Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS

This is a European compound update for the AD08R to reduce the rolling resistance and meet compliance with ECE R117-02 S2WR2.

This tyre replaced the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R.

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 68% over 138,300 miles driven.

The ADVAN Neova AD08RS is ranked 29th of 31 Summer Trackday and Competition tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS

Questions and Answers for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS

2020-02-29 - Treadwear? compare to the old AD08R ?

Unfortunately we've not yet seen any real world tread wear data from the AD08 RS

2022-12-16 - I’ve bought a 2016 Swift Sport as a fun weekend car. I’m not going to track it though. However, I’m thinking of changing the wheels to 15x7j to reduce unsprung mass and improve handling/feel. Rent4Ring run a fleet of Swifts at the Nurburgring with this size and tyre combination. Are these likely to terrify the Mrs if she borrows it to go shopping and it starts raining, though…? In the absence of a Michelin PS4 in 15 inch size, would the PS3 be a better choice, or anything else you would recommend?

I wouldn't send my wife to the shops in the rain on these, especially if it was also cold, read into that what you will. But if it's a fun weekend car will that situation arise?

Quite a few people enjoy the PS3 in that application but it's not going to feel like a track bias tyre. Sadly I'm not sure there are many inbetweens in smaller wheel sizes anymore.

Top 3 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS Reviews

Given 71% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX STI (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I’ve had 2 sets of the previous Ad08r compound on the car before for road/ track use and 2 trips to the Nurburgring and they were excellent but the new Ad08rs tyre is not as good , the compound is a lot harder and I thought the car struggled with dry grip at the Nurburgring this time around , the car lacked the confidence the previous R compound gave .
I will be looking else where for a Trackday tyre in the future I’m sad to say
Helpful 98 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2019
Given 40% while driving a Lotus Exige S (265/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I’ve run AD08R ‘s since they were first released. Amazing tyre!

My driving is a mixture of fast road and track use.

I took the new AD08RS’s over to the alps and covered a couple of thousand miles.

The compound is noticeably harder and there is a lot less dry grip. I found them to be quite unpredictable- sometimes they’d grip and others they wouldn’t. Not great when you’re on a mountain pass!

I won’t be buying these again.
Helpful 29 - tyre reviewed on September 17, 2019
Given 73% while driving a Mazda MX5 2.0 SE (ND 2015 onwards) (205/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
virtually the same as a previous AD08R. I've been driving them all the year. I wasn't on the circuit. I drive them only on roads. I rode cautiously in the wet and then it's okay. They are perfect when dry. Of course you need to think of warming up before a quick ride.
Helpful 27 - tyre reviewed on October 27, 2019
Have you driven on the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS >

Latest Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS Reviews

Given 67% while driving a Mazda MX5 (205/55 R16) on mostly country roads for 4,800 spirited miles
I have a MAZDA MX5 NC with OHLINS suspension and YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA RS 205/55/16. I wore them 2 years ago and unfortunately what I read was confirmed.

Before I had a SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI with BRIDGESTONE RE070 225/45/17 which I was very happy with once I put them on 3 times and had them as a benchmark but….

YOKOHAMA's grip is nothing special for the class. They hold like conventional tires. The frame is average. Neither hard nor soft. They are comfortable and quiet on the journey, but unfortunately when cornering when they slide, they hiss annoyingly. Sometimes they make the car relatively unpredictable, compared to the previous tires I had. I thought something was wrong with the alignment. I did it again which didn't show anything. In fact, I made it less aggressive to make the car less overstear and safe, but again in some cases it has a sudden overstear behavior that surprises and is not controlled, especially when I insist on the gas, while it didn't have it before. I read that others have faced the same issue and that's why I'm reporting it.

I wouldn't buy them again!
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on January 20, 2023
Given 54% while driving a Subaru Legacy GT B twin turbo (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 30,000 miles
I've used the AD08R, and the AD08RS on the same car; the difference is night and day. The RS variant starts squealing without much effort. They are very underwhelming, they wear well though. Probably because they're such a hard, not even slightly sticky compound. Just purchased some Goodyear Asymmetric 6's to replace them. Maybe they just aren't scrubbed in yet XD
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on December 5, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 49% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I drove the Advan Neova 8r before and was impressed in every respect. That's why I also bought the rs, the disillusionment was very great. The dry grip is a disaster, the tire squeaks loudly and loses grip completely, even at speeds that I drove on the same day with a cheap winter tire without any loss of grip or noise. Outside temperature about 20 degrees. Even careful running in and higher temperatures did not bring any improvement. The wet grip is a bit better but nothing compared to the predecessor. Especially the feel of the grip level is very bad with this tire. I also added a Conti PremiumContact 6 (normal summer tire) for comparison, this also surpasses the rs by a long way, and that is also measurable in every respect! The test vehicle is a Golf 4 with an optimized chassis, new original sports suspension springs, Bilstein P6 shock absorbers and a complete axle bearing with Powerflex Black Series PU bushings. The tire size is always 225 45 17 . My conclusion not recommended!
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on October 8, 2022
Given 49% while driving a Vauxhall Astra GSi (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 300 average miles
AD08R the best tyres I've had on my car the grip could not complain about but the AD08RS unpredictable handling absolute garbage payed £550 for 4 and they are absolutely useless do not buy do not make the same mistake as I have
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on September 21, 2022
Given 89% while driving a Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster (205/50 R15) on mostly country roads for 4,000 average miles
Really great tires for mid-engine HA, like MR2 W3. Particularly unexpected how quiet they are and in normal rain they are even better than standard road tires. Very comfortable and reliable. No need to warm up above 10°C. No nasty surprises in unexpected situations, because always super grip! ABSOLUTE RECOMMENDATION!!!
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on June 12, 2022
Given 83% while driving a Toyota 86 GT (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 7,500 average miles
This tire doesn't deserve all the criticism it receives, which is understandable if you compare it directly to its predecessor the AD08R. I find that this tire is an excellent compromise for a sports car for road/track use: these sidewalls are very resistant (worthy of a semi-slick) for your circuit use with very correct wear. I'm already at 4-5 trackdays with it and I must be halfway through the wear on the front axle. The tire is not very noisy/uncomfortable for road use. In the wet, the grip isn't bad at all for a semi-slick and the tire communicates very well on the loss of grip, which is very important. To sum up, there is better in terms of grip for a semi-slick but I find it unbeatable on the compromise, better than a PS4 on dry or equivalent because of its solidity at the sidewalls. The design of this tire is very pretty with its flames..
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on June 7, 2022
Given 80% while driving a Toyota GT86 (225/45 R17) on track for 15,000 spirited miles
Excellent dry grip, not sure why everybody moans about the rs. On track the tyres didnt overheat and the level of grip is much beeter than a pilot sport 4 for example. Wet grip even when cold is pretty good. Not overly noisy for a semi slick tyre
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on March 10, 2022
Given 67% while driving a Renault clio 197 (215/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Bought these as a replacement for my worn set of AD08R. Wanted to get the AD08R again bet they were not in stock or ridiculously priced. As a track tire in the dry I'm disappointed, they grip significantly less and also lack feel and progressiveness compared to the AD08R. As a fast road and in the wet they a decent tire. Long lasting for a semi slick.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on November 16, 2021
Given 67% while driving a Honda Civic (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Good feeling with hard walls in 195/50 r15 which isn't a common size by today standard. But really poor under rainy condition compared to my Michelin Ps3 and not progressive at the limit, pretty violent reaction The car feels overall more understeery than it was before
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on November 12, 2021
Given 63% while driving a MINI Cooper S (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
I’ve done 11000km with the AD08RS, and there is still 4 mm of thread left!! Its not a semislick by any means, I’ve driven in -3 to 38 degrees conditions, squeals when driven barely hard in corners, feedback is ok-ish but turn in is quite slow,and not very nimble in left-to-right transition, tried all the pressures possible, don’t like them, and I will not buy again. Sometimes they squeal and lock even under heavy breaking! Such poor compound, poor grip. In the wet is not bad, if warmed up. They are cheap, a lot cheaper than the old R. Tire noise is acceptable. I’m seriously tempted to throw them away and buy something else.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on June 30, 2021
Given 71% while driving a MINI Clubman (215/45 R17) on for 0 miles
Very hard compound. On track squealing on every corner, squealing on hard braking. It isn't an real semi slick. Cheap Federal 595 pro has much more dry grip.
Helpful 17 - tyre reviewed on June 24, 2021
Given 92% while driving a Mazda MX5 (225/45 R17) on track for 500 spirited miles
For some reason these tyres have received a fair bit of bad press but I’m guessing this is people who are either comparing them directly against the AD08R or just haven’t used them but want to jump on the band wagon. They are not comparable to the 08R, they are a different compound to meet EU regs BUT.... they really are good tyres and they are MSA list 1B tyres for a reason. The grip is fantastic, progressive and provide good feedback so you can be comfortable with turn in. The wear rate is very good and the noise is far from intrusive on the road too. They generate heat quickly and are a great track tyre, probably better suited to lighter cars but you will be pressed to find better for the money.
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on May 28, 2021