Kumho Ecsta PS71

The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 50 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 383,515 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS71 is ranked 57th of 140 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

2023 AutoBild UHP Summer Tyre Test - 5th of 21 tyres

• Positive - Balanced high performance potential, good handling qualities, short wet and dry braking distances, fair price.
  • Negative - Increased driving noise.

2023 Summer Tyre Market Overview - 12th of 48 tyres

2022 Tyre Reviews UUHP Summer Tyre Test - 6th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Highest aquaplaning resistance on test, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Poor grip in the dry and wet.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta PS71 seems to have put all its eggs in the deep water basket, where it excelled, however a tyre needs to perform well in more than a single category, and unfortunately the PS71 struggled in the dry and wet, in both braking and handling.

2023 Tyre Tests

• 5th: 2023 AutoBild UHP Summer Tyre Test (225/45 R18)
  • 12th: 2023 Summer Tyre Market Overview (225/45 R18)
  • 2022 Tyre Tests

• 6th: 2022 Tyre Reviews UUHP Summer Tyre Test (255/35 R19)
  • 2021 Tyre Tests

• 3rd: 2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 225/50 R17 (225/50 R17)
  • 2020 Tyre Tests

• 5th: 2020 Tyre Market Overview Braking Test (245/45 R18)
  • 9th: 2020 ADAC 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test (225/40 R18)
  • 17th: 2020 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test (245/45 R18)
  • 2019 Tyre Tests

• 18th: 2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout (225/45 R17)
  • 20th: 2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test (225/45 R17)
  • 2018 Tyre Tests

• 2nd: 2018 Ace 235/45 R18 Summer Tyre Test (235/45 R18)
  • 7th: 2018 Auto Bild 20 inch UHP Tyre Test (245/30 R20)
  • 8th: 2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test (225/45 R17)
  • Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

2019-08-19 - Which pressure do You recommend for track. I use 2.9 kg on road.

Start with your road pressure and keep adjusting back to it as the tyres heat up, then you can balance the car once everything is warm.

2021-05-14 - Hi! Is PS71 or PS91 better for a use on a Hobby-car only in the summer? The rim is 8x18 and the car is an Alfa Romeo Spider MY2001.

I would say the PS91 is the more sport focused and newer pattern, however if it's a summer only hobby car you could also consider something like the Cup 2.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 83% while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
    same kumho problem... balancing & egg shape. 245/45/18 100Y XL
    I've always used kumho because the price well reflects in proformance if only they didn't need constant rebalencing.
    I've had 4 duff pairs, ku31 x 2 pair, ku 39 x 2 pair that had to come off in the end they were so bad.
    No amount of balencing can sort an egg shape tyre.
    These new ps71 are very soft, squishy, feel like running on 20psi with 30g wheel wobble even after twice rebalencing them & 1 of them is egg shape.
    I am worn out with trying to get them right & think after years of kumho on various different cars I'm giving up on them.
    Changing to Dunlop.
    I always feel bad going back to the shop to moan they must think it's me lol but kumho have let themselves down & I will say so.
    PS71 is more expensive, lower spec & lower quality, not for me, I like a tyre to be not thought about coz it's getting on with it's job instead of feeling there's a 60mph side wind blowing me around & the steering wheel hammering out of ny hands not to mention the amount spent on rebalencing & hanging around tyre shop waiting for my turn.
    Helpful 247 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017
    Given 69% while driving a Citroën Xantia 1,8 16v (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
    And the same Kumho problems with Me.. balancing & egg shape. 215/45/17 91Y XL
    I've often used Kumho Ecsta PS31 ,because have a chance to do it and they didn't need constant rebalencing.
    These Kumho Ecsta PS71 are something different.
    You will get "massage" , "constant lane change warning function" and sunshade vibrations for free.
    Avoid buying them!
    Helpful 53 - tyre reviewed on May 29, 2017
    Given 100% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
    Very very good tired. Higly recomanded.
    Helpful 49 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2019
    Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS71 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS71? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS71 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 72% while driving a Hyundai Tucson (245/45 R19) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
    They aren't the greatest tyres I've ever had on a car - but I have these on my Tucson that is used predominantly for road trips in mixed weather and they handle amazingly well in the rain.. - In scenarios where I am convinced I would aquaplane in my other car - these things cut through the water and keep their grip. Took the car around Europe and around the Scottish coasts and just exuded confidence in extreme rain conditions. Not a snow tyre.. - but I carry road chains for Alpine driving in snow and these tyres take the chains well.. - So not terribly worried about this. In terms of dry use: Nothing special, but decent for the price.. - Have only done 8000 miles and wear seems OK...
    Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on March 22, 2023
    Given 90% while driving a Alfa Romeo MiTo (215/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 200 spirited miles
    Only traveled 200 kilometers so far but at this stage they are a fantastic tyre, replace all 4 for Kuhmo ps71, very quite , nice ride definitely improved over worn conti 5 on the front and Bridgestone on the rear, grip is great in the hot weather so far weve had, will update in a few months with some more ks on them
    Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on February 7, 2023
    All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
    Given 74% while driving a Ford Fiesta ST180 (205/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 60,000 spirited miles
    Got the car with kumho tires on it. Done 40k km with them and they were great. Changed them for Goodyear's... In the dry they had almost the same grip as Goodyear but in the wet they are ok for normal driving but not spirited.
    Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on December 7, 2022
    Given 44% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 9,000 easy going miles
    Fitted a full set of 4 Kumho PS71 tyres and within 9000 miles the fronts were worn down to the minimum depth marker, the two rears whilst still having legal tread depth created a droning noise similar to that of worn wheel bearings, infact I had the car checked in case it was the rear hub bearings that were creating the noise but advised it was the rear tyres....changed the whole set to another brand and the noise stopped. Wouldnt by these Ecsta PS71 ever again, I've run other Kumho tyre models mostly without issue but they just didnt get the PS71 right as far as i'm concerned.
    Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on December 2, 2022
    Given 87% while driving a Audi A6 Avant S Line Le Mans Quattro 3.0TDi (255/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 26,000 spirited miles
    Fantastic levels of grip in both wet and dry conditions. With the A6 3.0 Quattro you really have to be doing something silly to exceed the limits of grip on the road that these tyres offer. They've been fitted to the car for 26,000 miles and have just dropped below 2mm tread on the rear tyres in the centre. They were not good in the snow as can be expected from a summer tyre.
    Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2022
    Given 63% while driving a Volvo S60 Polestar (235/40 R19) on a combination of roads for 19,000 average miles
    My car is a performance sports car (Volvo S60 Polestar) with hard suspension, monster brakes, and strong power. I love occasionally hitting it or throwing it around a corner. In the dry, the tyres are quite good with good turn in, good braking, predictable to a point. At the limit it lets go a little quickly. And it doesn't like rapid direction changes at high speeds. I've lost grip in the wet a few times which is a limiting factor. Overall - good mid range performance. Decent value for money. I won't buy again for my sports car but would consider them for a less sporty car like my Passat CC V6 AWD
    Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2022
    Given 90% while driving a BMW 520d M Sport (275/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
    PS71 for staggered setup on BMW 5 Series on 19” alloys. Just about a 1,000 miles in and were an excellent purchase decision. Good high speed stability within limits, sharp cornering and nice balance between sportiness and motorway ride comfort. Nice sidewall design and looks nice following a detail. No issues in the wet or dry, stops well in both conditions and very happy.
    Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on June 30, 2022
    Given 83% while driving a Skoda (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 14,000 easy going miles
    These tyres came with the car from new and I feel they are good tyres let down by below average comfort.
    Helpful 11 - tyre reviewed on June 18, 2022
    SEAT (215/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 3,000 easy going miles
    Had SEAT Alhambra 2006 nearly 10 years. Had previously Dunlop Blue response, Nokian and Semperit winter tyres. By comparison the Kumhos represent good value. They seem to grip well in the wet and OK in the dry compared with the others. The SEAT biggest weakness in my eyes, well ears is the lack of isolation from road 'noise'. The Kumhos do not seem any better or worse in transmitting this din. However the Kumhos do seem to affect the steering now that I have moved them to the front. I feel like I have lost steering sensitivity. The SEATs have a delicacy around straight ahead position that few modern cars can match but this has been lost slightly. It's as if the is a stiffness in the tyre tread that makes them reluctant to change direction. Unfortunately this also seems to me more aware of the tyres wanting to 'follow' camber too with conscious corrections I didn't notice with the Nokians on.
    Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on May 20, 2022
    Given 79% while driving a BMW 320D (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
    Great tyre for the price. All I can say it’s good. I bought the car with this tyre on. So the tyre had a few months left... but I enjoyed every bit of it... Not best in grip and thats why the wear is so good, but a perfect fit for a average driver or even for a person who likes oversteer now and then... But its a good tyre
    Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2022
    Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2022
    Given 82% while driving a Opel Astra J 1.4 turbo (215/50 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,500 average miles
    I have driven around 2000 km of mixed conditions with these tyres, mostly on motorways and a little bit of country roads and I can now rate them quite accurately. I mostly drive at speed limit, and sometimes spirited on empty roads. When I got them, I noticed they are made in Korea and the product quality is good regarding the reasonable price. Firstly I would like to mention the strengths of these tyres. I would rate them as quite comfortable as they really smooth out sharper irregularities of the road. Noticeably better than my old Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres. Grip on dry is very good and excellent in wet, they always feel secure and predictable. Progressiveness is very good and even on Astra J, where the steering feel is numb, you get good road feedback. As with all tyres there are some downsides. I was really expecting the tyres to be sportier as they are in the UHP category and they do have a decent sidewall thickness, but when you start to push through the corners, they let you know they are more touring tyres. At hard cornering they get loud and sidewalls give in a bit too much to be regarded a fun tyre. Maybe they suit more sportier and lighter vehicles. On rough roads they can also be a little loud, but it is not an annoying sound. I have also noticed that in cold weather (around 0-5 Celsius), they get a bit egg shaped overnight and need a few kilometres for them to become round again. Never experienced that so far and it is somewhat annoying. To sum things up, if you can get them much cheaper than premium brands (like I did), I would recommend them. I think for mostly sporty driving there are better options, but they do a very good job for a daily driver.
    Helpful 12 - tyre reviewed on April 19, 2022