Nankang NS2R

The Nankang NS2R is a Extreme Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 53 tyre reviews averaging 76% over 167,671 miles driven.

The NS2R is ranked 19th of 32 Summer Extreme Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Nankang NS2R

305/30 R20 103Y XL   B E 75
265/35 R20 99Y XL   B E 73
285/35 R20 100Y   B E 74
255/40 R20 101Y XL   E B 73

Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nankang NS2R. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Nankang NS2R Reviews

Given 93% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 5SPD (265/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Super grip, Dry or Wet. I had this tire on my Evo8(700hp) and BMW M4.
Both cars are for daily and track. About 10,000 miles or more.
In short, NS-2R treadwear 120 is almost identical to AD-08. This is not what I feel, data says so. Lateral G; AD-08 1.3G, NS-2R 1.3G. Braking G; AD-08 0.8G, NS-2R 0.8G. Best Lap time also was very identical within 0.1s. Which means its drivebility is about the same too.
This is insane performance when you think of the price tag.
Mileage is also crazy. Almost not understandable. I don't understand why NS-2R goes more than 30~50% more than AD-08. Why doesn't the other tire companies make like Nankang does?
For the money, I'd give the best rating except comfort. But Hey, No sport tires are comfortable.
Helpful 312 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2016
Given 74% while driving a MINI Cooper S (205/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Just a word on these on initial fitting. I had a set put on my spare set of wheels for a track day. They came with the releasing agent still on them and in the damp it was like driving on ice. Once this layer is gone (doesn't take much, a few miles maybe) then they grip really well. BUT - don't assume you can put them on a road car and drive in the wet without scuffing the releasing agent off of them first. Now to the tyres - I ran these on my mini over the winter and other than being a bit lacking grip in frosty conditions early in the morning, they coped fine, even in the wet. Stiff sidewalls and a very 'square' profile, and not the lightest of tyres either but semi-slicks/slicks aren't light anyway due to the stiffer construction. On the track they have been fine so far. 2 track days and 1000 miles or so on the road and I've taken 2mm off the fronts (car is 200bhp roughly). I'm sure with some more spirited track work I would expect them to last another 3-4 track days for me at least.
Helpful 159 - tyre reviewed on April 13, 2021
Given 43% while driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse (255/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
Please read this review! it nearly cost me my car!!!!!

Recently got these on and thought I would try these on the rear instead of my Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas, reviews seemed promising and thought why the hell not!

the car is setup for track and I love AD08R tires and these were ment to be as good for a lower cost! I have had these on for a few hundred miles on the road first to see how they do and to wear them in abit,

dry grip is good but not brilliant, I find it lacks something and jitters around alot and is not quite planted!

wet grip!!! well today showed me how bad they are in the wet!!! i nearly lost the cars back end because the tires felt like it was on ice! NEVER have i had this before EVER!!!!!!!! they are ok in a straight line in the wet but any corners it hates it! i was going just 55 MPG on an off ramp off the Motorway and it was not fun and I had to swerve acros the 2nd land and not hit the barrier! luckly I was able to regain control or it could have been very bad for my car!

for this reason if you want these tires BUY THEM FOR DRY USE ONLY!!!! I would hate to know how they are in the colder months even on track!

back to the Vredesteins I go as they are very good and even handle track events very well
Helpful 61 - tyre reviewed on July 30, 2017
Have you driven on the Nankang NS2R tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nankang NS2R? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nankang NS2R >

Latest Nankang NS2R Reviews

Given 74% while driving a Ford Fiesta ST180 (205/40 R17) on track for 0 spirited miles
There will be better tyres out there without doubt. But as a track-orientated road tyre at a reasonable price these are great and I would definitely buy them again.

The dry grip and handling is good, although the difference from more traditional road-orientated tread patterned tyres wasn't as much as I expected. For example, comparing them to the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, if I'm fairly near the limit on the F1A3 with plenty of tyre squeal, on the NS2R I can match lap times with little or no squeal - it's still toward the upper end of their limits but with just a bit more margin.

The wet performance is surprisingly good in my experience (although i have read some negative comments from other people about this). I did a track day at the Nordschleife in the wet. Grip and handling was nice and predictable (although I don't think I took them near near the limits as I do in the dry, due to lack of experience in the wet and fear of putting my car in a wall or barrier!). Aquaplaning didn't seem to be an issue at all, even at 120mph in a straight line in very wet conditions!

Tyre wear is very good indeed, considering the use (mostly track driving and often fairly near the limits of grip). At least, it is when run at appropriate pressures and staying off the more vicious kerbs!

In the dry the NS2R is noisy in the cabin, which doesn't matter if its primarily a track tyre but might be more of a concern to some people for road use. It is also difficult to balance on the wheel, which may be due to poorer quality control than more premium tyre brands, leading to uneven weight distribution? To help with that, make sure the yellow dot on the side wall is aligned with the valve.

I'm planning to try the AR1 next, for dry conditions, with the F1A3 as wet backup. But if you're in the market for a decent track-oriented all-rounder at a reasonable price, I think the NS2R is worth considering.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2022
Given 60% while driving a Nissan Silvia (195/55 R15) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
I've ran one set of these just on the front wheels and currently run them on all 4. Pretty solid in the dry but you won't get the most out of them unless you get them hot.... You won't be getting them hot from road driving quite frankly. In the wet these tyres are quite dangerous. Very, very slippery and being semi-slick they like to hydroplane. Definitely exercise a lot of caution driving these in the wet, have to be very careful with acceleration around corners. These have nearly cost me my car after being the slightest bit too heavy on the throttle out of a very slippery corner. In short I only recommend these if you're looking for some cheaper tyres that you can take to the track and drive around on through the week. They probably won't reach their ideal temperature from spirited mountain driving, so basically don't bother with these tyres if you don't track your car at all. I don't think there's much to really compare these to at least around the smaller 195/55 R15 size I run, all other semi-slicks are more expensive and RE003's don't quite match the dry grip of these supposedly.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on March 13, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 90% while driving a Ford Focus ST225 (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 200 spirited miles
Genuinely shocked with these tyres! Fitted to my focus st225 on all corners, heard a few stories of them being rubbish but I went ahead and tried them anyway and I’m glad I did. They can be a bit sketchy until they’ve got some heat in them but once they’re warm they’re like glue! My car used to spin all way into 4th before but with these tyres, once they’re warm it just grips. So far I’ve drove them in dry and damp/slightly wet conditions and they’ve been brilliant. Not too much road noise, they’ve made my car feel more “connected” to the road and more confident in corners. Hard for me to comment on wear as I’ve not had them on long but once they’re due for replacing I’ll be using them again
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2021
Given 77% while driving a Lotus Elan M100 (205/50 R15) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Replaced a set of Toyo TR1's with these, the 205's are actually 215 wide. They look good too. Much stiffer sidewall giving better turn in and much more direct steering. They don't roll over onto the sidewall either, so the tread stays in contact with the road with no squealing. Dry handling on road or track is excellent with solid feel, good turn in and they hold on well when loaded. Straight line and corner braking performance is very good, solid and confidence inspiring. They will progressively understeer at the limit under power, but that's 200hp in a fwd car. If they do lose traction, they recover easily. Surprisingly good on wet road and track, but they won't cope with much standing water. They're probably quite high rolling resistance, being a sport oriented tyre. Low noise levels as long as you don't drive along the cats eyes. Relatively hard ride due to the firm sidewalls. They appear to be wearing ok. I don't expect too much due to the occasional track day. They are a relatively inexpensive road/track tyre. Excellent for the price and I'd buy again for the Lotus, but not for my daily.
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on September 12, 2021
Given 79% while driving a Mercedes Benz 320CDi (235/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
The tyres look great I have them on my cls Mercedes, I have no issues with handling in dry or wet, the reason I would be reluctant to buy these tyres again is the road noise, I’ve replaced front and rear bearings because I thought they had gone. Turns out it’s the tyres. I have to play radio really loud to drone out the noise while driving and braking
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on August 30, 2021
Given 66% while driving a Dodge Neon 2.0 (/45 R17) on track for 0 spirited miles
1998 Dodge Neon: Race day 2019 Road Atlanta. Temps. 328F and Snowing. Okay from the heading you should see that there is snow on the track. SNOW ON THE TRACK !!! I am writing this to some of those dim-whits that think than when some here say or that the company promotes that these are good in the wet, chances are that they MIGHT be pretty good in the wet ! Should you check your speed...YES. Its a Extreme summer performance tire ! Meaning its got compounds for the dry, with some elements and silcia mixed in to stick in the wet. How many here have performed actual racing on tires ? All just track day guys? When you're racing amongst race cars, all on different types of tires, some prepared for the wet, others not so prepared. The difference is a tire enstilling confidence for the driver that the car will stick in the corners and brake zones is what sets a tire apart from others. On these Nankang's we were running circles around the competition ! A dry track turned wet. I was in the Neon, when that wet started showing up, i turned on the heat and went for it abd pushed hard. Collected 15 positions in my drive time in a 2 day endurance race. It started snowing during my stint as well as into the other drivers on my team. Was the car slippery ? Yes..Yes it was. But what i was able to do is to predict that over steer, grab it, and get back on gas stronger than the competition. Alot of you guys here would say that this is a terrible rain tire due to your pure impression that you should be able to hold the same speeds as in the dry. Very few wet tires can actually do that. But you cant tell if youre doing any better or not than the competiton. John here in Tyre Review does a great job of determining wet tire characterisitics. Some of these reviewers however just puke their guts to say that this tire or that tire is just terrible or that they wrecked their car. Its hard to read some of these inputs and then put my reviews of the tire on here to share with others and thisnk, am I wrong or are they !?!? My impression. I like these tires. Are there better ones? Sure. I really really like the Conti Extreme Contact. Raced those at Road Atlanta as well in 2018. Cooooollld, Rainy. The 1989 Ford Mustang was running circles around the competiton. No Stock Mustang is supposed to do that in the wet BTW. We came prepared with these tires. TOOOOONS of cornering grip with the Contis. Did they slip ? SUUURE! But i was also going waaaay faster than the other cars. With that said, the Nankangs are a good cheap tire to try. Good dry, good wet, Good, cheap tire to try. Will review Khumo Ecsta V730 in 1989 Mustang coming shortly. Sorry for the rant Chaps (My Brits Friends).
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on July 27, 2021
Given 70% while driving a Ford Fiesta ST180 (205/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I have these fitted to my 240 bhp Mk7 Fiesta ST, driven mainly on the road but with occasional track days. Had these tires fitted approx 1500-2000km ago, and so far I only have good things to say about them. They grip well in dry, better than other street tires that cost twice the price. Wet grip is pretty poor, but thats kinda what you expect from a semi slick. The tires can be a bit slippy under power when they're cold, but they're pretty easy to get up to temp and when they get up to temp they stick very well. Tire noise is pretty bad, but can be pretty easily drowned out with music. The NS2R's feel very predictable on their limit, and are easy to read. For reference I was running the harder 180tw version of the tire.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on May 20, 2021
Given 41% while driving a Mazda Mx5 2008 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
When you read online feedback (for anything, not just tyres) people tend to do it very early on, you do wonder how the product faired long term. Tyre was a 225/45/17 on a Mk3 MX5 so not a very heavy car. We never ran these in very hot conditions, both times about 15'c ambient. My experience of these is on the first time out on track they were fine, they take a couple of laps to warm up and the rear could step out until they were up to temp, but after that were ok. Second time out on track on a different date they were pretty useless. Just very little grip no matter how long we ran them. The suspension setup was the same, but we were softening the damping all day to try and find some grip. They're also very noisy on the road, not only normal tyre roar from having a lot of rubber and less groove, but also they make a throbbing noise like a bearing or the diff was on the way out. They are at least half the cost of any other track tyre out there and it shows, I won't be using them again.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on May 10, 2021
Ford (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Bought these tyres after I couldn't replace my set of Yokohamas AD 08. Handle almost as well as the Yokos but a stiffer ride. What was unbearable for me though was the noise, I replaced my wheel bearings as I was convinced that's where the noise was coming from... It was the tyres! Replaced them after 3 months with the new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport... Awesome tyres! NS2R... Never again thank you!
Helpful 24 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2020
Ford (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Helpful 24 - tyre reviewed on September 29, 2020
Given 77% while driving a Mazda RX8 (235/40 R18 W) on track for 2,000 spirited miles
Use these on track mostly as they are too.stiff and noisy for the road. They hate cold and wet conditions. On a dry track, they are very good. Grip and feedback are impressive for a cheapish tyre. They do not overheat or wear on the edges like road tyres Overall wear rates are good. In the wet, they are very poor. To be fair, I used them in very cold conditions. Unable to get heat into them, they were hopeless. Overall, a good tyre, but I would push you towards the Goodyear Eagle Super Sports. 99% as good in the dry, excellent in the wet and good on the road
Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on June 18, 2020
Given 79% while driving a Volvo C30 T5 (235/40 R18 W) on track for 9,500 spirited miles
Is a very direct feeling you get from this tyre. You lots of confidence going through a serie of corners. It makes a lot of noise but ok to live with.
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on June 14, 2020