Dunlop Winter Sport 5 Reviews - Page 2

Given 89% while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDI (215/55 R17 W) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
Exellent on dry road, on the wet sometimes slipping during acceleration.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2019
Given 97% while driving a Chevrolet 2012 Cruze (225/45 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Its perfect winter tire overall. Bit soft walls when temperature is above 10C there for 9 for handling but when under, then is almost perfect. Grip on snow/ice is amazing very similar to Conti 850 I use to have, but Conti is good for max two seasons or 10.000 miles after that is meah. We will see how dunlop ws5 perform after while.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2018
Given 57% while driving a Volkswagen GTi Mk6 (205/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 4,000 average miles
Bought a set of 4 winter Dunlop's in 2017, mounted them on MK6 golf. First impressions were OK, low Tyre noise, good grip in wet and dry. Comfortable if they would not have a huge issue. After a few miles on highway, I noticed that there are some vibrations cumming through steering wheel at higher speeds. I suspected the wheels (bought them used) and change them for new ones, but problem remained. Went back to dealer who made measurements on machine and reported that two of them (tyres) had defects in tread pattern (humps of some sort), two were suppose to be OK. Waited for a few months to get the replacement approved (actually it was already spring). When we mounted two new ones on, it was noticeably better, but still not OK. At later time we noticed that also one of the old two, that suppose to be OK, needed a lot of weights when balancing it (despite rotating it on wheel itself) and the steering wheel still vibrated when accelerating or at higher speed (not happening on summer set). I gave up and get rid of them, never buying "premium" Dunlop again!
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on December 8, 2018
Want your tyres to save you money on petrol? Click here!
Given 73% while driving a Subaru forester 2.5xt (215/65 R16) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
I put these tyres on my Subaru Forester XT just before the first snow storm of the winter. It hit pretty hard wit a lot of ice and very very slippery snow, quite deep at some places. I drive through one of the hardest mountain passes where i live almost on a weekly basis and a good tyre is crucial. The Dunlop WinterSport 5 preformed much better than i expected initially in acceleration, corner grip and braking in dry and uncleaned snow. We had some heavy rain since and the tyre preformed very well in the wet as well. Very little aqua planning in some big puddles but all well controlled. In short - The tyre is predictable with high levels of grip. I dunno about noise - i drive a subaru - everything is noisy on a subaru.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on December 5, 2018
Given 86% while driving a BMW 330xi (225/45 R17 H) on mostly country roads for 20,000 spirited miles
I bought these tyres in www.jaunasriepas.lv web store 2 years ago, very satisfied! Excellent grip in winter conditions, also these tyres are goo enough on ice. Good wear.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2018
Given 100% while driving a BMW 530D (225/45 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
Excelent tyres
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on May 12, 2018
Volkswagen Golf MK6 1.6 tdi (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 4,000 easy going miles
Amazing on snow ! Feel like tyre catching snow ! Went everywhere. 30 cm
Of snow. Any hills no problem. Will drive for 2 more winters. Brand new had 9mm in November. After 4 months It have 7mm
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on March 10, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 600 average miles
Bought for Peugeot 308 and these was put to the test Feb-March 2018 in Buxton where we had loads of snow with roads shut, these tyres performed brilliantly in the snow /ice, drove up steep hills with at least 6” of snow and even pulled the car through 12” of snow, The car was actually bottoming out in the snow and still the tyres did the job. Excellent snow tyres worth the price however I comment on the wear of the tyre because I only bought them in November 2017. Although these are excellent winter tyres I’m an experienced driver in snow whic helps too so don’t just rely on tyres.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on March 2, 2018
Given 87% while driving a Hyundai Accent MC (195/55 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Bought these tyres because my previous Debica Frigo2 were almost done. I changed my tyres size also, from 185/65/R14 with 5J iron wheels to 195/55/R15 on alloy with 6.5J and ET35. That is, wider wheels, better tyre stretch, wider mount bearing. So, first impression (comparing with the Debicas, also): they almost feel like a summer tyre on dry and wet, which is great! Very good grip. Steering is lighter overall, and the sidewalls are softer, so they are flexing a little bit more, but we are talking about a non XL winter tyre. I am very pleased about their behaviour. They insipre confidence. At a whole other level than those Frigo2 tyres. Obviously, the colder it gets, the harder the sidewalls feel, which I like, but not a major difference. The tyres are balanced.
Also, on snow, they do their job well. I can throw my car in deeper snow, bearing in mind that I'm running on sport springs, lowered stance. I can decently make my way and invent new parking spaces, so they dig well into snow. I would buy them again because of the good performance on dry and wet. In snow, most of the winter tyres are alright, even my ex Debicas were pretty nice. Can't say anything about the wear, yet. Safe roads!
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on February 27, 2018
Given 87% while driving a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 (225/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
These are great tyres, end of. I've had my Yeti since new -nearly 6 years now & I'd never run a 4 wheel drive car before or used winter tyres. In that time I've run Vredestein Wintrac Extremes initially, then Pirelli Sottozero 3s & now the Dunlop Wintersport 5s. Although the Vredersteins were great & really opened my eyes to the abilities of decent winter tyres, the Pirellis were an improvement, but not by as much as the difference between the Pirellis & the Dunlops. The snow, & in particular ice performance advantage of these Wintersport 5s is really noticable. My car is over 200hp & has 430nm torque but traction is never a problem & it has the same brakes as a Golf GTi with all Brembo hardware fitted, yet even in really bad conditions these tyres just grip. Slight, very slow speed understeer in snow is their only tiny flaw, but disappears as speed increases. A recent early morning commute in a complete white out before any tyre tracks in the snow revealed the same level of grip as a wet road, amazing. I don't normally buy the same tyres again as I always try to replace them in sets of 4 & as time moves on, tyre technology advances & so does tyre performance, but these might prove to be an exception. They're very impressive. Wet grip, aquaplane protection, ride comfort & quietness are all right up there. The Pirellis were nearly as good in these conditions, but the economy of the car also seems to have slightly improved & with the significant increase in snow & ice performance, the Dunlops are definitely in a class above.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on December 19, 2017
Given 90% while driving a Volvo XC70 D5 (235/50 R18 V) on mostly country roads for 700 spirited miles
The quality of this tyre (load factor 101) matches that the Conti Winter Contact TS830 P. Driven on Volvo XC70 D5 AWD manual, on A54 (Congleton-Buxton, on ice), A537 and A53 (sludge, wet snow) and A57 Snake Pass (1 1/2" dry snow). I could do 45 mph w/o any slipping and sliding. Road noise is limited. Fuel economy good.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2017
Given 74% while driving a BMW 325d M Sport (225/45 R17 T) on mostly motorways for 8,000 easy going miles
I bought these tires for my BMW e90, I did not had the chance to drive in snow with them but on dry and wet roads they have good grip. The problem is I need to keep them overinflated otherwise the steering response is mushy and too soft . For this reason the comfort is reduced. It seems they hold well and probably will last 30 000 km.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on March 23, 2017