Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Tyre review data from 7 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 34,700 miles driven.

The Hakkapeliitta R3 is ranked 35th of 49 Winter Premium Touring tyres.

2021 Studless and Studded Winter Tyre Test - 3rd of 16 tyres

• Positive - [Friction] Good in all winter conditions, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Poor dry drivability.

2020 Vi Bilagare Nordic Friction Winter Tyre Test - 2nd of 8 tyres

• Positive - An excellent nordic winter tyre with strong ice grip, and a balanced performance in the snow, dry and wet.
  • Negative - Relatively high levels of noise, poor aquaplaning result.

The Best Winter Tyres for 2020 - 1st of 19 tyres

• Positive - The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is continues to be a leading studless friction winter tyre with excellent handling on snow, ice, dry and wet conditions.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top 3 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 Reviews

Given 90% while driving a BMW i3 (155/70 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
I am running Nokian Hakka R3s on a BMW i3. I have had the tyres for about 3 weeks now. The weather has been cold initially but has gone back to being very mild. This sort of weather is where dedicated winter tyres can for want of a better expression slip up. Pleasingly the Hakka 3s are giving a level of grip well above my expectation in this mild and wet weather. In the dry too, this tyre is performing more like an all season tyre than a winter tyre.

I deliberately put the pedal down on one occasion much harder than I would normally do and the tyres started to lose grip. This however was the only time and it was a deliberate test. Otherwise on tight cornering and unexpected hard braking, the tyres have performed admirably in both wet and dry conditions. In the cold weather they are even grippier and have given a preview of their winter capability. I can now confidently look forward to some harsh winter weather to see how they perform.

The other thing of note is that they are incredibly quiet and are head and shoulders above the summer Bridgestone
tyres which are now off for the winter. I will revisit this review with my experiences in harsh winter weather but at present the Hakka 3 looks like a winner so far. Just be careful about pushing them too hard in mild and wet temperatures though.
20 - tyre reviewed on November 13, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Cadillac CTS (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
I'm starting my 3rd winter with the R3. Living in the Toronto Canada area, winter can mean driving in rain, snow or dry freeways with temperatures being above freezing to -25C or lower. The tires give excellent performance regardless of the road conditions. With heavy rains I have never experienced hydroplaning on wet roads nor had any difficulty with traction while driving on snow covered roads. I am very happy with R3 and would not hesitate to recommend them to others.
7 - tyre reviewed on November 4, 2020
Given 62% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.7Tdi Quattro S Line (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 6,000 average miles
I've been using these tires for 2 years now, in the dry and in the wet they are worse than a normal winter tyre, but they really shine when driving on slush and snow, giving you a huge advantage when going up a snowy road in the alps.
5 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2021
Have you driven on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 >

Latest Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 Reviews

Given 87% while driving a Nissan altima (/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,200 spirited miles
I purchased my Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tires for my AWD Altima SR. I wanted a tire that was good on snow and ice but also good on dry and wet too. I purchased them before a trip over an usually snow covered mountain pass. There was snow and ice of several inches and required chains for non-AWD vehicles. These tires were fantastic on the snow and ice. They performed beyond what I expected and when I came back from my trip there was a snowstorm in Seattle. I was extremely impressed by the performance on steep snowy hills. I would buy again.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 31, 2021
Given 73% while driving a SEAT LEON 1.8TSI (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 12,000 spirited miles
Good tyres with a good grip on an ice road. Not enough road feedback on a dry road and higher speed.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2020
Given 88% while driving a Audi S5 (245/45 R18 H) on a combination of roads for 7,000 average miles
Excellent tire very good in snow and ice I also have Nokia’s Hakka 9 SUV studded on my Tesla X can’t beat it in our cold Canadian winter where I live 5 months of snow unbelievable traction on ice
4 - tyre reviewed on December 26, 2020
Given 74% while driving a Honda Insight G1 (175/65 R14 R) on mostly country roads for 7,000 easy going miles
The Hakka R3 has been phenomenal for my style of commute mostly straight lines and steady speed drives. I rated these tires as compared to Summer/all seasons as I haven't had a different set of winter tires for this tire size to have a better comparison. As far as dry and wet grip the tires will occasionally slip when starting from a stop, but I attribute that more to driver error with limited experience driving M/T. On roundabouts I can confidently go 40mph on a 25 advisory curve but can tell it's close to slipping. In my few experiences making an emergency stop from 20 or 40 mph stopping distance is about average for a winter tire maybe 1 car length more than on a standard all season in 45°f @40mph and about ½ that in 30°f(~0°c). In snow and ice the grip is excellent even for a winter tire and I had no issues at any point except for in some deep and wet slush whilst making a turn at intersections. Comfort/NVH (Noise vibration harshness) were very satisfactory even when compared to a touring A/S tire (subjectively) though slightly louder than my summer tires which I'd expect due to all the extra siping it wasnt by much and certainly not bothersome to me. Also of great importance to me is Rolling Resistance. My vehicle is meant for superb fuel economy and most people who drive them swear by using only the stock tire to maintain the 60mpg US the car is made for, however I have not noticed much of any difference (maybe 2-3mpg accounting for higher overall diameter of the Nokian).Lastly as far as wear is concerned I'm unsure so far. The tires are all about ⁷/³² from the original ¹⁰/³² with one rotation on them so far. I work in a tire shop and I've seen some sets last 40k miles before getting to ⁴/³² and I've seen some last around 25k as always YMMV based on alignment, air pressure and driving style. Absolutely plan to get more Nokian tires in the future and hope more people will give their products a try.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2020