Kumho Ecsta PS31

The Kumho Ecsta PS31 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 51 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 300,453 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS31 is ranked 51st of 139 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

2016-12-27 - How the noise level of kumho ecsta ps31? Will this tire get more noisy over time? Thanks

Unfortunately we don't have any specific noise data for the Kumho PS31, but the tyre reviews we have score the noise / comfort very well.

2018-10-13 - Can these be used as a Runflat?

I do not believe there are runflat versions of the Kumho Ecsta PS31

2019-02-05 - How do these compare to ku22 and which is the better tire for spirited driving. Which tire has the softer compound for grip

The KU31 is the more sporty tyre, though by how much I'm not sure as I don't think anyone has done the test yet!

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS31 Reviews

(195/50 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
The tyres are comfortable but abit soft. The grip is phenomenal in dry and also wet. I go on Monthly Touge up Genting Sempah, Ulu Yam, Karak so I definitely know what i'm talking about. Taking corner you seldom feel the tyre slip, just the G-force pulling your body during spirited driving.
Helpful 797 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2016
Given 81% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI MK5 (remapped 330bhp) (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
At first when my friends at the workshop recommended this tyre. Being only RM400/piece I have my doubts initially plus I'm not familiar with the brand but I still make my choices to take up the PS31. The doubts immediately cleared off when took the car out for a convoy. The entire journey is about 650km with mix of average and spirited drive and I'm surprised how a RM400/piece tyre perform on the road. Dry grip is good and the wet grip is fantastic. On dry road the car feels steady at high speed and surprisingly low noise and during low speed/normal driving speed, the tyre is a little soft due to softer tyre wall but resulted in comfort drive. But when you hit wet road, this is where the tyre shines as it has even more awesome grip on dry. Normally you'll feel the car shifts to the left and right when driving on wet road but with this tyre, you barely feel the tyre skid and feel more in control. As for wear it's still unknown but after driving it for about 10,000km with mixture of driving (been for spirited drive for 4-5 times since I got the tyre), I have to say the wear is impressive. Will I buy again? Hell yeah but I'll want to try the PS91 next but no doubt for those who wants to enjoy spirited driving but have tight budget, this is the tyre to go for.
Helpful 69 - tyre reviewed on May 6, 2017
Given 57% while driving a Kia Motors Cerato Forte (215/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 12,200 average miles
Braking on dry road is bad.. think its a bit loud
Helpful 63 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2017
Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS31 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS31? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS31 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS31 Reviews

Given 79% while driving a Ford (195/50 R15) on for 50 spirited miles
When I received my Fiesta which I bought second hand with these tyres fitted new I was amazed at how well my 2005 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.6 Duratec held on the roads... I'm from South Africa and drove it from Gauteng where I bought it to Cape Town where I was staying at the time... At 1st I didn't care what tyres were on there vehicle... To be honest, I didn't want a Ford cause of previous experiences when Ford and Mazda vehicles tended to look the same... I was still doubting my love for the vehicle on the drive down to Cape Town... Once I hit those windy bends along the coast in the Cape I fell in love with the Ford Fiesta and the Kumho Ecsta SP31 immediately... She held onto the bends so that it felt like I was back in my school days where I did middle distance running... I was in control of my body and the car and which ever way I leaned to in the bends with the steering firmly in my hands the car went... Was romance at once and its where I fell in love with the car... I held my lane through bends and curves with precision making sure I stay either to the inner line of the lane or precisely in the middle between the lines of the lane or just on which ever part of the road I wanted her to... Raced a RUN-X RSI which was around the same age as my Fiesta through traffic and even through all the accelerating, braking and bobbing and weaving on a wettish road surface she did as I wanted her to with my braking being precise as I had learnt my brake travel distance allowance of the tyres and vehicle... Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres were made for that Fiesta as they were poetry in motion... Raced a 2007 Polo 1.6 which was a newer car than the Fiesta at night on the N1 highway going into Cape Town from Bellville and the grip from the start to the acceleration to the top end speed my Fiesta would allow (was Factory Governed at 195km is what the speed reading was on my speedometer) was with so much of ease that I found myself often running into the governer and having the vehicle run its fuel cut off-on process with me often thanks to the Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres... I know it was cause of those tyres cause when I put new tyres on I wanted a tyre to last more than 40 000km to 50 000km not knowing I was going to be missing out on what I could do with the Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres as I was advised at the time to get the Falken turds which were a harder compound tyre allowing the tyres to last longer... Not knowing my ride would be a harder ride, and that if I hit pot holes the rims would feel the punch as they later become un-balance-able and I had to send them in for repairs... The stopping with the Kuhmo were very responsive and urgent when needed... They did start to slide around quick corners on wet roads when they reached 35 000km which made for some fun driving... The Kuhmo Ecsta PS31 195/50 R15 tyres even saved me and a few mates lives the one drunken night when we were driving on the same N1 highway I would take from Bellville going to Cape Town just about every day... We came down the hill around a snake type bend and there was a carlaying in its side with its under carriage facing towards us on a dark area of the highway where the lights weren't working... Thanks to the vehicles quick responsiveness and the confidence I grew I the tyres I could swerve well hitting the brakes with a vehicle of 4 adults in it without the vehicle sliding or wanting to roll as I turned rather quickly on a dry road surface going down a hill at 160km/h and quickly coming to a stop not far from the vehicle nor from where I started to hit the brakes and swerve so that we could help the mptoist in the vehicle that had rolled... I don't know what speeds they were doing around the same bend I was going 160km/h that same night and at various times I would hit the speed governer of the vehicle down and around the same snake bend part of the hill, all I know is they weren't in a Fiesta nor did they have Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres on their vehicle... Would I recommend them to anyone, obviously yes as I haven't had a tyre that has brought me so much pleasure as the Kuhmo. Ecsta SP31 has with regards to pleasure, speed, handling and control on wet and dry surfaces on long winding bends, long straights and short straights aswell as in short fast corners and turns in the city between the tall buildings as the Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres have...

I have put on Kuhmo Ecsta HS52 195/50 R15 two days ago on my new second hand 2017/2018 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost (my new Fiesta) in the hopes of having the same same effect as I was told by the salesman at the tyre garage that Kuhmo have discontinued the Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres... I have a few questions now with regards to the Kuhmo Ecsta HS52 tyre:

*Is it true that they are discontinued??? And if so will I receive the same enjoyment and satisfaction as I once did with the Kuhmo Ecsta SP31 tyres on the Kuhmo Ecsta HS52???

*Why does the Kuhmo Ecsta HS52 give off a burning rubber smell when driving as I find when I stop at traffic lights and stop streets or even just at a shop I get this burning rubber smell from my car and when I feel the tyres they are quite hot and the roads haven't heat up yet as it's been a little rainy since I put the tyres on which I'm still driving nicely with as I have done a service on the vehicle and brakes being part of the surface Im really taking quite easy well driving tyres and brakes and oil and everything in... The car wants to bolt and just go-go-go while I'm trying to be responsible and sensible to the new parts and additives aswell as tyre... Are these tyres suppose to be giving off the smell as I have never driven in new tyres that have given off any smell??? Should I go back to the garage and ask to have them replaced??? Could it be a factory fault or am I all of a sudden doing something wrong like not speeding and doing what I have done with my of my new tyres and that's drive them in for 5 000km with slower than usual driving techniques and arrogance compared to in my past years???
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2022
Given 73% while driving a Nissan almera 1.5 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 25,000 average miles
Good tyre but wears out fast compared to other makers
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on September 28, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 74% while driving a Proton Gen2 (195/55 R15) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
This tyre does its job for day-to-day commute. It gives grip both on dry & wet road. However, for spirited drive, it needs much correction because the tyres limit is very low. But if going on highway such as Karak in the dry, you can put your trust in it because it will hold you. Just not so much on Ulu Yam roads where there’s a lot of high speed tight corners. In the rain, I wouldn’t recommend you driving on Genting roads because there really is no grip that you can get from this tyre. It’s maybe a hard compound and therefore it’s hard to get heat in it hence the no grip issue on wet road. The plus point of this tyre is the longevity with its 400 treadwear rating. After driving multiple times on Ulu Yam and Gohtong, there still is no sign of wear on the tyres. So I would recommend this tyre for someone who is on a budget driving it for daily commute only. I got it from Ah Kit (Shah Alam) in 2021 for RM145 per piece (195/55/15). Coming from a Bridgestone Potenza RE003, this really is a no match (i know it is not apple to apple comparison).
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2022
Given 73% while driving a BMW Z3 roadster 2.8 (twin VANOS) (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 21,500 average miles
Been driving on these since I bought the car in 2017 (started with 225/45ZR17, then switched to 205/55ZR16 on stock wheels as 225/50 was too expensive). Mostly driven quicker than general traffic (not quite spirited though), with occasional hard driving when conditions permit (although the South African potholes tend to make that hard). I can't really comment much on their wet grip as I'm not the type to do something stupid in the rain, but apart from when I had unstable toe at the back it's never disappointed in the wet. In the dry, they're excellent. They don't break loose unless I'm very deliberate, and even then the car is very easy to control. That being said, they do wear very quickly. I'm looking at 20-25k km on a set with rotation. So if you're looking for durable tyres, you'd best look elsewhere. But if like me you don't drive that much, then they give excellent grip for the money. And I can't say much about noise, as this is after all an inherently noisy car. I can definitely recommend them.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2022
Given 63% while driving a Toyota Perodua Myvi Toyota Passo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Cons: Took my car to some touge on Ulu Yam, Genting Sempah, and Hulu Langat. These tyres are disappointing. They screech, they squeal, they also have a tendency to understeer. Response is nowhere near as sharp as the re003 i was using previously. Probably due to the softer tyre walls. Tyres can get rid of water over puddles easily. But hard braking in the wet is scary... Pros: tyres are really comfortable for long drives. Very quiet due to the softer tyre walls. They are also quite good when driving over wet roads. Good enough for normal people, but not for car enthusiasts
Helpful 14 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2021
Given 79% while driving a Suzuki Swift 1.5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I enjoy driving fast and cornering fast in Genting Highlands. Changing from Re003, first thing i noticed is how comfortable this PS31 is. Side walls are significantly softer and significantly less road nice. Bad thing is, my car lost the sharpness from the initial turn of the wheel. Not to say that this tyre is not grippy, its just that it doesnt feel as sharp as the re003, Grip is fine during hard cornering. Just a little sad that i lost the sharpness of the re003. Conclusion? Buy this if you touge on the weekends and daily drive the same car to work. This tyre is good considering the price.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on September 1, 2021
(195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
i'm kinda semi aggressive driver, so whenever i got the chance to tackle some corner, it will take it. This tyre is really good for the price point, the dry grip is impressive for the size/price. The downside for this tyre is the wet grip, i had no idea how others give really good review on wet grip. On my side this tyre on wet is just so-so, can easily spun my tyre on first gear ( 110+-whp car), can easily skid for non-abs car under hard braking on wet road. However this tyre perform quite good in term of aquaplaning. Been using this tyre for more than 20k km.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on August 20, 2021
Given 84% while driving a Mazda 6 Wagon (225/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 22,000 average miles
Kumho PS31 were good on dry as well as in wet conditions. I drove 35 000 km's and there are less than 2,5 mm's left. I drove a bit more with Nankang's I used to have. When Kumho's became worn out they were really noisy which definitely reduces the comfort aspect. Even they were worn they did they job. I was happy with them and I would recommend these for normal use
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2021
Given 66% while driving a (195/55 R15) on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
Got a set of Kumho ps31 195 55 15 for my Proton Persona VVT 2016.Grip is good for this car but road noise is a bit on the high side.For the price i cant complain but sure to get it again if it can last me for at least 60k km.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on June 18, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Suzuki swift sport (195/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
great value for money. Sidewalls are a little soft but great for comfort. grips well both in Dry and Wet. although ultimate grip is still a little less than the Michelin PS4. But priced at slightly more than half the price of the PS4 in 205/50R16. it is a winner.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on March 3, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Honda Civic Si Sedan (205/50 R16) on mostly town for 100 average miles
I found out about this tire from this site a few months ago and I decided to give it a try. Well, my personal experience with this tire is 8/10, handling on a dry road is intact firmly and no wobble on wet. Highly recommended for those looking for a mid-range tire at the descent price.
Helpful 14 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Toyota Vios (215/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 average miles
Very good UHP tyre. Especially on dry weather driving. More confident driving around 140km/h and above. Still in good grip on wet weather. Overall for RM250 per tyre a good investment.
Helpful 13 - tyre reviewed on December 30, 2020