Nankang AR 1

The Nankang AR 1 is a Trackday and Competition Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 24 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 53,791 miles driven.

The AR 1 is ranked 11th of 25 Summer Trackday and Competition tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Nankang AR 1
265/35 R20 99Y XL   F E 74
265/35 R20 99Y XL   E E 73
285/35 R20 104Y XL   E E 74

Questions and Answers for the Nankang AR 1

2019-09-27 - It would be great to have a big review on track tyres with this tyre + all other semi slicks/track tyres like the Michelin PS Cup 2, Toyo R888, Federals and so on!

Definitely working on it!

Top 3 Nankang AR 1 Reviews

Given 73% while driving a BMW M3 (265/35 R18) on track for 150 spirited miles
I got a set of four 265/35/18 tyres for track use and first got a chance to test them last week at Bedford on the GT Circuit. It was my first time on track tyres and since my last track day, I'd also got HSD Monopro coilovers, with professional geometry, corner weighting, and a full alignment.

To say that the new setup made a difference would be the understatement of the century. I'm glad I have bucket seats, as otherwise I'd have fallen off my seat round every corner. The tyres felt predictable, gave good feedback, and were quite progressive on the limit. While learning the circuit and getting the feel for the limit, I went sideways quite a lot, and it was FUN! However, I didn't but these to go sideways, obviously, I wanted to be fast. During the whole track day, the only car to pass me was another e46 M3, which was fully track prepped, stripped to the shell with a cage, Nitron coilvers, BBK, and Toyo R888R tyres. He was 3 seconds a lap quicker than my 2min : 52sec best.

I'll definitely buy these again when the time comes.
91 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2016
Given 50% while driving a Lotus Elan S2 (225/60 R13) on a combination of roads for 240 spirited miles
Sidewalls are sponge, inaccurate tactile grip sensing due to excessive sidewall flex at any pressures.
49 - tyre reviewed on May 18, 2019
Given 34% while driving a Toyota GT86 (265/35 R18 W) on track for 200 spirited miles
Very surprised to see so many positive reviews. I mean, yeah it's cheap, so I understand the good rating, considering the aspect of bang for buck. But some reviews stated it's a superb tire in absolute terms. IMHO, it isn't. It's a cheap and slow tire, not a cheap and A050 fast tire.

I've never managed to get a close time to A050 GS with this tire. It's not even in the same league, since it was always slower A052 by a good margin. It's more like a RE-71R class tire in terms of lap time on proper tracks, and it's not even one of the fast tire in that group too (it's one of the slow one)! So you can't really expect to get some lap times of proper semi slicks (like A050, 03g). Also, this tire is very heavy in all sizes (which may explain why it's so slow). There are only two good things about this tire in absolute term I can think of, which are its price and sidewall strength.

These are very cheap in Japan (less than half of RE-71R or less than 1/3 of A052), so it makes sense in Japan (or anywhere else with that big difference in the price tag). However, in some countries, AR-1 is priced pretty close to RE-71R or ZIII (or slightly pricier than R-S4). In that case, I think the tire makes no sense to buy these tire, since it effectively becomes a slower AND more expensive AND shorter life tire. If it's dirt cheap, adjust your expectation and you'll be fine.
33 - tyre reviewed on February 7, 2019
Have you driven on the Nankang AR 1 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nankang AR 1? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nankang AR 1 >

Latest Nankang AR 1 Reviews

Renault (225/45 R17) on track for 0 spirited miles
We run a proffesional motorsport team in terms of how it operated and amatuer in terms of the FIA motorsport coffee drinking, price increasing stamp duty dudes. Our car is Renault Twingo R2 EVO homalated fromt RS133 Apart from the shell of cup there is not much cariierd over from the cup rs133. The dry weight is 650 kg but ballasted to 1250 for FIA event @ 205 HP @ 2WD Front. We have spent alot of time on tyres and suspension and we very inpressed with these tyres and that of the Toyo R888R. The Nankings A1 do have the edge on the track where as Toyo R888R have the edge on the country roads We run a full coil over Ohlins kit weighted and balanced. The A1 are perfect for track days and offer a super glue grip but they need a bit of suspension set up and fixed suspension systems will not release the full potential of the the tyre. A perfect track for testing a car setup is Cadwell Park. In regards to price they are well priced for what they offer We do pre heat them to what we feel is best on the day and tyre pressure is critical for these tyres. In regards to comment of they cheap tyres, well when your using 2 or 3 sets a weekend it can be costly tyre. If your really chasing points and seconds then these would be ok but you would be better of with the Perrelli RK5 tyre compound. As I tell my kids who drive the R2- As driver we can set it up the best we can but you have to learn to drive it into its limits. Feed back from the tyres are good unlike the scary R888R that seem to stick like glue but then let go in rapido mode.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2021
Given 92% while driving a Honda FK2 type r (235/35 R19) on track for 0 spirited miles
Ecxcellent grip on dry weather
7 - tyre reviewed on July 16, 2020
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 78% while driving a Porsche 987 Boxster S (275/35 R18) on track for 0 spirited miles
Been tracking a 944 and a Boxster for years. Both cars highly modified for track work. I just want to have fun and buy whatever r-comps or similar that are on sale. Had sets of re71r’s, Toyota r888r’s, nitto nt01’s. Then saw nangang ar1s on sale. Wow!, as much or more grip as all the above and unlike a review above, I Did not find the tires going any greasier earlier than the others. If you overdrive your car, a specially if it’s heavy, ALL tires will get greasy. And I got more track sessions out of AR1 than any of the above, except Maby the nitto’s. Super tire
3 - tyre reviewed on July 1, 2020
Given 90% while driving a BMW 328i Coupe (235/40 R17) on for 3,000 miles
I bought this tires set for my E36 328i and mainly used this tires on track, sometimes daily commute to work if I feel lucky ;) So far, this tires is simple excellent on the track. Great feedback, turn in sharp. It will tell you once it is at its limit. Even if you slightly oversteer, it will grip back as long as you have are sensitive on gas pedal. I managed to cut down 3 seconds from 47s to 44s on one of the local track and around 5s from 1.31s to 1.26s on another local track (worth to mention that also my previous tires is just summer performance tires RE003 - but it is still a really good one). Once it is at the right temperature, it grips like shit on toilet. One more thing I really like from this tires is that it only take 1 2 turns to warm up, so you can go pretty much all in right from the beginning. My car is 1300kg so normally I start at 28 psi cold and usually ends up at around 34-35 psi.

Daily drive, it is super noisy. But it is semi-slick so you can't complain much about it. Tires make the whole car feels heavy - yes this tires is super heavy.

Also, I like the tread pattern design.
10 - tyre reviewed on November 29, 2019
Given 57% while driving a BMW M3 (295/30 R18) on track for 1,000 miles
Like others said in other reviews
I ve used 3sets of Nankang AR1 brefore i write this review on F80 M3 with 490RWHP set up.
My sizes were 265 35 18 front and 295 30 18 rear.
The only problem with AR1 is that it starts to get heat soaked pretty quick for a semi slick tire. You will have to cool down after a consecutive attack, if not it has tendency to become very greasy.

It doesnt last that long obviously but It does provide more grip than most of Extreme summer tires.

If you are limited on tire expense,i would go with something that lasts a little longer.
However if you are not limited, AR1 will provide more DRY grip for a limited time.

Break away characteristic is adequate. I would say it is on the liniar progressive side.

7 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2019
Given 76% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX STI (225/45 R17) on track for 200 miles
Very strong grip, one of the best semi-slick tire on the market I ‘ve tried (dry road)
Take one turn to warm it
Use at 29 psi hot tire pressure
I recommend it for sure and I will buy it again

Didn’t try on the wet but I won’t recommend
5 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2019
Given 70% while driving a Datsun 180B (225/45 R17) on for 5 average miles
Loved these tyres on the dry racetrack. Grip, wear and speed were good. But...It started to shower for a short time, as I rolled out for the last race. After four 180-360 degree violent spin-outs mid-corner during 3 laps, I retired vowing not to do that again. Only going 3/4 speed and with absolutely no warning. Talked to my retailer next day about the weird tread pattern which seems to push water towards the centre of one front tyre. Tyres are identical with "outside " written on one side... which causes one tread to be opposite of the other ie the "V" pointing backwards on one of them. He too was befuddled. The Nankang rep just said to us what I knew already... "they are good in the dry... and not so good in the wet" sigh
6 - tyre reviewed on August 15, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Suzuki swift sport (225/45 R17) on track for 200 spirited miles
I thing that these tires are the best semi for dry tarmac. The fastest tire for someone who wants to use these in small wheels. I use 15'' wheels.
2 - tyre reviewed on April 4, 2019
Given 71% while driving a Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster (205/45 R15) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Great track tyre, great value for money, on the same class as R888 and R888R by Toyo. Not especially good in wet roads, of course not recommended for a daily driver due to noise, stiffness, warm up times etc. A great tire for the weekend track car and the occasional mountain road, as long as you warm them up a bit first, then push the car. I tried both 195/50/15 and 205/45/15 and i can recommend the latter, as they basically are a 215 width tire, branded as a 205. Can achieve the same lap times for 5-10 fast laps, then they need cooldown. Tread is very few mm, will wear down very fast if you hit the track often, but the dry grip stays high even when worn.
8 - tyre reviewed on December 19, 2018
Given 61% while driving a Lotus Elise (235/40 R17) on track for 1,000 spirited miles
I drove the tire in 205/45/16 front and 235/40/17 rear on a Lotus Elise with around 250 hp.
The tire was bought purely for track use, I can not comment on street behaviour.
I drive sessioned events with session between 30 and 45 min driving, 45 min break, session, break etc. In my experience this can be quite demanding for a tire as they can not fully cool down in between and some tires tend to overheat at the end of the day.
On a roadcourse I found this tire to have a relatively short warm up time, even though some people commented otherwise. Normally the tire reached operating temperatures within a few laps and cold grip is as bad as one would expect, which means limited. However, this tire is really good in taking the punishment for the whole day without any overheating issues. It is the first tire that I have in this price range, that last a whole day.

I found the tire to be quite sensitive to pressure changes. The behaviour of the tire can completely change within 0.1 bar pressure. When underinflated the grip is not so much the problem as is very numb feedback about grip levels and heavily decreased steering information. I settled at 1.8 bar front and 2.0 bar rear when hot but I feel this might not be the last conclusion.
When the tire is warm, on right pressure and the road is dry the tire becomes more communicative and provides the high level of grip that one expects from a semi slick. However, this grip in my hands is not so easy to fully exploit, as the communication is so much lower than on a good road tire. For example, the tire was only 2 sec faster than a Yokohama AD 08R on Bilster Berg in my hands. I assume that there is more to have but again, it is not so easy to find the limits in a save way for a hobby driver like me.
When humid the tire is surprisingly good for a semi slick but once it is wet the tire is surpassed by a sporty road tire due to the lack of negative profile. Also, I had a few nasty surprises with the rear coming out quite spontaneous in the wet but at the end of the day this is clearly not a street tire.

Pro:
No overheating even after long sessions of aggressive driving style
High grip for the price
Quick warmup

Con:
Not the most communicative
Sensitive to tyre pressure changes
10 - tyre reviewed on December 10, 2018
Given 90% while driving a Renault Megane RS265 (235/40 R18) on track for 3,000 average miles
Fitted these after 3 sets of R888R.
Daily wise - massive improvement. No noise, definitely not as near as the Toyo's made, comfort pretty much the same but perhaps a bit harsher than the R888R, not something i'll put my mind on.
On Track just outstanding performance. Beats the Toyo's (not in much though) in almost every aspect from dry grip, feedback (almost identical), handling and most important - durability. These refused to fail after an intense day on a very warm tarmac. My RBF600 failed before the tyres lost their grip. After 2 hours of on and off tracking the front tyres have lost nearly 60% of their lives which was a bit disappointing, but due to the hot weather (35c), long straights with hard braking was understandable.

Would buy these again? Well, I've already ordered 2 sets :)
15 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2018
Given 86% while driving a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG (265/35 R18) on track for 250 spirited miles
I run a somewhat modified AMG C63 in a Sprint/Hillclimb series in Western Australia. I have previously used Yokohama A050’s (at $2300 per set), and Hankook TD Z221’s (at $1800 per set). Whilst looking into options to reduce the financial blow when buying tyres, a fellow competitor came across these Nankang AR-1’s. We started asking around to find more information but there was virtually nobody in competition circles that knew anything about them. What we did find out that they are CHEAP for an R spec tyre. So we dove in and bought a set each. Mine were 2 x 235/40 R18 and 2 x 265/35 R18. Purchase price you ask? Just $950 FOR ALL 4! I had my doubts about performance because, as they say, you get what you pay for.
Well, I can report that after many competition rounds that these tyres are simply incredible. I don’t mean incredible based on the price either. These tyres are superb. They heat up quickly, grip comes in within just a few corners, very stable, provide excellent feedback and are proving to have excellent life despite competition level abuse and dozens of heat cycles. Many of my fellow competitors have asked about them and as a result of my always positive feedback, many have switched and are equally as impressed. Several new users have reported PB’s at circuits they know well (as have I). I’m now on my second set and I continue to be just as impressed. These tyres come with a very high recommendation.
27 - tyre reviewed on May 11, 2018