Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL

The Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 132 tyre reviews averaging 56% over 1,274,500 miles driven.

The SS595 SUPER STEEL is ranked 154th of 190 Summer High Performance tyres.

2014 Auto Bild 50 Summer Tyre Shootout - 46th of 50 tyres

Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Given 43% while driving a BMW M3 (235/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
There tires are really bad. They came on my car when I bought it, they had about 1000 miles on them at the time. Dry traction is okay. Wet traction is scary. Never tried them in snow. They are also the very loud. I thought I had wheel bearings going out at speed. During tight slow turns in a parking lot I thought my LSD was growling. Now that I have new tires I can actually hear the exhaust note (stock exhaust). Lane changes on rutted roads can be a nasty experience too. The car would snap in and out of the ruts throwing the car latterly. I don't know that I will ever look at a tire with the "V" pattern tread the same way again. Stay away from these tires. If they are your only option in stock, order something else wait patiently for them to come in and then be glad you did. They wear pretty slowly, but I am counting that as a con because it means you will be stuck with these awful tires for even longer.
56 - tyre reviewed on November 4, 2016
Given 81% while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 230 (225/45 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
My car, a 2000 Mercedes Benz SLK 230came with these tires. Staggered fitment with a wider aspect on the rear.
Overall very pleased, i rear them as a aummer tire, as i live in a desert area. Plenty hot, and dusty. Top down every chance, so road noise is negligible. I trust these tires, they give good feedback, with a little twitch. Hot summer road temps help with a sticky feel to the road.
Always buy the best tires you can afford. And don't expect more than what you pay for. For me these tires will drive.
13 - tyre reviewed on April 1, 2018
Given 47% while driving a Nissan 350z (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 10 spirited miles
OMG!! Never buy these crap tires!! I bought a used 350z with these on them and in the year since I have owned the car these tires have gotten louder and louder. They vibrate SO bad that I literally can't hear my engine anymore. I have all the plastic pieces in my interior being vibrated loose. Never owned a set of tires that were this bad. The vibration issue is SO bad, that it really doesn't matter about any other factors of handling or wet road grip, etc.. Just say NO to these tires!!
12 - tyre reviewed on June 23, 2018
Have you driven on the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL >

Latest Federal SS595 SUPER STEEL Reviews

Audi (/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 25 spirited miles
I remember being very impressed when they were new. Eight years later not so much. I rotated the tires as the fronts (3-4mm) were well worn and the rears still had slot of tread (7-8mm). I like to drive in a spirited manner when possible. After rotating the front tires were singing (really?!) noticeably and you could hear the pitch change higher as speed increased. My t.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 30, 2021
Given 77% while driving a Fiat 500 Abarth (205/40 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 spirited miles
First off this is for a lightweight, hard-driven track car. I don't really concern myself with road noise or cushy sidewall as my car is on coilovers and driven very spiritedly on mountain roads and track as well as daily driven to work and back. My car came with Pirelli PZero Neros and those were absolute garbage(horrible understeer, absolutely no sidewall flex, and zero feedback). I then tried some Falken Ziex ZX960s and they were miles better than the Pirellis. After I wore those out I tried the Federal 595s and while loads better than the Pirellis still for a quarter the price, they are not quite as good as the Falkens. But they are half the price. Wet traction is pretty bad but not deadly by any means as long as you don't drive like it is dry. That being said I have driven them on a slightly damp track and still managed decent lap times with only slight hydroplaning in standing water. I have about 5 track sessions on this set as well as daily driving for about 13000 miles and am now looking for replacements. For a heavier, more powerful car I can totally see these being overwhelmed, but my experience in a sub-3K Lb car is excellent. I'm thinking Federal 595RS-Rs for track-only use and a set of Federal Evoluzions for daily to see if I can get better all weather capabilities but if I was to do one set for every use again it would be these 595s.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 18, 2021
Given 26% while driving a Honda Civic SI Coupe (/40 R18) on mostly motorways for 18 spirited miles
put these on my 2015 civic si awhile back due to the cost and them being recommended by a friend. aside from cost and i cant think of a single positive thing to say about them. worse very fast, could not hook in 1-2nd gear even in lower boost and sometimes 3rd in higher boost, were noisy as all hell, and were terrifying to use in the wet. definitely will not purchase again.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2021
Given 74% while driving a Ford Mustang gt (255/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
These tires are unbeatable at this price point. They perform very well, and are sticky. The drawbacks are they’re loud and they wear out fast. These tires are fine in the wet, they resist hydroplaning very well. Not sure why people are complaining about the wet performance, you’re not really supposed to take corners hard in the rain, no matter what tires you have. For normal rain driving, they’re very good and don’t hydroplane easily. I can deal with the noise, and the quick wear based on how cheap they are. I even had to use them in the snow a few times and they did fine. Bottom like, they look great, and perform great, but they’re noisy and they wear fast. Id definitely buy them again, I am on my 2nd set
4 - tyre reviewed on February 17, 2021
Given 39% while driving a Lexus IS250 AWD (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 4,000 spirited miles
Trash!!! DO NOT BUY THESE FOR A DAILY DRIVER - THESE ARE FOR BURNOUTS WITH YOUR "TOY"
4 - tyre reviewed on August 31, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Pontiac trans am ws6 (245/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
i had these on my iroc z and absolutely did things that are unbelievable with them! from autocross to drag racing! YOU HAVE TO GET THESE TIRES WARM!!!!!!! once they warm up and heat cycled properly they will perform better than most tires out there. current car is a 478 rear wheel horse trans am and they are still an absolute dream. out of every tire ive ran these are the best looking and really give a wide footprint! dont recommend with snow. (laguna seca loved them)
2 - tyre reviewed on April 16, 2020
Given 64% while driving a Hyundai Getz (185/55 R14 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I bought these tires mostly for their looks cause even thought the size was 185/55/14 they seemed more meaty and wider like a 195/55/14 size. I guess Federal is one of these brands that make tires look 1 size wider than they suppose to be, well that suits fine for me, they looked amazing BUT that was the only good thing about those tires.The dry grip was just ok and in the wet i was too afraid to push them hard due to the fact that i have heard many negative reviews about their wet grip so i had little experience in wet driving and with low speed so i would say that they were just passable. And now let's go for the BIG downfall.
The first thing i immediately noticed was a strange trembling in the brake pedal every time i was breaking even in very slow speeds. I don't know if that had to do with the tread pattern or what but the feeling i was getting from this was unsecured, frustrating and like i was steeping over little rocks all the time. And there were worst to come... Secondly the tires were extremely noisy and i mean in an UNBEARABLE way. They were making a weird noise that i have never heard before on a tire, like a helicopter's propeller kind of thing. Even with a loud exhaust (muffler delete) i was still able to hear that irritable noise! I would never buy these tires again and i wouldn't recommend them for confident secure driving. They only worth trying them for their looks and if you drive them only for shows in closed stages for drifting burnouts and stuff but not on the street.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 23, 2019
Given 39% while driving a BMW 330i (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 10,000 spirited miles
Had them for 2 years on the back of my E90 330i. Dry traction is OK but a bit scary when going into corners, you don't feel confident using these.
Wet traction is scary, these tyres are unsafe, it should be illegal to sell these.
4th gear at 80kph the car did a 180 on a corner on the highway, I had the scare of my life. Stay away from these tyres!
3 - tyre reviewed on August 15, 2019
Given 81% while driving a Chevrolet S10 Blazer (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
I have these on a modified S10 pickup that I use for autocross, track days as well as being my daily driver. In the dry the grip is astonishing for the price; wet or cold weather traction not so good, but these ARE UHP Summer tires after all. For a 240 rated tire the wear is very good. I put 20000 miles on my last set and just replaced them as the tread wasgetting too hard for good , spirited handling. I have and will buy these again. Best bang for your buck.
6 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2019
Given 69% while driving a Renault Clio 182 (205/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
Good ratio price/quality. I bought them as I knew they are quite soft, so they didn't last that long, but I'm used to this. Great dry grip, especially when they were new (I had some good starts at street racing, better then with T1R's). Don't have good feeling on the wet (especially when there is a lot of water on the road), but I could easily drive on highway with 130kph on rain.
Definitely will buy again. For me, they are the perfect compromise between semi-slicks and street tyres.
1 - tyre reviewed on February 2, 2018
Given 29% while driving a Vauxhall corsa sri (205/45 R15) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Pretty woeful.
Put these on my old 1.4 corsa and even the mighty 80bhp was too much for these tyres. They would happily spin up in the dry let alone the wet.
Even had some oversteer on a wet roundabout a couple of times, and this was hardly even pushing them. Worse thing was it wasn't even progressive, would just let go out of no where.
Quickly changed to yoko's spec 2's. Awesome tyre in comparison.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2016
Given 68% while driving a Alfa Romeo (185/55 R14 V) on mostly country roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Reading the reviews, I really wonder how people *test* their tires.

My ride is an Alfa Romeo Sprint QV with the 1.7 engine. It is a classic as well as a coupe, so use is for track days, historic rallies and minimal daily rides.

As a daily ride, the tire is perfect. It gets noisy on the highway but only at a specific speed, which is totally fine. On the rain, I was afraid at first because of the reviews. My car park has an enormous slippery hill to climb each time I drive out, and with heavy rain the tire, whilst still cold, works fine.

As a rally tire on tarmac, it is PHENOMENAL. The car finished on the Acropolis Rally after 1000ks of twists, turns, speed, on gravel and roads. It performed like a charm. You don't believe me? Here http://www.autodelta.info/#!Passion-for-Race/czjb/57583e190cf24c9615a526e8

As a track tire, it disappointed me. It doesn't warm up quickly enough, and turns seem flimsy. Still, I dropped my times. But yes, it is not a real tire for track. Still, enough for fun - they do drift.

As an overall tire, for the price, are you kidding me? It is perfect, and will soon be fitted on a Lancia of the same period too. It just makes sense.
5 - tyre reviewed on June 17, 2016