Michelin Pilot Road 4

The Michelin Pilot Road 4 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Motorcycle

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Road 3

This tyre has been replaced by the Michelin Road 5

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 64,115 miles driven.

Reports

Latest Group Test Results

2014 Motorrad Premium Touring Motorcycle Tyre Test - 1st of 7 tyres

• Overall - In bad weather Michelin riders have always have good cards. The new Road 4 shows, as expected, no weaknesses
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Michelin Pilot Road 4
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Michelin Pilot Road 4 Reviews

Given 80% while driving a Kawasaki ZZR1400 (190/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 6,000 spirited miles
Tyres are really good in general use. However, you need to be careful for the first hundred miles or so as the tread has little grip (wet or dry) until roughed up.
On tyre life I got about the same life as PR3s when Michelin advertise it should be more.
117 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2016
Given 91% while driving a Honda Motorcycle CB1300 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 spirited miles
Great tyres for UK or wet weather, but also fantastic on dry roads. I now only get Michelin Pilot Road 4 because they last me long enough giving me confidence on wet roads. My bike is quite heavy and tyres do get squared off due to lack of bendy roads, but that's not the fault of tyres.
12 - tyre reviewed on December 12, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Kawasaki 650 Versys (160/60 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
The tyres that came with the bike from new only lasted about 3000 miles. I replaced them with the Road Pilot 4 and I've done another 5000 miles and I've probably lost about 2mm in tread. The confidence the tyre gives you in the wet and dry in the corners is amazing. Plus they use these tyres on Police bikes so, they can't be that bad.
7 - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2016
Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin Pilot Road 4? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin Pilot Road 4 >

Latest Michelin Pilot Road 4 Reviews

Given 84% while driving a Suzuki GSX S1000 (190/50 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Used on a Suzuki gsx s1000 for approximately 2000 miles for touring duties and weekend fun. Replaced the awful in the wet factory Dunlops. Dry grip: is quite good for what the tyre is designed for. They will slip a little on their side if provoked but are progressive and controlled. Wet: what this tyre excells at and probably the best you'll buy, no issues. Handling: The steering is neutral. Feedback: Not the best on warm days as the tread pattern causes movement. Braking: just for comparison i tested against a triumph Street triple 765rs wearing super corsa sp from 60-0mph full abs at 20c tyres warmed to road temperature. On both occasions there was no notable difference between the two for braking on dry tarmac at least. Wear: Started with 6.7mm and is now sitting at 5mm at the rear after 2000 miles. Good choice if you don't like replacing tyres often. Conclusion: A tyre well suited for UK climate and probably all the tyre you will need. However on replacement i will go for a sportier Michelin for better feedback and quicker steering.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 23, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Suzuki 2000 vatari jx2.0 (180/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
A very good tyre. Predictable in the wet and dry. Inspires confidence with the excellent grip levels at hand.
The wear rates are quite good, but the edges seemed to wear quicker than the middle section which was a little too hard for my liking. I would buy them again and I feel they last longer than the newer Pilot Road 5 tyres.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 28, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Mazda 6 Tourer 2.2D Sport (225/45 R19) on mostly motorways for 1,500 spirited miles
Bought these to replace original fit Bridgestone toranza fitted to Mazda 6 touring. They have transformed the cornering and wet handling giving a much more assured, confident feel.
Do a lot of motorway miles where these tyres have improved directional stability with the car less likely to track and wonder in the inside lane.
High price but hopefully will be rewarded with better wear life along with the handling benefits.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 22, 2019
BMW (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Uk Review K1300r
Bought these a year ago and loved the wet grip. A really good tyre with half decent wear about 3.5- 4k miles on a rear. The downside is the tyres are really slippery when new and need a lot of careful bedding in. Also don't by them before winter because although the wet weather performance is amazing, when you start leaning over in the summer you'll find they're even more slippery than before. No high speed cornering as soon as you get into that unused edge it'll start to walk and not in a nice easy way. Even at 30mph throwing it round some tight corners I had to stamp my foot down to stop the bike sliding. Not a pleasant experience on a heavy bike. A great shame as their overall performance is good. Maybe buy them in summer to wear the edges down then enjoy the ride all year round in all weathers.
1 - tyre reviewed on May 14, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Toyota Yaris (205/50 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 1,300 average miles
Indonesian Review !!!
Got 4 sets of new Pilot Sport 4...
The OEM fitted was Bridgestone Turanza ER33 for 4 years, this tyre absolutely rubbish.. when I drove in rainy season, this tyre can not handle wet condition and the aquaplaning is really bad (absolutely bad). When ER33 was fitted, the biggest problem is understeer since my car is FWD. it lost grip when I entered corners because my house is in plateau area which built with many corners.
the OEM fitted was 195/50R16.... therefore, for better cornering I chose wider tyres than the OEM fitted. So, I went for 205/50ZR16 for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with OEM wheels.
The difference is really big !, the first time I drove the car when it came out from the tire workshop is absolutely amazing. The steering feel is pretty surprising because it felt lighter and easy to turn.
When I was entering corners, it gripped really well. So, it was easy to came out the corner. The breaking distance is really well. I know I'd never measured the breaking distance when I use ER33 but PS4 is much much better.
I thought since it's sport tyre, the compound will be hard and harsh when it hits speed bumps or uneven road surface, but it feels good or much better than ER33 (with soft compound) because Michelin mixed the compound for better performance for daily driving.
Since, I get this PS4 in dry season, I could not review when it hits wet road. Hopefully, I can give next review when it comes to rainy season...
I totally recommend this Michelin PS4 for you guys who drive sedan, hatchback or even MPV. Try this Michelin PS4 and you will never get upset and makes your old tyre rubbish.
4 - tyre reviewed on August 28, 2018
12 - tyre reviewed on December 12, 2017
Given 67% while driving a Ducati Monster 821 (180/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,000 easy going miles
Tyres been used on a Monster 821.. huge torque so didn't expect much life but they're dead after 5000miles.
I commute all year round in the Lake District, they grip pretty well in all conditions but they do move around an awful lot in the wet compared to the pirellis that were on there from factory and the Metzeler M5 interacts I had fitted to my previous bike. They wore much better than the Rosso 2 on the front, the rear is about the same.

They offer reasonable feedback and reasonable warm up in cold weather and wet roads, clear water well but doesn't inspire confidence and is a little slower to respond though this could be down to pressures or suspension. Rear traction is where these fall fowl as even with a small throttle input they still spin up over bumps, drains etc.

Also until they're bedded in they border on being leathal on anything but a dry road.

I wouldn't buy them again as that simple aren't as good as the Metzeler M5s which didn't even break loose in the snow on the up a 20% gradient.
4 - tyre reviewed on June 6, 2017
Given 76% while driving a Kawasaki z1000 (195/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
I've been riding road bikes since I was 18yo Im now 54 so I have a lot of experience on this.
These are brilliant tyres for a tourer or a commuter that does a lot of miles but also gets out into the twisties to have some fun.
Once warm they do grip brilliantly for a tyre with an expected life on a 1000cc bike of over 18000klm
I have these on the rear of my Kawasaki Ninja 1000abs ( z1000sx) and have screwed them nicely for the past 12000klm since the bike was new. they only have about 2000klm left now but still grip well but are feathered up quite bad due to the severe cramp I seem to get in my right wrist from time to time
Recommend these? Yes in a heart beat... but my next set will be Metzler M7RR's I think for more grip.

Have a nice day.
From the land of OZ.
1 - tyre reviewed on May 5, 2017
Given 86% while driving a Kawasaki zx12r (190/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 0 spirited miles
I've ridden 50.000miles (no commuting) on my 12, which I have owned for 12 years. I have fitted Dunlop 207, Avon Storm 2, Metzeler Sportec M5, Maxxis M6029 Supermaxx, CST C6577 Adreno (shock/horror), Bridgestone BT014, BT021, BT023, and Continentals, all ranging from 1500 miles to 3500 miles out of a rear tyre, using two rears to one front. But the Michelin Pilot Road 4's have managed 5800 miles out of a rear on both occasions I have used them, and are my favorite choice of tyre at the moment.

0 - tyre reviewed on April 11, 2017
Given 80% while driving a Triumph tiger 1050 (180/55 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 8,800 average miles
Dry & wet grip is quite good clears the water fine according to my pal following behind. The front is wearing out faster then the rear but I've never had more than 7k'ish miles before from any year, currently on 8,800, should be good for 10k I'd guess. Comfort is on a par with similar top of the range st tyres.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2017