Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

Tyre review data from 51 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 319,018 miles driven.

The EfficientGrip Performance 2 is ranked 6th of 135 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

2022 Summer Tyre Market Overview - 16th of 44 tyres

2022 ViBilagare Eco vs Normal Tyre Test - 6th of 10 tyres

• Positive - High comfort, low rolling resistance, price.
  • Negative - Slightly diffuse driving characteristics.
  • Overall - The wet grip is good but the driving precision leaves somewhat to be desired. It is difficult to place the car exactly where you want it under pressure. In the dry, it has a pronounced progressive steering reaction and does not handle evasive maneuvers with the same accuracy as the best. The braking distances are also average.
    On the other hand, the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 has other clear merits. Comfort is high with low road noise on rough roads. Consumption is on par with eco-tires and compared to these, Goodyear has significantly better safety margins! This is a good compromise between rolling resistance and road safety.

2022 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 22 tyres

• Positive - Premium performance with excellent handling, short braking, lowest wear on test, best value on test, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

2020-07-15 - Thanks for all your excellent and comprehensive reviews! I usually put Goodyear tyres on my 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible as they almost always rate very highly in tests. It takes 205/50 R17 93Ws. I am attracted to the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it scores very highly in all categories. The EU rating is A for wet grip and B for rolling resistance. It is described as a premium touring tyre. It seems to be new though and there aren’t as many tests available for it. My normal choice would have been the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. This is also A rated for wet grip but only E for rolling resistance. It is described as a max performance tyre. Both of the above are available in the size I need and I am genuinely conflicted as to which of them would be the best choice for my BMW. It is a powerful car and heavy in convertible form. The two tyres each rate highly among their category peers (touring/ max performance) but, because of the different categories, I can’t find a review/ test that rates them against each other. The EfficientGrip seems to be perfectly adequate for the weight & speed ratings required for my car. I note that the Eagle F1 is the only option in larger tyre sizes that might be required for a high performance car and my feeling is that the Eagle F1 would be better suited for spirited driving but I am concerned about the E rating for rolling resistance. I would be grateful for your input in choosing between these and your advice as to the criteria for ultimately deciding between them. I would normally have picked the Eagle F1 but as these both score almost identically and the EfficientGrip scores better for rolling resistance and tyre life I am swinging towards it instead but maybe the E rating of the Eagle F1 isn’t all bad and there are other factors I should consider. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

If you prefer a comfortable ride above all else, at the expense of sporty handling, then the EfficientGrip Performance 2 range is the choice. For me, I would put the Asymmetric 5 on the vehicle as I like to enjoy driving, and the real world difference between B and E in rolling resistance doesn't amount to a huge amount of extra petrol over the life of a tyre!

2021-03-05 - Which one should I choose between these one and GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5? Im looking for size 225/45/17 for Audi A3.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is the better tyre if you would prefer more comfort, and the Asymmetric 5 is the more sporty tyre.

2020-09-05 - What is the weight for a 205/55/16 tyre? Thanks

You can find the weight here

2020-10-25 - what is the country that made this model please? Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 size 205/55/16

It will depend on where you are in the world and what load and speed index you require. I suggest speaking to a local tyre dealer to find out where his stock of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is manufactured.

2021-04-07 - I am considering Goodyear EP2 and the BFG Advantage in 205/55/16 size. Inclination goes to the goodyear, but you say that the BFG is even more comfortable. Is there really a difference in comfort between these two? I have a Seat Leon which has some horrid tires, and want to swap them to the most comfortable on the market, but still retain some decent performance.

In my test the Goodyear and BFGoodrich were different load ratings so it's not the best comparison of comfort. I would suggest fitting the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as the other benefits of the tyre outweigh a very small increase in comfort for a tyre with lesser abilities overall.

2022-01-11 - What is the commanded cold Tyre pressure of the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 205/55R/16 91W?

The tyre pressures are vehicle dependant so please check your handbook or door shut for the correct pressure.

EfficientGrip Performance 2 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 100% while driving a Toyota Auris (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 easy going miles
Been looking for new set of summer tyres after decided to change my wheels size too, I went from 17” wheels down to 16” and fitted new set of Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, latest model tyres, they were made in week 7 of 2020 and I fitted them in week 8 of 2020, absolutely brand new and fresh rubber. So far so good, traveled around 1000 miles and tyres are excellent, performance, comfort, even though they are smaller size there is no negative performance, corners great, braking in both dry and wet is good, car feels very positive to drive , noise level also good. This is the first review of these new model efficient grip performance as other reviews are for the older model, I been using the previous egp for years and now I think my tyres for the next few years are exactly those especially if they last as they are advertised . Highly recommend to try them. They are made in Germany too. 👍
Helpful 170 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2020
Given 98% while driving a Audi a3 s line (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Hello I am from Cyprus and my car is Audi A3 sportback. I have before Chinese tyres davandi and after intertrac tyres. Very bad tyres don’t buy this brands. After that I decided to buy a better tyres. For the last 3 years I used them Continental contisport contact 5. It was good tyres I don’t have anything bad to say about this tyres. After the Continental I did my research and I decided to buy the Goodyear efficiendgrip performance 2. I have this tyres 1 month now and it’s absolutely amazing tyres. I don’t Know yet for the wet grip and for the wear. I pushed my car to the limits and my tyres give me a very good feeling they give me confidence a safety filing. I have to say it’s very comfortable tyres I don’t feel the pumps and the bad roads in Cyprus and it’s very silently too I don’t hear anything to the cabin. I will give a better review in 6 months. I am sorry for my bad English
Helpful 89 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
I just bought these tires today and drove them for 50km. My previous tires were the predecessors: Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. I drove them 53.000km on the same Golf MK5 and the thread went down to 4mm, I could still drive them for 20.000km more if I need to, but I wanted to refresh my Golf with better ride. This is just the initial impression, these tyres are similar to the old ones, which were already great except for the noise, they were noisy and the comfort was just average. The new ones are less noisy and more comfortable. I will update this review over time with more info.
Helpful 79 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2021
Have you driven on the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 >

Latest Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 73% while driving a Audi A4 (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Good allrounder but was expecting more comfort from a touring tyre. Downsides are aquaplaning, which is really bad, and cofort which is average at best. Performance in other fields is as expected and promised by reviews.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on June 19, 2022
Saab Automobile 9000 Turbo (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
205/55 R16 91W weight is 8.55kg, Made in Poland.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2022
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 90% while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I've been running Goodyear tyres consistently for around 10 years now and I don't think I'd buy any other make from now on. During that time i've always defaulted to F1 Asymmetric (2's, 3's and 5's) but thought I fancied something more comfort biased for once. These are incredible tyres and I think the best I've ever had in 30 years of driving. Smooth, quiet, comfortable yet still dynamic, sporty and fun when required. Just an excellent all round summer tyre that suits my style of driving (brisk but not mad into corners etc). Absolutely superb.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on June 5, 2022
Given 80% while driving a Skoda (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,500 average miles
I got the tyres for a very reasonable price and since tests and reviews were very positive I put them on when my old Conti Premium Contact 2e and 5 needed to be changed. The grip is excellent. I had no need to slam on the brakes so far but the grip in curves is hilarious, be it dry or wet. So, I guess that an emergency stop would make no issues, too. What I really appreciate is that the tyres do not tend to oversteer (compared to the previous Contis where the understeering on my car which tends to understeer anyway was quite pronounced). You can really be quite confident to keep the curve well even at somewhat higher speeds. Fuel consumption is on par with the old tyres and since newer tyres typically have a higher consumption I am quite happy about this. There is one thing, though, that I was not happy with at all. The tyres feel quite "spongy" and imprecise. The tyres just react a bit late and it feels like you are somehow swimming on the road. Not saying that they are not safe in driving but you feel like you have to put some effort into steering the car properly. This is something I do not remember having experienced with other tyres. I heightened the pressure over the recommended values (+3 PSI) to compensate for this and that did indeed improve the handling considerably. Let's see what this does to the wear but I do not assume massive problems here since wear should be good anyway.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2022
Given 53% while driving a Skoda (225/50 R18) on mostly country roads for 3,500 average miles
Done approximately 3500 miles from new. They were very quiet initially but now are extremely noisy, in fact the noisiest tyre I have ever had. The noise varies with the road surface, on some it is so bad I almost have to shout to be heard by my passenger! I have had wheel bearings etc checked so it is the tyres causing the noise. Very disappointed with them but can't afford to replace them. The grip and handling are above average but not exceptional, cornering feels slightly less positive than my previous Falken Ziex which in my opinion were more comfortable and definitely quieter even when only 3mm tread left. I will not buy Goodyear tyres again!
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on May 7, 2022
Given 74% while driving a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Titanium (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 28 average miles
after a lot of satisfaction with the EfficientGrip Performance on my old(er) car I decided to get the EfficientGrip Performance 2. first season was great, good grip in wet and dry. quiet. second season was still great in terms of grip, but the tire became louder. at the beginning of the third season, I first noticed they are much much louder, especially on highways (which represent 80% of my drives). then the wet grip started to fade, so I decided that after cca. 45.000 km on them it is time for replacement.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on April 26, 2022
Given 97% while driving a Suzuki SX4 1.6 LITRE PETROL (205/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 0 average miles
3rd set of efficient grip tyres just fitted won't use anything else excellent tyre, wears well, quiet, great grip, comfortable, saves on fuel cost what more would you want from a tyre?.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on April 1, 2022
Given 93% while driving a Mercedes Benz 190 2.3 16 (185/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
It's hard to quantify my opinions into numbers, so let me put it like this: I've owned 20 cars on many different tyres, and the Efficient Grip Performance 2s are, by some margin, the best touring tyres I've ever driven on. I have pushed them reasonably hard in the dry, and they showed no signs of even beginning to understeer, or oversteer in corners with the throttle down, which is important in an older rear wheel drive car like mine. Same performance in the wet. It is worth mentioning that my Mercedes 190 is over 30 years old, and while it is a good car to begin with, these tyres have transformed the driving and really brought it up to date. The handling is absolutely spot-on. The steering is responsive and it makes it a joy to throw the car through bends, and it really delivers the confidence if I need to manoeuvre around a dawdler. As for comfort, feedback from the road is good, but not super super informative, which is how it should be really. I want to know the bumps are there, but not feel every line of tarmac. If you want that, buy some Pilot Sports. The car rides over bumps very well, and doesn't crash or jolt at all, which is impressive, again given the age of the car. So many older luxury cars can be ruined by the wrong choice of tyre, but these fit the bill perfectly. At motorway speeds, you can hear them, but it's no worse than other tyres of this bracket (Primacy 4 etc). They also track excellently and stably at high speeds. For economy-wise, they offered a bit of an improvement in fuel economy over the previous, admittedly cheap tyres. One thing the EGP2 boasts about quite confidently is that it will last 20% longer than the next best tyre, and they almost certainly mean the Michelin Primacy 4, the other tyre I was considering, and which is well-known for being able to last 20,000+ miles. I've done 5000 miles, and the EGP2s don't even look like they've been used at all. It's possible they well last into Primacy 4 territory and beyond, I'll have to see. It was still a hard decision between the two tyres, but the one thing that clinched it for the Goodyears was the price. In my size on MyTyres, they were about £15 a corner cheaper than the Primacy 4 (£65 a tyre, if I remember right). To be honest, unless you were looking for a high performance or track tyre, I don't know why you'd fit anything else to your car.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on February 27, 2022
Given 87% while driving a BMW 318D (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 32,900 miles
The Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 has been on my car for just under 2 years and 32900 miles, overall i've been very happy with the tyres good overall performance and wear has been exceptional! I still had 3 mm when I replaced the front tyres however they had warped and the ride had suffered significantly. I don't know what caused the tyres to warp but to be fair they had done 32900 miles. Without a second thought I bought the same again, fantastic tyres for the price. Great job Goodyear
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on January 26, 2022
Given 43% while driving a Ford S Max (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 3,000 easy going miles
(6K miles/year, mainly urban) Grip was excellent as to be expected based on the recommendation from the garage. However, the fronts lasted six months! Yes, we barley got six months and the tread was gone completely. The rear tyres had minimal wear. The rears were swapped to the front and lasted another six months. These tyres are not suited for heavy load vehicles such as the S-Max. Also be aware, both sets of tyres caused a very worrying vibration over 40mph which disappeared at 60mph and above. Replaced with Hankook S1 EVO2 94w tyres. The fronts lasted one year. Best tyres to date have been a set of General Altimax 98W XL. These are slightly noisier tyres but lasted 1.5 yrs.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on January 20, 2022
Given 100% while driving a Vauxhall Astra SRi (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Very good tire in the dry and wet. Feels safe in corners, no slipping on bends. The handles just as good in the wet as the dry, little road noise. After 3000 miles no sign of wear yet.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on January 4, 2022
Given 95% while driving a Mercedes Benz A180 CDI W176 (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
So far so good. It is one of the best tyres I have ever placed on my Mercedes. First of all comfort and noise: since the suspension of my Mercedes is tough with the previous tyres I felt and hear all the bumps on the road. Now the situation improved 101% the steer is lighter the noise doesn't exist and the wheels pass the bumps smoother than ever. Greek roads are awful and since I use the car mostly in the city I can say it is the best tyres as far as comfort noise and steer. Now on the highways: fuel economy is outstanding. The tyres are so smooth and helps a lot at the acceleration of the car. The only concern is when trying to drive on a close or long turn. Since I drive fast I would like to be more steady the car but for normal conditions you will not feel anything. But if you drive fast then you will feel that the softness of the tyres don't help to keep the car inline. Haven't tested yet on wet. I definitely would by them again.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on November 8, 2021