Dunlop Winter Sport 5 Reviews - Page 3

Given 100% while driving a BMW 330xi (225/40 R18) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
I fitted 4 tyres on my car 2 days ago and I'm very impressed! The temperature now in Varna, Bulgaria is between -5 and 0 deg. C and I have lots of grip in any condition - Dry, Wet, Snow, even on ice they stopped the car in 2-3 TIMES shorter distance comparing the Lassa Snoways Era, that I hade till now. I can't compare them with other UHP tyres, as I have no experiense with the present models of any other top-brand, but I'm absolutely happy with the choise I made! I strongly recommend them to anybody driving spirited in any conditions.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on January 21, 2017
Given 81% while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 24,000 spirited miles
I bought these as the successor to Dunlop WinterSport4 which I had been very happy with before, especially with wet grip and good feel in wet/poor conditions. Living and driving around Scotland I use the WinterSport as an all-season tyre. The 5's have improved in all areas and especially in dry handling which was a slight letdown with the 4's. Performance now tails off above around 12 degrees ambient, compared to around 7 degrees with the 4's. At high speed in summer the tyres can get a little 'floaty', but for me this is an acceptable compromise to the excellent grip in cold wet conditions. Sidewalls also seem stronger as the 4's were prone to nicks. Wear is similar if not a little better; got around 22/23K from the 4's when on all year and around 24K for the 5's. All in all a great winter tyre with acceptable all-year round performance for those of us in more Northern areas.
Helpful 64 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016
Given 66% while driving a Volkswagen MkVI Golf GT TDi (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 15,000 spirited miles
Not a bad tyre, but i am a little dissapointed with them, becouse sidewalls are just too soft when temperature outside gets above 5 degrese celsius, and the ride becomes unstable in corners, car is allover the place... This is only minus i found after 25.000km with this tyres, but its big enough minus that i wont buy them again. They will last over 50.000km i think.
Helpful 22 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2016
Want your tyres to save you money on petrol? Click here!
Given 89% while driving a BMW 335i (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Great tyre. Last winter had dunlop winter sport 4d, and these are even better.
Very good winter tyre.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on February 21, 2016
Given 93% while driving a SEAT Toledo (215/60 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
The grip these tyres have on ice is really astonishing. I did not expect that, switching from old Michelin Alpin that I used in previous winters. The first snow test I had with them was on a 80 km mountain course, with slopes and tight turns, on a 5 to 10 cm layer of snow. I never had the impression that I am about to get stuck or loose control. They felt excellent in both snow and slush. They are less noisier than the old ones, making not much of a difference from summer tyres. I'll stick with Dunlop from now on without any fear. I don't expect them to last more than 50000 km, but they seem firmer than the summer BluResponse which wore down to almost half from spring to winter.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on January 19, 2016
Given 75% while driving a Volkswagen Golf (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 2,000 average miles
Driven 2k miles , most of this in dry. But now here are rainy and snowy days, and for now this tyres are great. And when the temperature goes down the tyre gets better and better .
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on November 23, 2015
Given 85% while driving a Jaguar X Type Estate 2.0D (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Recently bought these to replace some worn out Falken Eurowinter 439, these were ok, but felt more like an all season than a winter tyre.

So first impressions of the Dunlops, I did a few hundred gentle miles to get them scrubbed in so they are now ready for action. It's only just started getting cold and they are noticeably getting better the colder it gets (like all winter tyres)

The warmish October and November haven't given me any concerns, they work just fine. Only done about 2000 miles so far so no discernible wear.

They are fairly noisy (the Falkens were very quiet)and sound like a landrover with military tyres fitted. At around 60-70 mph they hum like a shot wheel bearing. No biggie though, I just turn the radio up!

I will report back after some more extensive usage when the Daily Fail 'worst winter in 50 years' hits us
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2015
Given 90% while driving a Jaguar X Type 2.5 AWD SPORT (205/55 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
Had the dunlop winter sport 4d last year and were great! Changed car so changed tyres, the car was on pirelli p6000 summer tyres, put the winter sport 5 on and the car is tranformed, better ride, more grip and is so much better to drive although there is slightly less feedback but probably due to size difference. Driven on black ice/ frosty roads and was like tarmac, no slipping or spinning. Heavy water and floods didn't feel any aqua planing unlike the pirellis. Basically an all round excellent tyre and if they're like the predecessor they will be excellent in snow!
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2015
Given 97% while driving a BMW 320D (205/60 R16) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Bought these tyre brand new, there wasn't much out there interms of reviews etc for these when I bought them (Nov 2015).

Tyres them selves are very good looking. Driving on them in both dry and wet seems very good. I have excellent confidence in the tyres in all conditions. So far though I have not had a chance to try them in their element of very cold weather, so snow and ice performance I cannot comment on. That being said I'm glad I have bought them after some scary moments on summer tyres in my F30 last year in snow/ice I feel much safer going into winter on these tyres.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on November 5, 2015