Kumho Ecsta HS51

The Kumho Ecsta HS51 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre has been replaced by the Kumho Ecsta HS52.

Tyre review data from 29 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 414,170 miles driven.

The Ecsta HS51 is ranked 31st of 135 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 5th of 15 tyres

• Positive - Top marks for fuel consumption, good in the wet, relatively low wear.
  • Negative - Slightly weaker on dry roads.
  • Overall - The Kumho Ecsta HS51 feels less precise in the dry compared to its peers, and only has an average dry braking result. It's better in the wet, with high aquaplaning resistance, and has reasonable levels of noise.

2021 53 Summer Tyre Braking Test - 3rd of 53 tyres

2021 Auto Bild 16 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 20 tyres

• Positive - Precise steering, dynamic handling and short braking distances in the dry and wet, well priced.
  • Negative - High rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Exemplary.

2021 Tyre Tests

• 1st: 2021 Auto Bild 16 Inch Summer Tyre Test (205/55 R16)
  • 3rd: 2021 53 Summer Tyre Braking Test (205/55 R16)
  • 5th: 2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 (205/55 R16)
  • 2020 Tyre Tests

• 10th: 2020 ADAC SUV Summer Tyre Test (235/55 R17)
  • 2019 Tyre Tests

• 9th: 2019 Auto Zeitung Summer Tyre Test (235/45 R18)
  • 2018 Tyre Tests

• 8th: 2018 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 (205/55 R16)
  • 2017 Tyre Tests

• 4th: 2017 Auto Express Summer Tyre Test (205/55 R16)
  • 13th: 2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Shootout (225/50 R17)
  • 20th: 2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test (225/50 R17)
  • 2016 Tyre Tests

• 17th: 2016 Market Overview - Braking Test (205/55 R16)
  • Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Ecsta HS51

Questions and Answers for the Kumho Ecsta HS51

2016-07-24 - Looking to have 4 new tyres 215-55-16 to my Mercedes E280. Which would you recommend, HS31, HS51, or any other. Awaiting reply before purchasing.

Tyre choice depends a lot on driving style and what you priorities from a tyre's performance. The last test the Kumho HS51 was included in didn't go so well, so we'd suggest reading this test and selecting a tyre which scored a little better.

Ecsta HS51 Prices

Top 3 Kumho Ecsta HS51 Reviews

Given 97% while driving a Kia Motors Cerato 2 litre auto (Tiptronic) (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 4,000 average miles
    Excellent tyre for summer and even winter on wet road. Very quite and comfort & excellent grip on wet and dry conditions.
    One of the best tyre which I bought and i'll buy again.
    Helpful 323 - tyre reviewed on September 23, 2016
    Given 62% while driving a BMW 530D M sport (275/30 R19 W) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
    I have Kuhmo 275/39/19 96y fitted to my 2005 BMWE60 530d msport, I have just had to get a taxi home from Swansea to London because for the second time in 18 months I have had a blow out on the M4 whilst travelling at speed. Both times the tyre has failed on the inner wall with the tyre instantly going flat. A large section of tyre has blown out approx three inches long with a hole that I could push my finger all the way in. As I said earlier this is the second time and both times it has been a inner wall failure. Has anybody else experienced this problem and do they know if Kuhmo are aware of this possible design fault or am I just unlucky?
    Helpful 79 - tyre reviewed on April 6, 2019
    Given 60% while driving a Lexus CT200h (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
    Worst tyres I've ever bought for wear, had to replace after 5 months, 7,000 miles.
    Helpful 73 - tyre reviewed on May 30, 2017
    Have you driven on the Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Ecsta HS51? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Ecsta HS51 >

Latest Kumho Ecsta HS51 Reviews

Given 96% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 (Modified) (195/55 R15) on a combination of roads for 15 spirited miles
    never had any problems with it, my car has never gotten into a slide with these tyres, have been running these tyres for a year and still have 50% tread left. would buy again.
    Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on June 1, 2022
    Given 86% while driving a Honda Accord Tourer Type S (235/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
    I've had these on for a year now, and I am very pleasantly surprised at the outright grip both wet and dry these offer. The tyres that preceded these were Falken FK510, Hankook VP3 K125 and most recently Nokian Powerproof. I found the Hankooks best for wear, Nokians were good for wet grip but did not last very long and the Falkens may as well have been made from chewing gum for the service life they gave. I know the Honda Accord Type S Tourer is a fairly heavy vehicle and has a decent bit of torque and power but I have a commute that is 80km per day so wear is a factor, the remap adds some more as well. With these HS51 I can say that I am very happy with their performance so far and would definately buy them again. Wet grip/braking and wear are my two main objectives regarding tyres and on these points and more they deliver. They are not the most fuel efficient tyres but they are very durable and that is worth more to me than some theoretical figure of fuel saving in the long run. In summary I would say that I highly recommend these tyres if you have a larger heavier car and don't want the lightweight quiet, fuel efficient tyres that have the sidewall strength of a piece of overcooked pasta, these are old school tyres that are heavy and solid and last while giving great grip and wear.
    Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on February 23, 2022
    Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
    Given 83% while driving a Kia Motors Forte (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
    I think it’s very easy to use. The grip on dry and wet ground is very strong, and it’s not very noisy to walk on unsightly sections
    Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2021
    Given 90% while driving a Alfa Romeo 146 Junior (195/55 R15 V) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
    Wet grip from these tyres is very impressive and inspires confidence. Dry grip is very good although perhaps slightly behind the premium Pirellis previously fitted but the Kumhos are very much quieter in terms of road noise and certainly much more comfortable than before. The car's handling qualities are compatible with the Pirellis and the Kumhos are wearing pretty consistently and at an acceptable rate. I like them. They're good value for money in my opinion and suit my style of driving.
    Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on October 20, 2020
    Given 69% while driving a Hyundai elantra (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,650 average miles
    Have these stock on my elantra. They're pretty good for what they are. Good wet grip cuz it rains a lot and I haven't had any problems in the wet. Pretty quiet on the highway and choppy pavement. Not a driver's tire though as feedback is poor and handling at the limit is average.
    Helpful 15 - tyre reviewed on August 17, 2020
    Given 83% while driving a Audi A4 1.9 TDI (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 9,300 spirited miles
    Tyres grip really well in the dry, but in the they feel a bit loose. I had them fitted in a audi a4 and have them for 15k km and they have 4.5 mm letf in them. Overall they are a pretty good tyre would totally buy again.
    Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on May 16, 2020
    Given 56% while driving a Ford Fiesta mk7 (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 7,500 average miles
    These tyres on the front of a fiesta have only lasted just over 12 months. They have even wear across the tread. Tracking was done when tyres were fitted. Very disappointed at the mileage done only about 7500 miles. Will pay more for a better tyre next time
    Helpful 12 - tyre reviewed on January 3, 2020
    Given 100% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (215/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 32,000 average miles
    I have these tyres for 3 years
    Done 32,000 Miles on them
    Very good in all conditions like having a perineum brand fitted .
    I recommend them to all because its quality & price
    Helpful 25 - tyre reviewed on September 11, 2019
    Given 60% while driving a MINI Clubman (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
    Just had these tires fitted on my 2005 Mini Cooper S Chilli, so far I’ve done about 100km, I’ll update the review once the tyres have been worn in. So far they seem OK, although I probably wouldn’t get them again on this car. Dry grip seems more than fine, a hell of a lot better than the old Pirelli Cinturato P7 runflats that were on the vehicle (although these tires were on their last legs when I bought the car), and seem to handle 170fwhp and 220nm of torque easily. So far I have not experienced any understeer when accelerating hard around a corner, which is fairly impressive in front wheel drive sports car. From what I have heard, wet grip is also more than adequate. Tires are 380 treadwear so should last for a decent amount of time. My problem with the tires are road feedback, are lack thereof. The steering feel has become noticeably lighter and less direct since installing these tires, I don’t seem to be getting any acceptable level of steering feedback which is somewhat disconcerting in a high performance vehicle. The car feels less connected to the road, although does have noticeably more grip than before, without having experienced the car on fresh tires previously, I can’t say if this is normal or not. The tires are not yet broken in, so I’ll have to see if my experience changes over time. So far I’m not super impressed. One merit of these tires is that road noise is absolutely non existent.
    Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2019
    Given 90% while driving a Toyota Avensis (205/60 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 27,000 average miles
    Im very impressed!!!better than pirelli p7 and michelin i fitted before with better price.never failed in wet or dry on and after 42000 km i felt that something goes wrong so i fitted new.im sure that would be good for more km
    Helpful 23 - tyre reviewed on April 16, 2019
    Given 100% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (215/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 25,000 average miles
    These tyres , specially HS51 Escata ,
    One of the best i ever fitted on my car
    On them (25,000 Miles) in all aspects are great i recommend all to buy these
    Wet performance is very good excellent , no need have very exp Premium brands
    Helpful 22 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2019
    Given 59% while driving a Peugeot 508 SW 1.6 E HDI (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
    Very bad road feedback. Handling is bad too. You will fight with steering wheel with this tyre. I dont recommend.
    Helpful 16 - tyre reviewed on February 3, 2019