Nokian PowerProof

The Nokian PowerProof is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Nokian zLine.

Tyre review data from 19 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 74,570 miles driven.

The PowerProof is ranked 20th of 70 Summer Max Performance tyres.

Reports

2022 Summer Tyre Market Overview - 6th of 44 tyres

2022 AMS Performance Summer Tyre Test - 6th of 10 tyres

• Positive - Neutral to understeer balance in the wet, precise steering and easy to control in the dry.
  • Negative - Low aquaplaning resistance, noisy.
  • Overall - Good for every day summer weather, deficits only in heavy rain.

2022 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 21st of 22 tyres

• Positive - Very good dry braking, good aquaplaning resistance, dynamic wet handling.
  • Negative - Slow steering and low stability in the dry, very high wear, very low value.

Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/35 R20 97Y   C A 72
275/35 R20 102Y   C A 72
245/40 R20 99Y   C A 72

Questions and Answers for the Nokian PowerProof

2022-10-15 - I am interested in Nokian Powerproof 225/45 ZR 17 91Y tires. I would like to know the tread wear value or the UTGQ value

Sorry, we don't have the UTQG values as the tyre isn't sold in North America. You can contact Nokian directly to find out.

YouTube Review

Top 3 Nokian PowerProof Reviews

Given 77% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (235/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 300 spirited miles
Fitted them to my Megane 3 rs with 322hp. It is my daily car so I wanted tyres in the UHP range like Michelin PS4. Since I am very positive about the Nokian winter tyres, I wanted to try the Powerproof's as they claim in to be UHP and a PS4 competitor. When I bought them no tests or reviews were placed on the internet.

First of all: this is not as good as the Michelin PS4 and PS4s which I had both the Megane. Not as precise and direct. Also, full throttle in second gear comes with quite some wheel spin. I did not have that with the PS4S's.

It does not give me that confidence as the Michelin's but maybe I have to "read" the tyres better and learn how to push them.

The pro's are more comfort and less noise.

Overall: very good tyre but I don't recommend these if you do a lot of spirited driving or track days. Great for all day though!
Helpful 77 - tyre reviewed on February 15, 2019
Given 91% while driving a Mercedes Benz C300 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 4,070 spirited miles
I bought these tires for my 2012 Mercedes C300 4MATIC Sport. It's the first time I buy Nokian Tires as they were highly recommended by the tire shop I deal with. So far, their dry and wet performance has been great and the car's handling is definitely superior to the Continental OEM tires it came with. I'm really happy with them especially with the tread depth indicator (3 to 8 mm) that comes engraved on them. After 6,550 km on them, the 8 mm tread depth indicator disappeared meaning 1 mm wore out. If the wear is linear and I extend it to 4 mm which is when the droplet symbol disappears meaning an increased risk of aquaplaning, then my calculations say that this will happen at the 26,000 km mark; which I think would be too much wear and they wouldn't last long. The full 8 mm would be gone by 52,000 km. Maybe this is normal because they're a soft compound, but I was hoping they'd last a bit more. I will update this review as time goes, but again I am very happy with their performance.
Helpful 40 - tyre reviewed on April 5, 2020
Given 86% while driving a Mazda 3 2.0 DISI (205/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
This is the initial review of the new tyres I put on Mazda 3 (2010). I was trying to choose tyres that would be very safe (short braking distances, good aquaplanning resistance) and also provide reasonable feedback for spirited driving. The expected tread life or rolling resistance was not considered as the car is used as a second car in the family and covers only 6,000 - 7,000 kms per year. The Nokians have replaced Michelin Primacy 3.
For now I had the opportunity to drive only in the dry and I would summarize my findings:
Advantages:
- surprisingly good comfort (at least the same as Michelins), I was expecting harsher ride as the Nokians are supposed to be UHP and Michelins touring tyres and also Nokians are 93Y and Michelins were 89W.
- better handling and stability than Michelins
- noise level is similar but slightly less bothersome then Michelins (on the other hand Michelins were also more pleasant when new :-) )
- 8 mm tread depth (Michelins had 7 mm when new) and perfect tread depth indicator built in the tread
- nice and sophisticated tread features and cool look (very important for tyre geeks :-D )
- no tramlining (Michelins were more sensitive and the factory fitted Toyos R32 were very sensitive)

Disadvantages:
The Nokians have no rim protection in 205/50 ZR17 size! What the hell, Nokian?! I would rather pay few extra euros in change for unscratched alloys. It is dissappointing in comparison to "cheap" Matadors I have on the other car in 235/50 R18 size which have huge rim protector (largest I have ever seen :) ).

Overall it seems like the Nokian Powerproof is very good match for Mazda 3 ride capabilities.
Helpful 28 - tyre reviewed on March 23, 2019
Have you driven on the Nokian PowerProof tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nokian PowerProof? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nokian PowerProof >

Latest Nokian PowerProof Reviews

Given 77% while driving a Renault Megane II 1.5dci @ 125hp (205/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
After months of indecision, I settled on these PowerProof Nokians at a great price. Tyrereviews.com has been an incredible source of information in this process. In regards to these tires, I'm a little bit disappointed, to be honest. They are not bad tires, and do everything as advertised. They just don't FEEL like a Max Performance tire. The feel exactly like a premium TOURING or comfort tire, such as a Michelin primacy something. Grip is great in all conditions, but the lateral stability is questionable when pushing the limits. In long sweeping turns at speed, any bumps in the road surface cause a sense of "swimming" from the tyre sidewalls. This can be described as splashy, squirmy, unstable, indecisive, un-nerving, un-settling, or flighty. This is really only experienced at considerable side-G forces at high speed in the corners, especially while on the gas. One can easily just ignore this and push on, but this is not necessarily wise to do and the experience is simply not confidence-inspiring.

It is worth noting that such driving is never done by the average driver, but then again, this tyre is sold as a "MAX PERFORMANCE PREMIUM TYRE", so it simply MUST be expected to keep up with the competition in that category. It really feels like they are using the same tyre carcass as is used in their great winter or rain tires, it just feels basic and uninspired as a sports tyre. Not at all sharp in the carcass, and it's increasingly noticeable as you get the carcass flexing in the turns. This is genuinely only going to be noticed by those who know what they're doing behind the wheel, and push the limits in the process.

Also worth noting is that this "squirmy" feeling is most notable on mountain roads(uphill and downhill, likely because weight is shifted off of one axle), and is only experienced when the road is uneven/bumpy. Even at the pace of 100% scramble, these tyres were stable on the smooth German Autobahn until about 180kmh, so they meet the expectations there. From 180kmh up, the lateral stability issue starts to show itself incrementally.

I'm genuinely missing the all-out confidence of the Continental SportContact2's which these replaced. Those just felt absolutely planted in any corner, as if the car was "squat and scoot" like a race car: "Grip it and rip it", "point and squirt": That's the feeling I need in premium sport tires, and these Nokians simply do not have that feeling. A superb touring tire, sure, but with reports of high wear rates. We will see.

I believe Nokian can work on tyre carcass structure and sidewall integrity to improve the second generation of this tyre so that it shows better lateral stability at speed on uneven surfaces. Don't simply stiffen the sidewalls, actually do the work to make the carcass stabilise itself under side-load. This is done in the belts, not the sidewall. A tighter belt-pack in the carcass would do wonders for this tyre. Maybe something like the 0-degree steel radial belt that is used by Metzler (and Pirelli... and Conti...) in motorcycle tires can help with this. Then you can run very tight belts at the tyre shoulder for stability, but leave the middle looser for warm-up, comfort, aqua and noise. Then these tires will be highly competitive as a max performer!
Helpful 1 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2022
Given 83% while driving a Volkswagen Passat estate 2.0 TDI 110 kW (245/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 2,000 average miles
Impressive comfort. Very good tyre for daily, relaxing driving. More touring tyre than UHP.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on July 25, 2022
All Season VS Winter Tyres: What is REALLY Best?! Click to find out!
Given 57% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2tdi (245/45 R18) on mostly motorways for 15,000 miles
These have only lasted 15k I was expecting more if honest. Handling was okay, decent it wet but I got a spongy boring feel to these tyres especially on corners. Not sure but I found them just about adequate but nothing special which was a bit disappointing. The wear on these was a huge disappointment and they hum like mad when they are down to the bars .
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on June 2, 2022
Given 71% while driving a Lexus GS 250 Luxury (235/45 R18) on mostly country roads for 15,500 spirited miles
Bought the PowerProof as soon as they were released. Since they were replaced by the Nokian ZLine i thought i'd give them a shot. Excellent handling, breaking in the wet. All 4 Tyres had 2mm left after 25,000km. Overall an excellent tyre, especially in the rain, it's like you're driving in the dry weather.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2022
Given 96% while driving a BMW X3 2.0d Sport (245/45 R20) on mostly motorways for 8,000 average miles
Very good and safe feeling while driving. They replaced the initials Bmw approved Pirelli P Zero RunFlat. I drive now a very different and comfortable SUV ... The Nokian company promises extra safe driving, due to the aramid sidewall . I hope to be totally true ! Until now no worry for their wear which seems to be very normal although this summer was terribly hot .
Helpful 9 - tyre reviewed on September 5, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Alfa Romeo Giulietta (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Good wet grip, good dry grip, quick handling around roundabouts, good ability to absorb potholes and bumps. Good comfort, low noise level.
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on May 25, 2021
Given 77% while driving a Alfa Romeo Giulietta (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
Just replaced my worn Michelin ps4 fronts on my Alfa Giulietta(940) 170bhp 1.4 multi air in size 225/45r17. Noise in the cabin is reduced in compared to the ps4’s, wet grip and muddy road grip is good. Dry grip in corners when driving sporty and giniving it all over a longer period gives me the impression that they are a little but not far behind the ps4. Difference in grip levels between dry and wet is limited, so no sudden surprises. Time will tell about the wear, price is good ( € 66) Nice feature is the sidewall that gives you small circles in which you can point out your tyre pressure, wheel bolt torque value and where the tyre is placed( left front, rear, etc) I will post more when I know more about wear and behavior. Tread mm to start with are only 7.4 mm!! I was used to getting 8mm on all new tyres
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on May 16, 2021
Jaguar (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I fitted a set of these (255/35x20)to my 2015 Jaguar XFS 3.0 Sportbrake, to replace the existing Dunlops, (which were cracking, as they tend to do! ) Having had some winter Nokians on a previous XF I owned, I was impressed with them, so thought I'd try these. So far I've only covered about 1000 miles, so can't really comment on wear, but the grip on these is excellent, both in the wet, and the dry. There is a roundabout near where I live, which leads straight onto a dual carriageway, and has a left-hand bend on it, coupled with adverse camber, and is very often with greasy/ diesel deposits on it. This bend has always been very tricky to negotiate, especially in the wet, and with the added bonus that if you do lose grip, you and your car are heading straight for the scene of a very big accident once you've skidded over the (barrier free) central grassy section! However, with these tyres, I feel much more confident than I have on previous tyres, with various cars I've previously owned (namely 530 BMWs, Accord Type R, and a Jaguar E type plus several other less powerful cars) To sum up, I don't think you can better these tyres for the price, and can't see that spending a load more on Michelins etc would make a lot of difference to grip.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on April 18, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI MK7 (235/35 R19) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Very good in the wet, hugely comfortable for the sector, seem to be wearing ok, but they're not as good handling as the Goodyears I had before.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on April 4, 2021
Given 94% while driving a Opel Astra J Sports Tourer (225/55 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 2,400 average miles
Chose these after reading a lot of reviews, and taking into consideration that my local tire shop had a good enough price for a set of 4. Initially they were rather hard, every pothole and crack could be felt. Turns out it was the shop who overinflated them to an absurd amount, so after correction: these are quiet and iron out bumps nicely. Drove them for about 2400 miles since, no noticeable wear. The Astra J is NOT a lightweight car, being a diesel adds additional weight to the front, that said these are more than capable of dealing with the torque produced, which cannot be said for the Firestones they replaced. With those, constant ESC was the name of the game whenever a few drops of rain hit the road. Overall, am very happy with them, and will fit a new set once the current ones have run their course.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on August 14, 2020
Given 100% while driving a Skoda Octavia vRS (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 100 spirited miles
Very good grip on wet and dry. Noise level is low and the comfort great. I recomend these tires.
Helpful 10 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2020
Given 88% while driving a Subaru Forester sti (235/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 6,000 spirited miles
When these landed the first thing I noticed was the really wide grooves, 2mm wider than the previous Z-Lines, the only grooves I'd seen anything like this wide were on Michelin PS4's - what was the dry grip going to be like I wondered? Then a bit of poking showed that the sidewalls were definitely more flexible than the previous tyres - :rolleyes: Anyway I needn't have worried about the grip, as the guys in Finland have obviously working hard to improve their rubber. It's superb, dry and wet - I've never managed to unstick them in the slightest, I think you'd need to take them onto a racetrack for that as it would involve speed/manouvres that really aren't meant for public roads, hence the N/A rating for how progressive they are at the limit. The softness of the sidewalls is noticeable though, you get the slightly odd feeling that the tread is welded to the road and the car is moving a bit on top of that. Upping the pressure a few psi helps with this, but doesn't altogether remove it. Steering feel/response is very good, the extra tread grip compared to the previous tyres gives a sharper turn in and more focused road feedback, though this is slightly spoiled by the soft sidewalls. And they're quieter and more comfortable than the Z-lines too, though if you're driving a car like the FSti that's likely a secondary consideration!
Will I buy them again - probably, unless Nokian do what they ought to and make a version with stiffer sidewalls - after all they have the Wetproof for general high powered cars, why not make the Powerproof for those of us who really want to DRIVE?
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on November 8, 2019