Nokian WR D4 Reviews - Page 4

Given 74% while driving a BMW 325i (225/45 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
These tyres are really quite good for handling for a winter tyre in wet and dry. I have never driven them in show, so no comments there. They are very comfortable but are dim witted in terms of steering feedback (much as you would expect from a winter tyre).

I live in the SE of the UK and it has been rather dry the past couple of winters. I fitted them to my car for the first time last winter for 2 months, probably traveled under 2,000 miles and it scrubbed off 1mm in that time on the driven tyres. Rotated, they should last 4 winter seasons. For their price, it is pretty good value IMO.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 6, 2017
Given 64% while driving a Honda Accord (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 10 average miles
Good handling on dry and wet, almost excellent on snow, but the wear is disaster. I have them second season as winter tyres, more than 10K km so far, but I have noticed that the front tyres are falling apart. Good enough not to buy them again.
3 - tyre reviewed on February 3, 2017
Audi (225/60 R16 V) on mostly town for 10 spirited miles
I have just bought these tires and those 100-200 miles hadn't pass yet so not 100 % performance BUT they are incredible !!!! It is unimaginable how these tires behave in the snow. I have to push it really hard to get those protection systems to enable (ABS ESP) . I have a 2013 Audi A6 front wheel drive 177HP and I have pushed it hard on thin snow with very impressive grip and break !!!! Would never change them for anything else. The only tire that comes to mind for replacement would be Continental TS860 but those are not available on my "flavor" (225/60/R16). Those were 99% alternative for this Nokian WR D4, but for the price difference I think they dont worth it !

I have no data for the Wear factor, but I will only have them for 2 months or so then go back to summer tires so they wont have the time to wear.....

It has been heavy snowing last night . Over 10cm of snow here. I cant wait to go out and ... "PLAY" :) Good luck to you all !! Congrats to NOKIAN !!!
3 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2017
Given 90% while driving a BMW 3 series (205/60 R16) on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
Put these on my BMW last week and initially i was very concerned with how "slippy" the tyres felt but after reading some articles on the web regarding releasing agents that some Tyre manufacturers use i thought i would reserve judgment until i had "brushed" them in after driving on them for a few hundred miles or so first.

after 180 miles done i can say that the grip and drive is much improved . cornering seems assured in the wet and dry now . Grip has been good on icy roads in the morning and evening . Now just. waiting for the first snow to test .
oh and also , i think my fuel mileage has also improved.
Decided on these as i needled run flat winter tryres and this was the newest tyre available . If the Conti TS860 was available in run flat versions i think i would have chosen that one to be honest but these were well priced.
6 - tyre reviewed on December 5, 2016
Given 69% while driving a Vauxhall Corsa D (185/65 R15 H) on mostly town for 6,000 spirited miles
This is the second year for these tyres. Last year I did about 4000 miles on them, and the fronts were down to 5mm tread (3mm worn off). This year, those tyres are on the back and the fresher ones are on the front. At this rate they'll be done after their 4th year.

Generally, they're fine. Wet grip isn't great, on smooth city streets I can easily lose grip taking off from traffic lights, or accelerating while turning. Nipping out of a junction isn't a sure thing compared to the summer tyres. Braking is just OK. My car isn't the highest performing car in the world, (only 100hp 1.4 so not much torque and long fuel-economy gearing). I think these tyres wouldn't suit anything with more power.

Comfort is OK, similar to the Kumho EcoWing 195/55/16 tyres fitted to my summer wheels, much better than the Continentals the car came with which were like rocks.

I think if I were buying again, I'd give them a miss and go for the Dunlop WinterResponse 2 that I run on the wife's i30 (in the same size), as they seem to be able to handle the 133hp of that car no problems. The Dunlops also give much better confidence in the wet.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2016
Given 66% while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
1 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016
Given 91% while driving a Alfa Romeo (205/55 R16 T) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
Very good winter tyre, excellent comfort, great on snow, and more important for me great on rain and dry.
21 - tyre reviewed on April 12, 2016
Given 87% while driving a Nissan Qashqai (215/65 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 4,600 easy going miles
Had them on for the first winter. Covered 7500 kms in very wet, mild snow and dry conditions & at very high speeds. Has provided confident feel, good cornering,decent fuel economy and are silent & comfortable. Have lost 2mm on each tyre - wear is uniform(not sure if this is good or bad for a winter tyre). The DSI indicators are quite helpful to know the tread depth.
9 - tyre reviewed on March 30, 2016
Given 96% while driving a BMW 3 series (205/55 R16 Q) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
Very impressive. After a winter season with the WR D4, i can say that they are amazing. I have a sport style driving and they help me get out of limited situation, where if i slide, my car was crashed. A little bit too soft for speed cornering but i think the problem is from the size, because in the winter i use 205/55/16 and i can't compare them with de 245/40/18 that i use in the summer time. The best winter tires!! I will buy them anytime!
25 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2016
Lexus (225/55 R17) on mostly town for 3,000 spirited miles
These tyres have proved to be an excellent choice for an English winter. Fitted them mid December and have run them to the end of February so far. You can trust the grip both on dry roads and in torrential rain at all speeds. I have not experienced any issues with braking, in any situation they perform predictably and extremely well. Only had one or two days of snow and heavy slush so far this year but they handled it faultlessly without any drama.
They are a very quiet and comfortable tyre, the wear seams to be holding up well and the fuel economy is good too.
I wouldn't choose them to go racing on but in the context of an excellent all round winter tyre they are probably unbeatable at the price. I will definitely buy again.

Note. Don't judge them in the first 200 miles, from experience Nokian tyres always take a few miles to bed-in from new.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 7, 2016
Given 76% while driving a Peugeot 208 1.6 vti (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Extremely quiet tyre with comfort and bump absorption on par with a good summer tyre. Fuel consumption is also extremely low for a winter tyre. There has been very little snow this year so I cannot comment on its performance on snow, but on icy and wet conditions it is satisfactory.
3 - tyre reviewed on February 4, 2016
Given 90% while driving a Volvo s60 D5 (163) (205/55 R16 H) on mostly town for 0 average miles
the best choice! in snow not possible to slide onder 60! in wet no complaint ready to turn up to 160
6 - tyre reviewed on January 28, 2016