Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 92% over 185,340 miles driven.

The EfficientGrip Performance 2 is ranked 1st of 119 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

2021 ACE / GTU Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on wet surfaces, low noise level, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Low resistance to aquaplaning.
  • Overall - Recommended.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 4th of 15 tyres

• Positive - Lowest wear, good in the wet, low fuel consumption.
  • Negative - Slightly weaker on dry roads.
  • Overall - The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 has average steering and can feel imprecise during dry handling, though the dry braking result was good. The tyre performs well in the wet, has a low fuel consumption and a big margin in wear, doubling the worst tyre on test.

2021 ViBilagare Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 8 tyres

• Positive - Responsive and easy to drive in the wet and dry, very good levels of comfort and quietest tyre on test.
  • Negative - Average aquaplaning resistance.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

2020-07-15 - Thanks for all your excellent and comprehensive reviews! I usually put Goodyear tyres on my 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible as they almost always rate very highly in tests. It takes 205/50 R17 93Ws. I am attracted to the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it scores very highly in all categories. The EU rating is A for wet grip and B for rolling resistance. It is described as a premium touring tyre. It seems to be new though and there aren’t as many tests available for it. My normal choice would have been the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. This is also A rated for wet grip but only E for rolling resistance. It is described as a max performance tyre. Both of the above are available in the size I need and I am genuinely conflicted as to which of them would be the best choice for my BMW. It is a powerful car and heavy in convertible form. The two tyres each rate highly among their category peers (touring/ max performance) but, because of the different categories, I can’t find a review/ test that rates them against each other. The EfficientGrip seems to be perfectly adequate for the weight & speed ratings required for my car. I note that the Eagle F1 is the only option in larger tyre sizes that might be required for a high performance car and my feeling is that the Eagle F1 would be better suited for spirited driving but I am concerned about the E rating for rolling resistance. I would be grateful for your input in choosing between these and your advice as to the criteria for ultimately deciding between them. I would normally have picked the Eagle F1 but as these both score almost identically and the EfficientGrip scores better for rolling resistance and tyre life I am swinging towards it instead but maybe the E rating of the Eagle F1 isn’t all bad and there are other factors I should consider. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

If you prefer a comfortable ride above all else, at the expense of sporty handling, then the EfficientGrip Performance 2 range is the choice. For me, I would put the Asymmetric 5 on the vehicle as I like to enjoy driving, and the real world difference between B and E in rolling resistance doesn't amount to a huge amount of extra petrol over the life of a tyre!

2021-03-05 - Which one should I choose between these one and GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5? Im looking for size 225/45/17 for Audi A3.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is the better tyre if you would prefer more comfort, and the Asymmetric 5 is the more sporty tyre.

2020-09-05 - What is the weight for a 205/55/16 tyre? Thanks

You can find the weight here

2020-10-25 - what is the country that made this model please? Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 size 205/55/16

It will depend on where you are in the world and what load and speed index you require. I suggest speaking to a local tyre dealer to find out where his stock of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is manufactured.

2021-04-07 - I am considering Goodyear EP2 and the BFG Advantage in 205/55/16 size. Inclination goes to the goodyear, but you say that the BFG is even more comfortable. Is there really a difference in comfort between these two? I have a Seat Leon which has some horrid tires, and want to swap them to the most comfortable on the market, but still retain some decent performance.

In my test the Goodyear and BFGoodrich were different load ratings so it's not the best comparison of comfort. I would suggest fitting the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as the other benefits of the tyre outweigh a very small increase in comfort for a tyre with lesser abilities overall.

EfficientGrip Performance 2 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 100% while driving a Toyota Auris (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 easy going miles
Been looking for new set of summer tyres after decided to change my wheels size too, I went from 17” wheels down to 16” and fitted new set of Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, latest model tyres, they were made in week 7 of 2020 and I fitted them in week 8 of 2020, absolutely brand new and fresh rubber. So far so good, traveled around 1000 miles and tyres are excellent, performance, comfort, even though they are smaller size there is no negative performance, corners great, braking in both dry and wet is good, car feels very positive to drive , noise level also good. This is the first review of these new model efficient grip performance as other reviews are for the older model, I been using the previous egp for years and now I think my tyres for the next few years are exactly those especially if they last as they are advertised . Highly recommend to try them. They are made in Germany too. 👍
136 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2020
Given 98% while driving a Audi a3 s line (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Hello I am from Cyprus and my car is Audi A3 sportback. I have before Chinese tyres davandi and after intertrac tyres. Very bad tyres don’t buy this brands. After that I decided to buy a better tyres. For the last 3 years I used them Continental contisport contact 5. It was good tyres I don’t have anything bad to say about this tyres. After the Continental I did my research and I decided to buy the Goodyear efficiendgrip performance 2. I have this tyres 1 month now and it’s absolutely amazing tyres. I don’t Know yet for the wet grip and for the wear. I pushed my car to the limits and my tyres give me a very good feeling they give me confidence a safety filing. I have to say it’s very comfortable tyres I don’t feel the pumps and the bad roads in Cyprus and it’s very silently too I don’t hear anything to the cabin. I will give a better review in 6 months. I am sorry for my bad English
54 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
I just bought these tires today and drove them for 50km. My previous tires were the predecessors: Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. I drove them 53.000km on the same Golf MK5 and the thread went down to 4mm, I could still drive them for 20.000km more if I need to, but I wanted to refresh my Golf with better ride. This is just the initial impression, these tyres are similar to the old ones, which were already great except for the noise, they were noisy and the comfort was just average. The new ones are less noisy and more comfortable. I will update this review over time with more info.
47 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2021
Have you driven on the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 >

Latest Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a Ford Focus (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Fitted these Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 on my Ford Focus, immediately after driving out of the tyre fitment centre I felt the steering to be much lighter and smoother. As driving on the highway it felt smooth and grippy, also very quiet. Absolutely a pleasure of a tyre and also has a sportier sidewall look to it when admiring my car from the side. Previously had Continental Premium Contact 2 which wore out very quicky, I replaced them the second time with the same Continental only to learn that the Continental wears out too fast and is also more expensive, it also chips of pieces of the tyre as it gets worn out. I will never use Continental again, it's marketed as a great tyre but I think that the Goodyear is better. The Continental also made my steering feel tight and I thought that the car was built that way. With the Goodyear tyres I am actually enjoying driving my car, it feels like a new car and I even took a longer route home just to feel the pleasure of these tyres. The rolling resistance is also much better as compared to the Continental which felt like it is holding the car back. I read some reviews saying that the Goodyear has softer sidewall so that is my only concern now, hope that it don't pop on a pothole or something. Only dislike is it feels a little hard over the speed humps but the ford also has a stiffer suspension so that also could play a role. I have not gooten a chance to drive in wet conditions yet but I am guessing that it will do well in the wet too. Either way I love the feel of these tyres, tried other tyres on my cars but this one seems the best. Well done Goodyear team on the Efficient Grip Performance 2 tyre.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 23, 2021
Given 68% while driving a Chevrolet 2012 Cruze (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
I like to push the tyres to the limit on different roads. I never go "Full Nukage" mode on them though. I got 225/50/R17 94W DOT 3820 ones, Goodyear Efficientgrip performance 2, made in Poland. My 1st impression was that, when I go a bit more aggressive into a 90 degree corner - it gives a feeling like side wall of the tyre is made from foam/sponge material. Too soft for my type of driving. Same is with high speed corners on a high way. It doesn't give me much confidence( racing line entered and left the corner, just for fun since no one was around ). Even though I knew I will exit the corner (with these new tyres ) with no problems, at that speed - I felt insecure. I am well aware this is not racing, high performance, ultra ect tyre...But it felt like I'm driving like Viking budget tyre or something ( Yes, I drove on those, also on several premium ones). :) I was at my friends place the other day. At that point I had only front ones EffiGrip performance 2, and I left 2 older ones ( effigrip 1) on the rear wheels. We looked at the tyres and compared side walls at exactly the same tyre pressure - effigrip performance 2 looked like they are deflated. Side wall was round, and on my older ones side wall was almost straight ( Yes, I know the car is heavier at the front, ofc, but difference was huge anyways). In my opinion - this is a tyre for smoother ride, safer ride. Compare to effigrip performance 1 - older one was more sporty, more direct when you get pedal to the floor. You get that secure feeling, like the tyre is telling you: " We're at the limit, but don't worry, I got you..." . Then you correct the throttle and exit from the corner with the smile on your face. With effigrip 2 is more like - aight, that went better than I felt it will through middle of the corner. Braking was very good, and judging by my computers data - car loves these tyres when it comes to fuel economy. Tyres that I had before these were Efficientgrip performance 1 ( or original, or w/e you wanna call it). It just gives the feeling these new ones are just too soft on the side wall when entering corner. There is no that "snappy feeling" you get from Performance 1 when you're entering the corner. That almost instant change of direction. Comfort - hands down, more confortable than EffGrip Performance 1 ( probably due to different design and softer side wall. Buy again - Nope. Not the tyre for my type of driving. Will probably keep therm until next summer. EffGrip performance 1 was just better for me. EfficientGrip Performance 1 - good and comfortable tyre that can surprise you how good it can be when sometimes you want to have some fun in the corners at higher speeds. EfficientGrip Performance 2 - good and comfotable. It is good in cornering. Not a confidence booster, doesn't provide lots of feedback = No fun when you want to have some. I hope I helped with this observation since I had an opportunity to compare effigrip 1 and 2 on my car, and give my thoughts about it. Anyways, I'll be changing these for some other. Maybe Eagle f1 or maybe other manufacturer. Cheers and thank you, Filip.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2021
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 100% while driving a Suzuki Vitara 2015> (215/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Having looked at the many options for a new set of summer tyres (replacements for old worn Continental ContiEco5 with 4mm tread / 3 years old / 19000miles). My prime goals were quality, low cabin noise and comfort on bumpy single-lanes here in Suffolk. Initially, I short-listed mid and high brand tyres based on low EU noise ‘wave’ & dB ratings. However after reading more about tyre noise, it seems ‘pass-by’ noise [the EU measurement] does not necessarily correlate to ‘cabin noise’. Tyre manuacturers are clever and can design treads to direct noise in directionally! Knowing this, I relaxed my selection based purely on EU pass-by noise rating. In the end I went for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyres. Just look at the customer review ratings, a modern tyre with strong ‘all round’ performance. (As a bonus, the price is reasonable and a national chain happened to have these on offer that my local tyre outlet price-matched, plus the Goodyear cashback scheme on-top made these an unexpected even happier purchase.) Having just done 800 miles on the A1, I was really pleased to have changed, these tyres gave confidence and seemed quiet enough. Thank you Tyre Reviews.
3 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Kia Motors Cerato Forte (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 5,000 average miles
hi, im driver from Singapore, been driving with my 4 new pcs of Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 for 8000km in city drive, tyre wear is fantastic thanks to the mileage plus technology. The car comfort level is exceptional with relatively quiet, . The dry/wet grip is amazing as well. Aquaplaning is acceptable as i not a aggressive driving when raining.Cornering is very firm and steady as per advertised. this tyre definitely meet all my expectations. highly recommended.
4 - tyre reviewed on June 11, 2021
Given 93% while driving a BMW 320d touring (205/50 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
Before buying these tyres I had nexen eco hd plus but decided to upgrade to a premium tyre i done research and Goodyear came out on top. Since having them the difference is brilliant grips very well in the wet and dry conditions just as good the rolling resistance is great and noticed better fuel economy as for wear I've only done 1000 miles but from other reviews I'm sure they'll live upto their reputation.
2 - tyre reviewed on June 6, 2021
Given 73% while driving a Renault Laguna II (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 average miles
Honestly I have to say that if you are looking for fuel saving tyres with good grip and good handling then-Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is the right tyre for you . And if you are looking for really comfortable tyres even when outside temperature is very low then look for Uniroyal Rainsport 3 ! NOT a 5 ! And on the top of it, this Uniroyal's will get you safely at a high speed trough the deep patches of water on motorways ! If only a grip is better I will definitely buy Rainsport 3 again and again ! Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is NOT comfortable as stated maybe in 15 & 16 inch sizes but definitely NOT 17 inch and above !!! I have just done some longer driving on M5 Motorway with temperature around 17-18 degrees and not really impressed with as there is no comfort present at all ! I'm NOT interested in tyre longevity as I love fresh rubber !!! So I won't be probably buying Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 again !??! And question is what tyre to buy next time as they are nearly all the same expensive dream ! There should be something like a try before you buy without any doubt !
10 - tyre reviewed on March 29, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Volkswagen Mk7 Golf 1.4 Tsi 150hp ACT (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
Just before Xmas, my Mk7 Golf 1.4 TSI 150hp needed some new rubber, so decided to change all 4. Previously I was using Bridgestone Turenza’s. Great grip but very noisy. After fitting the Goodyear’s I can’t believe how much it’s transformed the car. Very quiet. Great in wet, icy and dry conditions. The comfort level is awesome too, and dare I say, these are probably the best tyres I’ve ever purchased. Would buy again 100%.
14 - tyre reviewed on January 14, 2021
Given 90% while driving a Renault Captur (225/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 30,000 easy going miles
Brand new car with brand new tyres. A little to early to be optimistic or critical, will check back next year.
4 - tyre reviewed on January 6, 2021
Given 93% while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I had to change all 4 tyres on my Focus 215/50/R17 95W XL after 4 years (since new) and 87126 km/54137mles. The original tyres where Michelin Primacy HP and I think they lasted a lot (they still had legal thread on them) but besides endurance they where a very bad tyre. At the end of they're life, the grip on dry was very poor and on wet roads....well...... very tail happy. Out with the old and in with the new Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2. First off, the comfort level it's huge in comparison. A very very comfortable tyre that absorbs bumps and potholes very well and a quiet tyre... most of the times. The grip is good too in the dry and I didn't had yet a chance to drive on a wet road (I live In S-E of Spain and we don't get to much rain even now in winter) but instead I drove on a damp-ish road and it was ok (more updates on this when it rains). The inputs feel ok, it doesn't loose traction easy and again, a very smooth tyre. The negatives: -from 50-60 km/h and again around 140km/h there is a noise/humming kind of coming from the tyres and I don't know why is it doing that. I had the tyres balanced and aligned of course. - I had to drive on a dirt road for about 400-500m and I guess, because of the design/patern of the tyre, the side of the car and the back of course got very very dusty. I bet on a wet day the side of the car will get very very dirty but maybe it's a good thing - water evacuation... will see and I will come back on that. - maybe because it absorbs bumps very well it feels like a soft tyre and I am afraid that they will not last as much as the MIchelins but time will tell. I am very happy with my choice and I hope they will last me at least 60k km. I was not happy about the price though but it's not the manufacturers fault. It's an expensive size 215/50/R17. I paid 517€ fited and alignment and everything, but in comparison for 4 Michelin Primacy 4 I would have had to pay 635€. For me that's a good saving, Maybe next time I will downgrade to a 16'' rim because they take 205/55/R16 and that's 410€ for the Michelin and about 370€ for the Goodyear.
7 - tyre reviewed on January 2, 2021
Given 96% while driving a Ford Focus (205/60 R16 H) on mostly town for 1,000 spirited miles
Very good in the dry and completely exceptional in wet conditions. It's as if they come alive it the worst wet conditions... imagine driving through standing water and feeling as assured when in the dry. The comfort levels on road humps were a big improvement over the Continental ECO Contact 5 which the 2019 Focus MK4 came with. This new rubber could be the benchmark for Premium Touring tyres.
12 - tyre reviewed on December 15, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 HDI (90) Sport (205/55 R16) on mostly country roads for 17,000 spirited miles
I have a peugeot 207sw 1.6hdi. I have normally bought either continental or toyos for my car, which only last about 12 months (10000 miles) to the wear indicators. Decided on these goodyears this time, so glad i did. Goodyear EG2 are fabulous. Wet grip when new to below half tread is phonominal and dry grip is better than the toyo cf2 and continentals by a long way. And as a bonus the Goodyears are very noticably quieter. They last much longer even though they are softer feeling. I drive pretty quickly everywhere and my daily drive has several tight corners, narrow regularly flooded sections and roundabouts. And i am now about to buy the goodyear EG2's again after 20 months and 17000 miles. Top tip: try searching for slightly different sized tyres then what is fitted to your car. For example, my car is supposed to have 195/55/16. The Goodyear EG2's were £94.76 each fitted. But by changing the tyre size slightly to 205/55/16 they came in at £62.99 each fitted. Thats one hell of a difference AND they are slightly wider! Obviously before you buy bigger tyres, check that you have enough clearance to the suspension and arches. Or you could go down a size and may have a good saving. I was told by my fitter that the price difference is due to the bigger tyre being much more common size so the price is lower!
12 - tyre reviewed on November 10, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Volkswagen golf 2.0 gt tdi (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
These tyres transformed my car. I have always had Pirelli P7 Cinturato for several years. They were very noisy, especially the rears. I was convinced my wheel bearings were worn or that it was just poor soundproofing on my car, but I was wrong. I could not get the Pirellis this time and was recommended the Goodyear's. I needed all 4. All the road noise completely disappeared and the car handles and drives better than ever in all conditions. I have not done enough miles to comment on wear yet, but even if they wear worse than the Pirellis, I will 100 percent buy again.
9 - tyre reviewed on October 9, 2020