Falken Eurowinter HS449

The Falken Eurowinter HS449 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Falken Eurowinter HS439.

Tyre review data from 33 tyre reviews averaging 78% over 173,406 miles driven.

The Eurowinter HS449 is ranked 30th of 39 Winter Premium Touring tyres.

2020 Consumer Reports North America Winter Tyre Test - 9th of 17 tyres

• Overall - The Falken is a good choice for climates where wet snow and wet roads are common, because it scores better than average in the winter tire category, with Good ratings for braking in both wet and dry conditions—where most winter tires lag. It also earns Good ratings for handling. If you’re looking for a quiet winter tire, however, there are less noisy options.

2017 50 Winter Tyre Shoot Out - 21st of 45 tyres

2016 AutoBild Winter Tyre Test - 17th of 20 tyres

• Positive - Good value, ok in the snow
  • Negative - Low aquaplaning resistance, poor dry performance
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Falken Eurowinter HS449

Questions and Answers for the Falken Eurowinter HS449

2017-04-01 - Purchased a BMW 3 series with Eurowinter rotation tyres. I live in the UK where temperatures range from -3 (rarely) to 20 degrees celcius. Can I use these tyres in the warmer months or do they need replacing?

Legally you can use the Falken HS449 winter tyre year round, however you will find the grip, in particularly wet grip in the warmer months will be poor, so it is recommended you make the switch to summer tyres.

2017-05-04 - can these tires be used all year long or just in the winter;what do you recommend?

While the Falken HS449 can be used year round, you will notice a significant drop in performance during the summer months, specifically in dry and wet braking. This is why we always recommend switching back to summer tyres during the summer months.

Eurowinter HS449 Prices

Top 3 Falken Eurowinter HS449 Reviews

Given 70% while driving a Ford Puma 1.7 (195/50 R15 H) on a combination of roads for 800 average miles
This tyre got me interested firstly on looks. Wide lateral shoulder blocks and plenty of sipes. Having used several other winter tyre brands in the past and a interest in winter tyre development I thought I'd give them a try. Regular driving is satisfactory wet or dry but the hs449 come into its
Own up the hills through Derbyshire in around 4/5inchs of fresh snow and slush. The ford puma needs all the help it can get in snow and the hs449 worked better for me than previous high end brands I have tried.
149 - tyre reviewed on January 19, 2013
Given 91% while driving a SEAT Ibiza FR SC 1.2 TSI (205/40 R17) on mostly motorways for 15,000 spirited miles
I use the tyres about 8 month in 2 years. I saw all weather conditions, wet, snow, ice... It's still very good at -20 C

I was not waiting this good tyres at this price!
15 - tyre reviewed on January 10, 2016
Given 92% while driving a Volvo 2005 S60 R (235/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
I couldn't fault these winter tyres, they're proper cold rubber, quiet, very good grip and at the same time safe on wet, dry and snow covered roads. On the downside I found them not great on fuel economy probably due to quite soft rubber compound but nothing drastic here. I've just ordered a new set for a 3rd winter in a row. I would recommend them to anyone.
15 - tyre reviewed on November 27, 2016
Have you driven on the Falken Eurowinter HS449 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Falken Eurowinter HS449? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Falken Eurowinter HS449 >

Latest Falken Eurowinter HS449 Reviews

Given 64% while driving a Skoda Superb 2.0Tdi DSG6 170hp (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
I bought my car Skoda Superb ( 2wd ) already with this tyres . 225/40R18 So i decided to used them . I often travel to the mountains where I have notice even with a small amount of snow on the road really terrible grib . I read that DSG transmision isn t best solution for the snow and front power wheels. . But even on flat surface i break traction immediately , when you get goin is ok , but when i drove up the hill on snowy normal country road i had many problems passing thru. And I m really talkin about small hills. You need a lot of speed , non brakin , goin side ways on turns with ESP off every time to maybe pass it. But the moment you stop uphill on "white " road you done .

This is really good tyre for the city and some normal road trips . If you use it as most of people do you probable won t understand what i m talkin about.
So if you drive on snow maybe up to 5 times a year and mostly in the city . That s really good tyre for average price.
On dry surface again if you used normally you won t notice loose of traction . Good in fast turns .
These same thing on wet road it s really stable.
It s just not the the tyre for snow :) .

I can easily use it for two more winter season , but because of my several trips in the winter to the mountains i need something better.
Continental wintercontact ts 850 p 225/40 r18 will be my choice up comin winter .
I hope my opinion will help somebody .
2 - tyre reviewed on August 11, 2019
Given 70% while driving a Subaru Outback (215/65 R16) on a combination of roads for 10,000 average miles
Had them for 3 years on a Subaru Outback 2.5i. I've rated the tyre in comparison to the level of grip any road legal tyre can have, not in comparison to other winter tyres.
Dry grip is good for a winter tyre with good braking and cornering, but nothing compares to summer tyres on a dry surface even in cold.
After 3 winters they have a lot of thread left, became a bit stiff, but I'm sure they can still handle well.
Handled snow like it was on rails in combination with the AWD system and would progressively start to slide only if accelerator was abused.
Wet & cold is where it suffers. It starts to understeer more than in snow and braking is not good either, so if you live in a place where winter = cold rains, I would not recommend. If you have snow, they will do really well. Even drove in a freezing rain when it was recorded the highest number of accidents and managed to get out safe even if it would slip while trying to start moving.
Noise was acceptable.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 8, 2018
Given 86% while driving a Mazda Mazda2 (185/60 R16) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
Covered about 20,000 miles on these and they still have loads of tread left. I have had them all continuously through winter and summer alike.
Quieter than the OEM Dunlops although a 5-10% penalty at the pumps.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2018
Given 87% while driving a Alfa Romeo brera (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 6 spirited miles
Had these on the Alfa Romeo Brera V6 Q4 since September last year ... in normal conditions they perform well, good in the wet and dry, now we have had some proper winter conditions here in the UK and I have been driving in the snow for the last few days, and I must say they are exemplary... yes the car has 4wd, but a 2wd car in the snow on winters is better than a 4wd on summers in the snow! The grip is very good and confidence inspiring... able to brake down hill on packed snow (car weights 1.8 tons too!) able to climb any hill I'm presented with , generally feel fantastic compared to most of the other people tip toeing around and sliding about.... thoroughly recommended, and a decent price!
3 - tyre reviewed on February 28, 2018
Given 87% while driving a Subaru 04 WRX (215/45 R17 V) on mostly town for 7,000 average miles
Fitted these Falken HS 449 2 years ago to my Subaru and very impressed all round. Great in the dry, very good in the wet and completely capable in heavy snow. A tough tyre that I use all year round. Very recommendable.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 14, 2018
Given 76% while driving a Citroën C4 (205/55 R16 H) on mostly town for 5,000 miles
Having read so many positive feedbacks I left wondering if I drove the same tyre.
It's not a bad tyre but still it had vibrations above 130 km/h, and never felt a proper grip on snow and ice.
I've been driving along with two other similar fwd cars and I was the only one who didn't manage on snow/ice uphill (other two were with Michelin Alpin A4 and Goodyear UG9).
On the good side they are very good on dry and wet roads with very good wear resistance.
I replaced the front wheel set with Nokian WR D4 and honestly the Nokians performed worse on dry and wet. Still waiting for the snow though.
5 - tyre reviewed on December 24, 2017
Given 37% while driving a Alfa Romeo 1.9 JTD M (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 17,500 spirited miles
Tire very hard, lots of wheel spin even when pulling away from traffic lights moderately, quite a lot of road noise.

Lateral grip so-so, braking so-so, wear not great, not recommended without ESP.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 15, 2017
Given 60% while driving a Volvo S60 D5 AWD P* (235/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
They aren't terrible, just not that good. Good economy tires (around 100 euro per piece) but nothing more. Don't expect too much out of them.
15 - tyre reviewed on April 15, 2017
Given 96% while driving a Ford Focus ST 225 (2003 2007) (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
Its awesome good at winter.
It can grip well even on ice, or iced snow, or deep snow, do difference. best wintertyre ive ever owned.
Its a bit loud, but IMO its a common wintertyre "feature".

This is the best tyre you can get for real winter conditions for an affordable price.
10 - tyre reviewed on January 16, 2017
Given 90% while driving a Subaru Outback (215/60 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 2,500 average miles
Have driven for 11 years during harsh winters in Romania, but only had budget winter tyres so far.

Since I've moved from a WRX to a more sedated family car which is a 2008 Outback, I wanted something above the low budget tyres but didn't want to pay the price of a Conti or Goodyear or Bridgestone.

Price is really attactive for a brand like this. Everyone said the pattern is not good because it's not a V, but it bytes the snow and ice so well even at -20 as we've had these days.

But what I really like the most about them is how progressive they are and the level of control they give is incredible. The car slides so elegantly and can be stopped from a snow drift in a second with minimum input. If you don't get aggressive with the acceleration the car will just go and turn where you point the steering wheel.
They are not that good on fuel economy, can't say anything about wear yet, dry grip is really good beating all season tyres even, road feedback is fine and they are really confortable, though they can get a bit noisy on motorways.
10 - tyre reviewed on January 12, 2017
Given 87% while driving a Honda Jazz (205/50 R16) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Best deal you can find!
2 - tyre reviewed on January 2, 2016
Given 81% while driving a Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 (215/55 R17) on mostly town for 2,000 average miles
I bought this tires for my wifes New beetle. I definitely say that the price / performance ratio is excellent. We had the opportunity to drive on snow and ice. The grip was more than I expected. I totally recommend.
8 - tyre reviewed on January 2, 2016