Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

Tyre review data from 61 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 421,518 miles driven.

The EfficientGrip Performance 2 is ranked 11th of 139 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

2022 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 22 tyres

• Positive - Premium performance with excellent handling, short braking, lowest wear on test, best value on test, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive.

2022 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 15 Inch - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Excellent wear, very good, especially in the wet, good on dry roads.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 performs well on both dry and wet surfaces. However, it secures first place in the ranking with its very good wear properties. All in all, the Goodyear offers the roundest overall package in the field and is clearly highly recommended.

2022 AZ SUV Tyre Test - 3rd of 10 tyres

• Overall - Third place for the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2, it offered high levels of grip in the wet and dry and also has particularly low noise.

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

2020-07-16 - Thanks for all your excellent and comprehensive reviews! I usually put Goodyear tyres on my 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible as they almost always rate very highly in tests. It takes 205/50 R17 93Ws. I am attracted to the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it scores very highly in all categories. The EU rating is A for wet grip and B for rolling resistance. It is described as a premium touring tyre. It seems to be new though and there aren’t as many tests available for it. My normal choice would have been the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. This is also A rated for wet grip but only E for rolling resistance. It is described as a max performance tyre. Both of the above are available in the size I need and I am genuinely conflicted as to which of them would be the best choice for my BMW. It is a powerful car and heavy in convertible form. The two tyres each rate highly among their category peers (touring/ max performance) but, because of the different categories, I can’t find a review/ test that rates them against each other. The EfficientGrip seems to be perfectly adequate for the weight & speed ratings required for my car. I note that the Eagle F1 is the only option in larger tyre sizes that might be required for a high performance car and my feeling is that the Eagle F1 would be better suited for spirited driving but I am concerned about the E rating for rolling resistance. I would be grateful for your input in choosing between these and your advice as to the criteria for ultimately deciding between them. I would normally have picked the Eagle F1 but as these both score almost identically and the EfficientGrip scores better for rolling resistance and tyre life I am swinging towards it instead but maybe the E rating of the Eagle F1 isn’t all bad and there are other factors I should consider. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

If you prefer a comfortable ride above all else, at the expense of sporty handling, then the EfficientGrip Performance 2 range is the choice. For me, I would put the Asymmetric 5 on the vehicle as I like to enjoy driving, and the real world difference between B and E in rolling resistance doesn't amount to a huge amount of extra petrol over the life of a tyre!

2021-03-05 - Which one should I choose between these one and GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5? Im looking for size 225/45/17 for Audi A3.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is the better tyre if you would prefer more comfort, and the Asymmetric 5 is the more sporty tyre.

2020-09-05 - What is the weight for a 205/55/16 tyre? Thanks

You can find the weight here

2020-10-25 - what is the country that made this model please? Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 size 205/55/16

It will depend on where you are in the world and what load and speed index you require. I suggest speaking to a local tyre dealer to find out where his stock of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is manufactured.

2021-04-07 - I am considering Goodyear EP2 and the BFG Advantage in 205/55/16 size. Inclination goes to the goodyear, but you say that the BFG is even more comfortable. Is there really a difference in comfort between these two? I have a Seat Leon which has some horrid tires, and want to swap them to the most comfortable on the market, but still retain some decent performance.

In my test the Goodyear and BFGoodrich were different load ratings so it's not the best comparison of comfort. I would suggest fitting the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as the other benefits of the tyre outweigh a very small increase in comfort for a tyre with lesser abilities overall.

2022-01-11 - What is the commanded cold Tyre pressure of the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 205/55R/16 91W?

The tyre pressures are vehicle dependant so please check your handbook or door shut for the correct pressure.

2022-05-31 - I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Colt Czt with 205/45/16 tires. This car is the only one that i have and it serves all kind of purposes, i have bc coilovers and powerflex all around cause i like some spirited driving on the many twisted roads here in Greece. Since this tyre size has little options i'm between Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and Efficientgrip Performance 2. Due to different tyre categories each on is in i can't decide which one is better for my purpose.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 will likely offer the best comfort, lowest fuel use and best wet grip. The Asymmetric 2 will likely handle the best in the dry, and the PS3 will be somewhere in between.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 100% while driving a Toyota Auris (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 easy going miles
Been looking for new set of summer tyres after decided to change my wheels size too, I went from 17” wheels down to 16” and fitted new set of Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, latest model tyres, they were made in week 7 of 2020 and I fitted them in week 8 of 2020, absolutely brand new and fresh rubber. So far so good, traveled around 1000 miles and tyres are excellent, performance, comfort, even though they are smaller size there is no negative performance, corners great, braking in both dry and wet is good, car feels very positive to drive , noise level also good. This is the first review of these new model efficient grip performance as other reviews are for the older model, I been using the previous egp for years and now I think my tyres for the next few years are exactly those especially if they last as they are advertised . Highly recommend to try them. They are made in Germany too. 👍
Helpful 180 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2020
Given 98% while driving a Audi a3 s line (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Hello I am from Cyprus and my car is Audi A3 sportback. I have before Chinese tyres davandi and after intertrac tyres. Very bad tyres don’t buy this brands. After that I decided to buy a better tyres. For the last 3 years I used them Continental contisport contact 5. It was good tyres I don’t have anything bad to say about this tyres. After the Continental I did my research and I decided to buy the Goodyear efficiendgrip performance 2. I have this tyres 1 month now and it’s absolutely amazing tyres. I don’t Know yet for the wet grip and for the wear. I pushed my car to the limits and my tyres give me a very good feeling they give me confidence a safety filing. I have to say it’s very comfortable tyres I don’t feel the pumps and the bad roads in Cyprus and it’s very silently too I don’t hear anything to the cabin. I will give a better review in 6 months. I am sorry for my bad English
Helpful 98 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
I just bought these tires today and drove them for 50km. My previous tires were the predecessors: Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. I drove them 53.000km on the same Golf MK5 and the thread went down to 4mm, I could still drive them for 20.000km more if I need to, but I wanted to refresh my Golf with better ride. This is just the initial impression, these tyres are similar to the old ones, which were already great except for the noise, they were noisy and the comfort was just average. The new ones are less noisy and more comfortable. I will update this review over time with more info.
Helpful 88 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2021
Have you driven on the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 >

Latest Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 87% while driving a Honda Accord CTDi (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 15,000 average miles
had these on front of diesel accord , comfort was good and grip was great in both dry and wet as for braking lucky enough never had to ram the brakes on in dry or wet, the wear seems good still about 5 mm left after about 15000 miles, they are on the back now as fronts now have asymmetric 6 fitted.
Helpful 0 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2022
Given 76% while driving a Toyota Corolla (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 6,000 miles
Excellent grip in wet and dry conditions with good handling but after 6,000 miles I’ve had 5 punctures ! With 2 tyres needing replacement. Yes it has been unusually wet in UK, but in 20 years driving I’ve only previously had a couple of punctures until now. Maybe I’ve just been extremely unlucky but I can’t help thinking that the increased grip that these tyres undoubtedly have somehow makes them more prone to picking up screws and nails. I love the grip and handling but would never buy these again.
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on December 23, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 68% while driving a Volkswagen Golf (195/65 R15) on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
So far tried Michelin Energy Saver (ES), Continental Premium Contact 5 (PC5) and now these Goodyear Efficient Grip 2’s (EG2) on my car. The Efficient Grip 2’s are basically like half way tyre between the Energy Savers and Premium Contact 5’s. EG2 have a softer ride and are a touch quieter than the PC5. Definitely less fidget over broken surfaces and thumps from the suspension on bigger bumps are a bit quieter too. EG2 therefore don’t respond to changes in direction as readily as PC5. There is more squidge in the initial turn in and the car feels less keyed into the road surface. They do grip well however. EG2 the steering feels more gloopy than PC5, this is especially apparent when temperatures drop below 5 degrees. EG2 don’t respond to low temperatures as well as PC5 and start to behave like ES. More understeer on wet surfaces especially. Inconsistent steering weights become apparent in very cold temperatures, less than 3 degrees. EG2 has similar fuel economy to ES. I regularly get 310-330 miles per tank driving around town. On PC5 doing the same routes, I got 280 - 290 miles per tank. Overall if I had to buy new tyres for my car again, I’d get the Premium Contact 7’s when they are released. I much preferred the PC5’s consistency across temperatures and sporty response. I would sacrifice a bit of ride comfort and fuel economy for this.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on December 12, 2022
Given 87% while driving a Kia Motors Ceed 1.6LS (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,500 spirited miles
Came from the Goodyear F1A3 and wanted something more comfort biased, and this is a perfect balance between comfort and performance, almost similar performance to the F1A3 (75-80%) while having superior comfort and noise and rolling resistance, ontop of that handling is still fun as you still get road feedback. But as it is a softer tyre, at high speed cornering you can feel the car roll more compared to harder UHP tyres, but that is just how things are. Overall totally great buy in my opinion. Highly recommended.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2022
Given 60% while driving a Peugeot 407 1.8 Petrol (205/60 R16) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
After 10000 miles I can say they are the worst tires I have ever bought. I drive in Greece (Athens, Thessaloniki) and quite a lot on motorways. The grip on dry surfaces is the worst I've ever experienced. In normal atmospheric and street temperatures the tyres are so bad even when I start moving the car smoothly, after being stopped at traffic lights. In low speed corners (40kmh) again I feel that the car has no traction at all. Compared to the previous tyres I've bought, Vredestein Sportrac 5 and Ultac Satin, or even the Continental Wintercontact TS 870 winter tyres (under almost same conditions) there is a huge difference in dry grip. They also make a lot of noise and finally when I drive at low speeds and have to brake, the ABS is activated which is not normal. At least on wet surfaces the car seems to behave well. Generally no comfortable at all with these tyres on the car
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2022
Given 93% while driving a SEAT Leon FR 1.4 EcoTSI (205/55 R16) on mostly country roads for 8,000 average miles
Awesome all around tyre. drove mostly on the country side/motorway. wet grip is excellent and they shine on dry asphalt. Before i had some contisport 5 225/45 R17 (i downsized). best choice of my life probably haha. these are a LOT more comfy and quiet after 13000km, they lost practically zero tread would definetly buy them again
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on October 18, 2022
Given 49% while driving a Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (225/50 R17) on for 18,000 miles
I'm surprised at the positive reviews.i found these tyres very disappointing in all areas.in particular wet grip very poor.constant wheel spins pulling off.
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on September 4, 2022
Given 99% while driving a Ford Mondeo (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
205/55/16 the best touring tyre overall....
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on July 25, 2022
Given 73% while driving a Audi A4 (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Good allrounder but was expecting more comfort from a touring tyre. Downsides are aquaplaning, which is really bad, and cofort which is average at best. Performance in other fields is as expected and promised by reviews.
Helpful 8 - tyre reviewed on June 19, 2022
Saab Automobile 9000 Turbo (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 0 average miles
205/55 R16 91W weight is 8.55kg, Made in Poland.
Helpful 13 - tyre reviewed on June 13, 2022
Given 90% while driving a Audi A3 Sportback (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I've been running Goodyear tyres consistently for around 10 years now and I don't think I'd buy any other make from now on. During that time i've always defaulted to F1 Asymmetric (2's, 3's and 5's) but thought I fancied something more comfort biased for once. These are incredible tyres and I think the best I've ever had in 30 years of driving. Smooth, quiet, comfortable yet still dynamic, sporty and fun when required. Just an excellent all round summer tyre that suits my style of driving (brisk but not mad into corners etc). Absolutely superb.
Helpful 13 - tyre reviewed on June 5, 2022
Given 80% while driving a Skoda (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,500 average miles
I got the tyres for a very reasonable price and since tests and reviews were very positive I put them on when my old Conti Premium Contact 2e and 5 needed to be changed. The grip is excellent. I had no need to slam on the brakes so far but the grip in curves is hilarious, be it dry or wet. So, I guess that an emergency stop would make no issues, too. What I really appreciate is that the tyres do not tend to oversteer (compared to the previous Contis where the understeering on my car which tends to understeer anyway was quite pronounced). You can really be quite confident to keep the curve well even at somewhat higher speeds. Fuel consumption is on par with the old tyres and since newer tyres typically have a higher consumption I am quite happy about this. There is one thing, though, that I was not happy with at all. The tyres feel quite "spongy" and imprecise. The tyres just react a bit late and it feels like you are somehow swimming on the road. Not saying that they are not safe in driving but you feel like you have to put some effort into steering the car properly. This is something I do not remember having experienced with other tyres. I heightened the pressure over the recommended values (+3 PSI) to compensate for this and that did indeed improve the handling considerably. Let's see what this does to the wear but I do not assume massive problems here since wear should be good anyway.
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2022