Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Reviews (newest first) - Page 3

Given 90% while driving a Fiat Bravo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,500 spirited miles
Great tyre, handles well on the road and is comfortable in the wet. Would buy again...
0 - tyre reviewed on October 11, 2016
Given 71% while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium X (235/40 R18 W) on mostly town for 8,000 easy going miles
This is a great tyre!

It's not cheap, but it grips well on Mk4 Mondeo 140 and the reduction in road noise is significant. Also the comfort or the ride is improved.
BUT....... the wear is terrible!! a year in and less than 8000 miles and they're about done.

If money was no object, I would buy these again in a heartbeat, but it is and there is no way I can justify the expenditure for miles traveled
4 - tyre reviewed on June 28, 2016
Given 54% while driving a Volkswagen Polo BlueGT 6R (215/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 28,000 average miles
These tyres, 215/40 R17, came with the car, a Polo BlueGT and whilst they're good in the dry, are pretty much a let down in every other regard, excepting possibly wear. After around 28,000 miles, there's about 3-4mm left. Putting the power on in a corner, it is quite easy to lift a back wheel off the ground, but without power to pull the car through, the under steer is terrible. I am not confident with these tyres in the wet and once the temperature falls below 5 or so degrees, there is no grip at all except on a totally dry surface (hence the winter tyres). The Polo chassis probably doesn't help, but I have driven other Polo 6R's (loan cars) that felt more sure footed.
These tyres give the car a very firm and jittery ride, don't react well to surface imperfections and so noisy, even winter tyres (Goodyear Ultra 9) are noticeably quieter.
So, I've had enough of them and will be replacing the 17 inch wheels with 16 inch in order to change to slightly narrower but thicker and (thankfully) quieter tyres.
2 - tyre reviewed on June 11, 2016
Given 58% while driving a Jaguar XKR (285/30 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 7,500 spirited miles
Fitted these on my XKR, 420bhp all through the rears. Good on noise and dry grip though prone to let go unpredictably in the wet. I pushed these hard and was pleased to get nearly 7500 miles out of them.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 17, 2016
Given 77% while driving a Jaguar XF Sportbrake 2.2 (200) (255/35 R20 W) on mostly motorways for 12,000 average miles
Jaguar XF sportbrake, I have just refreshed the oem 'J' rated sport maxx with another pair on the rear at exactly 12000 miles. Sounds low but i would get lower milage than this on my old octavia and mondeo across a variety of brands, so im quite happy
These tyres are on the 'good' side of fine. They have tons of standard driving grip in both the wet and the dry for daily standard driving up and down a mix of A roads, motorway and towns around London.. They've never given me cause for concern, are comfy and quiet for what is a low profile with a huge footprint on 20" rims. I keep saying standard because these feel reall well balanced for a daily drive on a heavy but fast car.
The sportbrake when loaded weighs over two tonnes and has 200ps, but seriously it has never lost grip when I've been sensible. They do allow the back to step out if that's what you want, but as above this is a BIG and heavy vehicle. Stepping the rear out on a public road in this car may not be the most sensible thing to be doing ... I whave also been mightily impressed with the motorway wet grip , in the worst rain conditions i can remember for years, and in the dry they seem to just dig in (most of the time).

I know the jag spec is xl, and comes with a different model number on the dunlop website to the non jag spec (and actually worse noise and wet grip ratings!) but i am really happy , the tyre does feel especially well suited to the car, which after all is a fast family luxury vehicle / battlecruiser when it wants to be. Its not a GTi and isnt designed for racing through town, but comfy cruising at speed.
19 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2016
Given 79% while driving a SEAT Ibiza FR TDi (215/40 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 10,000 average miles
A good mid range tyre, bought for my Ibiza TDI FR with 200bhp and the grip is good in both dry and wet. However when pushed its hard to find the moment of progressive grip loss, you either have lots of grip or none. Wear is acceptable to very good, they have lasted 10k on the fronts so far and have 4mm left so id expect another 5k before being replaced. Main reason i bought these was to reduce tyre noise which admittedly did help compared to Bridgestones, but im have just found quieter ones with theHankook ventus prime and trying those next.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 4, 2016
Given 38% while driving a Mercedes Benz CLK 320 CDI (255/35 R18 W) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
I found these tyres really quite disappointing. I put them on as my preferred choice were unavailable; and I needed to get the car through an MOT.
I found the wet grip to be treacherous, with very little feedback. They'd just completely let go all of a sudden. They've worn pretty quickly; lasted 12 months exactly, maybe 12-15k I've not kept a detailed record, but in defence of the tyres I did push them pretty hard at times. Dry grip isn't bad at all; but since a properly clean & dry road is so rare in this country, far less useful.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 13, 2016
Given 58% while driving a Mercedes Benz s320 cdi (255/35 R20) on mostly motorways for 25,000 easy going miles
Noisy tyre..wear on both edges..Tyre pressure and alignment okay...But only on front axle from the w221 s320 cdi.... Rear axle wear okay
Total 25.000 Miles

0 - tyre reviewed on November 1, 2015
Given 86% while driving a Jaguar XF S (255/35 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 18,000 average miles
My car came fitted with these (Jaguar rated) tyres when I bought it. The rears were new and fronts I imagine quite recent. The XF-S is a 1.8 tonne 275bhp/600Nm car so with a lead foot driver, the tyres take a hammering. That said, even on full throttle out of a junction I've rarely seen much wheel spin, in the wet the tyre is confidence inspiring and on the dry they grip well, making the car very chuckable.
After 18,000 miles in 16 months rears are 2mm in the middle but still 4mm on the edges and the fronts are badly tracked but still have over 3mm elsewhere. so If I'd rotated them and dropped the rear pressures a bit I suspect they'd easily have done another 3-4,000 which would have been pretty good imho. Usage has been mainly 6 mile commute with a number of 200 mile runs.
Recently I've noticed some tram lining and a bit of vibration and of course the ride isn't as good as it once was but as the tracking is clearly out, that may explain some of it and grip has remained excellent throughout, even in the wet.
Considered Avons and Khumos as replacements (used to use them on my Merc) but whilst they are probably as good grip wise and probably comparable on wear, I had to frequently rebalance them, which I haven't on the Dunlops. I guess thats where the extra quality shows. Just ordered 4 more.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2015