Bridgestone Potenza S001 Reviews - Page 4

Given 63% while driving a BMW 218d Active Tourer (225/40 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 31 average miles
Had these on a 335d Coupe and my current 340i saloon. On the 335d they were great - plenty of grip is all conditions, very resistant to aquaplaning. However, like all RFTs, the ride was firm .Switch to my 340i and, until recently, I'd have said exactly the same. However, now the front tyres have worn down to ~3mm, there is an alarming tendency to understeer. If you buy these tyres, don't expect to run them down to the anywhere close to the 1.6mm legal minimum.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 30, 2018
Given 40% while driving a Skoda Octavia estate (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 21 easy going miles
I would never have these tires on a car again even if factory fitted, 3.8 mil tread depth center, all tires worn out on o/s edges
There are no tracking issues! done 21,150 miles of easy driving.
Wet surface on incline from stand still wheel spin "very little power to the wheels"
Better grip in the dry, Very bad road noise and it's like riding on brick tires, heavy steering.

Would not recommend at all.

Changed to Fulda Sportcontrol 2 100% better in all departments
3 - tyre reviewed on April 21, 2018
Given 77% while driving a Mazda MX5 2.0 SE (ND 2015 onwards) (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
Very grippy until the end of there lifes. Mostly on mountain roads
7 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2018
Given 46% while driving a Volkswagen mk7 Golf GTD (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 12,000 average miles
Because the state of the roads in this country these Bridgestone s001 are useless.. brand new car 2016 and the tyres are delaminating , with plenty of tread left,, I've not taken this car up to 100 MPH. SO ITS NOT THE SPEED THAT DONE THESE TYRES IN. The front don't grip the road if pulling away to quick.. These tyres DONT suit the golf front wheel drive,, and very bumpy on the road ..Noise level not to bad being low profiles..
8 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2018
Given 63% while driving a Volkswagen polo gti 1.8t (215/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
Good tyre nothing special i do have them on Polo GTI, and BMW. I do check pressure every week but i wouldn't be able to get 30k. I do love driving cars and motorbikes so i do use cars to full potential sometimes.would i buy again probably not. I am not Bridgestone guy, only because i have better all round tyres, and i do find them a bit stiff, maybe on the smooth road would be a diffrent review but Sydney roads are pretty bad.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2018
Given 73% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX 2006 Hawkeye (235/40 R18) on mostly town for 0 average miles
The dry grip is excellent aswell as the road feedback and handling. Some people have complained and said that the tyre feels wobbly when turning - However, this is nothing I have felt during my time owning them. The wet grip is also overall good and I have driven in 150km/h when it has been raining like HELL NO, still without problems and with no tendence to aquaplane. The wear rate is a little bit higher, which comes as no suprise for this kind of performance tire. However, if you are considering this tyre, also do consider if you can stand the high noise they will make.
4 - tyre reviewed on March 12, 2018
Given 56% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Due to a cheap price and convenience I decided to fit these Potenzas to the front end of my Megane RS. When i got into the car a few things were immediate: the noise of the tyre is much louder than what I was previously used to, and often road noise would drown out exhaust noise when not pushing or reving hard :(... these tyres felt stiffer than the Michelin PSS i replaced and certainly more crashy around town and over bumps. The MPG i got dropped too indicating perhaps a softer compound and higher wear rate. In terms of performance the dry performance accelerating was OK though not to the PSS standard, the traction when accelerating was prone to disappearing quite quickly when the tyre was in the wet which obviously didn't helping my wear rate... The stiff construction of the tyre helped however when going round corners, in fact the car felt perfectly damped around quicker corners and a real joy to chuck around... I would receive a lot of feedback too when pushing! I just needed to adjust to the slightly lower traction, especially in the wet. I wouldn't buy these tyres again and the main reasons for this are: the noise, wear and comfort. However decent ratings for feedback and dry grip.
2 - tyre reviewed on March 2, 2018
Given 71% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK7 GTI (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 4,600 average miles
Dry grip is pretty good when the temperatures are in the double figures (Celsius) but really do drop considerably in crisp UK autumn and winter weather. This isn't completely unexpected but if you're not running winter tyres then is a big factor. Wet grip pretty good but the tyre does not let go so progressively in the wet. The biggest factor for me is the wear rate. Having done 4500 miles my fronts are 55% worn and the rears 45% worn (swap them around every 2500 miles). I drive fairly conservatively and the first 800 miles were running in so no harsh acceleration or deceleration. At least 1500 miles are motorway miles cruising at 100kph.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 15, 2018
Given 83% while driving a Skoda Octavia vRS (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 36,000 easy going miles
These tyres were standard fitment to our Skoda Octavia VRS MY14 Sedan. We live in Queensland, Australia and have used them in all kinds of travel, commuting, short trips, extended trips (4000 km), towing across a wide range a road surfaces, suburban streets, motorway travel, highway (Australian versions, insert ironic laugh), dirt roads, all wet and dry conditions. In other words they have had a good all round usage. I have found them to be very good at most things. I have never had any safety issues. I am an operational police officer and trained and experienced in high speed pursuit driving. These tyres provide me with much confidence in the wet and dry. I drive mostly conservatively and look after my tyres by adhering to proper tyre rotation and correct tyre pressures. Still I am surprised at the 63,000 km we have achieved. We still have the same brake pads and disks as well which may indicate my driving style. However when I get up it, the car is responsive, tracks well in corners and brakes well. The only sour note would be the loud drone on concrete and some bitumen road surfaces. On other bitumen surfaces it is quite acceptable. I just turn up the Black Sabbath and carry on?? The car will only chirp in first gear with a bit of torque steer but other than that it is good. Recommended and will get a set of BS Adrenaline RE003 as next iteration of excellence hopefully.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2018
Given 71% while driving a Mazda 6 Series (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 13,000 spirited miles
Had these on my Mazda 6 for most of last year. Fitted Jan '17. In storage now as my winter tyres are on the car. They're very grippy and very good steering feel. Unfortunately wear is quite rapid and they're noisy. Gonna try Dunlop SP SportMAXX RT2 next time I replace my winter tyres.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2018
Given 80% while driving a Audi S1 Sportback (225/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 7,500 spirited miles
These tires came with the car and so far have been great in both the dry and the wet. Wear is excellent as I have 5mm on the front and 6mm on the rear after 7500 miles. However, the tire squeals when pushed, which I suspect is due to hard rubber.

I found there isn't much communication from the tire. You're either above or below the limit of grip, with little feedback in between. This makes it hard to drive fast with confidence.

If looking for performance over wear, I'd look for something else. However, if looking for a good balance of wear and performance, I'd argue the S001s are perfect.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 26, 2017
Given 62% while driving a (225/35 R18 W) on track for 2,100 spirited miles
Car is mostly used for spirited weekend drives and track days.Dry grip, cornering feel and feedback were all positive. Gave those a try on the front axle after having Continental Sport Contact 5 which I still prefer. The tyres started to loose grip as heat builds up in an On/Off fasion.
Avoided driving in the wet anything but A-to-B which is fine. Noisiest tyres I've ever had but never was a concern for me, comfortable overall. Wear was an issue, sidewalls ruined after 3500km (~2000miles) and six trackdays in extreme-heat conditions .
The wear actually is on par with other tyres given the conditions but I've had better performing ones in this category.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 11, 2017