Kumho Winter Craft WP51

The Kumho Winter Craft WP51 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 13 tyre reviews averaging 77% over 51,600 miles driven.

Latest Group Test Results

2019 ADAC 185/65 R15 Winter Tyre Test - 11th of 16 tyres

• Positive - None mentioned
  • Negative - Relatively wear grip in snow, high wear.
  • Overall - Good

2018 ADAC Winter Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 12th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good in the snow
  • Negative - Weak in the dry and wet, high fuel consumption

2018 AMS Winter Tyre Test - 11th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Ok in snow.
  • Negative - Weak in dry and wet, very high rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Conditionally recommended.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Kumho Winter Craft WP51
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Kumho Winter Craft WP51. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Kumho Winter Craft WP51 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a SEAT Leon SE Ecomotive 1.6 (205/55 R16 T) on mostly town for 4,000 average miles
I highly recommend these tires. These tires have the highest price/performance ratio and does not differ from any expensive brand.
119 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2016
Given 90% while driving a Fiat croma (205/55 R16 T) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
I got these tires when I blew one of my previous set Nokian WR D3 and then blew my spare wheel as well after 10 miles so I went to first available tire shop along the road. My Nokians were giving the last of them after 30000 miles and I was determined to buy them again, because they were best winter tires I ever had and performed magnificently, only downside was extensive wear but I made 10000 miles during summer with them (south Europe) - so they lasted well I must say.
So, I got to the first shop and Kumho Wintercraft WP51 were all they had. It was early in the morning, actually I waited in car in front of the shop to open, and then had tires hastily put on and rushed to work. First drive on them was horrible, I felt like I had worst tires ever. But then I found that guy who put them on, inflated them on 3.0 bar !!!!! ( Fiat Croma is rated 2.2) so I put right pressure in them and drove them extensively on all kind of roads, and pushing them to the limit. And I can say this - 1). they are most comfortable tires I ever had. You don't get much road feedback but once you get into them, you start feeling little finesses and they work well. 2). they perform excellent on wet roads, grip is fantastic and cornering is awesome. 3). on dry, you feel a little skid but interestingly, after 2-3 months, when they wear out just a bit, kinda to get them flat strong on the road, this happens no more and dry grip gets much better. 4) on snow, they are not amazing like Nokian, but not far either. Let's say if Nokian are 10 on snow, Kumho are 8.9 which is more than good, because on ice they are even better. 5) Wear is what puts them on the top, because after 14000 miles, I can see the wear just a little, they are much better than Nokian or BFGoodrich and still, they feel like new. 6) driving them on late April, 15-30 C temperature, haven't seen much difference than driving 2-10C which sets them apart from other winter tires that feel much worse during summer.
All in all, I believe I have one more season and at least 10000 miles on them, if not more.
All in all , these tires surprised me quite a bit, and I would buy them again because, although not 10/10 like Nokians for winter, they are a bit cheaper and give much more back, in terms of durability and usability in different conditions.
Downside is that I have them on T ratings for speed (180 km/h max) and I pushed them to this limit often and for prolonged time on long highway drives and I can say they excelled and passed ever test.
One more note: my set was made in Korea, not in China, if that makes any difference....
I can recommend these tires.
18 - tyre reviewed on April 22, 2016
Given 86% while driving a Mitsubishi mirage dohc (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 500 spirited miles
I have had 4 seperate winter tires on my car in the past. These would be my 5th winter season in Canada. I live in NB and winters can be wild at times and completely mild at other points. We experience 25 to 40 cm of snow falls in less then a few hours at times and these tires so far have been the best I've used. I've tried hankook, bridgestone, Rotalla, and Momo and these hands down give me more peice of mind then any if those other brands. They are loud in dry roads and have a very aggressive tread so they do wear on your feul economy but you will feel like a tank on the road in any condition.
12 - tyre reviewed on December 2, 2018
Have you driven on the Kumho Winter Craft WP51 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Kumho Winter Craft WP51? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Kumho Winter Craft WP51 >

Latest Kumho Winter Craft WP51 Reviews

Given 100% while driving a Toyota Avensis (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 0 easy going miles
For the price the tyre is really premium class.Overall good tyre for city driving standard car.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 27, 2020
Given 68% while driving a Renault Clio 172 (205/45 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 9,000 spirited miles
In the winter they're good, not excellent, but good. Enough grip in snow and rain. The performance reflects in the price, they not the best, but great value for money. The downside is in the dry or in the summer. There's no feedback, no grip and the tire simply melts if you want to take a corner faster. But ofcourse they're winter tires, so not meant to be used in hot conditions, and in the cold they're good. Probably I will buy them again because value for money and wear.
3 - tyre reviewed on May 23, 2020
12 - tyre reviewed on December 2, 2018
Given 39% while driving a Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
Probably the worst off all tyres I ever used on my audi A4 and A6 quattro. Wet handling and grip in second season and only 5k km is terrible. Even new one was really bad. Dry is ok. Snow grip is average. It’s not loud and relativly comfortable. Overall, total disapointment.
5 - tyre reviewed on November 20, 2018
Toyota (195/50 R16 V) on mostly town for 2,500 miles
Quite good on dry and wet on my yaris hybrid 2017. Impressed how they performerd in snow, I have to drive a lot steep uphill and downhill, during the record snowfall of December 2017 I thought I couldn't get home on the evening because roads were horrible and couldn't stay clean for more than 30/45 minutes, I afforded a strong uphill road with some 7 inches slush/snow, in the worst passage the car almost stopped climbing but it somehow managed to get on top and take me home.
I found the kumho tyres very good stopping and gripping on ice.
2 - tyre reviewed on November 12, 2018
Given 75% while driving a Opel Zafira TDCI (225/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
good tyre for this money!
6 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2018
Given 42% while driving a Kia Motors ceed (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 100 spirited miles
Recently fitted two of these to the rear of my vehicle replacing the summer tyres that were on(two Michelin winters were already on the front).Within 10 miles I knew I was going to have to swap them to the front. These kumos suffer from a trate that other mid range winter tyres have which is the way the tread block initially moves when steering input is applied, something Michelin manages to avoid. The feeling is unnerving to say the least and if the inputs are exaggerated the back of the car can be made to slide at relatively low speeds,this at a temperature of around 2/3 degrees,so the temperature a winter really should be starting to work. In fact the summer hankook's were far better. Fitting to the front resulted in a poorer turn in and more understeer but ultimately safer than oversteer. Stopping in ice and frost is decent enough but again not a patch on the Michelin's. Can't comment on bone dry surface performance or wear as yet obviously due to lack of miles covered. Result is spend 40 percent more and get Michelin alpin 4 or 5's fitted.
4 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2017
Given 80% while driving a Mercedes Benz E220Cdi (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Was driving these tyre for around 6k km fitted on a Mercedes E220D without any safety systems. On dry road the tyres feel really solid. They have really stiff sidewalls and handle potholes well. Feedback was much better than my Fulda ecocontact HP. Wet grip in cornering is okey, but when you have to stop or go these kumhos are bad. Such a low powered car could easily break traction. In snow they were awesome, the car went nearly everywhere. On icy roads it was really good for a non-studded tyre. For 6k km there is hardly any noticeable wear. I think they will easy last around 35-40k km. Comfort was decent. They are good tires for this price, but I would like to try sth new.
6 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2017
Given 81% while driving a Kia Motors Picanto (175/50 R15 W) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
These do not seem to perform any better than my pirelli summer tyres. I have 2 cars and have been grip testing these in the wet in a car park by going in a circle and they seemed to have the same level of grip as the summer tyres. Temperature was about 4 degrees. They seem to cause a bit of noise and you can hear the grip noise change when accelerating or braking vs rolling. They are pretty good. But I get the impression that they will not be great in the snow as I have a 1 litre car and in the wet its fairly easy to get a tiny bit of wheel spin if pulling away fast.
7 - tyre reviewed on February 27, 2017