Toyo Proxes TR1

The Toyo Proxes TR1 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 43 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 454,416 miles driven.

The Proxes TR1 is ranked 60th of 137 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Toyo Proxes TR1

235/45 R17 97Y XL   E B 70
215/35 R18 84W XL   E B 70
225/40 R18 92Y XL   E B 70

Questions and Answers for the Toyo Proxes TR1

2019-07-19 - Hi I have just received 4 new toyo-tyre proxes All I need to know is are these tyres sided or not Thank you

The Toyo Proxes TR1 is an asymmetric tyre.

2020-11-06 - For a 225/45/17 what is the tread depth? I have always run Uniroyal Rainsport 3/5 but am tempted to go with these if they are of similar tread depth since they are cheaper.

I don't know the exact starting tread depth of the Toyo TR1, however it will certainly be comparable to the Rainsport range.

2021-11-17 - These appear to be a popular mid-range UHP tyre and yet no one has included them in any independent comparison tests. Is there a reason?

I can't speak for other tests, however when I speak with Toyo they're not usually keen to be in tests, and if they are they would likely submit the Toyo T1 Sport for testing in Europe as I believe this tyre is aimed at other markets.

Proxes TR1 Prices

Top 3 Toyo Proxes TR1 Reviews

Given 80% while driving a Renault Clio 1.8 16v (195/45 R15) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
This tyre is difficult to judge on comfort as I ran lowering springs, but I wouldn't say they were in comfortable. When I first purchased some alloy wheels, a had 4 different tyres, tread depths you name it. They were poor. Footing a set of proxes t1r's literally transformed the car. Dry grip was unbelievable, car cornered like a house fly. I later fitted some to a Mégane and that was the same, gave me so much confidence to through a car into a bend and it would hold. Really stable at high speeds as well from the stiffer side walls.
Helpful 354 - tyre reviewed on March 6, 2019
Given 63% while driving a VW Polo 6R 1.6 TDI Bluemotion (195/55 R15 W) on mostly town for 5,000 spirited miles
My size is very odd in Malaysia so theres little to no performance tyres. I have been on almost 3 sets of ATR Sport. THose things are terrible at wet but great at dry, before 50% used at least. TR1 is great at wet, previously with the same wet road I would just glide lol. TR1 managed to grip and slow me down, impressive. They are both a few bucks different only. I drive a Proton, nothing in the list haha
Helpful 93 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2020
Given 77% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 10,000 average miles
5 stars
Helpful 75 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2019
Have you driven on the Toyo Proxes TR1 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Toyo Proxes TR1? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Toyo Proxes TR1 >

Latest Toyo Proxes TR1 Reviews

Given 74% while driving a Mazda MX5 (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Tl;dr the TR1 is truly a valid tyre, especially considering how fairly they are priced. To get in more detail, I recommend them because of the great price/performance ratio: I now have the Michelin PS3 that are a bit better grip-wise, but at a certain cost (440€ vs 250€ for the set) and I didn't notice critical flaws on the Toyos: to be picky they may not satisfy the most aggressive or skilled driver, since at the limit they are balanced toward a safe but quite understeery behaviour, which is more noticeable on wet surfaces. In general, I'd say they work a better on dry conditions, since they are more progressive: while being far from being dangerous, on wet surfaces they were a tiny bit more snappy on the reactions. Comfort and noise levels were good. Also, they lasted quite a bit for my standard and until the end they maintained good levels of grip, which is surely a thing to keep in mind. Can't talk about a very long time period (1 year), so I didn't test how the compound reacted over ageing, but I can say that intense use did not have an effect on the grip levels: even after they went through some intense heat-cycle during a track day (something that basically killed the grip on other tyres I had in the past) they were fine.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on June 8, 2022
Given 90% while driving a Toyota Vios (195/55 R15) on mostly town for 100 average miles
Superb tyre. Feel confident around the corner and braking. Very comfortable around bumps and uneven road. Not sure about the wear and tear as it is still new. The fuel efficiency also yet to be reviewed.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on May 11, 2022
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 66% while driving a Mazda 2 1.5 sport (195/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 7,000 average miles
I've had these tyres for 5 months and in that time I have done a fair bit of backroad driving, I wouldn't say they are going to change the tyre world with a cheap performance tyre but I would say paired with coilovers its a very good cheap combo, I recently did a video and I did a bit of b road driving, to say I took some tightish corners at the national speed which shows I have the confidence in these tyres, there was a little bit of understeer but nothing crazy and you could hear struggling at some points but for the price what can you expect. in the wet I don't drive like I normal do, I don't have the faith in the wet, might be personal preference. I have had no problems with wear so cant comment on that, the tyres are comfortable but im on coilovers and very low so doesn't help
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on May 9, 2022
Given 77% while driving a (205/45 R17) on mostly town for 190,000 average miles
Previously my car had a set of Landsail LS588, for 2 years then decided to upgrade. The best for my Proton Satria Neo so far.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2022
Given 100% while driving a Mercedes Benz A250 AMG Sport (235/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
At first i was going for PS4 or the MC6, but with the covid19, budget is quite tight. I went for the TR1 because of the price and love the tread pattern. Seriously, i have not regret it ever since. Dry grip is superb. Wet grip is also nice, no more skidding like my previous pirelli p7. Comfortable and i dont notice any extra noise from the tires as well. No hydroplane. No problem handling my 2.0 turbo hatchback. I would definitely buy these tires again. Good price, superb performance. kudos to Toyo.
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on March 3, 2022
Given 86% while driving a Dacia Logan (195/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 30,000 average miles
The first time i put these tires on my car i was surprised on how good the car suddenly started handling. Way more steering feel, very good grip in the dry and wet and very decent noise level. For the money, would definetly buy them again.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on February 7, 2022
Given 79% while driving a MG 6 (225/45 R17) on for 300 spirited miles
I had to smile when someone said these tyres were not as good as Michelin sports? Well please try to compare cheese, with cheese. The Michelin are almost twice the price, get real sport. I brought these for a little sports car, with a 1.6 engine, two seater. 195/45 r16 front. 215/40 r16 back. They allow me to drive to the limit of my abilities in the dry, like most rear wheel sports cars, you have to be steady in the wet. The new TR1 have much thicker walls that aid stability, they will not last as long as Michelin, but when the Michelin are half worn, I'll buy another set of Toyo.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on January 27, 2022
Given 82% while driving a Suzuki Swift (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Found these very cheap so why not try these out. Road feedback is very good. Dry grip also good. Excellent on wet atleast for when almost new. Can't say these are very comfort oriented but not too bad either. Sound is average I would believe. Definetily recommended tyres. Very good mid range tyre for their price category.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on November 5, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Toyota Yaris (195/45 R14) on mostly motorways for 33,876 spirited miles
My Yaris with 257.800+ miles was poor In the turns with other tyres, cause the car is not made to make turns and the springs and some parts are stopped to work good. So I changed tyres and tried this Toyo wich works good in the wet and are very comfortable, more than previous tyre sized in 175/65 r14. Handling is ok, not the best and not the worst, but for the price I paid is a good result. The best things about this tyre in my Yaris are the comfort on bad roads and the life very very good.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2021
Given 61% while driving a Honda Jazz (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Both wet and dry grips are good. Aquaplanning is good. But its too noisy i think. And sidewall too soft. But this is the best budget tire you can get if you dont mind about noisy.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 1, 2021
Given 94% while driving a BMW 120i (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Incredibly grippy tyres, both in wet and dry pavement. So much so that it slowed me down in the straight. Handling though has transformed, I drive a 210hp 1 series, and can hardly push those tyres to the limit.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on October 26, 2021
Given 81% while driving a Toyota Celica GT4 (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 2,500 spirited miles
After 2 sets of semi slick tyres on my GT-Four I decided to try something a bit more civilised since I only do 1 track day a year with this car. I couldn't be happier with the decision, I am not mounting a set of semis ever again, they just don't make sense for my application. On public roads these TR1s give pretty much the same grip as a semi, much better and safe in the wet, the ride is way more comfortable and they are pretty quiet, at least in comparison. The highlight though, is the handling. Never before my car has felt so agile and so chuckable in the corners. With these tyres I've learnt the lesson that tyres are not just about sheer grip, but also about handling and feedback, and that's where the TR1s excel. The sidewalls are not the stiffest out there so they require higher pressure than other tyres, especially semis. I'm ok with that, just do some testing and adjust in consequence. During my anual track day they performed beyond expectations. After dropping the tyre pressures for the event, they gave me about 85% of the grip of a hot semi and they were consistent through all the laps. They never seemed to overheat even though I was very playful with the trail braking. It started to rain at the end of the event and thanks to the fact that every one else was running on semis plus the 4WD of my car I managed to outperform much faster cars. After some laps of abuse I was convinced I was destroying them, but I checked after every session and there was no damage whatsoever to the treads except for the usual melted material here and there. This for me was the ice on the cake. When it comes to wear, they are definitely better than a semi but also definitely worse than a regular sumer tire. After 4100km / 2500 miles, which include one track day, I have barely shaved the first mark (there are 5 marks in the shape of a star) which is about 5mm in the most worn area and 6 in the least. I estimate life span of around 20.000km / 15.000 miles, but only time will tell since tyre wear is not necessarily consistent through the compound. So overall I am extremely happy and positively surprised with these Toyos and I would definitely buy them again, especially being much cheaper than other premium brands. They are great for my application however keep in mind tyres are a very subjective topic and some tyres fit some cars better than others.
Helpful 15 - tyre reviewed on August 10, 2021