Accelera PHI

The Accelera PHI is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre has been replaced by the Accelera PHI R.

Tyre review data from 148 tyre reviews averaging 57% over 1,284,262 miles driven.

The PHI is ranked 150th of 190 Summer High Performance tyres.

2019 Tyre Reviews UHP Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 8 tyres

• Positive - Low rolling resistance. Low noise.
  • Negative - Very poor wet grip, extremely long wet braking distances, poor dry grip.
  • Overall - The Accelera PHI was extremely low grip in all scenarios. Do not fit this tyre.
    Not Recommended

2014 Auto Bild 50 Summer Tyre Shootout - 44th of 50 tyres

2012 EVO Max Performance Tyre Test - 10th of 10 tyres

• Overall - Finishing bottom of the table in nearly every test secured the Accelera its last place, however EVO noted it wasn't as bad as some of the other budgets tested in previous years. As is the norm with budget tyres, it was capable in the dry but lacked grip, composure and safety when the surface changed to wet.
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/30 R21 95W   E C 72 11.00kgs
255/30 R22 95Y   E C 72 11.00kgs
245/35 R22 97Y   E C 72 12.00kgs

Questions and Answers for the Accelera PHI

2016-06-26 - Are the Accelera PHI tyres run flat?

We're not currently aware of a runflat version of the Accelera PHI tyre.

2016-08-24 - What side is the front of the tire?

The PHI will have "outside" written on the outside, or front, of the tyre.

2016-10-18 - What is the estimated mileage for the Accelera PHI 225/45 R18? I have a Kia Soul Exclaim (2011) and am looking for four new tires

The mileage of the Accelera PHI depends largely on your car and driving style. It's best to look at other reviews posted to match your driving style and vehicle.

2021-05-03 - I recently purchased a 2019 Nissan Sentra equiped wiht 205 55r16 accelera tires. Approaching 70 miles p/h the care experiences a significant and uncomfortable vibration. Do you have some suggestion to make for this issue?, could it have something to do with the tires itself?

There is a chance the tyre could be out of shape, but it's more likely to be a wheel out of balance. I would suggest getting the wheels balanced at a local tyre garage, and while they're balancing the wheels they can also inspect the tyres.

PHI Prices

Top 3 Accelera PHI Reviews

Given 67% while driving a Opel insignia (245/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 20 average miles
The varied reviews on the this tyre are insane. Some calling them dangerous to the best tyre ever driven on to date. My review is based on driving at legal speeds. Average 80 to 120kph.
On my Irish dry roads, the car handles well and confortable giving good feed back steering through the corners and braking. In heavy rain, I slowed down and again the tyres are fine. On greasy wet main roads, the tyres were giddy accelerating away from lights, fighting for grip as I put my foot down. So if you don't want spin - don't race! Once I adjusted my driving style to the tyres, they were acceptable.
In summary, my view is that once these tyres are that driven legally, they are good for the money on a family car driving safely. Its like the Top Gear corner Follow Through - different cars and drivers can go at different speeds. (Bring back the old Guys!) But if I had the money and did my research and wanted to enjoy the full potential of my car and all its power, I would go for the drivers tyre- Michelin Pilot Sport 4. If I want to maximise fuel economy and long life I'd drive on the Michelin Primacy 3. Both the same price, but different handling qualities. In my view, Mid range brands are just made to suit peoples budgets.
113 - tyre reviewed on July 2, 2016
Audi (255/35 R19) on mostly motorways for 20,000 average miles
I switched to Accelera PHi from Hankook Vensus purely on budget, prior to that i had the Bridgestone Potenza R003 in 18 inch tyre. The Accelera performed reasonable, considering I do 800km per week. it is definitly a hard compound tyre and the noise is pronounced at 110km/ph on both concrete and bituman roads. all up 30,000km got out of them, that is 5-10k kilometers better than Bridgestone and Hankook.
19 - tyre reviewed on March 7, 2019
Given 50% while driving a Mercedes Benz E350 (245/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 15,000 spirited miles
For the price this is a good tyre. In the dry grip is equivalent premium brands, however the lack of feedback and occasional slides in the wet do not encourage you to push your luck in the rain/standing water. I believe in a magazine test the tyre showed inferior (longer) braking distances in the wet but it is very difficult to tell this in reality.

For the average driver these are adequate and at the price they are good value.

The rubber must be quite a hard compound as tyre wear has been slow.
16 - tyre reviewed on February 7, 2017
Have you driven on the Accelera PHI tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Accelera PHI? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Accelera PHI >

Latest Accelera PHI Reviews

Given 44% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDi 170 (245/40 R19) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
These were fitted by dealer prior to picking up car as the existing ones failed mot for tread depth. Obviously the dealer went for the cheapest he could get.... Dry performance is ok BUT these tyres are downright dangerous in the wet! Spin up when accelerating in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th on a damp road, even when feathering the throttle. Slow speeds on damp roundabouts will see the front understeering terribly. Spend all the time driving in the wet as if driving on ice. Simply dangerous!! So now I'm having to fork out circa £600 for better quality tyres despite the current set only having about 5K on them. Never had a tyre, budget, intermediate or premium that is this bad... AVOID!!!
0 - tyre reviewed on September 29, 2021
Given 27% while driving a Porsche 986 2.7 (265/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
I had these tyres on the rear of my 2.7 Boxster when i bought it, And contrary to the smug reviewers re lack of talent plus I'll never understand owning a premium car and putting on budget tyres The back end coming round on you at 20 mph on a damp, not wet, but damp roundabout has nothing to do with talent, and all to do with shockingly bad & dangerous tyres, and not that great in the dry to be honest. There was no date code on these, so they could have been quite old, they still had 4mm tread, I believe they may have been updated now so I have no experience of this new compound, but safe to say, if you have these older tyres, get rid asap before they cause you an injury or worse. Now on trusty PS4's like my last car which I went though 3 sets with many miles of great grip in all weathers.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 16, 2021
Given 41% while driving a Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 TCDI (235/40 R19) on mostly motorways for 2,000 easy going miles
Initially I was impressed, that didn’t last long. Wear is average at best and dry grip will never compete with a premium brand but it’s satisfactory. Wet grip however is a different story. If you drive with your kids in the car you don’t want these tires, wet stopping distance is horrendous. And the final straw was when my car developed a lot of wheel wobble the investigation found one of my tires after less than 2000 miles (3000km) was out of shape meaning the wheel could not be balanced and vibration unavoidable. Fuel economy was aldosterone down around 10%. I’m now back on Michelin all round and the car is transformed.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2021
Given 80% while driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
After 25k with the factory Michelin PS4s (very good tyre eight until the end but chuffing pricey) I switched to acceleras after a good experience on my previous car, an E61 530d. The tyres last a long time and contrary to opinion do not throw the car into a ditch. I suspect this has more to do with driver talent and awareness of risk. Their wet performance is certainly not as good as a premium tyre but then I increase my spacing in the wet. Within days of the new set of tyres we had a bit of snow. Although not a winter tyre (it has all season written on the sidewall) and moderate braking/acceleration could break traction, they we fine and the tyres combined with all wheel drive allowed me to gently make progress up hills when others where spearing off the road. The public road is not a race track and I wonder what many are asking of their tyres. Personally I'd go for the acceleras and invest the saving in an advanced course. Better observation will significantly out break the better premium tyre. As an example a famous motor industry presenter wrote off his pride and joy 911. The blame was apparently with the idiot that chose a bend to make a three point turn however track driving techniques don't require you to be able to stop within the distance you can see. Stories aside, these tyres look good, perform adequately and at £41 a corner, they are awesome
2 - tyre reviewed on January 28, 2021
Mercedes Benz (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
Absolutely abysmal tyres. Complete trap in dry or wet. I purchased a Mercedes CLS with these already fitted. Someone obviously didn't value their life or their passengers! Don't scrimp on tyres or safety folks! It's the first and last thing between you and the tarmac! First found out how bad these were with a wet road, sleet conditions doing 70 with kick down. The rear end gave way and car veered left,then right - just managed to correct and regain control or Have No doubt I would be mincemeat. First thing I did was take this off and put Michelin Pilots on!
5 - tyre reviewed on December 28, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Hyundai elantra (225/40 R18 W) on mostly town for 20,000 average miles
It is satisfactory among tires of similar price range. I think the Indonesian tire quality is good. Road noise is less than that of Michelin and Continental.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 26, 2020
Given 85% while driving a Volkswagen Transporter (255/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I am running these tyres on a 204 ps vw t6 transporter with lowered suspension, it is a working vehicle fully loaded weight wise. Having read the tyre reviews I was expecting the worst but no,I have nothing so far negative to say about them. Grip is not an issue, handling and feedback, wear and comfort in a working truck well you are not going to achieve this at all. So yes I will buy again and be happy to do so, absolute bargain.
5 - tyre reviewed on November 14, 2020
Given 87% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 GTD (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 32,000 average miles
good tire for the price one of the best budget tires i had on my mk7
7 - tyre reviewed on October 12, 2020
Given 43% while driving a BMW 320d msport coupe (265/30 R19 W) on mostly town for 3,500 average miles
These tyres provide very little grip in both dry and wet. I have very little confidence in them as I have slid multiple times at very low speeds. The grip in wet weather is particularly bad. So much so that my DTC light occasional blinks when moving from a standstill. That being said, they have a fairly comfortable ride and aren't too noisy.
6 - tyre reviewed on October 7, 2020
Given 44% while driving a Ford S Max (235/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
An ok tyre for road feedback, its happy to munch up the miles and gives me a good drive in dry conditions. Now any orher conditions other than hot and very dry roads these tyres are simply awful. Ive covered a few thousend miles and have had enough of the very dangerous feelings when in wet or cold conditions. Ive seen shoping trollies doing less understeer than these tyres fitted to my smax 2.0 tdci. I wont ever purchess again (accelera are ditch finders) overall rating an honest 5/10. 0/10 rating for wet grip. Crazy dangerous tyre for english weather DO NOT BUY.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 30, 2020
Given 44% while driving a Volvo 2.0 T5 Saloon (215/45 R18 W) on for 8,000 average miles
Had these in when bought the car. A Cheap tyre no grip esp in wet , personal dangerous. Not the quietest tyre on Road noise. Would go for a better quality tyre
1 - tyre reviewed on September 29, 2020
Audi (275/35 R20 W) on mostly country roads for 500 miles
seem fine in the dry but down rite dangerous never fit them!
5 - tyre reviewed on August 17, 2020