Toyo Proxes TR1

The Toyo Proxes TR1 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 35 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 211,016 miles driven.

The Proxes TR1 is ranked 56th of 131 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Toyo Proxes TR1
235/45 R17 97Y XL   E B 70
215/35 R18 84W XL   E B 70
225/40 R18 92Y XL   E B 70

Questions and Answers for the Toyo Proxes TR1

2019-07-19 - Hi I have just received 4 new toyo-tyre proxes All I need to know is are these tyres sided or not Thank you

The Toyo Proxes TR1 is an asymmetric tyre.

2020-11-06 - For a 225/45/17 what is the tread depth? I have always run Uniroyal Rainsport 3/5 but am tempted to go with these if they are of similar tread depth since they are cheaper.

I don't know the exact starting tread depth of the Toyo TR1, however it will certainly be comparable to the Rainsport range.

2021-11-17 - These appear to be a popular mid-range UHP tyre and yet no one has included them in any independent comparison tests. Is there a reason?

I can't speak for other tests, however when I speak with Toyo they're not usually keen to be in tests, and if they are they would likely submit the Toyo T1 Sport for testing in Europe as I believe this tyre is aimed at other markets.

Proxes TR1 Prices

Top 3 Toyo Proxes TR1 Reviews

Given 80% while driving a Renault Clio 1.8 16v (195/45 R15) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
This tyre is difficult to judge on comfort as I ran lowering springs, but I wouldn't say they were in comfortable. When I first purchased some alloy wheels, a had 4 different tyres, tread depths you name it. They were poor. Footing a set of proxes t1r's literally transformed the car. Dry grip was unbelievable, car cornered like a house fly. I later fitted some to a Mégane and that was the same, gave me so much confidence to through a car into a bend and it would hold. Really stable at high speeds as well from the stiffer side walls.
340 - tyre reviewed on March 6, 2019
Given 63% while driving a VW Polo 6R 1.6 TDI Bluemotion (195/55 R15 W) on mostly town for 5,000 spirited miles
My size is very odd in Malaysia so theres little to no performance tyres. I have been on almost 3 sets of ATR Sport. THose things are terrible at wet but great at dry, before 50% used at least. TR1 is great at wet, previously with the same wet road I would just glide lol. TR1 managed to grip and slow me down, impressive. They are both a few bucks different only. I drive a Proton, nothing in the list haha
77 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2020
Given 77% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 10,000 average miles
5 stars
61 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2019
Have you driven on the Toyo Proxes TR1 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Toyo Proxes TR1? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Toyo Proxes TR1 >

Latest Toyo Proxes TR1 Reviews

Given 82% while driving a Suzuki Swift (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Found these very cheap so why not try these out. Road feedback is very good. Dry grip also good. Excellent on wet atleast for when almost new. Can't say these are very comfort oriented but not too bad either. Sound is average I would believe. Definetily recommended tyres. Very good mid range tyre for their price category.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 5, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Toyota Yaris (195/45 R14) on mostly motorways for 33,876 spirited miles
My Yaris with 257.800+ miles was poor In the turns with other tyres, cause the car is not made to make turns and the springs and some parts are stopped to work good. So I changed tyres and tried this Toyo wich works good in the wet and are very comfortable, more than previous tyre sized in 175/65 r14. Handling is ok, not the best and not the worst, but for the price I paid is a good result. The best things about this tyre in my Yaris are the comfort on bad roads and the life very very good.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2021
Given 61% while driving a Honda Jazz (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Both wet and dry grips are good. Aquaplanning is good. But its too noisy i think. And sidewall too soft. But this is the best budget tire you can get if you dont mind about noisy.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 1, 2021
Given 94% while driving a BMW 120i (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Incredibly grippy tyres, both in wet and dry pavement. So much so that it slowed me down in the straight. Handling though has transformed, I drive a 210hp 1 series, and can hardly push those tyres to the limit.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2021
Given 81% while driving a Toyota Celica GT4 (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 2,500 spirited miles
After 2 sets of semi slick tyres on my GT-Four I decided to try something a bit more civilised since I only do 1 track day a year with this car. I couldn't be happier with the decision, I am not mounting a set of semis ever again, they just don't make sense for my application. On public roads these TR1s give pretty much the same grip as a semi, much better and safe in the wet, the ride is way more comfortable and they are pretty quiet, at least in comparison. The highlight though, is the handling. Never before my car has felt so agile and so chuckable in the corners. With these tyres I've learnt the lesson that tyres are not just about sheer grip, but also about handling and feedback, and that's where the TR1s excel. The sidewalls are not the stiffest out there so they require higher pressure than other tyres, especially semis. I'm ok with that, just do some testing and adjust in consequence. During my anual track day they performed beyond expectations. After dropping the tyre pressures for the event, they gave me about 85% of the grip of a hot semi and they were consistent through all the laps. They never seemed to overheat even though I was very playful with the trail braking. It started to rain at the end of the event and thanks to the fact that every one else was running on semis plus the 4WD of my car I managed to outperform much faster cars. After some laps of abuse I was convinced I was destroying them, but I checked after every session and there was no damage whatsoever to the treads except for the usual melted material here and there. This for me was the ice on the cake. When it comes to wear, they are definitely better than a semi but also definitely worse than a regular sumer tire. After 4100km / 2500 miles, which include one track day, I have barely shaved the first mark (there are 5 marks in the shape of a star) which is about 5mm in the most worn area and 6 in the least. I estimate life span of around 20.000km / 15.000 miles, but only time will tell since tyre wear is not necessarily consistent through the compound. So overall I am extremely happy and positively surprised with these Toyos and I would definitely buy them again, especially being much cheaper than other premium brands. They are great for my application however keep in mind tyres are a very subjective topic and some tyres fit some cars better than others.
7 - tyre reviewed on August 10, 2021
BMW (/45 R16) on mostly country roads for 3,300 spirited miles
I have been driving this tyres for two seasons now and gone through two sets. I am driving staggered 195/45 R16 front and 215/40 R16 rear. My E30 has rather aggressive camber setup, but this is not the culprit for quick wear of the tire. Rear tires are done for after less than 6000km/3750mi. Rears lasted 5250km/3300mi before showing no thread depth on the inner shoulder, 2mm were left on the outside shoulder. The fronts last approximately 25% longer, approximately 7500km/4650mi. For the price I am able to get this tire for (approx. 65€/75$ per tire) Tires have good grip and nice feedback when they start sliding, both over front and rear. Biggest culprit is higher wear, but considering the tire size, car power and lack of availability of other tires, there is no tire which would substitute it for twisty backroads.
5 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2021
Given 71% while driving a Daihatsu Perodua Kelisa (165/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Im using this tire near a year. For kcar size, i think it is one of the best offered on the market in term of performance. Did some touge run with a fairly tight corner, this tires sticking very well on the road. Maybe a bit soft on the sidewall. Grip on dry very good, but on wet, i never drive fast.. Any tire will slip on wet road even the great PS4. A bit noisy as the tread pattern is like that. Price in the middle. Not too cheap or too expensive. No hesitate to buy again after this, but i may try advan fleva v701 after this tyre worn. Thanks
2 - tyre reviewed on June 1, 2021
Given 73% while driving a Honda Fit (Jazz) (195/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Fitted to my Honda Jazz. Coved some 3000km already. Previously, on Conti UC6. Compared to the UC6 ,TR1 is slightly queiter and more comfortable. Gripwise also slightly better especially on tight corners.
1 - tyre reviewed on May 13, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Mazda cx5 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
Top quality tyre
3 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Mitsubishi mirage cyborg r (205/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 2,500 spirited miles
Simply put, it's the best looking and performing tyre for its worth. I fitted it for both my cars, both front and back. One is for weekend touge drive another for a spirited daily town drive. Fantastic dry grip and great wet grip. Feels confident.
7 - tyre reviewed on April 18, 2021
Ford Fiesta Zetec S (195/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Overall a very good tyre for a daily driver that likes to use the loud pedal. Very good grip in the dry and I really did push it around some country roads. Wet grip isn’t something to shout about but also isn’t something to complain about. Quite an easy tyre to predict and gives good road feedback. One thing to note and I may have just been unlucky in the two years i’ve had my car i’ve only ever had 2 punctures and they’ve both been on these tyres . (Previous tyres were very hard compound budgets where the Toyos are quite a soft compound in comparison which could make them easier to puncture). Would definitely purchase them again as for around £60 a tyre for my size is a very good deal for the performance they deliver.
5 - tyre reviewed on April 3, 2021
Given 79% while driving a Citroën Xsara Coupe 2.0 HDI 90 (195/55 R15 V) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Comming from Sava Intensa HP i got when i bought new VTS rims at 70% wear i can say it's a big upgrade. The Sava were ok on the dry but terrible on the wet and impossible to wear down as they were so hard. So after 2 seasons i had enough and bought 4 new Toyo TR1 for 210€ (very cheap) because they were the sportier tyre in my size (against Rainsport 5) and i am very pleased with them. The dry grip feel is very good even if we are clearly not in the same league as UHP tyres like michelin PS4. The wet grip is pretty good but it's clearly a tire made to perform the best in the dry. The soft compound was disturbing at first as it was inducing a bit of a delay when steering and reducing a little bit the feel (even if there isn't much feel to start with because of the car settings) but after some times i got the confidence to "throw" the car in the corners thanks to the tyre being very progressive. On this note i do not go on track with the car (90hp diesel please T.T) but i feel that with the softness of the compound it will overheat pretty fast. You can have some early sign of this on long mountain roads when driving hard in the summer. For noise i'd say it's okay but i doesn't matter to me so i did not pay attention. Fuel consumption is worse than the Sava (they were rock hard so no surprise there) by 0,4l/100km it felt a little draggy at first but that's a price i'm willing to pay to be able to take corners. And about the wear after 1 season (50 hard driving mountain roads + some calm highway and country roads) they wore down 20-25% at the front (especially the sides) and 5-10% at the rear.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2021