Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS

The Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS is a Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 11 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 56,300 miles driven.

The MP 59 Nordicca MS is ranked 22nd of 87 Winter Touring tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Have you driven on the Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS >

Latest Matador MP 59 Nordicca MS Reviews

Given 86% while driving a Fiat Bravo (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 15,000 easy going miles
very good tyres exellent in snow and gold weather caution in much water to aquaplaning
1 - tyre reviewed on January 2, 2015
Given 90% while driving a Vauxhall Vectra SRI 1.9 (150) (225/45 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
My driving style is very progressive as I like to test tyres to see what their limits are in all conditions. I've been through all brands of summer tyres on my 220 bhp st220 and vectra 150sri but this was my first set of winter tyres. I went from 215/50/17w in the summer to 225/45/17H.
Bought Them on 15 dec 2012 when it was 5 degrees only for it to go to 12 degrees the next day and for the following week! However this gave me a chance to get them scrubbed in and test them in slight warmer conditions......Review as follows
At 12 degrees I drove them on a 800 mile round trip from the north east to wiltshire. Dry grip was really good and they were comfortable, similar to Barum bravuris2. Yes they are a softer compound but if you raise your tyre psi a little in warmer conditions it limits any movement in the softer sidewall/compound. I know some have commented on the wet grip not being up to scratch but let me explain the characteristics of the tyre with respect to this....if it was raining or roads were damp I pushed them hard accelerating on roundabouts, and although they don't inspire 100% confidence like premium brands in the wet such as Michelin ps2/3 or Goodyear assym 2 , they have never let go or felt even remotely dangerous an I would put them at 95%... I drove in torrential rain for several hours and they were great. The only time they twitched was when they aquaplaned slightly going through a 10ft long, 3 inch deep puddle at 60mph, but I don't know many tyres that wouldnt twitch slightly in similar circumstances....
7 degrees and below.... The tyre performance improves the colder it gets. When it got down to 0-3 degrees they felt similar to my summer tyres with regards to comfort... Below 0 and again performed great..... We've now had 5 days of snow and ice so I've had the chance to test them properly down to -7. In soft snow or snow on ice they've been great.... I've headed for every snow covered hill in sight including one at a 50 degree angle covered in ice with 3 inches of fresh snow... Went up and turned no problem in 2nd gear with only slight movement when turning after I applied a few too many revs....obviously you still can't drive like an idiot in snow but u can trust them as long as your are sensible... Don't think you would get stuck in snow at any time.... In slush or wet snow they are not the greatest when turning as they slide slightly , but they soon regain traction... In straight lines it's no problem......I would put this down to the tread pattern as there is no continuous block in the rubber which would help prevent the side movement...
In summary they are a decent tyre... Looking at reviews of other winter tyres i would imagine they are a slightly cheaper version of the continental winter contact ts830p, about 30 quid cheaper per tyre fitted...

0 - tyre reviewed on January 19, 2013
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 80% while driving a Fiat doblo (185/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
I had a set of these put on our Doblo Cargo a few weeks ago in anticipation of the cold, and possibly white, winter ahead. Although they've only done around 500 miles so far, they seem to be very good. Temperatures haven't really got above 5 or 6 deg, and some mornings have been icy - initially (first 100 miles or so) the tyres felt a bit 'squirmy' and I felt a distinct tendency towards oversteeer, but they've either 'settled' now, or I'm used to the feeling! I've driven through standing water at reasonable speeds, and not noticed any aquaplaning, and on wet roads the tyres offer good grip and show no scary traits when cornering - bear in mind that though the Doblo's not driven flat out, and its in no way a performance vehicle, so these observations are relative to that style of driving! They cost me just under £50 a corner, so quite a saving on 'premium' brands for something that, to me at least, offers just what I was looking for (so far!) in a winter tyre. I'll report back if it snows!
0 - tyre reviewed on December 3, 2012
Given 87% while driving a Renault megane cc (205/50 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Have run these tyres in the worst of last years winter in colchester! on wet or dry roads they were great, on the ice and compacted snow they were truly awesome. I was the only car running and making 4x4's look pathetic, climbed a 1 in 5 hill, stopped at the top and pulled away without a hint of a slip or skid. The tyre comes with a really thick rim protector which has saved my alloys on more than one occasion. well worth the money.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2012
Given 77% while driving a Skoda Octavia (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 4,500 average miles
Excellent winter tyre(you don't get stucked), but you must be carefull on wet surfaces.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 17, 2011
Given 83% while driving a Volkswagen Sharan 1.9TDi (195/65 R15 H) on mostly country roads for 3,000 average miles
Brilliant. £240 set me up for winter driving in a VW Sharan. (Good ground clearance helped in the deep snow (15cm)). I can totally recomment these. During the recent snow in December 2010 I kept moving when the only other vehicles were 4X4. I even managed when it the snow became sheet ice and no other ordinary car could go... Seriously, there were at least 12 occasions when other cars failed to get up a hill and I just passed them... even a FreeLander and a Volvo Cross Country. Bring on the snow!
0 - tyre reviewed on February 12, 2011
Given 80% while driving a Skoda Octavia (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 3,300 average miles
Great handling on dry surface, fuel economy, and very good traction on snow and ice. You must be carefull on wet surfaces (0.8 mm of water at 74 km/h...acvaplaning)
0 - tyre reviewed on January 13, 2011
Given 89% while driving a Saab Automobile vector sport (225/45 R17 V) on mostly town for 2,000 easy going miles
Excellent winter tyre, highly recommended for use in the Arctic North East of England.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 21, 2010