Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R is a Trackday and Competition Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 and this tyre has been replaced by the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08RS.

Tyre review data from 39 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 217,509 miles driven.

The ADVAN Neova AD08R is ranked 2nd of 26 Summer Trackday and Competition tyres.

2019 17 inch Track Day Tyre Test - 2nd of 5 tyres

• Positive - Universal tyre for different weather conditions, less overheating than Hankook RS3.
  • Negative - Average feedback, high price, moderate lateral cornering.
  • Overall - Nicely balanced on the Mazda, but poor reactions to large steering lock so not ideal for beginners. The tyre doesn't overheat much, and allows for constant laptimes. A good wet performance means this tyre could be a good choice as an everyday tyre, but for the price you could get the Hankook for track and Continental for road.

2017 Track Day Tyre Test - 4th of 5 tyres

• Positive - Well balanced in the wet making the car easy to drive.
  • Negative - Slow steering in the dry, long wet braking distances.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

Questions and Answers for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

2019-10-06 - What's the TW?

I'm afraid we don't keep treadwear rating on record for the AD08R, I'm sure Yokohama will be able to answer the question in your size.

2021-09-16 - I have got this tyre mounted on my Celica, and with winter approaching, I am wondering if these would perform worse than a budget or mid-range tyre like a Goodride or Avon in cold and wet conditions? I had these tyres mounted on a car I only planned to use on track or on the road during the summer for weekends. Now I am considering using the it through the British winter as an everyday car and wondering if it I need to fit more suitable tyres?

This is an interesting question. I'm afraid I don't know the answer, I would imagine in the cold and wet these would be worse than a budget tyre!

ADVAN Neova AD08R Prices

Top 3 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R Reviews

Given 94% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I'd heard a lot of good things about these tyres, and everyone was right. I will never be buying any other tyre for any sports car I own! The grip in the dry, mixed with the AWD from my Impreza is unbeatable, and it grips just as well in the wet, giving me massive confidence in the corners. They still look new after 2000 miles of use and aren't any louder than other tyres I've used. They are a premium brand tyre but don't cost as much as other makes, which is a bonus. Would highly recommend to anyone.
175 - tyre reviewed on April 21, 2016
Honda Civic EG (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
I only used it about a month only.Really hate this tyre.Not sutable for 200hp car.Always spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.Cannot race with this tyre.Oversteer and understeer when use it on the sepang track....failed!!!!
68 - tyre reviewed on May 30, 2015
Given 77% while driving a Lotus Elise (205/45 R16) on track for 1,000 spirited miles
I run these tires on an Elise S in 205/45/16 front and 235/40/17 rear. I replaced the original AD07LTS with them for track use as I found the original tire to underperform in corner entry. I bought the AD08R as they are priced and positioned as a street tire and at that time I was not so sure about how much track work they will get. I ended up using them as my track day tire.
The tire is run on whole day events with 30 to 45 min sprints, 30 to 45 min pause, then sprint then pause etc.
When cold the tire slides along quite heavily and it takes longer than others to warm up on my light car. This can be totally different on heavier cars. Normally I need 20 min to leave the track first time for pressure adjustments. I run 1.9 bar front and 2.1 rear hot, also used 1.8 front and 2.0 rear lately which seems to work a little better.
Once hot, the tire performs really well for a street tire. Biggest point on my car is that I can brake much later than friends on Federal 595 rs-r or Toyo r1r or other sport street tires. When reaching the limit the car is very communicative and slides progressively. I never had any nasty surprises.
In the wet for the race track the tire is really bad in my impression as a driver, even though others were surprised how fast the car still goes given the little negative profile of the tire. But the car was definitely no fun anymore in the wet, constantly managing understeer and oversteer it was quite hectic.

My biggest concern over the tire is that they eventually start overheating in the afternoon sessions if a high pace is keeped up for the day. This leaves the car sliding around, however this is still progressive and very manageable but leaves the impression that best laptimes are lost because the peak performance of the tire already left when the peak performance of the driver arrives. For that reason I will switch to a semi slick for pure trackwork.

On the Elise the tire lasts quite long, a front tire lasting twice as long as a rear.

Pro:
Communicative
Progressive
Great dry grip
Performs better than your average sporty street tire, but of course it can not reach a semi slick
Lasts surprisingly long

Contra:
Sketchy when cold
Sketchy when hot
Bad on track when wet (acceptable for the street though as you one does not drive nearly as aggressive on the street)

Buy when:
You need a sporty street tire that can keep up on the occasional track day
Do not buy when:
You need a tire purely for track work
35 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2018
Have you driven on the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R >

Latest Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R Reviews

Given 90% while driving a MINI Cooper S (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 4 spirited miles
I can't believe just how much grip these tyres have. Roundabout at 90mph in the wet
0 - tyre reviewed on July 1, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Honda CIVIC 1.6 VTEC (205/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Best tyre I've ever tested. Road/track day. I was amazed by the level of grip on wet. In dry you can push your car to the limits and the tyre keep the pace, unbeatable. I even went faster than other cars with full race tires in a track day.
3 - tyre reviewed on April 18, 2021
Given 73% while driving a Renault Clio 182 Cup Pack (205/45 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 miles
Bought these tyres for my Clio 182 for spirited road use and occasional track use. Once tyres have a little heat in them grip levels increase in the dry. Also the progressiveness of the tyres is good, they give you plenty of warning before letting go. Stiffer sidewalls give great feel on circuit too. They have also stood up to track work and not worn as fast as i thought. I rarely run the car in wet conditions. However they are ok but without heat on the road they can be a little less predictable. They also do not like standing water! Compared to the Michelin PS3 i was running previously, they are not as manageable in wet conditions. Ive done 3000 spirited miles and one trip to the Nurburgring and they have around 4mm left in the centre of the tyre which is very impressive. Id be tempted to buy these gain however i may go for a Federal 595RSR or a Nankang NS2r for comparison.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2020
Given 67% while driving a Renault clio 197 (215/45 R17 W) on track for 3,000 spirited miles
In a word great tyre, so sad to read mixed reviews on a new AD08RS. Yes it is loud, and yes it is very stiff compromising the comfort, but road feedback, immediacy on steering inputs and grip level are absolutely amazing. Never drove the car on them on sub zero temperatures but on temperatures close to zero these tend to heat up quickly just by normal driving peace. As a TD tyre it performs rather well, good resistance to overheating and almost semi-slick level of grip. Currently I am on a set of MPSC2 and times I put down are within 1s compared to AD08R. All this comes at the price of trading the wet weather performance. On a damp road you will be fine but hit the puddle and you are going to be all over the place. Personally tested, not a nice feeling... Replaced front tyres after 5000 km and 2 TDs.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2020
Given 90% while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Hello I am from Athens Greece so average tarmac here (unfortunately).I drive a Seat Leon mk1 1.8t 20v.with Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R 225/45/17 91Y tyres. On dry tarmac they give great handling and feedback on close turn roads and they offer great confidence - while on highways they are excellent offering great grip on high speeds and also on emergency brakes .On wet tarmac either on close turn roads or on highways you just cant find the tyre's limits ,so you drive more preservative.
17 - tyre reviewed on September 15, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Subaru 2008 subaru impreza sti (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Can't say anything more than best reviews here. I used to buy these tyres for long now, since they were "Ad08" not "R", on my subarus : they are the best out of many previous tyres tests for me on my "toy/track" STI, and as a bonus I reached 5000kms for the first time with one set - Since this time, I never change again !
I think the one word to describe these tyres is : confidence.
I use them on my daily STI too, I just switch to V105 for winter conditions. Sometimes I test other tyres on this car when i want different grip, cause il like having fun at lower speed on this car.
Just to know I have >700Nm, crush some gearboxes on my trackcar, and this tyre never peeled off like many others on hard track use, even when touching bumpers. I also can do long sessions on my favorite track (>30min), it doesnt overheat too fast.

2 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2019
Given 77% while driving a Subaru BRZ (235/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I'm currently on my third set of AD08Rs. All 3 sets have been acquired at different stage's of life over the last 2 years so i'd assume my review on them should be fairly comprehensive for my use-case.

1'st set i got was off a friend which were relatively new with about 85% thread left on them. 2'nd set popped up really cheap as a used set at around 60% life and i got the 3'rd set new.

For daily use:
Honestly, a surprisingly well-behaved race-orientated tyre for the road. No real drama. It's perfectly acceptable in terms of conform and noise (given i run pretty stiff coilovers and exhaust isn't exactly silent). Ran RE003 Potenza's before this which is more of a road-bias performance tyre and i barely, if at all, notice any difference in comfort. Dry grip undoubtedly, is excessive for everyday road use. Trust me, i'll hardly ever have a lack of it in the dry. In the wet, they behave well too. When they're new, cruising on the highway at 100-120kmph isn't much of a big deal but of course, don't go crazy and you'll be fine. Wear on these i'd assume are fine as well if you swap between track and daily alignments. As i had a string of trackdays, i made the mistake of leaving a rather aggressive track alignment on and yet, they lasted a 6 months on a combo of daily driving and track work.

For the Track:
In terms of outright grip, they're great. Comparable to the R888Rs and anything else in the upper echelon of street-legal performance tyres, if not better. They let go very progressively and you'll hear they screech long before they give-up on you. One complaint i have tho, is feedback. Perhaps it's the specific alignment i'm running or some weird steering geometry at play but they feel numb. Going straight, mid-corner, on full lock, on breaking, they just feel numb to me. Hence, if it's your first time out on them, it'll take you sometime to learn ther limit as you'll have to go off your other senses to determined whether or not you're gonna implant yourself into that wall out of turn-14.

Aside from the lack of feedback, overall a very good tire.
7 - tyre reviewed on June 21, 2019
Given 77% while driving a Ford Focus 2002 Hatchback (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Marvellous grip in the dry, crossing white lines in the wet, not so good. My mistake was I bought 225/45/17 tyres, instead of original size 215/45/17. On bumpy country roads, which is the custom in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 the width of the tyres scrape against the front wheel arches, though the rear is unconcerned . I will indeed buy them again, in the original SVT Focus size.
2 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2019
Given 88% while driving a Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster (215/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 300 spirited miles
My car has staggered sizes, so this is also a review of 185/55 15 front tyres.

Brilliant tyres, straight up, but fairly hardcore. Great fun. You feel everything through the steering. These tyres fundamentally change the whole feel of my car. The steel reinforced sidewalls literally make the car feel like it's had stiffer suspension fitted. Ideal for enthusiastic drivers, but, understandably, they ride a little harder than average. To me, that's worth it for the razor sharp turn in.

They tramline a little on my medium profile front tyres - not enough to bother me, but you do notice. Anyone with 19" or 20" fronts on ultra low profile rubber should weigh that up carefully before pulling the trigger.

Dry grip and exceptional feel are these tyres' forte. Wet grip is OK (but I have separate winter wheels/tyres and would not advise pushing these tyres in cold, wet conditions). Feel in the wet remains good. 10/10 dry, 7.5/10 wet.

Sadly, these tyres have been discontinued, replaced by the AD08RS which has a lower rolling resistance. I hope this does not affect grip and feel. Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing some reviews on the RS.
5 - tyre reviewed on April 6, 2019
Given 99% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 (Modified) (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Absolutely the BEST TYRES i have bought for my car ! Amazing grip !! These tyres are out of this world !! Best tyre ever !! Highly RECOMMENDED specially for enthusiastic drivers !!
10 - tyre reviewed on November 19, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Peugeot 206 Gti Rallye (195/50 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 200 spirited miles
Recently replaced my superfair Uniroyal Rainsport 2 with these brilliant tyres ,what a differences does it make.From the start the wheel response ingreased and gained weight.In terms of hard cornering they made my mind blown on dry.15 - 20km/h more speed on entry and yet not aproach their limits.In wet conditions thow in our horrible roads in Greece they make my feel like fish out of water.They don't like horrible shiny roads with few amounts of grip in wet and low temp conditions and they show you from the first moment.Despite wet perfomance (in my country) i suggest them to any enthusiast motorsport driver with proper tuned car who wants something more from a common street tyre.
7 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2018
Given 91% while driving a Toyota Perodua Myvi Toyota Passo (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 50,000 spirited miles
Best tire money can buy, its the ultimate street & also track proven! Used 4 pieces & 2 till end of lifespan..front 2 pieces lasted amazingly close to 57k km & rear still going strong 64k km! Will definitely buy again!
6 - tyre reviewed on July 2, 2018