Kumho Ecsta PS31

The Kumho Ecsta PS31 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 49 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 275,403 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS31 is ranked 54th of 137 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS31

2016-12-27 - How the noise level of kumho ecsta ps31? Will this tire get more noisy over time? Thanks

Unfortunately we don't have any specific noise data for the Kumho PS31, but the tyre reviews we have score the noise / comfort very well.

2018-10-13 - Can these be used as a Runflat?

I do not believe there are runflat versions of the Kumho Ecsta PS31

2019-02-05 - How do these compare to ku22 and which is the better tire for spirited driving. Which tire has the softer compound for grip

The KU31 is the more sporty tyre, though by how much I'm not sure as I don't think anyone has done the test yet!

Ecsta PS31 Prices

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS31 Reviews

(195/50 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
The tyres are comfortable but abit soft. The grip is phenomenal in dry and also wet. I go on Monthly Touge up Genting Sempah, Ulu Yam, Karak so I definitely know what i'm talking about. Taking corner you seldom feel the tyre slip, just the G-force pulling your body during spirited driving.
Helpful 779 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2016
Given 81% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI MK5 (remapped 330bhp) (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
At first when my friends at the workshop recommended this tyre. Being only RM400/piece I have my doubts initially plus I'm not familiar with the brand but I still make my choices to take up the PS31. The doubts immediately cleared off when took the car out for a convoy. The entire journey is about 650km with mix of average and spirited drive and I'm surprised how a RM400/piece tyre perform on the road. Dry grip is good and the wet grip is fantastic. On dry road the car feels steady at high speed and surprisingly low noise and during low speed/normal driving speed, the tyre is a little soft due to softer tyre wall but resulted in comfort drive. But when you hit wet road, this is where the tyre shines as it has even more awesome grip on dry. Normally you'll feel the car shifts to the left and right when driving on wet road but with this tyre, you barely feel the tyre skid and feel more in control. As for wear it's still unknown but after driving it for about 10,000km with mixture of driving (been for spirited drive for 4-5 times since I got the tyre), I have to say the wear is impressive. Will I buy again? Hell yeah but I'll want to try the PS91 next but no doubt for those who wants to enjoy spirited driving but have tight budget, this is the tyre to go for.
Helpful 65 - tyre reviewed on May 6, 2017
Given 57% while driving a Kia Motors Cerato Forte (215/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 12,200 average miles
Braking on dry road is bad.. think its a bit loud
Helpful 58 - tyre reviewed on August 27, 2017
Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS31 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS31? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS31 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS31 Reviews

Given 74% while driving a Proton Gen2 (195/55 R15) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
This tyre does its job for day-to-day commute. It gives grip both on dry & wet road. However, for spirited drive, it needs much correction because the tyres limit is very low. But if going on highway such as Karak in the dry, you can put your trust in it because it will hold you. Just not so much on Ulu Yam roads where there’s a lot of high speed tight corners. In the rain, I wouldn’t recommend you driving on Genting roads because there really is no grip that you can get from this tyre. It’s maybe a hard compound and therefore it’s hard to get heat in it hence the no grip issue on wet road. The plus point of this tyre is the longevity with its 400 treadwear rating. After driving multiple times on Ulu Yam and Gohtong, there still is no sign of wear on the tyres. So I would recommend this tyre for someone who is on a budget driving it for daily commute only. I got it from Ah Kit (Shah Alam) in 2021 for RM145 per piece (195/55/15). Coming from a Bridgestone Potenza RE003, this really is a no match (i know it is not apple to apple comparison).
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2022
Given 73% while driving a BMW Z3 roadster 2.8 (twin VANOS) (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 21,500 average miles
Been driving on these since I bought the car in 2017 (started with 225/45ZR17, then switched to 205/55ZR16 on stock wheels as 225/50 was too expensive). Mostly driven quicker than general traffic (not quite spirited though), with occasional hard driving when conditions permit (although the South African potholes tend to make that hard). I can't really comment much on their wet grip as I'm not the type to do something stupid in the rain, but apart from when I had unstable toe at the back it's never disappointed in the wet. In the dry, they're excellent. They don't break loose unless I'm very deliberate, and even then the car is very easy to control. That being said, they do wear very quickly. I'm looking at 20-25k km on a set with rotation. So if you're looking for durable tyres, you'd best look elsewhere. But if like me you don't drive that much, then they give excellent grip for the money. And I can't say much about noise, as this is after all an inherently noisy car. I can definitely recommend them.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2022
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 63% while driving a Toyota Perodua Myvi Toyota Passo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Cons: Took my car to some touge on Ulu Yam, Genting Sempah, and Hulu Langat. These tyres are disappointing. They screech, they squeal, they also have a tendency to understeer. Response is nowhere near as sharp as the re003 i was using previously. Probably due to the softer tyre walls. Tyres can get rid of water over puddles easily. But hard braking in the wet is scary... Pros: tyres are really comfortable for long drives. Very quiet due to the softer tyre walls. They are also quite good when driving over wet roads. Good enough for normal people, but not for car enthusiasts
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on September 26, 2021
Given 79% while driving a Suzuki Swift 1.5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I enjoy driving fast and cornering fast in Genting Highlands. Changing from Re003, first thing i noticed is how comfortable this PS31 is. Side walls are significantly softer and significantly less road nice. Bad thing is, my car lost the sharpness from the initial turn of the wheel. Not to say that this tyre is not grippy, its just that it doesnt feel as sharp as the re003, Grip is fine during hard cornering. Just a little sad that i lost the sharpness of the re003. Conclusion? Buy this if you touge on the weekends and daily drive the same car to work. This tyre is good considering the price.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on September 1, 2021
(195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
i'm kinda semi aggressive driver, so whenever i got the chance to tackle some corner, it will take it. This tyre is really good for the price point, the dry grip is impressive for the size/price. The downside for this tyre is the wet grip, i had no idea how others give really good review on wet grip. On my side this tyre on wet is just so-so, can easily spun my tyre on first gear ( 110+-whp car), can easily skid for non-abs car under hard braking on wet road. However this tyre perform quite good in term of aquaplaning. Been using this tyre for more than 20k km.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on August 20, 2021
Given 84% while driving a Mazda 6 Wagon (225/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 22,000 average miles
Kumho PS31 were good on dry as well as in wet conditions. I drove 35 000 km's and there are less than 2,5 mm's left. I drove a bit more with Nankang's I used to have. When Kumho's became worn out they were really noisy which definitely reduces the comfort aspect. Even they were worn they did they job. I was happy with them and I would recommend these for normal use
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2021
Given 66% while driving a (195/55 R15) on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
Got a set of Kumho ps31 195 55 15 for my Proton Persona VVT 2016.Grip is good for this car but road noise is a bit on the high side.For the price i cant complain but sure to get it again if it can last me for at least 60k km.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on June 18, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Suzuki swift sport (195/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
great value for money. Sidewalls are a little soft but great for comfort. grips well both in Dry and Wet. although ultimate grip is still a little less than the Michelin PS4. But priced at slightly more than half the price of the PS4 in 205/50R16. it is a winner.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on March 3, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Honda Civic Si Sedan (205/50 R16) on mostly town for 100 average miles
I found out about this tire from this site a few months ago and I decided to give it a try. Well, my personal experience with this tire is 8/10, handling on a dry road is intact firmly and no wobble on wet. Highly recommended for those looking for a mid-range tire at the descent price.
Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Toyota Vios (215/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 average miles
Very good UHP tyre. Especially on dry weather driving. More confident driving around 140km/h and above. Still in good grip on wet weather. Overall for RM250 per tyre a good investment.
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on December 30, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Honda City (195/55 R15) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
It is the best UHP tyre you can buy for a very low price. Going around 130km/h in Malaysia’s north south highway with slight drizzling, the tyre’s grip in wet is absolutely amazing. Never failed me once in spirited driving. The only downside is tyre noise which is relatively higher than others.
Helpful 19 - tyre reviewed on October 29, 2020
Given 84% while driving a Daihatsu Perodua Myvi (205/45 R16 W) on mostly town for 700 spirited miles
Quite suprise with the performance on this tyres..Very good dry grip,quite good wet grip as well..very rarely hear tyre squeals,aquaplanning so far is good...never experience losing grip once with this tyres..confident driving above 140km/h..Really worth the money for a non UHP tyres..
Helpful 13 - tyre reviewed on October 8, 2020