Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat

The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 141 tyre reviews averaging 49% over 2,145,899 miles driven.

The Potenza RE050A Run Flat is ranked 70th of 70 Summer Max Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat

Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat Reviews

Given 20% while driving a BMW E93 330i (225/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Very dangerous tyre. These tyres should be taken off the market. I refer only to the low profile tyres (30 or 35) on a BMW 19" wheels. Totally unforgiving tyre which will crack your wheels and give awful handling and appalling ride quality. I've never had a car that is legally unsafe to drive on the road. On the plus side, they got me home when i lost pressure in the rear tyre - however it wasn't a puncture but a cracked alloy. New wheel and new tyre £850 ouch! then discovered the other wheel is also cracked.
Helpful 95 - tyre reviewed on December 21, 2012
Given 84% while driving a BMW 1 series (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,200 spirited miles
Bought them this summer and was really surprised by the performance, even more when i was looking at the test result's.
In my oppinion it's a better tyre than the test's show.
Did have the old RE050A and was pleased with them also.

With the RFT a can corner harder, the car isn't so soft, it corners great and the road feedback is good.
They are little more harder and noisy but hey, that's the price for paying if you want your car to go as on railroads ;)
Helpful 12 - tyre reviewed on October 28, 2017
Given 26% while driving a BMW 645 (245/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 9,000 spirited miles
dear oh fecking dear ...these are truly the worst tyre I have ever came across in nearly 30 years driving ....harsh , smashes over small bumps and uneven surfaces , I'm waiting for the windscreen to crack , grip in the dry is only just there , in the wet there is nothing ... just vagueness and nothing .... no grip , no feedback , nothing , It feels like the tyres are made of hard plastic like you get on a kids toy .dangerous too , over bumps and potholes makes the whole car skip sideways , or worse on a big roundabout with expansion gaps .. the car skids a foot sideways everytime you drive over a gap .... never , ever , ever ever , never , ever again ............never
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on February 8, 2018
Have you driven on the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat >

Latest Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat Reviews

Given 53% while driving a BMW Z4 (255/30 R19) on mostly country roads for 3,000 average miles
These were fitted to my unmodified 2015 BMW E89 Z4 SDRIVE 20i M SPORT ROADSTER when I bought it 6 months ago, the test drive very nearly put me off as the ride was so harsh, but convinced myself the car was ideal otherwise. Having now driven a few 000's of miles on most UK road surfaces I can honestly say I find the ride comfort to be pretty dreadful in most conditions - although ok on well prepared roads and it rides gentle undulations well, the car crashes on all blemishes in the road surface. Makes driving most A & B roads impossible to enjoy, as attention is focused on just avoiding problems. Crashy, harsh, unforgiving, tramlining. Granted the combination of M suspension (not active), 19" wheels and RFT tyres is hardly ideal, but will certainly be soon changing these tyres for something more forgiving, possibly non-RFT. May also invest in changing to 18" rims at the same time, if budget allows.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on June 8, 2022
Given 90% while driving a BMW 3 series (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 990 spirited miles
BMW E91 Touring 07, with a 3.0 liter 6 cylinder engine P. baged as 325i with 258 bhp. I have a pair of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat on the rear. Lincolnshire roads around Louth are rough as they come, farmers trackers & HGV damages.So tyres get a pounding. I agree about feeling like crashing over bumps, however, they do not let go on bends when I pitch the car as fast around bends from when I used ride my motorcycle around into bends. So not shamble at all. Much better than continents that are recommended which would have worn more than the Bridgtones have. I have used Bridgtones before & they were the first to the market with carbon black in the silicone.So, good grip to the end of the tyre.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 84% while driving a BMW 118d (205/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 22,000 spirited miles
Now on my third set of these tyres. The car came with these and they have been brilliant so I have decided to stay with them. I don't run the car in winter and I have only once driven the car on these tyres in the snow, I wouldn't recommend it. But a great tyre for the rest of the year. Reading other reviews these tyres appear to be too harsh on low profile tyres and can crack rims, however on 50's they seem fine and I have never experienced this problem.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on March 12, 2022
Given 23% while driving a BMW 1 series (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Terrible! Same as previously seen review - trying to kill me? Soo relieved when I changed them - all problems solved. Only good for scrap!
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2021
BMW 330d M Sport (255/30 R19) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
Incredibly harsh bone-shaking ride on typical UK roads. OK on smooth roads in the dry. Dreadful grip on wet roads but gradual and predictable breakaway. You can have a lot of 'fun' at very low speeds. I've had two of these tyres literally explode this year - and one cracked wheel. Unfortunately, as they seem to last forever, I haven't tried any alternative yet...
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on October 19, 2021
Given 36% while driving a BMW M550i (245/35 R20) on mostly town for 0 average miles
One strip from the tire ripped off and tore my brake line. I lost all brake function on the freeway. I would NOT buy these tires again. Tire had 25k miles on it.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on August 30, 2021
Given 24% while driving a BMW Z4 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 57 easy going miles
Turn a good car into a pig. Hard, noisy and unsettled by bumps, undulations, objects, in fact anything you are likely to find on a road. A sports car has firm suspension, in connection with these, you need to have a running order with your dentist to have your fillings tightened.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on August 18, 2020
Given 54% while driving a BMW Z4 (225/45 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 25,000 spirited miles
These tires came factory fitted on my E89 Z4. The tires didn't excel in any condition. The tires were above average in terms of dry and wet grip. They were very uncomfortable (even compared to other runflat tires) and not so good at road feedback. Wear wasn't bad, but could be better. Overall I was quite disapointed by the tires.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on April 9, 2020
Given 31% while driving a BMW 520d M Sport (245/45 R18) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
On a 2016 520d M sport with 275/40/18 on rear.

Absolutely dreadful tyres.

I agree with all other reviews.

Extremely hard ride, tram lining constantly, barely any grip.

Worst tyres I’ve driven on.

Do not waste your money, get some Pirelli/Michelin/Goodyear. I’ve had a much better experience with them and they last a decent amount of distance.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2019
Given 30% while driving a BMW 135i (235/30 R17 R) on a combination of roads for 12,000 easy going miles
I got Re050s only on the rear of my BMW 135i as they were the only Runflat tyres available.
Despite always being properly inflated and driven quietly they were harsh and have only lasted 18 months and around 20,000 km before failing a vehicle check. Very disappointing.
I’m replacing them with the OEM Dunlops.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2019
Given 30% while driving a BMW Z4 (255/30 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Absolutely terrible ride comfort. These tyres are so stiff they may as well be made from plastic.I've seen rear wheels cracking due to the stiff sidewall these have. I felt like selling my Z4 due to these awful tyres. No idea why BMW thought these would be a good tyre to go for.

I recently purchased some Goodyears (non-RFT) and the car is now transformed. Less road noise, more grip, less tramlining, more steering feedback which loads up nicely and a more comfortable ride. The car feels like a proper roadster now - great drip (especially in the wet) and the feedback I get is out of this world. Love my car now!

If you're thinking of moving away from Bridgestone run-flats, do it!
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on June 23, 2019
Given 31% while driving a BMW 335i (225/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
These tyres are simply awful. Grip is fair to good in most conditions but that is all I can say that is good about them. Ride is rock hard, it like having no suspension. They cause massive kickback through the steering whilst hitting bumps. I have also had three of the four tyres split between the tyrewall and tread area, despite being only a few months old and never been run flat or underinflated. Did I also mention than they are very expensive? I have since removed them and fitted regular non runflats, ride and handling is now miles better and they were much cheaper. I now carry a tin of tyre foam and a pump in the car for emergencies. Fitting non runflats also helps prevent wheels cracking, as with a runflat there is nothing to cushion the wheel from the bumps as they are so stiff. Not sure how Bridgestone got away with selling these...
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on March 17, 2019