Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

Tyre review data from 36 tyre reviews averaging 92% over 217,540 miles driven.

The EfficientGrip Performance 2 is ranked 3rd of 127 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

2021 Sport Auto Summer Tyre Test - 4th of 11 tyres

• Positive - The EfficientGrip Performance 2 has good aquaplaning resistance, excellent steering during lane change maneuvers, and good levels of comfort.
  • Negative - Long dry and wet braking distances.
  • Overall - Good.

2021 ACE / GTU Summer Tyre Test - 9th of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on wet surfaces, low noise level, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Low resistance to aquaplaning.
  • Overall - Recommended.

2021 ADAC Summer Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 4th of 15 tyres

• Positive - Lowest wear, good in the wet, low fuel consumption.
  • Negative - Slightly weaker on dry roads.
  • Overall - The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 has average steering and can feel imprecise during dry handling, though the dry braking result was good. The tyre performs well in the wet, has a low fuel consumption and a big margin in wear, doubling the worst tyre on test.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

Questions and Answers for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2

2020-07-15 - Thanks for all your excellent and comprehensive reviews! I usually put Goodyear tyres on my 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible as they almost always rate very highly in tests. It takes 205/50 R17 93Ws. I am attracted to the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it scores very highly in all categories. The EU rating is A for wet grip and B for rolling resistance. It is described as a premium touring tyre. It seems to be new though and there aren’t as many tests available for it. My normal choice would have been the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. This is also A rated for wet grip but only E for rolling resistance. It is described as a max performance tyre. Both of the above are available in the size I need and I am genuinely conflicted as to which of them would be the best choice for my BMW. It is a powerful car and heavy in convertible form. The two tyres each rate highly among their category peers (touring/ max performance) but, because of the different categories, I can’t find a review/ test that rates them against each other. The EfficientGrip seems to be perfectly adequate for the weight & speed ratings required for my car. I note that the Eagle F1 is the only option in larger tyre sizes that might be required for a high performance car and my feeling is that the Eagle F1 would be better suited for spirited driving but I am concerned about the E rating for rolling resistance. I would be grateful for your input in choosing between these and your advice as to the criteria for ultimately deciding between them. I would normally have picked the Eagle F1 but as these both score almost identically and the EfficientGrip scores better for rolling resistance and tyre life I am swinging towards it instead but maybe the E rating of the Eagle F1 isn’t all bad and there are other factors I should consider. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

If you prefer a comfortable ride above all else, at the expense of sporty handling, then the EfficientGrip Performance 2 range is the choice. For me, I would put the Asymmetric 5 on the vehicle as I like to enjoy driving, and the real world difference between B and E in rolling resistance doesn't amount to a huge amount of extra petrol over the life of a tyre!

2021-03-05 - Which one should I choose between these one and GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5? Im looking for size 225/45/17 for Audi A3.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is the better tyre if you would prefer more comfort, and the Asymmetric 5 is the more sporty tyre.

2020-09-05 - What is the weight for a 205/55/16 tyre? Thanks

You can find the weight here

2020-10-25 - what is the country that made this model please? Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 size 205/55/16

It will depend on where you are in the world and what load and speed index you require. I suggest speaking to a local tyre dealer to find out where his stock of the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 is manufactured.

2021-04-07 - I am considering Goodyear EP2 and the BFG Advantage in 205/55/16 size. Inclination goes to the goodyear, but you say that the BFG is even more comfortable. Is there really a difference in comfort between these two? I have a Seat Leon which has some horrid tires, and want to swap them to the most comfortable on the market, but still retain some decent performance.

In my test the Goodyear and BFGoodrich were different load ratings so it's not the best comparison of comfort. I would suggest fitting the EfficientGrip Performance 2 as the other benefits of the tyre outweigh a very small increase in comfort for a tyre with lesser abilities overall.

EfficientGrip Performance 2 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 100% while driving a Toyota Auris (205/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 easy going miles
Been looking for new set of summer tyres after decided to change my wheels size too, I went from 17” wheels down to 16” and fitted new set of Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, latest model tyres, they were made in week 7 of 2020 and I fitted them in week 8 of 2020, absolutely brand new and fresh rubber. So far so good, traveled around 1000 miles and tyres are excellent, performance, comfort, even though they are smaller size there is no negative performance, corners great, braking in both dry and wet is good, car feels very positive to drive , noise level also good. This is the first review of these new model efficient grip performance as other reviews are for the older model, I been using the previous egp for years and now I think my tyres for the next few years are exactly those especially if they last as they are advertised . Highly recommend to try them. They are made in Germany too. 👍
143 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2020
Given 98% while driving a Audi a3 s line (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
Hello I am from Cyprus and my car is Audi A3 sportback. I have before Chinese tyres davandi and after intertrac tyres. Very bad tyres don’t buy this brands. After that I decided to buy a better tyres. For the last 3 years I used them Continental contisport contact 5. It was good tyres I don’t have anything bad to say about this tyres. After the Continental I did my research and I decided to buy the Goodyear efficiendgrip performance 2. I have this tyres 1 month now and it’s absolutely amazing tyres. I don’t Know yet for the wet grip and for the wear. I pushed my car to the limits and my tyres give me a very good feeling they give me confidence a safety filing. I have to say it’s very comfortable tyres I don’t feel the pumps and the bad roads in Cyprus and it’s very silently too I don’t hear anything to the cabin. I will give a better review in 6 months. I am sorry for my bad English
64 - tyre reviewed on August 5, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 100 average miles
I just bought these tires today and drove them for 50km. My previous tires were the predecessors: Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. I drove them 53.000km on the same Golf MK5 and the thread went down to 4mm, I could still drive them for 20.000km more if I need to, but I wanted to refresh my Golf with better ride. This is just the initial impression, these tyres are similar to the old ones, which were already great except for the noise, they were noisy and the comfort was just average. The new ones are less noisy and more comfortable. I will update this review over time with more info.
58 - tyre reviewed on May 4, 2021
Have you driven on the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 >

Latest Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 Reviews

Given 96% while driving a Renault Clio 1.4 sports tourer (195/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 0 easy going miles
Renault Clio 1.6 GT line sports tourer petrol 2011 . Previous tyres Michelin energy saver plus which delaminated. and heavy cracking Great tyres for wear Now unavailable Replaced with Goodyear Efficient Grip 2. Wider tyre with Rim protection which is very nice. Good looking tyre three tread.groves on this size 8.5 mm new. Total Transformation on Ride Quality Comfort and Noise. Waited 6 months for these tyres to come through on sizing. 195 50 16 88V Extra Load Tyres made In France Noticeably stronger stopping on dry roads and excellent responce on steering and stopping on resent heavy rain and downpours. Very stable at Motorway speeds and again very quite Vehicle feels Far more secure and responsive. Fuel consumption has improved also . Well worth the patience wating for these tyres. Treadwear 360 on sidewalls . To early to assess wear but I am sure these superb tyres will fullfill all promises from all the reviews on the tyre tests. Anyone considering these tyres just go and buy them.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Ford Ecosport (205/60 R16) on for 10,000 spirited miles
This tire is the best I have worn in my car. I recommend it to everyone.
2 - tyre reviewed on October 14, 2021
Mercedes Benz (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 5,000 average miles
Good grip in the dry. Low nise. Comfortable Very good road feed back
2 - tyre reviewed on October 11, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Audi A3 (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 100 easy going miles
10 out of 10 . ive got 4 goodyear efficient grip performance 2 on my audi a3 they are a very good quality premium tyres for great grip which is excellent in all weathers and perfect tyres for high miles that i do on motorways.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 6, 2021
Given 99% while driving a Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140 (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 13,000 average miles
Bought these tires in May 2020 and ever since I am truly happy with them. I had many others like Michelin Primacy 4 which wore out quicker than my slippers and Turanza ones which were deadly in the slightest wet conditions. So after these reading the actual test of these I bought them 17months ago and never had an issue with them. Good grip on wet road without slipping, less road noise than any of the previous tires I had before, wear is minimal after 13000 miles. Just swap them around once a year and they will be fine. Tyre pressure on front 2.2-2.3 Bar and 1.8-1.9 in the rear.
2 - tyre reviewed on October 3, 2021
Given 33% while driving a Mercedes Benz B200cdi (225/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 100 easy going miles
Replaced Efficient Grip 1 with Efficient Grip 2. The '2' tyres are NOISY and sing like the sand tyres on an army truck, not quite so loudly. The singing is noticeable at all speeds up to about 60mph when the noise is drowned out by other noise. Goodyear suggest checking the tracking (done, no effect) or putting the '2' tyres on the rear as well (not done, then there would be twice the noise!). The tread blocks appear to have some scrambling of geometry (which is usually done to prevent singing), but perhaps not enough. I don't understand how Goodyear have got this so wrong.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 30, 2021
Given 91% while driving a Citroën c3 Picasso 1.6 diesel (195/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
A massive improvement between the rainsport 5 that I had. Directivity is one of the tire that I had!
0 - tyre reviewed on September 23, 2021
Given 94% while driving a Volkswagen (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 2,000 easy going miles
I just bought the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 one month ago and drove them for 2900 km together with my my 2014 Golf Sportscombi 2,0 TDI 150 bhp I bought the same day. These tyres are the most silent ones I have ever experienced. And with the initial tread depth of 8,8 mm they will last me forever, I think. One of the amazing things is the lack of rollling resistance. My 2014 Golf Sportscombi 2,0 TDI 150 bhp delivers an average of 23,6 km/l and I am so impressed. These are my first GoodYear Tyres. They are not the last.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 7, 2021
Given 89% while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK6 1.6 tdi (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Excellent all round tire
2 - tyre reviewed on August 30, 2021
Given 90% while driving a Ford Focus (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Fitted these Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 on my Ford Focus, immediately after driving out of the tyre fitment centre I felt the steering to be much lighter and smoother. As driving on the highway it felt smooth and grippy, also very quiet. Absolutely a pleasure of a tyre and also has a sportier sidewall look to it when admiring my car from the side. Previously had Continental Premium Contact 2 which wore out very quicky, I replaced them the second time with the same Continental only to learn that the Continental wears out too fast and is also more expensive, it also chips of pieces of the tyre as it gets worn out. I will never use Continental again, it's marketed as a great tyre but I think that the Goodyear is better. The Continental also made my steering feel tight and I thought that the car was built that way. With the Goodyear tyres I am actually enjoying driving my car, it feels like a new car and I even took a longer route home just to feel the pleasure of these tyres. The rolling resistance is also much better as compared to the Continental which felt like it is holding the car back. I read some reviews saying that the Goodyear has softer sidewall so that is my only concern now, hope that it don't pop on a pothole or something. Only dislike is it feels a little hard over the speed humps but the ford also has a stiffer suspension so that also could play a role. I have not gooten a chance to drive in wet conditions yet but I am guessing that it will do well in the wet too. Either way I love the feel of these tyres, tried other tyres on my cars but this one seems the best. Well done Goodyear team on the Efficient Grip Performance 2 tyre.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 23, 2021
Given 68% while driving a Chevrolet 2012 Cruze (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
I like to push the tyres to the limit on different roads. I never go "Full Nukage" mode on them though. I got 225/50/R17 94W DOT 3820 ones, Goodyear Efficientgrip performance 2, made in Poland. My 1st impression was that, when I go a bit more aggressive into a 90 degree corner - it gives a feeling like side wall of the tyre is made from foam/sponge material. Too soft for my type of driving. Same is with high speed corners on a high way. It doesn't give me much confidence( racing line entered and left the corner, just for fun since no one was around ). Even though I knew I will exit the corner (with these new tyres ) with no problems, at that speed - I felt insecure. I am well aware this is not racing, high performance, ultra ect tyre...But it felt like I'm driving like Viking budget tyre or something ( Yes, I drove on those, also on several premium ones). :) I was at my friends place the other day. At that point I had only front ones EffiGrip performance 2, and I left 2 older ones ( effigrip 1) on the rear wheels. We looked at the tyres and compared side walls at exactly the same tyre pressure - effigrip performance 2 looked like they are deflated. Side wall was round, and on my older ones side wall was almost straight ( Yes, I know the car is heavier at the front, ofc, but difference was huge anyways). In my opinion - this is a tyre for smoother ride, safer ride. Compare to effigrip performance 1 - older one was more sporty, more direct when you get pedal to the floor. You get that secure feeling, like the tyre is telling you: " We're at the limit, but don't worry, I got you..." . Then you correct the throttle and exit from the corner with the smile on your face. With effigrip 2 is more like - aight, that went better than I felt it will through middle of the corner. Braking was very good, and judging by my computers data - car loves these tyres when it comes to fuel economy. Tyres that I had before these were Efficientgrip performance 1 ( or original, or w/e you wanna call it). It just gives the feeling these new ones are just too soft on the side wall when entering corner. There is no that "snappy feeling" you get from Performance 1 when you're entering the corner. That almost instant change of direction. Comfort - hands down, more confortable than EffGrip Performance 1 ( probably due to different design and softer side wall. Buy again - Nope. Not the tyre for my type of driving. Will probably keep therm until next summer. EffGrip performance 1 was just better for me. EfficientGrip Performance 1 - good and comfortable tyre that can surprise you how good it can be when sometimes you want to have some fun in the corners at higher speeds. EfficientGrip Performance 2 - good and comfotable. It is good in cornering. Not a confidence booster, doesn't provide lots of feedback = No fun when you want to have some. I hope I helped with this observation since I had an opportunity to compare effigrip 1 and 2 on my car, and give my thoughts about it. Anyways, I'll be changing these for some other. Maybe Eagle f1 or maybe other manufacturer. Cheers and thank you, Filip.
5 - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Suzuki Vitara 2015> (215/55 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Having looked at the many options for a new set of summer tyres (replacements for old worn Continental ContiEco5 with 4mm tread / 3 years old / 19000miles). My prime goals were quality, low cabin noise and comfort on bumpy single-lanes here in Suffolk. Initially, I short-listed mid and high brand tyres based on low EU noise ‘wave’ & dB ratings. However after reading more about tyre noise, it seems ‘pass-by’ noise [the EU measurement] does not necessarily correlate to ‘cabin noise’. Tyre manuacturers are clever and can design treads to direct noise in directionally! Knowing this, I relaxed my selection based purely on EU pass-by noise rating. In the end I went for the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 tyres. Just look at the customer review ratings, a modern tyre with strong ‘all round’ performance. (As a bonus, the price is reasonable and a national chain happened to have these on offer that my local tyre outlet price-matched, plus the Goodyear cashback scheme on-top made these an unexpected even happier purchase.) Having just done 800 miles on the A1, I was really pleased to have changed, these tyres gave confidence and seemed quiet enough. Thank you Tyre Reviews.
4 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2021