Nokian WR A4

The Nokian WR A4 is a Ultra High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR A3 and this tyre has been replaced by the Nokian Snowproof P.

Tyre review data from 16 tyre reviews averaging 84% over 57,599 miles driven.

The WR A4 is ranked 16th of 39 Winter Ultra High Performance tyres.

2020 Auto Bild Performance Winter Tyre Test - 16th of 21 tyres

• Positive - Good snow qualities, good value.
  • Negative - Low levels of grip in the wet.

2020 Winter Tyre Market Overview - 52 Tyre Braking Test - 12th of 49 tyres

2019 19 Inch Performance Winter Tyre Test - 10th of 12 tyres

• Positive - Balance snow performance.
  • Negative - Low wet grip, low aquaplaning resistance, long wet braking, understeer in the dry and wet.
Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/35 R20 97W   C B 70
275/35 R20 102W   C B 70
245/35 R21 96W   C B 69

Questions and Answers for the Nokian WR A4

2016-11-19 - Hi. What is the maximum speed for wra4 nokian tyres and also is there a regular and a run flat option or just one version? thank you.

The Nokian WR A4 is available in different speed ratings and runflat options depending on the size chosen.

2018-08-14 - I have these tyres on my Hyundai genesis coupe but haven't driven during the summer Can I safely start to drive now? Is there any compromise in the summer on these tyres ?

Winter tyres like the WRA4 can be used in the summer without risk of failure, but you will noticed increased wet and particularly dry braking distances, so it is not an ideal situation to be in.

WR A4 Prices

YouTube Review

Top 3 Nokian WR A4 Reviews

Given 93% while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 400 spirited miles
This year I took the plunge and bought a set of WR A4s despite the lack of online reviews. I was attracted by its assymetrical design and overall inclination towards wet&dry conditions, as Romania only has snow for about two-three weeks a year. After driving a few hundred miles with them on my Mk5 GTI, I have to say they match the character of the car very well.

I have to start by saying these didn't give me the impression of an expensive premium tyre without drawbacks, but I think they are a good choice for people who drive fast and/or have "sporty" cars.

In terms of grip there is nothing bad to say about them, I've driven on both dry and wet roads (no ice/snow yet) and they had no problems coping with some very spirited driving. I enjoyed my car both in high-speed driving on mountain roads and under heavy rain with these tires. The best thing about them is that they made the balance of the car very pleasant, as it has moved from heavy, eeek, horrible, hateful understeer to a small amount of safe FWD understeer which can be easily overcome if you know what you're doing. Back to the Nokians: as they are winter tyres, they are very soft when compared to a summer tyre (local temperatures are at about 5-10 degrees Celsius) and this results in the chassis having a lot of small movements from the tyre flex. At first you think this isn't a good thing for a sporty car, but it turned out to be a lot of fun without affecting stability or road feeback. Of course, this softness also increases the roll in corners, but it also makes the car become very progressive. I'd say in the dry and wet they are very good indeed for a winter tyre.

Except the extra tyre flex, the only drawback so far is the extra noise compared to my summer tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT). This might be or might not be related to my wheel alignment; I'm saying this because I didn't hear as much tyre drone at constant speed, as I heard a high-pitch sound when applying torque (accelerating) to the tyres at speed. This also varies with the surface you're driving on, but overall these are definitely not the least "vocal" winter tyres out there.

Overall I am very satisfied with the performances of these tires. They aren't the most silent and they are quite soft at higher temperatures. However, having good road feedback and grip, allowing some little movements of the chassis thus making the car more playful and having a good balance between understeer and oversteer, make me recommend these tyres to anyone passionate about spirited driving.

These might be one of the best choices for spirited driving in countries with changing weather, except the expensive premium options (of which there is a complete lack in this size). The WR A4s are fun and they give you confidence, the most important two things for a hot hatch like a GTI. I'm waiting for the snow to hit Romania to see how they handle the white stuff.
79 - tyre reviewed on October 24, 2016
Given 77% while driving a Peugeot 308 BlueHDI EAT6 (225/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 1,200 average miles
the dry road very long break distance and vibration. prices=performance mid level tyres.
30 - tyre reviewed on November 11, 2016
Given 97% while driving a BMW 320i (225/50 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 1,250 average miles
Today i have climbed to a ski center which was around 2500 meters above sea level. I have a rear wheel drive car. the roads are so curvy and covered with all snow and ice. i didnt even had a small problem on the roads. the tyres grip is at highest level on the snow and ice. it is really a reliable tyre on every type of roads. So in my opinion it is one of the best winter tyre you can get to your car.
21 - tyre reviewed on December 18, 2016
Have you driven on the Nokian WR A4 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Nokian WR A4? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Nokian WR A4 >

Latest Nokian WR A4 Reviews

Given 81% while driving a BMW 535d M Sport (225/55 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 7,000 spirited miles
Car BMW F10, 520 and 535. Have had various winter tyres on BM's over 10 years, used in the Scottish Highlands and Europe, and daily winter) in the midland. Previous tyres before settling on these: Continental 810, 830, GoodYear UG 2, UG Gen1 and Nokian A3. The worst of them by far, that resulted in tests by Garages and BMW were the GY Gen 1 - I strongly suggest you do Not buy these for a BMW 5 series, GY techical 'support' were absolutely no use, other than saying by BMW '*', the nokians aren't '*' are are 100% fine. The GY UG2 were a good tyre for cold and wet but no where near as good as the Nokians in real winter/snow conditions. The only draw back is the 535 can wear them a little quickly, but out of all the aforementioned tyres for real wintery weather, cold, snow, slush, wet they are a very good tyre, so much so I will be replacing with the same tyres for next winter.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 5, 2020
Given 93% while driving a Volvo S80 D3 163 Comfort chassis (modified) (245/40 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Fitted these Nokian to suit my driving style as well as the harsh conditions in winter. I was amazed by the dry grip to start with, no spin even on full throttle, which is handy when the weather is around 10°C and not really winterish. Very stable at speed, so quiet that you could fall asleep. No increase in fuel consumption. In the wet, it is about the same, good handling, stopping distance and acceleration. Snow handling is just the best. Having a FWD, good tyres are required. What I really liked was that when the roads are not maintained, you don't have a puncture each time you drive over a pothole which was the case with my previous winter tyres as they were too soft. The price is a bit on the heavy side, but if I had to drive a lot in winter, I would not hesitate once to invest. But that will be in 5yrs+ now for me, and I'm sure Nokian will have figured how to design an even greater tyre in the meantime.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 15, 2020
Want the best performance tyre? Click here!
Given 85% while driving a Lexus IS200 (215/45 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
I first bought half a set of WR A4s in late 2016 as the original Goodyear I got with the car were a bit worn and slidy. Being on my second RWD car I knew that good tires are a must if you don't want to slide into a ditch boot first at the first sight of adverse weather.

On my old Supra I had older Michelin Alpin tires for the winter, but having a few friends running their RWD coupes ont the old WR A3 I went for Nokian, even though I don't usually get much snow.

After a first test where I had to cross a mountain with the old Goodyears at the front and the new Nokians at the back in fresh snow at 1 in the morning, I decided that a full set was necessary.

I've been running a full set of WR A4s since 2017.
The result has been overwhelimingly positive.

As general information : the car is an old Lexus IS200 sedan, RWD manual, no LSD, about 1400kg. Summer tires are a set of Michelin PS4 in 225/18"

Dry grip isn't as good as with the summer tires, but when changing my wheels when the temperature drops, I can feel right away that I'm getting some grip and control back (in temps under 7°c).
Wet grip is good, and I'd say better than with classic symetric patterns. Lateral grip is great in the wet, which stops your rear tires slipping around when going up and down hills and mountains.
Snow grip is perfect. I've driven in snow deep enough that my bumpers scraped the top, and with just the help of snow mode and a light touch on the throttle, the car just chugged along up and down hills at 6 in the morning before the snowplow could get there. Never had to park the car at the bottom of the road like my neighbours.
Ice I haven't crossed yet.

Of course comfort is upgraded by switching from 18" in the summer to 17 in the winter.
They don't wear too fast, and the mileage on my car doesn't change much between them and the Pilot Sports.

The asymetric pattern makes them easy to rotate to even the wear, which means they will wear more slowly in western Europe where roundabouts are everywhere.
The asymetric pattern also makes them look pretty sexy compared to the run-of-the-mill symetric winter tire.

The price is also usually pretty low for a performance winter tire.

The main downside I have found with owning them over multiple years is that they don't like warmth at all, and require a pressure check even before you fit them back in autumn. Mine tend to deflate during the summer months while they're in storage. But once filled back up, they don't require more pressure checks than your average winter tire.

In conclusion, I can't talk to those tires on a FWD car, but if you own a RWD coupé or sports sedan, they are absolutely worth the (little) money you'll pay.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2019
BMW (225/50 R17) on mostly town for 5,000 average miles
Wow
I had Michelin A4 & A5 before for winter tyres but this ones outperform them.
This year we had a lot of snow and not for even one moment they let me down! It's nice when you pass with a smile by smaller SUV who is "struggling" in the snow.
From now only Nokian for a winter tyres.
10 - tyre reviewed on March 14, 2019
Given 80% while driving a Volkswagen polo gti 1.8t (215/40 R17 W) on mostly town for 250 average miles
Having gone from a summer UHP tyre of the same size exactly i feel this review would be most helpful to those people doing the same as most people I have spoken to have a different size wheel and tyre combination during summer to those fitted in winter.
I purposely looked for a winter tyre I could fit to the exact same wheel size with the exact same ratios. The Nokian was the only available tyre, the tyre had a tad less grip on all surfaces for the first few hundred miles that I have put down to any oils and compounds used to separate the tyres from the moulds when initially made, however after time this has passed and the tyre behaves and stops well and so far I have very little complaints, I'm sure if driven hard in either wet or cold conditions the tyre would reach limits quicker than the summer tyre normally fitted would, however in the very cold the tyre does seem to grip well with very little wheel spin on acceleration.
It could be all in my head, but i do feel as if the behaviour of the tyres also improves with colder weather, an example been that traction and road holding on cambered roads and rounder-bouts seems better when the temperature is bellow 7 degrees than it would be approaching 10 degrees. I would like to think that come snow I should be in a better position commuting on these tyres than I would be on the Bridgestone S001 summer tyres usually fitted and so far have yet to see any characteristics of this tyre that come across as unsafe, unpredictable or scary.
That's not to say I would necessarily drive this car with these tyres on winter roads the same way I would with UHP tyres in good summer weather.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Mercedes Benz Vito (225/55 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Mercedes Viano rear wheel drive Vs 4X4 in the snow no contest Merc wins every time.
These tryres have allowed the rear wheel drive people carrier to drive on roads up hill when a Range Rover and a Land rover got stuck!! I just pulled passed them nd carried on.

10 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2018
Given 92% while driving a Ford S Max (235/45 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 3,500 average miles
Instant difference to car handling, much much better than stock Michelin tyres that where on from new! Much reduced road noise, much better grip in dry and wet conditions than other reviewers had given. I was initially a little sceptical, but really unjustified. A very competent tyre in all settings.

Done 3.5k miles in them now and its a joy to drive the car with them on. You can get very leary in them and you know where you stand and what will happen if you push too far, there are no surprises with these tyres. Done long motorway journeys in them and well as short hops between local villages. Its going to be hard to replace them with as comfortable summer tyres with the same attributes.
3 - tyre reviewed on February 28, 2018
Given 86% while driving a BMW X3 (235/50 R18 V) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Well, first impressions from pair new WR A4s' on my 2007 BMW X3. Brought the tyres about 3 months ago-10000 km already. Pretty quiet for a winter tyre. Stability in dry condition up to 200 km/h - car cant achieve higher top speed. Stability of course, easy to control the car and no surprises in torrential rain on highway up to 160 km/h on autopilot. I was affraid to put the pedal to the metal. Stabile in snow up to100 km/h. May be xdrive helps, i dont know. Autobild said, that there is a understeer in snow. Thats true . I think that is the only drowback. It is written that were made in Finland. After this pair is gone, i think that will buy again a new one.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 21, 2018
Given 64% while driving a BMW 328i (225/40 R19 V) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
I bought these tires for my 2013 BMW 328i (403m rims). The tires are too soft for 403m rims such that at speeds above 100 Km/h they deflect and the car starts drifting to the sides and I have to continuously steering to make the car goes straight. This also happens when I try to change lane at highways (even at speeds as low as 100 Km/h). I had the car inspected by BMW workshop who did wheel alignment and tire balance, but it didn't help since there was no problem with the wheel alignment and tire balance in the first place. I tried different tire pressures, 2.4 bars, 2.6 bars and 2.8 bars. At highest tire pressure (2.8 bars) there is less deflection problem with the tires and the car keeps going straight at 110 Km/h, but this high tire pressure makes over-streeing problem (the car slides easily at turns). Since there is no policy to return the tires back, I have to live with them for this winter. But I am going to buy a new set of rigid RFT winter tires for the next winter. I do not recommend these tires for high performance cars.
3 - tyre reviewed on January 9, 2018
Given 92% while driving a Ford Mustang gt (275/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 1,999 spirited miles
Despite them being released nearly a year before my purchase, there were very few reviews for these tyres available online at the time I ordered them. I also struggled with a relatively limited range of tyres available in both 255/40/19 for my fronts and 275/40/19 for the rears, and mixed reviews for the few premium brands available in those wide, low-profile configurations. Nevertheless, I took the plunge and ordered these Nokians off the back of reviews for their other tyres and the WR A4's focus (according to their marketing blurb) on higher performance vehicles.

I've now had the tyres fitted for about 1,000 to my 5.0 litre V8 2015 Mustang, which I use as a daily driver, primarily around town but with the occasional early morning thrash through the countryside. I've been really impressed with the performance offered by these tyres. Despite the mid-level price point, they've proved adept at dealing with the slippery conditions of a coldish winter in the UK. Wet grip is excellent, with a reasonable level of feel and a very progressive breakaway at the limit. Dry grip also seems good from the few drier days there have been since I had the tyres fitted. These tyres are a world away from the OEM fit Pirelli P Zeros, which were good in the warmer months but hopeless as soon as the temperatures dipped in November - the compound becoming so hard that the tyres were constantly overwhelmed by the power and spinning at the slightest provocation.

It's too early to assess wear or form a conclusion on whether I'd buy again, and likewise I haven't yet had chance to test them over a proper covering of snow (which will, I suspect, be 'interesting' in a 415bhp RWD car regardless of how good the tyres are...), but my initial impressions of these tyres are very positive. The Nokian WR A4s have allowed me to go back to enjoying the drive at the limits rather than nannying the car around on the summer tyres. If these are on your shortlist and suit your budget, then I doubt you'll be disappointed with them.
17 - tyre reviewed on January 29, 2017
Given 85% while driving a Audi 1.8T Quattro (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 4,000 spirited miles
I replaced my very old WR ZG2's with this tyre because I was very happy with ZG2 model. I bought them online and barcode indicated that they are made in Finland, but country of manufacturing is Russia.
My summer tyres are Conti Sport Contact 2 and when I mounted these winter tyres it was like "WOW, my car can be quiet!" Very happy with road noise, even it is stated 72 dB
Dry handling is excellent compared to the old summer tyres: no more "power slides" of my Audi A4 quattro
After 6K kilometers I am still very satisfied:
- no vibrations
- there is snow now in Bulgaria and driving is a pleasure: no ABS while braking, no sliding in sharp turns, no problems while maneuvering on snow or ice
- I was impressed from these tyres when there was a mist and temperature was - 3 degrees Celsius. Roads were covered with "black ice" but feeling was like driving on a summer day.

Definitely a good tyre for a good price. Hope it will stay that way next winter
6 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2016
Given 100% while driving a Hyundai i40 tourer (215/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Just perfect