Kumho Ecsta PS71

The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is a Ultra High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 35 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 192,815 miles driven.

The Ecsta PS71 is ranked 51st of 130 Summer Ultra High Performance tyres.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 225/50 R17 - 3rd of 17 tyres

• Positive - Very balanced, especially good in the wet.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta PS71 is the best tyre in aquaplaning testing, but only has average wet braking. In the dry it's a stable tyre. Average noise, fuel consumption and wear.

2020 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 17th of 20 tyres

• Positive - Good aquaplaning resistance, short wet braking.
  • Negative - Understeer in the dry, average wear, high fuel use.
  • Overall - Conditionally Recommended.

2020 ADAC 18 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good in the wet
  • Negative - Relatively high wear
  • Overall - Recommended
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta PS71

2019-08-19 - Which pressure do You recommend for track. I use 2.9 kg on road.

Start with your road pressure and keep adjusting back to it as the tyres heat up, then you can balance the car once everything is warm.

2021-05-14 - Hi! Is PS71 or PS91 better for a use on a Hobby-car only in the summer? The rim is 8x18 and the car is an Alfa Romeo Spider MY2001.

I would say the PS91 is the more sport focused and newer pattern, however if it's a summer only hobby car you could also consider something like the Cup 2.

Ecsta PS71 Prices

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Given 83% while driving a Vauxhall Insignia CDTI SRI 160 (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
same kumho problem... balancing & egg shape. 245/45/18 100Y XL
I've always used kumho because the price well reflects in proformance if only they didn't need constant rebalencing.
I've had 4 duff pairs, ku31 x 2 pair, ku 39 x 2 pair that had to come off in the end they were so bad.
No amount of balencing can sort an egg shape tyre.
These new ps71 are very soft, squishy, feel like running on 20psi with 30g wheel wobble even after twice rebalencing them & 1 of them is egg shape.
I am worn out with trying to get them right & think after years of kumho on various different cars I'm giving up on them.
Changing to Dunlop.
I always feel bad going back to the shop to moan they must think it's me lol but kumho have let themselves down & I will say so.
PS71 is more expensive, lower spec & lower quality, not for me, I like a tyre to be not thought about coz it's getting on with it's job instead of feeling there's a 60mph side wind blowing me around & the steering wheel hammering out of ny hands not to mention the amount spent on rebalencing & hanging around tyre shop waiting for my turn.
225 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017
Given 69% while driving a Citroën Xantia 1,8 16v (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
And the same Kumho problems with Me.. balancing & egg shape. 215/45/17 91Y XL
I've often used Kumho Ecsta PS31 ,because have a chance to do it and they didn't need constant rebalencing.
These Kumho Ecsta PS71 are something different.
You will get "massage" , "constant lane change warning function" and sunshade vibrations for free.
Avoid buying them!
34 - tyre reviewed on May 29, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Very very good tired. Higly recomanded.
29 - tyre reviewed on July 18, 2019
Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta PS71 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta PS71? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta PS71 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta PS71 Reviews

Vauxhall (235/50 R18) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Changed to Kumho PS71 from the excellent Continental Premium Contact. Price decision 40% cheaper. Best decision made, wear rate better dry handling more predictable on limit, wet handling no noticeable difference perhaps a little bit more road noise but thats very subjective. Overall very pleased had no balance issues seen on other reviews, seems to have quite stiff sidewall construction keeping tyre firmly positioned on surface feels very safe at all speeds and believe me it's driven in a very very spirited way. Would definitely buy again.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2021
Given 71% while driving a MINI R56 Factory John Cooper Works (205/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I have a set of these in runflat on a '13 Mini cooper JCW. They stick very well in the dry, you have to be really pushing to get understeer. In the wet they will easily spin up a wheel under full throttle in 2nd, but cornering is very confidence inspiring. My dislike is that these tyres cause the car to wander on the road quite badly, following dips and camber and needing steering correction, this may be because I have the runflat version. They are also quite noisy especially on less perfect surfaces, again may be because of runflat. Will be replacing them with pilot sport 4, but I am happy with the performance/price.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2021
Given 97% while driving a Holden Ute SS (265/35 R19) on mostly country roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Look good handle well especially at the limit, plenty of feedback from tyres
0 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2021
Given 92% while driving a Honda Accord (245/40 R18) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
I got the kumho PS71 tires for my Honda Accord Coupe. And I absolutely love them. Kumho has very good reputation in the tire industry and this is definitely no exception. The tires handle extremely well. And they cannot believe how quiet they are on the road.
2 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2021
Given 66% while driving a Opel ASTRA H 1.6 TURBO (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I bought this tires for the front of my car, I had some Hankook S1 Evo2 at the end of their life, and decide to go for this tires after see some good comments, But there really not that amazing. They are good tires if you just want to make kms... They grip ok, but if you like to drive in the mountains and as fast as possible, and not the best choice. I changed to the Hankook S1 Evo3, they are not that expensive and are much better. I give than a 8/10 for daily drive 6/10 for sporty drive.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 23, 2021
Given 89% while driving a Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line (245/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 30 spirited miles
Loads of grip in the wet and dry I've never been able to loose traction on these tyres until they're worn out. Aquaplaning is something of the past with these tyres. They're a bit noisy and car be a bit rough on back roads especially in the South of Ireland where the council can't be bothered to fix any road that isn't a Motor-way to Dublin. The tyres are also very predictable, they handle extremely well to the point you can make it around the harshest of turns on a main road at at least 80mph without breaking a sweat. My front tyres were baldy after 9 months which is pretty good considering I do roughly 40,000 miles a year and I have a pretty heavy foot. Id recommend these tyres to anyone who enjoys driving a bit over the speed limit and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg for good performance tyres. They truly are the best budget performance tyre that'll still beat expensive performance tyres.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 3, 2021
Given 71% while driving a Ford Mustang gt (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 13,000 spirited miles
Bought a car with kumhos on. Was a bit suspicious, but I was surprised. It handled well, and didn’t cause me any scares. When compared to UHP tyres, it doesn’t shine, but it’s far better than a budget tyre. After having a puncture and only being able to fit a budget tyre, i could appreciate the reasonable grip it has. No real scares in the wet.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 27, 2021
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 400 spirited miles
Had crappy budget tyres on before. Made the switch to these because they were a good price. Car feels so much better now. Great grip around corners in wet and dry, car feels much more fun and safer to drive now
1 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2021
Given 84% while driving a Volkswagen CC (255/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 5,000 spirited miles
I consider that they are incredible tires, what surprised me the most was on the road I put them to the test with all my driving skills for more than 20 years and I was really surprised how good they feel, it was dry and wet from 100 miles to 150 miles per hour for 3 hours was amazing.
3 - tyre reviewed on April 10, 2021
Given 71% while driving a BMW 320d touring (255/35 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 9,000 spirited miles
They were very grippy tyres that wore evenly. I wouldn’t buy again because the rear left was finished after 9,000 miles.
5 - tyre reviewed on December 20, 2020
Given 84% while driving a Ford Mustang gt (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
When I bought a car the previous owner had put Kumho PS71 on. I was sceptical at first but they are pretty sticky and suit the car pretty well. Pretty predictable. Never stepped out on me unexpectedly. Solid turn in response. No unexpected understeer. Wet performance was surprisingly good, never had any moments. Relatively loud, but nothing terrible. Have bought again.
14 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
I drove with this tyres in a combination of road. First on the highway (about 10.000 km) and then in the city and and the surroundings (about 7.000 km). Wear was a little higher on the highway, about 15%, compared to mixed driving.
After 17-18.000 km the tyres have about 5.5-6.2 mm remaining, from 8.5 mm as they had at purchase, which is ok for a UHP tire and the quality in road.

I had no problems with them in terms of balance, even when you can switch between them (face with back after 10.000 km).

I am not the most sporty driver but I do not drive like an old man :D , so for my needs they are excellent, never gave me emotions.

The only complaint is that they are a bit noisy for my taste, especially when they are cold. If they did not have this minus, I would not have considered another tire.

Finally;

They are absolut great for those people who not drive in the rally race, or those who pushing to the limit their car, but with the minus about the noise, could be a litter better.

17 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2020