Continental WinterContact TS 860 Reviews - Page 2

Given 91% while driving a Toyota Auris (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 5,000 average miles
Those are really premium tires. I had GoodYear before.. i mean they weren't bad or anything but with Continental the whole driving in rain and snow felt more safe! Would recommend!
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on April 8, 2020
BMW (225/50 R17 V) on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
Excellent
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on March 11, 2020
Given 91% while driving a Mercedes Benz 250D (1991) (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 18,000 average miles
WHAT A TYRE!! I couldn't think of better winter tyre atm... Had Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 before that were good for aprox. 3000 miles, and after that they basically became hard plastic (all in same winter that I bought them and installed them on car)... Got TS860 because my friend recommended them for winter 2017/2018... As I have really really really really steep hill to my house, where even 4x4 car with moderate tyres struggle on even a little wet road, just imagine what my 30 years old Mercedes with rwd and without traction control feels like... On that hill I am not only able to go without any wheelspin on wet road (which i found impossible with any tyre before) but I can come to full stop at any point and start driving again like it is totally dry road, just mindblowing... Sometimes I feel that they even have better grip on wet road than ecocontact6 have on dry road in summer... I only had 1 chance to drive on snow and ice, as it doesn't snow in my area, and they performed fantastic... This set is at end of their life after cca 25-30k km (15-18k miles), maybe half mm until "minimum depth" mark, so I am going to buy new set in few days...

Until Continental launches new tyre to replace TS860 I won't think of trying other winter tyre... I can't even think how can winter tyre be improved over this
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2020
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 82% while driving a Citro├źn C4 (195/65 R15 H) on mostly country roads for 14 spirited miles
Not much snow in my area and not many steep hills or bad off camber bends, but many roads will not be salted or ploughed. Always lots of rain and a fair bit of frost and ice.

Great on cold wet roads below 10 C, especially deep puddles. I was willing to trade some snow and ice performance for these characteristics.

Very good on dry roads, chippings, frost and snow.

Good on sheet ice, if they did slip they tended to catch again within an inch or 2. I found it best to drive with my foot off the throttle and use gears to set my speed.

Comfort is very good, although the tyres do thrum a bit and the sidewalls are a bit flexible, tyre flex is especially noticeable with a loaded car and my car is light.

Tyres are on their third and probably last season as I always bin tyres way ahead of the legal limit, which will be about 20000 miles, which for me is about 1/3 less than most tyres.
Unless something way better is introduced I will most probably get these again, but I might change to 16 inch rims and/or XL rated versions.

HTH

Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on December 31, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Opel Vectra C 2.0T (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Substituted some old Pirelli Snow Sport 210, which were nice for the snow but not good tyres overall. The change was very noticeable. These tyres perform well enaough in the dry. Only when braking very hard the high treadpattern limits the grip. I guess they would improve on this as they wear.
Feedback is just fair in the dry too. Comfort is average. On the bright side, they are quiet and rolling resistance seems to be moderate.
In the wet the tyre is very good. As good as any summer tyree as far as I could test it. Very ressitant to aquaplaning and grippy on every surface.
Snow performance is better than any other tyre I have tried. Grip is good enough to drive normally, just being moderate. Traction is good even on a loaded FWD car going up steep slopes. I never got stuck or had significant wheelspin, and I had the chance to drive several times on hard conditions. Just Great.
Wear has been low for 11.000Km
Overall the tyre is very good, I would go for them again anytime. It's a pity ther is no size of this for my new car.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on December 14, 2019
Toyota (205/55 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
The TS860 is a really good tire, I have them on my car, which doesn't have traction control or anything to moderate slip, I also had worn discs and pads and not once did I feel insecure this winter.
Dry conditions: They grip well, but they're not for hotter days as they feel too soft on a hot road but they're a winter tire after all.
Wet conditions: I felt confident in these which were a big step up from my previous tires but they did make a lot of noise, a bit too much for my taste, which was unsettling as the noise it made sounded like I was losing grip but I wasn't.
Snow & ice : They were wonderful, grip was good but the highlight is the braking, I had a few emergency stops and they did not slide at all.
Comfort: I live in Belgium in a rural area and the roads are in catastrophic state and on those roads they're not the most comfortable tire and they make a bit of noise which I don't mind as it's a way to communicate to the driver. However on a smooth or slightly cracked road they do well.

I would definately buy them again and recommend them to a friend. They fit a normal driving style on a regular car, they're okay with taking corners quickly and don't produce early understeer.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on April 9, 2019
Given 90% while driving a BMW 118d (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
probably the best snow tires I had. They replaced a Michelin Alpin5. This tires are better than Michelin on snow and ice. Very comfy and low noise on road, even on motorway.
I recommend them.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on April 8, 2019
Given 48% while driving a Fiat LINEA T JET (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 6,500 average miles
I have a Fiat Linea T-Jet car, a 120-horsepower 206 Newton meter torque. On average, I drive 10 km a day, 20 km highway 20km highway. Over 80 Km / h the Conti is very, very loud. On the ice and on the ice soon lose the grip! Aquaplaning should only be expected at higher speeds. It behaves fairly well in rain and dry roads. Flat road and city for cars with lower power and torque, or ESP and torque-controlled cars. The 2003 Semperit SportGrip and the 2008 Dunlop Winter Sport D 3 are better on snowy and bumpy roads and quieter! Wear-resistant, after 10,000 km of running, 7mm of the first driven, 7.7mm rear tire. I thought better, I expected the right from the world famous Continental brand! Could the Conti 860 S have to be bought? If you have someone's experience, please write it.
Helpful 14 - tyre reviewed on February 6, 2019
Given 78% while driving a Opel Meriva B 1.4 LPG (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 12,427 average miles
I purchased a set of these as new in 2017 (production year 2017 also). Summer tyre is Bridgestone ER300. Comparing to this summer tyre - very quiet tyre, I was astonished - and still am. This is the least noisy winter tyre ever, furthermore it is more quiet then many summer tyres I owned in the past. Big plus. This is their second season. Another big plus - they are visibly more fuel efficient than the said Bridgestones. Wow.

Second of all - I bought these because I was always changing tyres late on, and getting back to summer tyres at first signs of spring. Why? Because of inadequate wet/dry handling of winter tyres. Now these tyres are perfect on wet and dry roads, grip is perfect in all of such conditions, just as the reviews I've read said. Nice.

Unfortunately snow and ice grip is not that good comparing to other winter tyres I have owned. Not that they are not predictable - they simply lack the grip that I had with some other brands. I can definetely feel the car, and a hard stop or corner is predictable. TC off in high snow-mud is a must. Still the tyre is solid in such conditions.

Wear seems to be on the faster side - a tradeoff for wet/dry conditions. Currently on second season front is around 5,0-5,5mm, rear 6,0-6,5mm. I think that at the end of the winter I'll hit them at 4 and 5,5mm respectively. For the third season I'll change frontrear and finish them off during the spring/summer. The tyres I think are good for 30000-40000km in winter and then maybe 10000km as summer finish.

First season they have been definetely better then in the second season. Small skidding has been now observed on wet roads. Still something that is not unexpected, but I guess that with age the tyres will have to behave worse. Seems that the compound hardened - my impression.

All in all a great winter tyre especially if most of Your winter is on wet/dry roads.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on January 10, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Mercedes Benz C180 (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Bought these tires last year as winter-tires and I now using them again for the winter.
Surprisingly good performance on dry roads even at temperature up to +20 C, very stable and good handling, comfortable and low noise-level.
The grip on dry roads in corners and turns are very good for a winter tire, not exactly as firm as a good summer tire but it is not at all far away.
Very good in wet and heavy rain, very safe in the wet regardless of temperature.
Regarding snow and ice conditions, my car is a 2013 Mercedes C class with a rear wheel drive, it is not a very good car for snowy and icy roads, I can only give my review based on this type of car, I have never driven with these tires on any other car.
The snow and ice performance on my car is most likely significantly reduced compared to basically any front-wheel drive car.
On this car the Continentals are, with reservation, acceptable on snow and ice conditions, but not more.
They are obviously much better than worthless summer-tires in the winter but it is obviously important to be aware of their limits.
On soft and relatively deep and dry snow , they are capable of climbing a 4 km long steep uphill curvy road without too much problems.
On wet and heavy snow and also in heavy slush these tires have huge problems on this car, on that same uphill road I have a very difficult time even to get halfway to my home and while my car gets to a complete standstill when my anti-spin effectively stops any spin, but also consequently any forward movement, my neighbors with their front-wheel drive cars in any shape and sizes are just sailing by me without any problems.
On pure icy roads it is better to leave the car in the garage, certainly if you are going up or downhill, basically no grip at all.
I must always be very careful in any corner and turns when there is snow and/or ice, the car slides very easily.
I can recommend these tires for winters with only occasional snow and ice conditions, but always be aware of their limits, and be aware of your cars limits.
For real lasting winter conditions I strongly recommend so-called "Nordic" winter tires if you can get them, they are usually far better for snow and ice although with reduced dry performance, maybe even reduced wet performance.
Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli, Nokian etc have "Nordic" winter-tires as options, much better for long lasting winters especially if your car, like mine, is not very suitable for winter conditions.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2018
Given 86% while driving a Renault Megane II Break 1.5dCI 105Hp (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 8,700 spirited miles
Been driving them for 2 winters for around 14000 km-8700 miles. Thread left is 5mm, so for another winter. Drive is great, when new there was a little wobble in corners, now there great,,, good on snow, especialy good on wet road. Will buy again even thou i think the wear is avarage.
Helpful 15 - tyre reviewed on April 1, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 3,900 spirited miles
Never had better winter tyre. Grip in wet, dry and snow is perfect. Wear is also good, after 6000km they have worn for 1-1,5mm. And they are quiet.
There are only two downsides. Sidewalls are pretty soft so car will loose a bit of steering response but not handling and because of thread design they pick up sand and stones so much that i have no color left on side skirts and rear bumper.
If roads in your country are sanded during winter you should consider buying mudflaps.
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on March 24, 2018