Kumho Ecsta PS71

The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 41 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 243,315 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS71 is ranked 55th of 136 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

2022 Tyre Reviews UUHP Summer Tyre Test - 6th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Highest aquaplaning resistance on test, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Poor grip in the dry and wet.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta PS71 seems to have put all its eggs in the deep water basket, where it excelled, however a tyre needs to perform well in more than a single category, and unfortunately the PS71 struggled in the dry and wet, in both braking and handling.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 225/50 R17 - 3rd of 17 tyres

• Positive - Very balanced, especially good in the wet.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is the best tyre in aquaplaning testing, but only has average wet braking. In the dry it's a stable tyre. Average noise, fuel consumption and wear.

2020 ADAC 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good in the wet
  • Negative - Relatively high wear
  • Overall - Recommended
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

2019-08-19 - Which pressure do You recommend for track. I use 2.9 kg on road.

Start with your road pressure and keep adjusting back to it as the tyres heat up, then you can balance the car once everything is warm.

2021-05-14 - Hi! Is PS71 or PS91 better for a use on a Hobby-car only in the summer? The rim is 8x18 and the car is an Alfa Romeo Spider MY2001.

I would say the PS91 is the more sport focused and newer pattern, however if it's a summer only hobby car you could also consider something like the Cup 2.

Ecsta PS71 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 83% while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
same kumho problem... balancing & egg shape. 245/45/18 100Y XL
I've always used kumho because the price well reflects in proformance if only they didn't need constant rebalencing.
I've had 4 duff pairs, ku31 x 2 pair, ku 39 x 2 pair that had to come off in the end they were so bad.
No amount of balencing can sort an egg shape tyre.
These new ps71 are very soft, squishy, feel like running on 20psi with 30g wheel wobble even after twice rebalencing them & 1 of them is egg shape.
I am worn out with trying to get them right & think after years of kumho on various different cars I'm giving up on them.
Changing to Dunlop.
I always feel bad going back to the shop to moan they must think it's me lol but kumho have let themselves down & I will say so.
PS71 is more expensive, lower spec & lower quality, not for me, I like a tyre to be not thought about coz it's getting on with it's job instead of feeling there's a 60mph side wind blowing me around & the steering wheel hammering out of ny hands not to mention the amount spent on rebalencing & hanging around tyre shop waiting for my turn.
236 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017
Given 69% while driving a Citroën Xantia 1,8 16v (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
And the same Kumho problems with Me.. balancing & egg shape. 215/45/17 91Y XL
I've often used Kumho Ecsta PS31 ,because have a chance to do it and they didn't need constant rebalencing.
These Kumho Ecsta PS71 are something different.
You will get "massage" , "constant lane change warning function" and sunshade vibrations for free.
Avoid buying them!
43 - tyre reviewed on May 29, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Very very good tired. Higly recomanded.
38 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2019
Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS71 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS71? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS71 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 79% while driving a BMW 320D (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 10,000 spirited miles
Great tyre for the price. All I can say it’s good. I bought the car with this tyre on. So the tyre had a few months left... but I enjoyed every bit of it... Not best in grip and thats why the wear is so good, but a perfect fit for a average driver or even for a person who likes oversteer now and then... But its a good tyre
1 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2022
0 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2022
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 82% while driving a Opel Astra J 1.4 turbo (215/50 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,500 average miles
I have driven around 2000 km of mixed conditions with these tyres, mostly on motorways and a little bit of country roads and I can now rate them quite accurately. I mostly drive at speed limit, and sometimes spirited on empty roads. When I got them, I noticed they are made in Korea and the product quality is good regarding the reasonable price. Firstly I would like to mention the strengths of these tyres. I would rate them as quite comfortable as they really smooth out sharper irregularities of the road. Noticeably better than my old Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres. Grip on dry is very good and excellent in wet, they always feel secure and predictable. Progressiveness is very good and even on Astra J, where the steering feel is numb, you get good road feedback. As with all tyres there are some downsides. I was really expecting the tyres to be sportier as they are in the UHP category and they do have a decent sidewall thickness, but when you start to push through the corners, they let you know they are more touring tyres. At hard cornering they get loud and sidewalls give in a bit too much to be regarded a fun tyre. Maybe they suit more sportier and lighter vehicles. On rough roads they can also be a little loud, but it is not an annoying sound. I have also noticed that in cold weather (around 0-5 Celsius), they get a bit egg shaped overnight and need a few kilometres for them to become round again. Never experienced that so far and it is somewhat annoying. To sum things up, if you can get them much cheaper than premium brands (like I did), I would recommend them. I think for mostly sporty driving there are better options, but they do a very good job for a daily driver.
1 - tyre reviewed on April 19, 2022
Given 60% while driving a Mercedes Benz W221 S350 Long (255/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 16,000 easy going miles
Fitted these tyres onto my black Mercedes S class on 25 January 2020 with, I assume, 8-9mm of tread. Just had car serviced, March 2022, & advised that tread depth now 1.9/2.1mm after 16,000 miles!!!!! They are on the rear & it's rwd BUT in January 2020 I was 73, not a boy racer. Oh, this is a high day/holiday car plus works as a funeral vehicle. I have another "banger" for general use/car park pings & dings! So, mostly driving reverently or motorway distances, (France/Germany). OK, on motorways abroad, when traffic permits, I'm cruising at 80/85mph, but surely that should be the easy bit for a tyre. Anyway, as they're on the back, they felt fine but I've clearly left a 16,000 mile skid mark behind me! Advice, don't touch them with a barge pole, I won't again.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 17, 2022
Given 97% while driving a Ford Focus (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Nice grip. Confident in wet weather specially regarding cornering and puddles. Rim protectors could be bigger. No problem with the balancing or egg shape here refered. If you look deeper on tests and forum probably the ps71 has gone through important updates (my tyre says PS71 "2"; made in korea) Very good tyre.
10 - tyre reviewed on December 31, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (215/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 3,000 average miles
Very stable tyre. Great feedback and handling. Very good price for the size. Too soon to tell anything About the wear.
3 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2021
Vauxhall (235/50 R18) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Changed to Kumho PS71 from the excellent Continental Premium Contact. Price decision 40% cheaper. Best decision made, wear rate better dry handling more predictable on limit, wet handling no noticeable difference perhaps a little bit more road noise but thats very subjective. Overall very pleased had no balance issues seen on other reviews, seems to have quite stiff sidewall construction keeping tyre firmly positioned on surface feels very safe at all speeds and believe me it's driven in a very very spirited way. Would definitely buy again.
5 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2021
Given 71% while driving a MINI R56 Factory John Cooper Works (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I have a set of these in runflat on a '13 Mini cooper JCW. They stick very well in the dry, you have to be really pushing to get understeer. In the wet they will easily spin up a wheel under full throttle in 2nd, but cornering is very confidence inspiring. My dislike is that these tyres cause the car to wander on the road quite badly, following dips and camber and needing steering correction, this may be because I have the runflat version. They are also quite noisy especially on less perfect surfaces, again may be because of runflat. Will be replacing them with pilot sport 4, but I am happy with the performance/price.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2021
Given 97% while driving a Holden Ute SS (265/35 R19) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Look good handle well especially at the limit, plenty of feedback from tyres
3 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2021
Given 92% while driving a Honda Accord (245/40 R18) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
I got the kumho PS71 tires for my Honda Accord Coupe. And I absolutely love them. Kumho has very good reputation in the tire industry and this is definitely no exception. The tires handle extremely well. And they cannot believe how quiet they are on the road.
6 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2021
Given 66% while driving a Opel ASTRA H 1.6 TURBO (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I bought this tires for the front of my car, I had some Hankook S1 Evo2 at the end of their life, and decide to go for this tires after see some good comments, But there really not that amazing. They are good tires if you just want to make kms... They grip ok, but if you like to drive in the mountains and as fast as possible, and not the best choice. I changed to the Hankook S1 Evo3, they are not that expensive and are much better. I give than a 8/10 for daily drive 6/10 for sporty drive.
5 - tyre reviewed on July 23, 2021
Given 89% while driving a Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line (245/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 30 spirited miles
Loads of grip in the wet and dry I've never been able to loose traction on these tyres until they're worn out. Aquaplaning is something of the past with these tyres. They're a bit noisy and car be a bit rough on back roads especially in the South of Ireland where the council can't be bothered to fix any road that isn't a Motor-way to Dublin. The tyres are also very predictable, they handle extremely well to the point you can make it around the harshest of turns on a main road at at least 80mph without breaking a sweat. My front tyres were baldy after 9 months which is pretty good considering I do roughly 40,000 miles a year and I have a pretty heavy foot. Id recommend these tyres to anyone who enjoys driving a bit over the speed limit and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg for good performance tyres. They truly are the best budget performance tyre that'll still beat expensive performance tyres.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 3, 2021