Michelin Road 5

The Michelin Road 5 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Motorcycles.

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Road 4.

Tyre review data from 17 tyre reviews averaging 86% over 66,200 miles driven.

The Road 5 is ranked 6th of 23 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2020 Motorcycle Sports Touring Tyre Test - 5th of 6 tyres

• Overall - The Road 5 makes the bike light to steer, nimble and accurate. They make direction changes easy and it feels like you can place the bike anywhere you want, with great confidence even from cold. Very stable at lower speeds but w hen riding quickly they felt a bit overwhelmed by the weight of the BMW.
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
180/55 R17 73W         6.15kgs
160/60 R17 69W         6.19kgs
120/70 R17 58W         4.26kgs
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Michelin Road 5. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Road 5 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin Road 5 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a (190/55 R17) on for 0 miles
Have these on my Bking and my X11 commuter. Great all round tyre that doesnt fall short in any direction.
94 - tyre reviewed on June 7, 2018
Given 47% while driving a BMW R1200GS (145/70 R17 R) on mostly country roads for 9,000 spirited miles
I drive all year and have over the years climbed through the ranks from nameless tires via Anakee II, to Pilot Road 4, to Road 5.
I loved the PR4 and believed the wined and dined reporters initial reviews that the Road 5 would be better. It is not!
If I am honest it is on par with the road driving capabilities of the Anakee II, which is not a touring road tire. But it claims to be, and it should be, better than the PR4. And therefor I can not state other than that this is the worst tire I have owned. I feel it struggle for grip in the dry, in the wet it is worse, it slides/ steps off all the seems and blemishes in the road, and it wears way quicker than promised. It is also the tire that made me slide on my **s in a slight drizzle coming off a roundabout (yes tires were warm, tires driven in for 1500km, smooth acceleration, being an all season driver for 10 years this was my first slide). After this I have been analysing the tire for about 5 months to give an honest review and not an angry rant. But in all fairness for the price and the quality it claims it should have, this is an awful tire. I would, and have, adviced people against buying it. And after this I will go either back to PR4 or Anakee III, but never to Road 5. Michelin, your Road 5 is bad and you should feel bad.
41 - tyre reviewed on July 16, 2019
Given 67% while driving a (180/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
This is a soft tyre that has excellent levels of grip. Unfortunately, that's all I can say, in any positive way. These are horrible tyres when it comes to puncture resistance and longevity. The carcass is so soft, that any small nail or piece of metal will in all likelihood puncture the tyre. This does not bode well for road side fixes like tubeless plugs, nor for more permanent internal patches. I had a tubless plug spat out of this tyre that lead to a sudden deflation. Never in 30 plus years of riding and driving has this happened. When the tyre was removed and a mushroom style plug fitted, it failed to inflate. The carcass is so soft it would not vulcanise properly. The proof of this was the ease in which the tyre could be mounted on the rim with hand tools. Never again will I buy anything made by Michelin. This is a poor wearing tyre that lasted only 6000km whilst the Pilot 4s I had fitted previously lasted over 15000km. I'll stick with Japanese manufactured tyres from now on.
25 - tyre reviewed on July 21, 2020
Have you driven on the Michelin Road 5 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin Road 5? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin Road 5 >

Latest Michelin Road 5 Reviews

Given 97% while driving a Triumph 1050 Sprint ST (180/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Been superb in all conditions. Love them, they transformed the bike.
2 - tyre reviewed on July 12, 2021
Kawasaki (190/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 600 average miles
Fitted for about a year, around 600 miles and picked up a nail,.tyre not repairable. Expected much more robustness for the money.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 12, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 8,700 average miles
Fitted a set at 4500 miles. Have done two long trips in France, Spain and Portugal in very mixed weather. The tyres have been faultless transforming the handling. My companions were also using Road 5s and would not ride on any other tyre. Currently on 13200 miles with plenty left on the front and about 1000 on the rear. An excellent tyre that matches the DL 1000s characteristics perfectly.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 11, 2020
Given 100% while driving a (160/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Unbelievable tyres. In fact I literally mean that. They’ve somehow combined dry grip of track tyres with magical wet grip that’s just as good! I think because they use different compounds for the centre and edges of the tyre. Which leads on to how they last so long. I did about 6000 miles on them and they only seemed half done when I sold my bike. This included on the autobahn and a mixture of country roads. Never had a flat centre on the tyre. And never slipped on the edge at all
0 - tyre reviewed on December 7, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Honda VFR 800 (180/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 7,500 spirited miles
On a VFR800 for 7500 miles: rear still had 2.5mm usable tread (est 5k miles), front was down to wear bars on LHS. Excellent tyre, never skipped a beat wet or dry, steering felt fine at all times. I will defintely buy again (having tried PR1 3 times and PR3 once, avoided PR4). It always used to be that rears wore quicker than front, but not now? Dual rubber construction very visible on rear tyre when worn (need a photo), makes it look like something is wrong. Better than all the other tyres I have tried on this bike: BT-020, Avon Storm, Conti-Motion (yuk), except perhaps the PR3.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 27, 2020
Given 78% while driving a Honda CB400SF (160/60 R17 W) on mostly town for 1,000 easy going miles
I live in Singapore, a country with a tropical climate and high humidity, and lots of torrential rains. It is a very small island-like country that mostly communes about 30km at a stretch and rarely above 40km in one go. My bike only weighs about 200+kg. Climate usually above 30-degree Celcius all year round. My average speed in the expressways usually around 80km/h to 100km/h. For dry grip when compared to the Pilot Power 2CT, this tyre is not as grippy or as comfortable. The sense of confidence to ride this in dry conditions is just normal, nothing impressive. Tyre seems to warm up slowly in the dry weather. However, once the rain starts pouring, there seems to be no difference in traction loss at all when compared to Pilot Power 2CT. The tyre feels as if I am still riding in dry conditions and it is really so amazing, totally no difference! This tyre really gives the confidence and sense of safety. Even during hard braking in the heavy rain, it is astonishing to see the performance is no difference as compared to riding in the dry conditions! Amazing Technology and Innovation from Michelin! This tyre is really a miracle, a gift from God! In my opinion, I highly recommend this tyre to be the one-tyre-do-all dry/wet for all motorbikes in Singapore.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 25, 2020
Given 91% while driving a Honda CBR 600F4i (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Amazing wet grip, feels in it s element, Gives such a safe feeling, very good handling, look amazing, great wear, Love them.
9 - tyre reviewed on June 4, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Kawasaki ER6F (160/70 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
Absolutely great tyres, last 14k miles and provide insane wet grip. It's near impossible to spin them on a torquey 650 and give confidence to lean even in pouring rain. For feedback and handling they were on the high end of average but definitely sportable. I've done trackdays on these tyres and had no problem getting knee down as the very edge of the tyre is basically a race slick. Reasonable price too. I would have bought these again if Michelin didn't come out with the Power 5s but Instead I'm trying a bit more sporty approach on the otherwise identical tyres.
8 - tyre reviewed on May 22, 2020
Given 91% while driving a (190/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 0 miles
Great mileage and I'm now in my second pair of Michelin Road 5 on a BMW K1300R.
The first pair lasted over 15k km of touring style riding that more than 2k km were in wet to pouring rain condition. I loved the feedback especially in the wet and now I use the second pair for occasional track days with pressure 32psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. The only problem I found so far is a wiggle sensation while driving out of a corner. It's not something that happens often but has happened enough times to take notice.
All in all, an excellent all around option for sport-touring
15 - tyre reviewed on August 21, 2019
Given 90% while driving a Kawasaki ER6F (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,500 spirited miles
6,500 miles and still going. I'd say they have another 2,000 miles in them at a guess. Even better than the Pilot 4's. I have them fitted on my ER-6F which has done 15,000 miles from new. These tires are almost as good in the wet as the dry, and they are excellent in the dry. Yes they are expensive but definitely worth it. I don't tend to hang about so ride fairly fast everywhere. These tires have taken me all over the UK in all types of weather on all types of roads, from motorways to country lanes. Superb and highly recommended and last a long time!
5 - tyre reviewed on April 21, 2019
Given 96% while driving a Triumph Street Triple RS (180/55 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 4,500 spirited miles
fitted to 2018 Street triple RS

These tyres are amazing! I have so far completed 3500 miles of daily riding as well as 4 trackdays and they have never let me down. you may think I was taking it easy on the trackdays but I sit generally at the top of the intermediate group and somtimes the slower of the advanced groups... not sure if that is because I ride a 765cc naked bike against 1000cc superbikes but whatever.. I have fun. I have had these tyres on the very edge and they didnt even wobble. They warm up extremely fast (half a lap at brands hatch) and are consistent lap after lap.
Heavy rain and standing water... no issues

I have labled this is a mid-life review, although I have now replaced the tyres with the power RS from michelin, i have kept the Road 5's because they still have a great deal of life left in them.

Cannot go wrong with this tyre!
12 - tyre reviewed on February 21, 2019