Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat

The Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR Run flat.

Tyre review data from 24 tyre reviews averaging 67% over 240,717 miles driven.

The Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat is ranked 53rd of 64 Summer Max Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat Prices

Top 3 Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat Reviews

Given 67% while driving a Mercedes Benz (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 12,000 average miles
I had a set of 225/40R18 CONTI SPORT 5 SSR Runflats on the front of my Mercedes from new - great grip in the wet and dry but terrible mileage!

I work in the tyre industry for a living and although Conti have a great OE share within Europe (30% apparently) their replacement share is one of the lowest out of the Premium brands.
248 - tyre reviewed on August 20, 2013
Given 66% while driving a BMW 328i (225/45 R18 W) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
Was a great tyre on my BMW 328. Grip and handling were amazing. I was not so happy with the wear though. They only gave me 2 years of short distance school runs. My run flat versions are also pretty noisy, and make some scary noises over the bumps. My curb side rims are also pretty scratched up, so any rim protection these tyres are supposed to have are not sufficient.
21 - tyre reviewed on March 29, 2017
Given 90% while driving a BMW 325i M Sport (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
2005 BMW E90 325i originally had Bridgestones, terrible tram lining and very hard ride, changed to Conti SC 3, much better, and the Conti SC 5 are even better, the first run flats I have used that actually feel as if they have some measure of comfort, less rumble and fidgeting over any rough surface. Very pleased, new so cannot comment on wear. Tread depth 7mm measured from new.
15 - tyre reviewed on September 9, 2016
Have you driven on the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat >

Latest Continental Sport Contact 5 SSR Runflat Reviews

Given 63% while driving a BMW 320 d (225/50 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 32,000 average miles
After 40.000km, became noisy and harsh. After 50.000km, a strange noise like “guvguvguv” appeared which made me change them.
4 - tyre reviewed on November 12, 2020
Given 66% while driving a Mercedes Benz c43 (225/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Never been keen on runflats but they were fitted on the car when purchased so went along with them. However 2 x cracked front wheels later I’m not impressed, the ride is so unbelievably hard even with the suspension set to comfort, you will feel every tiny bump. dry grip is great but wet grip isn’t so good I have lost it twice and had to correct oversteer even with 4 wheel drive, in the tyres defence it does have 400hp. Road noise is a little high. They are coming off this week and getting replaced with non runflats. I wouldn’t buy them again.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2020
Given 57% while driving a BMW 218d Active Tourer (245/35 R18) on mostly town for 9,000 easy going miles
I have a BMW 228i convertible, I drive the vehicle in eco mode 90% of the time but i'm only getting less than 10000km on a pair. Uneven wear, I'm very disappointed with the brand.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 11, 2020
Given 70% while driving a Mercedes Benz c43 (225/40 R19) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I keep getting punctures, at least every four months, are these tyres “weak” or am I unlucky. I’ll be interested to read others comments. Before my Merc I had a BMW with run flats and apart the road noise no problems although I used Bridgestone tyres.
9 - tyre reviewed on June 26, 2020
Given 73% while driving a BMW 320 d (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 18,000 average miles
Excellent road feedback, a little harsh on rough roads. The SSR metal ring causes the tyre to 'slam' over potholes. Noticeably less grip in the wet. Quiet enough but can hear road noise.
10 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2020
Given 69% while driving a BMW 320i (225/45 R18 W) on for 20,000 miles
I had these Conti Sport contact 5 fitted from New on 18 inch rims when I upgraded from thr stock 205/60 r16 tyres and rims my BMW F30 320i came out with. They had very good dry grip and even the occasional "hooligan" antics didn't produce any scary or unpredictable behavior. (even though the car had only 135kw and 270nm) They were comfortable on motor way or by road speeds. They were the SSR versions so ride comfort was never comparable to regular tyres. I had the occasional heavy rain stirm that's so common in Johannesburg South Africa. They handled standing water well and I never felt aquaplaning. Very smooth tarmac could produce a slight slip or slide that thr traction control caught out. But regaulr road surfaces never caused a slide. The only negative was wear rate. The rear tyres were half worn by 10000km. The fronts about a quarter worn. I roared at 10000km to place the worn CSC5s on thr front axle of the Beemer. They wear a lot but they area a soft sporty Tyre that's not marketed for longevity. I also wished that had a better rim protector as I accidentally scuffed or curbed the rims on thr offside more than a few times. I even experienced a 6 inch nail penetrate the rear left Tyre at about110kph and it lost pressure but I continued to drive at about 90kph for about 100km until I cold get it patched or plugged. I love the grip these SC5s gave but they wore out too fast on a moderately powerful 320i F30 BMW. They also had good water clearing ability and predictable behavior. Good steering response
0 - tyre reviewed on May 12, 2020
BMW (255/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 15,000 spirited miles
Changed the tyres on my BMW 428I M sport from Bridgestone Potenza which were a very hard & noisy tyres to Continental Sport and the improvement in the handling and road noise has been dramatic.
The Conti Sport 5 tyres are very predictable when pushed hard and offer just the right amount of road feeling through the steering. I have covered nearly 15k miles since they were fitted and I have less than 2mm of tread wear on all 4 tyres.
The only issue I have with these tyres is the aqua plaining when driving in the wet, compared to the Pirelli PZero's I had fitted on my previous vehicle which were excellent in the wet.Seriously considering Michelin Pilot's next time I change my tyres.
6 - tyre reviewed on October 17, 2019
Given 53% while driving a BMW 125D (245/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 6,000 average miles
These are very good for a runflat tyre, good dry and wet road holding and progressive break away, these just wear far far to fast I got no less than 6k miles from them and that’s Mainly my wife driving to shops and doing short runs! Will be paying bit more for the Michelin PS3 ZP next time for better wet performance and far more longevity.
10 - tyre reviewed on February 17, 2019
Given 73% while driving a BMW 320D M Sport (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 34,000 easy going miles
I've never driven a BMW or any car with runflat tyres before, so much of this is guesswork.
The Continentals grip extremely well in the dry, no doubt about that and I never came close to the limit.
They also generally grip well in the wet, although I did have one problem where the car aquaplaned on a bend that I know well and wouldn't normally have expected it to happen.
Although I drive mostly motorway speeds, I've found tyre wear to be very good. I'm looking for replacements as one front tyre is on the limit at 34000 miles. I'd guess the rears (same tyres, but 255/40) are good for another 10k.
The big downside of these is the road noise. I find them very noisy, but how they compare to other runflats, I couldn't say.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2019
Mercedes Benz (225/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 12,500 average miles
These came with the car new, and now at 20k (km), it is about 1.5mm or there about from the tread wear indicator - it's a bit of a surprise, i was expecting these the last to at least 35k. That is why i'm venturing here to research for the replacement.

Frankly i don't mind run flats at all. My previous car was a bmw 1 series, and with that car, each set of tyres last to 40k. Apart from its durability, I don't mind these tyres at all.
12 - tyre reviewed on August 19, 2018
Given 64% while driving a BMW 335d (225/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 8,000 average miles
Great tyres, as long as your a millionaire and can replace them every few thousand miles, have them fitted on my BMW 335D and brand new these tyres are only 6.8mm tread! disgraceful!, they come as standard on BMW's so its a nice little deal there from conti and BMW, all they need to do is renew once at £200 corner and continental have made a huge mark up, it's a disgrace how tyre manufacturers are allowed to sell tyres brand new with such pitful tyre tread depth and mileage life
9 - tyre reviewed on June 24, 2018
Given 76% while driving a Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (245/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
I got 12.5k out of the rear tyres fitted from the factory. Front tyres are over half way worn but still some left. Combination of comfort and sport mode, town and motorway driving. Great tyres but I wish they lasted longer cos for my wide wheels they cost a bomb! If I mash the throttle on a corner in the wet the back will step out but in the dry I cant get them to let go at all with 205bhp RWD - Mercedes C250 AMG Line.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 30, 2018