Michelin CrossClimate SUV

The Michelin CrossClimate SUV is a Premium Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4s.

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 126,615 miles driven.

The CrossClimate SUV is ranked 9th of 14 All Season Premium Touring tyres.

2019 Auto Bild 4x4 All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 12 tyres

• Positive - Exemplary all Season with stunning qualities on ice and snow, dynamic and sporty behaviour on dry handling, highest safety for aquaplaning, precise steering.
  • Negative - None mentioned.

2019 Auto Bild All Season SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 9 tyres

• Positive - A strong allrounder with sport dynamic handling in the dry, and good in the snow and wet. Low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Expensive.

2018 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Best in the dry, almost matching the summer tyre, good in the wet, low fuel use.
  • Negative - Long braking distances in the snow (but still many times better than a summer tyre)
  • Overall - Highly Recommended.
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/45 R20 105W XL   C B 70 14.28kgs
265/45 R20 108Y XL   C B 70 14.27kgs
275/45 R20 110Y XL   C B 70 14.78kgs

Questions and Answers for the Michelin CrossClimate SUV

2017-01-15 - What is the difference between the CrossClimate and CrossClimate SUV tyres? Why should I not have standard passenger CrossClimates fitted to my AWD vehicle?

The CrossClimate and CrossClimate SUV tyres are generally separated by size and load rating. There should be very few, if any crossover in the two sizes.

2017-06-27 - Are these CrossClimate SUV tyres any good off-road (I need tyres that are 50/50 for on/off road performance)?

The Michelin CrossClimate SUV will perform better offroad than a normal SUV summer tyre due to its design, but won't be as good as a true 50/50 ATR tyre.

2018-10-24 - Making a decision on tyres for cold weather and not sure which one to go for, need tyres for my Outlander PHEV and live in Yorkshire, it’s getting cold now and when it snows, the many hills become a bit treacherous, was looking at the CrossClimates, the size comes in both regular and SUV tyre, is it particularly important which one I go for or are they pretty much the same? The other tyres I was considering were Goodyear vector 4 gen 2 but the size is difficult to find. Lastly, the other tyre was full winters Conti TS860 S but can I run them all year as I only want one set of tyres? Which one would you recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated. By the way, great website and videos, keep up the good work. Under your advice I bought a set of Michelin PS4S for my weekend car, BEST THINGS EVER.

If you intend to run year round, I think the CrossClimate is the correct choice. Regarding the SUV or car version, I would assume the load ratings are different even if the sizes are the same, so fit whichever load rating works for your vehicle. Glad you're liking the PS4S!

2019-01-06 - Can you replace just two rear tyres on a 4x4 with the Michelin CrossClimate tyre without effecting safety. Watched the two tyre winter video which was really interesting but would fitting these tyres have the same effect being they are all season working with summer fronts.

Ideally you would replace all 4. In normal driving you might not notice a huge amount of difference, but when on snow or ice you will find you have grip to accelerate but no braking or turning.

2019-05-15 - What is the speed & heat rating on the CrossClimate SUV

It will be marked by the tyre retailer, it varies by size and sku.

2021-04-13 - Good evening, the MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE SUV is based on CROSS CLIMATE or CROSS CLIMATE+. And in addition it makes sense to buy a 4-season tire when we have about 70% traffic on dry road, 20% wet, 5% snow and 5% off-road. I live in Greece where we have sun 300 days a year.

Neither and both :) The difference between the CC and CC+ are very small. With sun 300 days a year I'd probably stick with a summer tyre, all season tyres work well in climates with long cold spells and snow.

CrossClimate SUV Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Michelin CrossClimate SUV Reviews

Given 96% while driving a Mercedes Benz MB GLK 220 CDI 4 matic (235/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
Based on your tests I got the Crossclimate SUV on my Mercedes GLK 220d 4matic. Drove 2 winters and 2 summers, thru snow, slush, wet, dry, scorching heat you name it. Outstanding performance in all conditions. And the biggest surprise was how comfortable they are. My wife noticed that immediately, said it felt like I did something to upgrade the suspension. They are also very quiet. In fact more quiet and comfortable than the Goodyear Efficient Grip I used as summer and Nokian WR3 SUV for winter.
193 - tyre reviewed on April 6, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Opel Mokka 1.4T 4x4 (215/55 R18) on mostly motorways for 3,000 average miles
Very good tyre in wet road and in light snow. I hadn't the opportunity to drive it in heavy snow. The consumption was increased by 0.5 l/100km in the first 3000 km. Opel Mokka 1.4T 4x4 (215/55/18). I recommend it for areas with frequent light snowfall.
147 - tyre reviewed on March 25, 2017
Given 86% while driving a Hyundai ix35 (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Have driven approx 12000 miles on Crossclimate 225/60 R17 tyres , on Hyundai ix35 4WD .
Very little visible wear, despite living in the country and French mountains, and driving fast though the bends on a lot of winding roads .
As I approach the limit and the drift sets in , the car remains balanced and controllable, with only minor understeer both in the dry and wet .
These are very well-mannered all round tyres, even in driving snow in the Alps .
44 - tyre reviewed on July 7, 2018
Have you driven on the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Michelin CrossClimate SUV? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Michelin CrossClimate SUV >

Latest Michelin CrossClimate SUV Reviews

Given 78% while driving a Ford Edge (255/45 R20) on a combination of roads for 28,000 average miles
End of life review. Had them for 28000 miles on a 2017 210HP Ford EDGE st-line. Best thing about them is the smooth ride. Dry grip was ok from the begining and still is but not as good as a Primacy 4(didn't even expect but still OK). Wet grip is disappointing they just make you wana brake when wet or slushy. Snow, mud, grass, gravel really good. Ice not tested. Overall coming from Michelin not as good as you would expect, I'm just looking for better in the same price range.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 10, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Auto (235/60 R18) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Decent tyre, but pricey and ugly
0 - tyre reviewed on August 13, 2021
Given 87% while driving a Volkswagen TOUAREG V6 TDI (275/45 R20 W) on mostly town for 12,000 average miles
A supremely quiet tyre with strong grip off the line and in all conditions. Always in control and decent feedback through the steering. After 2 years and 12k miles they still have 3mm of tread left given mostly city stop start conditions. The best tyre I’ve ever had. Better than the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and the Goodyear Eagle F1 3 I had previously on the Touareg. Would highly recommend. Gutted they don’t make it in 275/40 R21 for the new XC90
5 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2021
Given 62% while driving a Vauxhall Grandland X Ultimate (235/50 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 9,000 average miles
I’m very conflicted on these tyres. I’ve been driving with all seasons on my cars for the past 6 years (as I live in the Scottish Highlands), of a variety of brands and the Crossclimate SUV’s are exceptionally effective in every weather they encountered but are let down by two flaws. Firstly they are biblically firm riding! Going from Vredestein Quatrac Pro‘s to the Crossclimate’s made the ride feel like it was reinforced with concrete. Adding extra pressure to the tyres did nothing to change it. Finally the lifespan wasn’t great. They lasted 9200 miles before they wore to the tread markers. This was disappointing as the previous Quatrac’s and Pirelli Scorpion all seasons both lasted over 12k before needing replacement. Driving capability is great, comfort and lifespan are below par.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Audi Q3 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 15 average miles
Excellent tyre on audi q3 quattro. Will buy again
0 - tyre reviewed on December 7, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Subaru Outback (225/60 R18) on mostly country roads for 200 average miles
Just switched to the Michelin CC SUV from Bridgestone Dueler H/P summer tyres. However during this short period already, I am surprised by how much more comfort the CC SUV provide compared to the Bridgestones. The noise level is lower than before (which was already quite low) and I have the feeling that the CC SUV do absorb a little more bumps etc from the roads. The handling is yet a little bit more indirect compared to the Bridgestones, meaning slightly more space on the steering wheel. That feels less connected to the road, but not in an alarming or uncomfortable manner. However I expect this to improve once the tyres have seen more kilometers. I read somewhere else that they require some distance to fully grow their performance. So far I am happy with my choice and do not regret it. Yes they are expensive, but that should be marginalised once they last as long as promised.
3 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2020
Given 98% while driving a Toyota RAV4 (235/55 R18 R) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
2 years, 25k miles and 4 skiing trips to the Alps later, these tyres are still going strong. Grip and performance in all weathers has been excellent and have to be careful not to be overly confident in the snow, especially when braking as was caught out once! They are comfortable and quiet on the Autoroutes of France and more than cope with the back roads of Wales. They will get you anywhere in the snow.
10 - tyre reviewed on August 11, 2020
Given 67% while driving a Volkswagen Caravelle (235/55 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
It's the comfort that is lacking, quite rough and drones at continental motorway speeds. I have the 103 XL and I think the dampers seem to 'fight' with the side wall. I have tried putting in an extra pound psi which is better but not sure I would buy again
4 - tyre reviewed on July 14, 2020
Given 44% while driving a Mercedes Benz GL450 (255/55 R19) on a combination of roads for 300 average miles
Bad on gravel roads, blown 3 times in 2 months.
10 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2019
Porsche Cayenne 3.0 Diesel (275/45 R20 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
I don't feel compelled to often voice my views unless something is really bad....this is a first and I'd like to offer up my thoughts on the Excellent Cross Climate - they really are as good (11 out of 10) as other before me say. I've had them for just over 1000 miles now and the difference they've made is outstanding.

I replaced 4 Pirelli Scorpions All Season Verdes (N0 rated) that weren't fitted for long before I knew id made the wrong choice (see my other review on these). These Michelins are a world apart. I was sceptical as they're fairly new, a v shaped tread pattern and not Porsche rated - but they should be! Grip in all weathers is the best I've experienced, even spirited driving and gives me confidence in the cars ability to perform as it should. Hard braking no longer activates the ABS in dry, they really do 'stick' even in hotter weather. You can feel with your hand the difference in compounds to touch, the Michelin is softer and stickier moulding to the surface as the claim and the Pirellis hard and unforgiving.

The ride is quiet and noticeably softer but best of all its got rid of the tram lining, severe vibration, and awful balance issues I had with the Scorpions. Even after 1000 miles and several alignments there was some funny wear patterns emerging on them.

I would absolutely recommend these to anyone looking for a good all season tyre with a summer bias for UK weather. Although not tested in the snow and ice yet I'm sure they'd get me home safe.

One point to note is that the tread depth from new is a little under 7mm and with such a soft compound and heavy car I wonder if it will go the distance...having said that I don't really care I would just keep buying them,at such a good price point to - they're that good. I'd also be interested to see how the tread holds up to as I have seen reports and pictures of chunks of tread missing on higher mileage tyres that have maybe been used on rougher roads in Europe.

I'm extremely pleased with them, and would highly recommend them as the best All Season Tyre for the UK especially AWD and 4WD vehicles that do 90% on road. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them more as OEM fitment in the future.
33 - tyre reviewed on June 5, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Lexus RX 450h (235/55 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
They are excellent if you mostly drive in mixed weather with occasional snowy days. They will not break in the same manner as pure snow tyres but they will get you home and mobile in snowy weather. If you drive carefully as we all should after a sudden snowfall, they are excellent. Used with success on a Lexus RX which is all-wheel drive but not a Landrover but was far better than a Range Rover with Summer Tyres in the snow. Tyres are critical to car performance, pity the car manufacturers don't educate the public that your V8 turbo diesel Range isn't going anywhere if you have the wrong tyres.
16 - tyre reviewed on April 13, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (235/55 R18 V) on mostly country roads for 100 spirited miles
Replaced the standard Continentals on my Audi A6 Allroad with these - and wow what a transformation! The car is significantly quieter on the road, and handles well. Very very reassuring in the wet, and they are still quiet in the wet. Not had chance to try them on snow yet, but this is where they are supposed to excel. Got these to ensure I had good safety all year round, but have to say they are just great tyres!
28 - tyre reviewed on September 14, 2018