Avon ZZ5

Avon ZZ5 Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 96% while driving a Ford fiesta st (205/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 17,000 spirited miles
Purchased a pair for the front of my ST200, now twenty months old and very near to needing replacement. They were immediately quieter than the Ford standard fit and have been providing me excellent grip throughout their use. I'm seeking to buy ZZ5's again!
0 - tyre reviewed on October 11, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Audi TT MK2 TFSI (225/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 4,000 average miles
If you have a heavy oil burner with soggy suspension you should not be buying sport tyres. If however you drive a mid weight VW TT or GtI you definitely want these. Lets start by saying a performance tyre will not last as long , I know this is an obvious mute point but it needs to be said. So lets start by saying we had these on the car when we bought it and the fronts even worn to legal limit felt fantastic, I had to get an old stock set as I dont think they make them any more any way put them on they feel like typical new tyres bouncy squidgy but after less 150 miles they are back to the perfect tyre for on the TT. The grip turn in and progressiveness of this tyre is outstanding as is mid corner stability. I send best wishes to engineer that designed his tyre ....outstanding on VW AUDI
0 - tyre reviewed on September 3, 2020
Given 76% while driving a Audi A6 2.0 TDIe C6 model (255/35 R19 W) on mostly town for 20,000 average miles
Bought these with Audi A6 C6 '10 plate. They were pretty much new when I bought the car. 20k later there was nothing left on the front. I still got few k left on rear ones. The sportiest tyres I ve had, however I never really owned a proper sport tyre before. In warm weather, once the tyre was warm I was really happy with the grip, handling and responsivness even though my Audi was front wheel drive only. Had my car remapped to 205bhp on the wheel and aprox 430NM so quite a lot of torque sent to the front. In these conditions tyre performed really well. Even more experienced drivers were suprised at what speeds you can go around the corner. On the other hand, in wet and cold conditions it can be quite scary, trying to go up the hill and around the corner in first normally results in wheelspin howevever I am aware my front were worn unevenly. It appeared previous owner was putting way to much air in them as middle part had considerably less tread than sides. Had the front swapped for Nexen N Fera SU4 (75 a piece). This was much more comfortable to ride on and better in wet however much noisier and even though the dry grio was good, Avon felt much sportier and way mlre responsive. Overall really good in dry, not so good in wet. Not the best in terms of wear. For 124 a tyre I will be trying Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5 as it has much better reviews and I miss the sporty feel.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 6, 2020
Given 97% while driving a Audi TT Mk1 1.8T 225BHP (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 1,500 spirited miles
Fitted to my Audi TT Quattro, replaced set of miss matched Chinese hedge finders that came with the car. Absolutely transformed the handling. Ok I've got four wheel drive but have never managed to loose grip in spirited driving in the wet or dry. Were rubbish for the first hundred or so miles, really slippy but guess they were bedding in.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 15, 2020
Audi A4 1.8T S Line (255/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 11,500 average miles
Purchased used Audi A4 with 4x new Avon ZZ5 tyres. Less than 12000 miles later I’m changing all tyres. Whilst there’s a good amount of tread left, I’ve never been satisfied or felt secure with grip in either wet or dry conditions. However, my biggest complaint is tyre noise. Whilst I appreciate a 19” tyre will never provide a quiet, comfortable ride, these tyres are woeful. The tyres make a drone noise similar to a failing bearing and especially in colder conditions. I’ve been to several garages who have confirmed bearings are good and all suspect the tyres. For me and my fellow passengers sanity these tyres are going. Would I recommend? No. Would I buy myself? Definitely not.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 26, 2019
Given 100% while driving a Mazda MX5 2.0 SE (ND 2015 onwards) (205/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Fitted them to fronts of my MX5, after puncture on original Bridgestone tyre ... these are so much better. Definitely recommend. More grip and feel, especially when below 15 DegC - inspiring confidence, without any wear issues.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 16, 2019
Given 74% while driving a Ford S Max Titanium X Sport (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
While these tyres perform well in dry and wet conditions after 10000 miles I can say predominant dry driving will wear these tyres quickly. Switching tyres back to front half way is advised as the drive tryes lose adhesion after some wear, which translates poor wet driving grip.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2019
Given 81% while driving a Fiat 500 Abarth (205/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 4 spirited miles
Fitted these tyres after acquiring some larger OEM wheels with no tyres. I’d shopped around and looked at alternatives from Pirelli, hankook and Michelin but decided on Avon’s due to reviews and price (cost me £277 fitted)

These tyres grip very well in the dry even when pushing the car, they seem to gradually lose grip and push into underdetermined but I have to really push the car to get that to happen.

In the wet they also have a good amount of grip. Not as good the uniroyal rainsport 3 tyres I was running previously. Although they still grip at 50 mph during corners in the cold wet weather.

After 4,500 miles they seem to be wearing well with a good amount of tread remaining, that’s being fitted to my 165bhp Abarth. They’re a bit noisy and uncomfortable but then again the car isn’t so it could just be the car and not the tyres
0 - tyre reviewed on November 7, 2019
Given 76% while driving a MG ZTT 135 diesel (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
I loved these tyres when I first bought them. First thing I noticed was how quiet they were. Very grippy in the wet, dry and all summer tyre conditions (but not tried them in the ice and snow). Great driving feedback and fairly progressive too. Wear initially appeared to be good, but after less than 10,000 miles, both are now down to the tread wear markers. I don't drive aggressively and given that all other sets of tyres on the same car have outlasted these, I can't recommend them. A shame because in all other respects these are excellent. If Avon sorted out the wear, they'd have a winner on their hands.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 4, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Ford Focus (235/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Best tyre I've used won't put anything else on my focus st
0 - tyre reviewed on October 13, 2019