear, fwd 250hp+, a heavy right foot tyres 8 months old more than half the tread still there. The price is very competitive compared to rivals cannot recommend highly enough. Will certainly be buying again
7 - tyre reviewed on July 14, 2018
Given 93% while driving a Mazda MX5 (225/45 R15) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
fantastic set of tires both in dry and wet i cant see how other people are complaining about them? i tried so hard to kick the ass out round a roundabout in downpour and its impossible! will buy again 100%
6 - tyre reviewed on May 17, 2018
Given 59% while driving a Renault Clio 172 (195/50 R15) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
Had these on my clio sport 172 and they’re ok if using around town but for fast spirited driving I wouldn’t recommend. Wear rate is very good and last ages. Wet grip is non existent.
6 - tyre reviewed on May 11, 2018
Given 92% while driving a Mitsubishi Evo 4 (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I have used toyo t1r's for a number of years and have had a set on my Mitsubishi evo 4 (running 380 bhp) for over 3 years. Never had any grip issues in the wet or dry. laterally or in in straight line. They have enough grip to stop the wheel spinning up when you do a 5k launch!

One thing i do wonder is whether or not Toyo have changed the compound as i see some advertised with a wet braking score of "c" and some with a wet braking score of "e". i know the ones i bought were rated as "e" and TBH they are great in any condition. Maybe the newer "c" rated tyres might be better at braking in a straight line but possibly due to a compound change (or how else do they have different ratings) not so good at lateral movement

to test this out i have bought a set for my Honda CRZ 205 45 17 (not sure on wet grip rating yet.)which i will also test out and post a review. But be sure that these are great tyres i had a set fitted to my rear wheel drive r33 GTSt skyline and they coped with 500 bhp and 500 lbs of torque so i'm at a loss to see how they could be so bad on some peoples cars unless they haven't inflated them properly or have geometry issues....
13 - tyre reviewed on April 3, 2018
Given 21% while driving a Mazda MX5 (205/45 R16) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
By far and away the worst tyre I have ever had the misfortune of owning and using.
Dry grip is just about bordering on acceptable but I'm being really generous when I say that.
Wet grip can at best be described as optimistic and the tyres do have a tendency of flooding and loosing all grip

But it's on damp or moist roads where the true, terrifying nature of these tyres really comes alive. There is no consistency in grip at all and the tyres are prone to just let go completely. There's no sign of warning that the tyres are losing grip, they just go from making a vague effort of having grip to giving up entirely, all in the space of a split second

These tyres should be taken off the market and consigned to the dustbin by Toyo. How they ever made it to production and public release is beyond me.
21 - tyre reviewed on March 1, 2018
Given 37% while driving a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo (190/50 R15 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Well... i had a set of these tyres fitted on the front of my 200hp FWD car and at first was slightly unimpressed at the levels of dry grip... then one day it rained.

The oxford English dictionary does not contain a single word to describe how bad this devil spawn of a tyre performs when faced with any type of moisture. I had as much control as my 3 yr old nephews RC car on our laminate kitchen floor.

Turning the steering wheel on any kind of wet roundabout resulted in certain under steer whereby my car would just carry on in a straight line, comparable to your Xbox controller batteries running out mid corner online on forza motorsport.

I had these on for 1 month and removed them, straight line acceleration had my front wheels spinning more than an autistic kids fidget spinner throughout the whole of the 2017 craze.

Id buy them again if held at gunpoint to do so, and would highly recommend them to my ex girlfriend.
19 - tyre reviewed on February 23, 2018
Given 37% while driving a Renault Clio 172 (195/45 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
These are the worst tyres I've ever owned and I would never buy them again. Grip in wet or icy conditions was dangerous on my car. So much so, I had to apply opposite lock on quite a few occasions as the Toyos at the rear generated would break away immediately with no warning. I then switched the Toyos to the front axel and the car understeered dangerously instead (even breaking away at sub 20 mph on occasions). As well as the lack of grip, these tyres also had very little feel through the steering wheel and made the car slower to respond to change of direction. In the dry they gripped a lot better but screeched a lot. In the end I ended up taking these tyres to the tip despite over 6mm of tread left on them. They were replaced with Continentals which had none of the above issues.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2018
Given 44% while driving a SEAT Leon FR Plus (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 150 spirited miles
Had these already fitted onto my Leon FR! Never again. Can not work out why people think these should go on anything more powerful than a shopping trolley. Wet grip=lethal, dry= bumb clenching. Possibly one of the worst tyres I have ever had on a car. A week after buying the car with these on had Pirelli nero's fitted. Avoid unless you like death.
22 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2017