Bridgestone DriveGuard

The Bridgestone DriveGuard is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

Tyre review data from 23 tyre reviews averaging 72% over 287,860 miles driven.

The DriveGuard is ranked 82nd of 127 Summer Premium Touring tyres.

Reports

2017 Mid Range Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Very precise steering in wet and dry, good grip
  • Negative - Noisy compared to the best in test (but good for a runflat!)
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
225/40 R18 92Y XL   C A 70 10.26kgs
245/40 R18 97Y XL   C A 70 11.43kgs
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 70 12.21kgs

Questions and Answers for the Bridgestone DriveGuard

2016-06-20 - When will the Drive Guard be available in size 245 / 50 R18, and the cost? Also what run flats are available in All Season Tyres, for the size above?

We haven't been notified of a 245/50 R18 Driveguard, but Bridgestone are expanding their range all the time so keep an eye on the "sizes" tab. Likewise, all season tyres in that size are very hard to find.

DriveGuard Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Bridgestone DriveGuard Reviews

Given 96% while driving a MINI Cooper Coupe (195/55 R16 R) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Only recently fitted but these tyres have transformed the drive quality of my Mini Coupe. Highly recommended as a run-flat option.
128 - tyre reviewed on May 15, 2016
Given 80% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8 (Modified) (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Hi,
I have recently bought a set of bridgestone driveguard to substitute my last potenza s001 that ride 50 000 km. The bridgestone potenza s001 were fenominal to my mitsubishi lancer sportback 150 cv and 300 N/m. Now were time to substitute them. I have to say that i drive sportly and fast. Half of km i have made probably was above 200km/h and with fast turns. The other half was quitly, smooth and very zen. For weeks with reserche i decide to try the driveguard. I have them a shoet of time, so i only can comparate to the S001.
The driveguard seems to be very secure tire, with a stable sidewalls like the s001. The wear is about the same. What i don' t know is why they heat so much if i get hard with them in a few km. I don't seem they going last the same like the potenza s001.
Let see what they going to reserve to me.
When i drive more, i post again.
Sorry about the english, i'm portuguese and i love fast cars and i'm fascinate about a good tire.
Pedro
26 - tyre reviewed on August 21, 2016
Given 61% while driving a BMW 118d (205/55 R16) on mostly motorways for 8,000 spirited miles
driven 8000 miles and only a few mm left on the tyre very disappointing
16 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2018
Have you driven on the Bridgestone DriveGuard tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Bridgestone DriveGuard? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Bridgestone DriveGuard >

Latest Bridgestone DriveGuard Reviews

BMW (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 13,000 average miles
I am dissapointed with a quick wear. After 12.800 miles my back tire is close to 1.5 mm For a mid range tire it is such a bad product. Rear tires should last for around 40 K and not 13K. I will avoid this tyre make for sure.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 7, 2020
Given 73% while driving a BMW 320D (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
Need to replace fronts after about 10k miles due to side wear (tracking checked and confirmed ok)
8 - tyre reviewed on March 5, 2020
BMW (205/55 R15) on mostly motorways for 9,000 average miles
Am shocked worn to 1.5mm evenly in 1 year/ 9000 miles, for a known brand this is dreadful. not worth it
6 - tyre reviewed on December 7, 2019
Given 93% while driving a Toyota Prius (225/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 13,000 average miles
When I first got this car it was 3 years old and I kept it on the original Bridgestone tyres up until approx 2 years ago I will say that the Drive Guard has transformed this car. The only downside is the ride is hard but you feel like you have control and when you hit a pot hole it seems to just glide over them. I do not think they are noisy and I have found that since fitting these the car has no over or under steer and where you point it it goes. Also Tyre wear is good for this type of tyre (less than half worn on front wheels at this millage) and Yes I will replace them with same when they are worn.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 9, 2019
Given 43% while driving a BMW F31 318d x drive (205/60 R16) on mostly motorways for 20,000 easy going miles
Worst "premium tyre" I have experienced!

This tyre is a disaster!
They came mounted on my BMW F31 318d x-drive, when we bought it as a "newer" second hand car (3 years old).

The road noice is horrible as soon as you drive the car on tarmac that is the slightest rough in surface. They generate a very loud and disturbing low frequency noice.
In fact they are louder than a second set of 18" rims/tyres with the dimension of 235/40-18ZR (Michelin Pilotsport 3) we have for this car!

The dry and wet grip is not impressing at all.

The comfort is not good but not as bad as the noice....

The wear of the tyres is the only upside, there is about 6 mm left after about 30000 km (two summer seasons - I use winter tyres in the winter season), but honestly is the "good" wear rate a bad thing thus you will have to live with these bad tyres a long time. The car is driven smooth and with a lot of high-way use.

I would not recomend these tyres to anyone and will not buy again!

6 - tyre reviewed on April 24, 2019
Given 59% while driving a BMW 320D (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Had 4 of these fitted on my BMW 320 diesel touring. they feel really good handling, give you confidence on the road with a great grip. Down side is they wear quite quick and a year later and 10k miles trey are down to slicks. Not buying them again.
7 - tyre reviewed on November 23, 2018
Given 56% while driving a BMW 520d (225/50 R17 V) on mostly motorways for 8,000 easy going miles
Bought/fitted these tyres an 4th January, 2018. Completely BALD by the end of October, 2018 having covered 13,078 klms (8,0126 Miles) of gentle driving on the rear of our BMW 520D E60. We have two cars, this 9 year old low mileage 520D for longer comfortable journeys and hybrid Yaris for shorter / town journeys so the 520D only gets used on longer, occasional journeys mostly driven by my wife - both of us are more interested in MPG these days than MPH. They were bought to replace a set of Pirelli tyres because of the superior grip of these Bridgestone Drive Guard in the wet/frost etc. On this front, they did score well, better and more responsive grip/steering in poor winter conditions but in fifty years of driving, I've never had a set of tyres wear so quickly and so completely. I do some work/standing in for a local car dealership and customers often ask for recommendations for tyres (we sell BMW Audi Merc, Jaguar etc) Bridgestone WON'T be featuring on my recommended list :-(
5 - tyre reviewed on November 14, 2018
Given 79% while driving a Dacia Logan (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 10,000 easy going miles
I fitted a set of Bridgestone Driveguard on my father's 2005 Dacia Logan, found the tyres at a very good price. The car drives exactly as it should, the noise from the tyres is really low, the grip is also very good in any road conditions. Unfortunately, the front tyres(it s a fwd car) are used more than half of their profile in only 15.000km(aprox. 10.000 miles) which is very unplesant compared to the last set of tyres fitted on that car, some cheap Matadors which lasted more than 45.000km(~30.000 miles). In conclusion Bridgestone Driveguard are good tyres as long as they last,but their poor lifetime makes me think twice in buying them again.
3 - tyre reviewed on April 10, 2018
Given 84% while driving a BMW 325i (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 average miles
very good comfort for run flat tire,very good grip on wet and dry.Would buy them again
8 - tyre reviewed on March 10, 2018
Audi (215/55 R16 V) on mostly motorways for 6,250 average miles
recently fitted on a Audi A4 1.8T quattro. With amost 3,500 km on a monthly basis ( 10,000 km tll now) most of them on the national highway E95 of Greece I am extremely satisfied. ESP is enabled very rarely.
3 - tyre reviewed on March 8, 2018
Given 85% while driving a Honda Civic Type S 2.2 i CDTi (225/45 R17 V) on mostly town for 1,000 average miles
I fitted 4 of these tyres to my Civic.e fairly good considering they were Run Continentals were fairly good considering they were Runflats but the improvement is night and day. the Bridgestone Driveguards are 100% better.
I always stuggled with runflats for this particular model of car, the ride on the standard Type S civic is rather hard and a little thrashy, when combined with runflats this made the ride even more harsh and thrashy. Combined with the fact that the civic uses unsually high tyre pressures (33psi) runflats can be bit of a chore to drive on. When I changed to the driveguards it made the car a real pleasure to drive on again. Road noise was noticeably reduced, the wet grip is so much better than the Continentals. There is no more tramlining, the car feels so much better under heavy breaking and on the motorway the car no longer drones along. I think Runflat technology has really matured now. This is the first set of runflats that are as good if not a little better than premium standard tyres. I'm not saying that they are track day tyres or racing tyres but for a good mix of spirited driving they are some of the best money can buy.
2 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2018
Given 50% while driving a Lexus IS300 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10 average miles
As i do a lot of Motorway driving i thought these would be ideal puncture protection. They Handled well in all conditions (except snow, but many don't). Unfortunately the tyres lasted approx 10,000 miles and had worn on rear inner edge down to below 1mm with cord showing ! Towards the end of their life (approx5mm) the handling of the car had changed completely, "tram lining", wander, and poor grip. I am very disappointed with the life of these tyres (my factory fitted Yokohamas lasted nearly 30,000 miles). Great when new , poor when part worn.Not worth the extra money in my opinion.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 8, 2018