Firestone Firehawk SZ90

The Firestone Firehawk SZ90 is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Firestone firehawk S790.

Tyre review data from 23 tyre reviews averaging 69% over 261,525 miles driven.

The Firehawk SZ90 is ranked 103rd of 187 Summer High Performance tyres.

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 9th of 9 tyres

• Positive - Acceptable resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Unbalanced handling and long braking distances on wet and dry roads. High noise levels
  • Overall - Not recommended

2017 Auto Bild Sports Cars Tyre Test - 8th of 9 tyres

• Positive - Good resistance to aquaplaning, low rolling resistance, cheap
  • Negative - Low lateral stability, strong understeer and long braking distances on wet surfaces, slow response to steering and unbalanced behavior on dry surfaces
  • Overall - Not recommended

235/35 R19 91Y XL   E B 71 11.83kgs
255/35 R19 96Y XL   E A 72 11.32kgs

Questions and Answers for the Firestone Firehawk SZ90

2018-10-11 - Hi Are Firestone SZ90 directional tyres

No, the Firestone Firehawk SZ90 is an asymmetric tyre.

Firehawk SZ90 Prices

Top 3 Firestone Firehawk SZ90 Reviews

Given 86% while driving a Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
I'm really impressed by these tyres. Had a quick look at the reviews here before buying and there were several negative ones, which almost turn my decision on buying them. But actually the tyres are great in dry, wet, wet & cold handling and braking... They grip in turns with high speed and road feedback is good.
I can say they are a bit noisy, but it's not something bothering. Wear is less than 1mm after 15000km. Will buy again and recommend for sure!
71 - tyre reviewed on October 28, 2016
Given 74% while driving a Volkswagen golf 2.0 gt tdi (225/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 18,000 easy going miles
Decent tyres for the price. Wet grip good, dry grip good only negative is that they have started to crack at 3mm and 18000 miles.
7 - tyre reviewed on December 22, 2017
Given 69% while driving a Rover 75 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
I have recently bought a set of these tyres for my car having been informed that they had a new tread pattern. I have found that they have good cornering and braking characteristics in wet or dry conditions on all road surfaces.

I recently took a friend who races street cars as a hobby for a drive on dual carriageways and motorway and he even remarked how quiet they were regarding road noise over other comparable makes.

I would definitely recommend these tyres to anyone.
5 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2016
Have you driven on the Firestone Firehawk SZ90 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Firestone Firehawk SZ90? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Firestone Firehawk SZ90 >

Latest Firestone Firehawk SZ90 Reviews

Given 53% while driving a Opel Corsa D 1.4 (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 15 average miles
I don’t even care how this tyres are on dry or wet road because you can’t hear anything inside car except noise of tyres, this noise make you mad, no chance to handle it, never again firestone
3 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2018
Given 92% while driving a SEAT 1.4 TSI (195/55 R15) on mostly country roads for 80,000 average miles
Really great Tires. I had them on my new Seat. Lasted 80.000 km. They were used in all seasons. Great handling in every conditions. Hever had a problem with them. Great eaven on snow.
Very recommandable tire. I would buy it again for sure.
4 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2017
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 80% while driving a Mercedes Benz C180 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 17,500 average miles
Bought the tyres in May 2013, have done 28000 km with them. Two tyres down to wear sign, two still have about 3 mm. So I will change them in the spring with a new set of something else. They had very good grip on dry and wet, on curves the car was very stable, feedback also good, you felt the car when it started to slide. Negative aspects: noise, low comfort and high fuel consumption.
1 - tyre reviewed on November 13, 2016
Given 20% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 27,000 spirited miles
These tyres are hard, noisy and slippery compared with Pirelli Cinturato P1 and Fulda carat Progresso. Car is unstable on korners, not good handling on dry & wet surfaces and not safe feeling when driving faster on corners at all.
I recommend from my experience Fulda and Pirelli summer and winter tyres.
These tyres are not sport tyres at all, I wouldn't buy again and don't recommend them to anyone.

1 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2016
Given 43% while driving a Audi A3 2.0T Sporkback (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Very noisy after 90mph and feeling insecure eve tho I have sport suspension. Wouldnt buy again.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 21, 2016
Given 61% while driving a SEAT Exeo (225/40 R18 W) on mostly town for 13,000 spirited miles
I replaced my Goodyear Eagle F1s, which I'd had on since the car was new, with the Firestone Firehawk SZ90u to try and save a few quid. But as soon as I drove away from the garage I could tell the difference. The car seemed more bouncier as I steered (not in a good way) and felt unstable. It felt like the car was swaying. I beared with it to see if it was just psychological but when I took some corners at what I deemed to be my usual way, the traction control would come on and the car didn't handle anything like it did with the Goodyears. I had never really noticed much difference in handling over the years when I've changed my tyres but maybe as I'm driving a faster, sportier car that I enjoy driving well maybe this is the difference. I was that concerned I took my car back to the garage to ask them if they could check that nothing had been disturbed or fiddled with when changing the tyres! A technician came out with me and drove the car but he couldn't notice anything wrong with the way it handled. I can only put it down to the difference in tyres and when they showed me the difference in the side wall firmness between the Goodyear and the Firestone, the Goodyear are reinforced and solid, preventing rolling and improving stability. The Firestones have now worn on the outside circumference (fronts only) after approx. 13,000 miles, requiring replacement. The rest of the tyre and the rears have plenty of tread left on them but I am putting Goodyear Eagle F1s back on the fronts for now and the rears when they're also worn. Hopefully I will get the trusty road holding and handling I was accustomed to again..
1 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2016
Opel Corsa 1.2 80Hp (195/50 R15) on a combination of roads for 13,000 easy going miles
My worse tyres, very noisy- this noise make you crazy, after 15000 km I've decided bined them as couldn't use them any more, wear quite quick so in this tyres is huge advantage, positive is good grip on wet and dry, fuel consumption was increased too. After this tyres I won't buy any Firestone again
0 - tyre reviewed on July 6, 2016
Given 73% while driving a BMW 316d (225/50 R17) on mostly motorways for 5,000 average miles
Run flat version. Very harsh. Good wear rate and dry grip but found slippery in the wet and despite many attempts at balancing struggled to get them them to settle, they just seemed skittish and unpredictable Replaced early.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 24, 2015
Given 86% while driving a Mercedes Benz C180 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 12,000 average miles
I gave grades to these tyres after first impressions and now, after 20000 km, I'm back with new verdicts. Grip on dry and wet almost perfect, braking the same. Lateral side very strong, car doesn't bend on corners. Wear is somewhere at half. Negative aspects: noise, consumption and comfort.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 24, 2015
Given 90% while driving a Ford Mustang GT (245/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
My second set of these tyres as I was so impressed with them on my daily car, and they're just as capable on a much more powerful car.

Highly recommended, much better grip, comfort, stability and quieter than the tyres they replaced.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 29, 2015
Given 85% while driving a Ford Fiesta Zetec S (195/45 R16 V) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I've always bought Continental Sport Contact, but this time I decided to try out these Firestone Firehawk SZ90's.
I searched a lot online to try and find a comparison review between the Contis and the Firestones and unfortunately came up with nothing, but decided to take the plunge anyway.

I'm VERY impressed with these tyres. Continental Sport Contact always finish high up in tyre tests and I have to say the Firestone's are every bit as good even with my spirited driving style.

Both dry and wet grip is progressive and strong and I can feel absolutely NO deficit to the Continental tyre. I see there is a review below that states the wet grip is poor, but either that reviewer is a complete maniac on the road, or there is something seriously wrong with their vehicle.

I highly recommend these tyres and as an added bonus they were £20 per tyre cheaper than the ContiSports. I can't comment on wear yet, but they are excellent in every other department.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 24, 2015
Given 71% while driving a Fiat Grande Punto TJet (215/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
Had them on the front of a Fiat Grande Punto T-Jet sport. Dry grip is good and progressive. Wet grip isn't great but progressive in the corners.
Traction control kicked when starting at the traffic lights in the wet.
Wear and noise levels are good.

I wouldn't buy these again as there are better tyres in the same pricerange.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 26, 2015