Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2

The Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2 is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 56 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 526,200 miles driven.

The MP 46 Hectorra 2 is ranked 20th of 190 Summer High Performance tyres.

2014 Auto Bild 50 Summer Tyre Shootout - 19th of 50 tyres

2012 Autobild 50 Tyre Braking Test - 24th of 45 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2

Questions and Answers for the Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2

2016-06-21 - Is this tyre a run flat? Matador mp46 hectorra 2

We do not believe there is a runflat version of this tyre produced.

MP 46 Hectorra 2 Prices

Top 3 Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2 Reviews

Given 91% while driving a BMW 320i Touring (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Excellent tyre for the price!! A lot better than Falken452. Very soft and comfy ride while handling is superb compared to run flats. The car is transformed!! Definitely buy again
28 - tyre reviewed on May 20, 2014
Given 51% while driving a Citroën C4 (205/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 35,000 average miles
After the excellent pair of my Michelin pe2 passed away, I replaced them with matador's. Much more cheaper choise, with similar good reviews here. It was totally wrong idea to compare my previous tyres with these. In the first 10000 km my Citroen seems to be more comfortable with a nice but nervous grip is limit conditions, driving with less aggressive style than wearing my previous set. After 15000 km decided to replace front with rears, because the behaviour of my car became unusually strange. For 2000km my car replaced it's name, in summer conditions. When the winter started, especially in rainy days, my car Started spinning even with 3rd gear, fast cornering was dangerous. Certainly not a tyre that inspire spiritual driving. Not suggested even for a value choise. I was more satisfied with other midrange brands like, falken and Uniroyal, which were more close to a premium pair.
16 - tyre reviewed on April 15, 2016
Given 71% while driving a Skoda MK1 Octavia VRS (205/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
These were on a Octavia VRS i purchased recently. Have now driven them for approx 1000 miles. Must admit to being fairly impressed, Ive tried many tyres over the years and the cheaper ones are usually not worth having - frequently being OK in the dry but awful in the wet.

These tyres have proven to be capable in both the dry and the wet, which for such a reasonably priced tyre is rare. No idea on wear as yet, but I am tempted to buy a set again when these wear out.

Only thing I would say is that they seem to need inflating slightly more than some other tyres, perhaps a slightly soft sidewall, this can lead to a very slightly harder ride than ideal.
10 - tyre reviewed on June 6, 2015
Have you driven on the Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2 >

Latest Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2 Reviews

Given 43% while driving a Audi A3 2.0T Sporkback (225/45 R17) on for 2,500 miles
shocking in the wet. My Audi A3 sport back goes sideways in a corner when the boost comes in, have too drive like my granny. These tyres where new on the car when I brought it can't wait to change them.
10 - tyre reviewed on August 31, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Honda Civic Type S 2.2 i CDTi (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 25,000 spirited miles
great value for the price handling up there with the best
5 - tyre reviewed on January 4, 2016
Given 29% while driving a Audi (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
These tyres are dreadful. I've always put branded tyres on my cars as I'm a big believer that you get what you pay for, and after all the tyres provide the contact between you/your car and the road. However, I've a new car on order which is being delivered in a couple of months time, so I thought I would something cheaper on 2 worn out rear tyres. I therefore plumped for the Matador M46 and what a mistake. It feels like the rear end of my car is driving on jelly. You give the cars throttle a bit of a squeeze exiting a end and I get a dashboard full of anti-skid warning lights. Really wish I had spent a few more quid and keep with the branded tyres as I feel vulnerable driving on these poor tyres. Avoid them!
0 - tyre reviewed on June 12, 2015
Given 96% while driving a Ford MONDEO (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Never had a single trouble with this tyres. Impressed how well they performed and I can easily recommend them. Way behind that reason is their price.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2014
Given 97% while driving a Mercedes Benz CLK230K (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Replaced the mix and match tyres on the Mercedes and it has transformed into a comfortable and safe tourer.Grip is good in both dry and wet. I think the softness of the tyrewall does hamper the feedback a tad but the steering on this Merc can be a little numb anyway. Noise is down, fuel economy is up and the comfort levels have improved massively. The wear indicators are a good idea and the tread pattern looks superb. Not a cheap tyre but better value than a budget because budgets are pants and better value than a top brand as they can cost the earth. Have used Matador in the past and will use again. The MP44 Elite are also superb.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 10, 2014
Given 38% while driving a Ford Fiesta ST (205/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
Replaced my bridgestone RE050a's with these after seeing such excellent reviews. I don't normally buy mid range tyres, but thought I'd give it a try.. Wish I hadn't now!

Absolutely hate them, grip is very average in both dry and wet but for me the killer is the very soft side wall.

I have lost all confidence in my car, have some new bridgestones on the way to replace these tyres after a week!
1 - tyre reviewed on July 1, 2014
Given 86% while driving a BMW (265/30 R19) on a combination of roads for 17,000 spirited miles
Had these fitted on the rear of my remapped 320d producing 210bhp and 450nm (330ft lb) torque and I do drive the car very hard

The grip from these is far better than that of the dunlops previously fitted. Wet grip was surprisingly good, pushed hard in the wet and they held really well - back end never stepped out and barely a flicker of the traction control light.

Road noise and comfort also better than the previous dunlops although they were run flats.

Standing water at 70-80mph on the motorway didn't phase them, felt solid and planted with no fear of aqua planing.

Only issue is they lasted 17000 miles - but then that's possibly my aggressive driving style.

Would definitely reccomend these tyres and will be replacing with the same again.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 9, 2014
Given 80% while driving a Ford Focus ST170 (215/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Had these tyre previously on my st, They are an excellent tyre!
Compared with conti michelin and goodyear these are there abouts, Great dry handling, good in the wet, wear i found to be about the same as a conti/michelin etc. Great all around tyre, For the price at £67 a corner from CAMSKILL 225-45-17w these are a bargain!

0 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2014
Given 89% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GT TDI 140 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Superb tires at cut price compared to most big brand names. Apparently Matador are a unbranded Continental(i think), made in the same factory but branded Matador to represent the budget line of tires made by the big named company, but in fact these are easilt as good performance wise as my Michelin Pilot 2's i had on my Mk5 Golf Gt Tdi 2.0. 140bhp and 236lbft torque gives tires a very hard time and these lasted way longer than Michelins but delivered superb grip in the dry and wet. At almost half the price of Michelins but with better longevity/lower wear rate its a no brainer. Make sure its the MP46 ones you buy as there are one or two different variances of Matadors.
Profile was 225/45 so quite wide and low profile which did transmit alot of road noise but none more than Michelins.
I think before i sold the car they'd worn from 8mm down to 5.5mm in approx 10k, so looking at maybe 20k from them, and at £57 from camskill.co.uk for 225/45/17 4th Dec 2013 and £5 delivery you'd be mad not to try them.
Highly recommended!
0 - tyre reviewed on December 4, 2013
Given 71% while driving a SEAT EXEO. SE.(143) 2.0ltr dsl turbo (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 16,000 spirited miles
These tyres have one an Achilles heel which is a major flaw. They have a very soft tyre wall which seems to make them prone to side wall punctures, which seems to be verified by a previous reviewer. The first tyre lasted four months (7000 miles) the second which replaced the original Matador five months (9000miles) both suffered side wall punctures. I have been driving 30 years and never before suffered a side wall puncture maybe this was due to me previously buying premium brand tyres. I decided to purchase this brand due to favourable reviews on this site and they are manufactured under the Continental umbrella. I agree they performed very well against the premium brands and felt very connected to the road in all conditions, but these failures have made me lose faith with the brand so its back to Michelins for me
0 - tyre reviewed on November 28, 2013
Given 87% while driving a BMW (265/30 R19) on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
Had these on the rears of my 2.5L 3 series for 12 months now. Bit of a cheesy name but not a bad piece of rubber from the Continental stable, no drama in the wet even under duress, quiet ride with 34 psi and does not look overtyred for a big boot, sitting on 9J rims with a 35 offset.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 27, 2013
Given 90% while driving a Subaru MY05 WRX (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
I've tried all sorts of different tyres over the years and these are amongst the best. They replaced the highly acclaimed Goodyear F1 which were good when new but poor once worn at all. The Matadors on the other hand have been good throughout the tyres' life. The current tyres have done about 15000 miles and fronts need replacing. I drive hard (225 bhp Subaru) and I have suspension mods which mean that the inside part of the tread wears more quickly than the rest. With normal camber settings the tyres would have good for 20000 miles at the front. Wet and dry grip is good and loss of grip is progressive. I wouldn't normally buy budget tyres but since I drive 20000 miles a year, I thought that these were worth a go. Highly recommended.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 3, 2013