Kumho Ecsta PS71

The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 28 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 158,785 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS71 is ranked 55th of 130 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 225/50 R17 - 3rd of 17 tyres

• Positive - Very balanced, especially good in the wet.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is the best tyre in aquaplaning testing, but only has average wet braking. In the dry it's a stable tyre. Average noise, fuel consumption and wear.

2020 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 17th of 20 tyres

• Positive - Good aquaplaning resistance, short wet braking.
  • Negative - Understeer in the dry, average wear, high fuel use.
  • Overall - Conditionally Recommended.

2020 ADAC 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good in the wet
  • Negative - Relatively high wear
  • Overall - Recommended
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

2019-08-19 - Which pressure do You recommend for track. I use 2.9 kg on road.

Start with your road pressure and keep adjusting back to it as the tyres heat up, then you can balance the car once everything is warm.

2021-05-14 - Hi! Is PS71 or PS91 better for a use on a Hobby-car only in the summer? The rim is 8x18 and the car is an Alfa Romeo Spider MY2001.

I would say the PS91 is the more sport focused and newer pattern, however if it's a summer only hobby car you could also consider something like the Cup 2.

Ecsta PS71 Prices

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 83% while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
same kumho problem... balancing & egg shape. 245/45/18 100Y XL
I've always used kumho because the price well reflects in proformance if only they didn't need constant rebalencing.
I've had 4 duff pairs, ku31 x 2 pair, ku 39 x 2 pair that had to come off in the end they were so bad.
No amount of balencing can sort an egg shape tyre.
These new ps71 are very soft, squishy, feel like running on 20psi with 30g wheel wobble even after twice rebalencing them & 1 of them is egg shape.
I am worn out with trying to get them right & think after years of kumho on various different cars I'm giving up on them.
Changing to Dunlop.
I always feel bad going back to the shop to moan they must think it's me lol but kumho have let themselves down & I will say so.
PS71 is more expensive, lower spec & lower quality, not for me, I like a tyre to be not thought about coz it's getting on with it's job instead of feeling there's a 60mph side wind blowing me around & the steering wheel hammering out of ny hands not to mention the amount spent on rebalencing & hanging around tyre shop waiting for my turn.
215 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017
Given 69% while driving a Citroën Xantia 1,8 16v (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
And the same Kumho problems with Me.. balancing & egg shape. 215/45/17 91Y XL
I've often used Kumho Ecsta PS31 ,because have a chance to do it and they didn't need constant rebalencing.
These Kumho Ecsta PS71 are something different.
You will get "massage" , "constant lane change warning function" and sunshade vibrations for free.
Avoid buying them!
28 - tyre reviewed on May 29, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Very very good tired. Higly recomanded.
23 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2019
Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS71 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS71? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS71 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 400 spirited miles
Had crappy budget tyres on before. Made the switch to these because they were a good price. Car feels so much better now. Great grip around corners in wet and dry, car feels much more fun and safer to drive now
0 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2021
Given 84% while driving a Volkswagen CC (255/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 5,000 spirited miles
I consider that they are incredible tires, what surprised me the most was on the road I put them to the test with all my driving skills for more than 20 years and I was really surprised how good they feel, it was dry and wet from 100 miles to 150 miles per hour for 3 hours was amazing.
2 - tyre reviewed on April 10, 2021
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 71% while driving a BMW 320d touring (255/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 9,000 spirited miles
They were very grippy tyres that wore evenly. I wouldn’t buy again because the rear left was finished after 9,000 miles.
2 - tyre reviewed on December 20, 2020
Given 84% while driving a Ford Mustang gt (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
When I bought a car the previous owner had put Kumho PS71 on. I was sceptical at first but they are pretty sticky and suit the car pretty well. Pretty predictable. Never stepped out on me unexpectedly. Solid turn in response. No unexpected understeer. Wet performance was surprisingly good, never had any moments. Relatively loud, but nothing terrible. Have bought again.
11 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
I drove with this tyres in a combination of road. First on the highway (about 10.000 km) and then in the city and and the surroundings (about 7.000 km). Wear was a little higher on the highway, about 15%, compared to mixed driving.
After 17-18.000 km the tyres have about 5.5-6.2 mm remaining, from 8.5 mm as they had at purchase, which is ok for a UHP tire and the quality in road.

I had no problems with them in terms of balance, even when you can switch between them (face with back after 10.000 km).

I am not the most sporty driver but I do not drive like an old man :D , so for my needs they are excellent, never gave me emotions.

The only complaint is that they are a bit noisy for my taste, especially when they are cold. If they did not have this minus, I would not have considered another tire.

Finally;

They are absolut great for those people who not drive in the rally race, or those who pushing to the limit their car, but with the minus about the noise, could be a litter better.

16 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2020
Given 50% while driving a Skoda Octavia vRS (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Purchased these Kumho’s to try something different, I usual use Conti, Dunlop or Bridgestone.

I found them average in the dry but shocking in the wet. They did not like any patches of water and pulled the car into water spots but then in the dry they felt like any other tyre driving normal but did not take long to reach the limits when driving hard.

I will be going back to my normal choice next time.
13 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2019
Given 86% while driving a Honda Civic SI Coupe (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 0 average miles
Amazing tires, they work really well. Highly recommended
17 - tyre reviewed on August 7, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Volkswagen Golk Mk5 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Best tyre for that price! Love it
8 - tyre reviewed on July 14, 2019
Given 79% while driving a BMW 335d (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Excellent tyres. Cannot fault in the wet or dry. Will be buying again after my first 8 tyres wear out (on separate high power 2 cars).

Not the most comfortable tyre but then again I run high tyre pressures, the price/cost is excellent and noise levels are perfectly fine to me.

Car is nigh on 380 bhp in power and very close to 553 lb/ft torque and these tyres are great for the price.
15 - tyre reviewed on June 15, 2019
Given 90% while driving a (275/40 R19) on mostly town for 1,000 spirited miles
So far lived up to what I was hoping for. On my 2017 GT Mustang automatic I always had trouble with the Pirelli P Zero on the rears hooking up with the road under power , even at 80 km/h hitting the pedal to the metal. Also always broke traction with a light part acceleration. The Kumho PS 71 had not yet broke traction under full pedal to the metal at 60 and 80 km/h , even in sports mode. They also launch well with a slight push where the pirellis spun up. Pirellis were only good on hot days where the Kumho PS71 grip at cold nights already off the mark. Don’t know how long they will last , They seem quiet to me. I run 32 psi cold before driving. Pirellis only lasted 17,000 km on the rears,
6 - tyre reviewed on June 14, 2019
Given 99% while driving a Nissan Qashqai (225/45 R19) on mostly motorways for 14,732 average miles
Cheap and reliable the most important things is it last far longer than my stock 225/45/19 Continental Sport Contact 6 tyres. The Continental Sport Contact 6 lasted me only 15,000 miles, while my Kumho Ecsta PS71 still have 60% left after 17,000 miles. Great responsive handling and reliable during raining days. The only setback of this Kumho Ecsta PS71 have compared to Continental Sport Contact 6 is the noise level. But for the price and performance of this tyre is definitely a good buy. First time trying Kumho tyres and it had really build up my trust in this korea made tyre.
4 - tyre reviewed on June 4, 2019
Given 93% while driving a BMW 525 (275/35 R20) on mostly country roads for 17,380 spirited miles
Superb dry and wet grip tyre. Nothing much to complaint about, very good tyre. Fitted on my bmw 525 series, Kumho handles my car exceptionally well compared to Yokohama tyres which fail to brake in time during during days.
7 - tyre reviewed on June 3, 2019