Avon Ranger

The Avon Ranger is a High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4

Tyre review data from 13 tyre reviews averaging 86% over 168,000 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Avon Ranger
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
235/60 R16 100H   F C 71 12.18kgs
235/70 R16 106H   F C 71 14.14kgs
245/70 R16 107H   F C 71 15.29kgs
275/70 R16 114H   F C 72 18.05kgs
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Avon Ranger. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Avon Ranger Reviews

Given 50% while driving a Nissan Qashqai (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 65,000 easy going miles
I replaced my original fit tyres on a 2litre Qashqai being pleased to find a British made tyre. However although their were characteristics are great (35000 and still some left)after about the first 20000 miles they became extremely noisy at all speeds and different road surfaces. I checked with Avon Technical and the supplier but no explanation other than a vague reference to "constellating" and an invitation to replace them at my expense in order to return to Avon for testing and report. I decided to "live with it" until the next replacement (now coming up) but am reluctant to go the same way again.
45 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2015
Given 100% while driving a Land Rover freelander (195/80 R15 T) on mostly country roads for 0 average miles
Just had 4x Avon Ranger Tyres fitted, they suit my car very well with a good chunky tread. I will always fit Avon to any vehicle I own they are a very reliable tyre.
12 - tyre reviewed on December 28, 2017
Given 87% while driving a Land Rover Freelander 2 (235/65 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
I am playing around with tyres to find the best for my Freelander and have found these to be as good as Continental All season tyres, and even better on the bit of frosty tarmac we have just seen. A British made tyre at least as good as the big name @ a fraction of the cost.
6 - tyre reviewed on November 21, 2013
Have you driven on the Avon Ranger tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Avon Ranger? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Avon Ranger >

Latest Avon Ranger Reviews

Given 80% while driving a Jeep Libery (235/70 R16 S) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
These are a heavily treaded all terrain tyre. They are designed for the rough, They came new with 12mm of tread, they are 3 peak mountain snow rated. They are the same pattern as BFG all terrain MK1 at a fraction of the price. I paid £60 each. They have seen snow, mud and heavy rain over the last 12 to 18 months. I live in the Welsh Hills. The roads are pretty poor. These tyres are excellent. They grip in all conditions. They will push wide in the wet, but that's to be expected, they are not a high speed tyre. They are relatively noisy compared to road biased tyres, but not excessively. They don't make long journeys a drag. Fuel wise I have lost around 2mpg compared to the nexen Rodians that came on the Jeep. I have run them for 14 months and have lost 2mm tread. On motorway, and rural roads, back roads and off road tracks. They have a really stiff sidewall, they were hard to mount and had to be warmed to flex and be able to fit on the rim. However they balanced easily. Really good quality remould.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 14, 2020
Given 81% while driving a Jeep Libery (235/70 R16) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
They started with over 12mm of tread, they are remoulds using the old bfg all terrain pattern, they are 3PMS snow rated. I have run them on motorway, back roads, snow, deep muddy fields and confirm, they defy all expectations of a remould. They balance well although are difficult to mount due to a really stiff sidewall. They are obviously noisy compared to a road tyre, and slightly more than the Goodyear Wrangler AT that was originally fitted. Fuel economy has dropped only by 1 or 2 mpg. In snow they are strong and grippy, no squeal in rain, mud they just dig in, used recently to recover several cars bogged in at a camp site. I have run around 6000 miles, barely a mm has gone from tread.
3 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Land Rover Range Rover P38 (155/65 R16) on mostly country roads for 0 average miles
i have run these on my range rover on and of road very happy with the results superb tyre just a shame i cant get replacement anymore when i find a tyre that fits my needs i like to stick with it
3 - tyre reviewed on June 29, 2020
Given 65% while driving a Nissan X Trail 2.2 DCi Sport (215/65 R16) on mostly country roads for 2,000 average miles
used in snow no problems never stuck some of the snow up to 150mm deep on farm tracks etc.

good on dry roads, good on wet roads not much slip, but very noisy on all roads
3 - tyre reviewed on April 10, 2019
12 - tyre reviewed on December 28, 2017
45 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2015
6 - tyre reviewed on November 21, 2013
Given 100% while driving a Land Rover Discovery 1 1996 (235/70 R16) on a combination of roads for 22,000 average miles
We have had Michelin, Good Year and Pirelli nothing matches these! No matter where we go what we pull the never seem to wear, this is our second set of Avon's and if were a bit late they will take corners surprisingly hard surprising us and others!!. Dry or wet they never let go! The side walls hold up well considering the disco ways 2.7 ton. It has never been stuck although we haven't really taken her off road properly the tyres will cope with wet grass, messy mud ruts and snow! which is all we need really. They are very quiet long journeys are no problem 80-90 mph. Overall excellent think we have found a tyre for life
1 - tyre reviewed on September 14, 2013
Given 86% while driving a Land Rover Freelander 2 (235/65 R17) on mostly town for 10,000 average miles
This a update to my previous review, a year further on and the tyres are still looking great very little wear showing after nearly 10.000 miles.
The heavy snow we had here in South Wales over the winter gave me a chance to chech these out in 4 wheel drive and they performed excellently......Highly recommended.
5 - tyre reviewed on April 14, 2013