Vredestein Wintrac Pro

The Vredestein Wintrac Pro answers the growing market demands in the 17-inch and ultra-high-performance segment. The new winter tyre makes no concessions in terms of performance, offering maximum grip while cornering, short stopping distances on wet roads and great handling, even at high speeds. The Wintrac Pro is available in speed rating Y, making it appropriate for use at speeds of up to 300 km/h (186mph) for a large number of sizes. The tyre merges an attractive design with advanced technology.

This tyre replaced the Vredestein Wintrac xtreme S.

Tyre review data from 20 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 103,700 miles driven.

The Wintrac Pro is ranked 10th of 41 Winter Ultra High Performance tyres.

2021 ADAC 17 Inch Winter Tyre Test - 5th of 18 tyres

• Positive - Good dry properties, good properties in the wet and snow.
  • Negative - Devaluation due to high wear.

2021 AZ SUV Winter Tyre Test - 4th of 10 tyres

• Overall - Strong on snow, one of the best in wet conditions, safe when dry. The price / performance champion.

2021 Auto Bild Sports Car Winter Tyre Test - 3rd of 14 tyres

• Positive - Convincing all-round talent with very good winter and wet qualities, stable wet and dry handling, low price level.
  • Negative - Average ride comfort.

Size Fuel Wet Noise Weight
255/55 R20 110V XL   C B 72 15.21kgs
255/40 R21 102V XL   E B 72 13.61kgs
315/40 R21 115V XL         16.00kgs
245/45 R21 104W XL   E B 72 13.41kgs

Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Vredestein Wintrac Pro. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Wintrac Pro Prices

Top 3 Vredestein Wintrac Pro Reviews

Given 85% while driving a BMW M240i (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
I've had several types / makes of winter tyres fitted to different cars over the years (Mini Cooper S, BMW X5's), although this is an initial review and we haven't had any severe weather yet these tyres seem excellent and better that I have had in the past (plus this car is more powerful (340bhp) and rear wheel drive...). We've only driven the car in temperatures at zero degC and above but we've had some horrendous weather with heavy rain and high winds, driving with these tyres really in both small country roads and main dual carriageways with aquaplane conditions these have been sure footed, I have to commend them. I hope that come snow and the real harsh weather that will come shortly they will continue to impress.
Helpful 76 - tyre reviewed on November 30, 2018
Given 94% while driving a Audi S5 (255/40 R19 V) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Great winter tyres, highly recommend. Amazing traction in the Scottish winter and snow. Good handling balance at the limit and provides plenty of feedback of the road surface. Corners and grips well in temperatures under 0 degrees Celsius. A must buy for any performance vehicle if looking to drive spiritedly in the colder months. Driving a stage 2 Audi S5 with 485 Bhp, a good tyre is a must even with Quattro to put the power down when the road is slippery, wet and cold. The tyre is vary predictable at the limit when driving on an dry road and provides confidence when braking. Would buy again.
Helpful 62 - tyre reviewed on March 12, 2021
Given 100% while driving a Jaguar Jaguar XE (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Bought these tyres on the strength of Autobild UHP winter tyre test 2018. Had the chance to drive through snow , slush and ice on saturday here in Scotland . Last winter I had the misfortune to experience a few scary moments when my UHP summer tyres lost traction where I skidded and slid all over the place in conditions not nearly severe as saturday past. These tyres in one word are phenomenal . I never lost traction once , I felt so safe and confident throughout my whole journey.

My wife has a mini cooper with UHP winter tyres , now on their second season. Her tyres are good but not in the same class as the Wintrac pro , they have a sluggish steering response and mushy feel at temps above 10c. The Wintrac pro at 9c last week felt very planted on dry roads , I am really quite amazed at how they've managed to achieve this .

My experience with premium winter tyres in the past have never been this good. All I can say is I'm so glad that these tyres are tested to the limit by those who know how and we all learn so much before making an expensive mistake. If you review this and decide to buy you will Not be disappointed and before you ask , I'm not affiliated with Vredestein in any shape or form . Good luck with your choice .
Helpful 31 - tyre reviewed on December 17, 2018
Have you driven on the Vredestein Wintrac Pro tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Vredestein Wintrac Pro? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Vredestein Wintrac Pro >

Latest Vredestein Wintrac Pro Reviews

Given 76% while driving a Honda Civic Type R (235/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 22,000 easy going miles
Life cycle end review of the Wintrac Pro. 4th season, about 35000km, maybe a bit more, various countries, road conditions and driving styles, mostly smooth, relaxed touring. High speed stability is great. Only tested it once, during the 3rd season. Speed rating W, so up to 270km/h(168mph), got it up to 262km/h without any problems. Handling is good, not great, but it's predictable and you feel, when it starts to wash out. Strange rubbing noise, when they do though. Rubber got noticably harder over the 4 years. Stones quickly break parts of the thread out or squishes them down permanently, leaving holes in the otherwise prestine rubber blocks. Smaller stones get stuck easily and cause for quite some noise, especially in corners. Dry grip is great, once the tyres are warm. When cold, grip levels are mediocre, fine for city driving. Sporty driving is not recommended until they have at least some warmth in them. Curvy b roads make for a good place to warm them up. Wet grip is similar to dry grip. Slightly difficult, when greasy. The tyres will grip after washing out a bit, making the turn in a bit jerky at slightly higher speeds or when still cold. Aquaplaning is hardly an issue, once the tyres have warmed up, at least at speeds, that are common on roads. 120km/h in pouring rain is doable. There are enough grip reserves, but any higher than that is not recommended, except for short amounts of time to overtake the truck, that sprays your wind screen. Snow grip is astonishingly good, only a few problems there. Up to 100km/h, the tyres are predictable in a straight line, and safe to change lanes, when there is slush and snow between lanes. Braking is good, especially at lower speeds. Rear wheels might break out in corners, easy to do lift of oversteer in a FWD car. Snow grip didn't get much worse over the 4 seasons, than it was in the beginning. Tyres prefer deep, fresh snow, rather than flattened one from other drivers. Ice grip is not good. Even thin layers of ice on the road can quickly lead to the front washing out, even in low speeds. Definitely not recommended. If the ice is rough, the rubber grips a bit better, but still makes for an unpleasent ride. Ice driving requires very gentle stearing input and thinking at least 100m ahead. Comfort and tyre noise is good, gets splightly worse over time, but not unbearibly so. Mostly due to the rubber becoming harder and the thread blocks developing holes from stones, that squished and deformed them permanently. Thread wear is absolutely fantastic. 35000km and still 6mm of thread left on all 4 tyres. Mostly gentle, economic driving, very few hard accelerations or braking. Greasy, none road surfaces are astonishingly hardly a problem. Went on a ferry to Sweden, where other tyres struggled for grip, the Wintrac Pro made it up the damp ramps easily. Sweden's rough road surface didn't inpact the thread wear at all, as it seems. Measured the thread depth before and after the 2500km trip, no difference measurable. Noise levels rose a bit, naturally. Steering was not impacted though. 22° decline on wet cobble stone was also no problem. Very little slip, if any. For middle European winter conditions, I'd give them an 8/10. Best for climates with little ice and either lots of fresh snow or hardly any snow. Winter climates with lots of rain are absolutely no problem whatsoever. Sporty driving is also no problem, but you have to be aware of understeer and sudden gains of grip. Excelent for long road trips.
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on January 23, 2022
Given 90% while driving a BMW M140i (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 2,000 miles
Great winter tyres, needed a short period of bedding in but great in snow/ice plus good wet and dry performance, in a tyre that you can still drive relatively hard with if you want. This is my winter tyre so I accept that it's going to compromise performance for snow/ice grip so you have to decide whether you want to swap every year between summers and winters, if not I wouldn't run these all year round, they would wear out too quickly as they're seriously sticky for snow and ice. If you do need winters, look no further, for the price (they were almost the cheapest quality winter tyres @ £91 each) they're quite a bit less than the competition and performed so well on snow/ice I can't recommend enough. Bedding in period is around 50 miles or so where the wet grip was quite bad, I was starting to regret buying them, but after this they're great that's quite important to remember. Also they are quite a soft tyre with a soft sidewall so I've found I can't use all the power (340bhp in my m140i because the rear of the car sqirms around and is quite unnerving. It will roll left to right until you back off. Its not the speed that is the problem, they're V rated to 150 mph so no problem they're, it's just the power or torque flexing the sidewalls I guess. If you don't have a powerful car like the m140i you'd probably never notice it, I can still accelerate quite fast, just not full throttle. At a guess I'd say up to about 260bhp you probably won't notice it and certainly not a reason to avoid buying these tyres. If you're using winter tyres you have to expect some loss in total performance, and I paid nearly half what something like a Michelin Alpin is, and around £30 per tyre less than Bridgestone and Goodyear alternatives. I was genuinely shocked at how good they were in the snow/ice. The road was Kirkstone Pass, it snowed over night and we went over the pass to see the snow and test out the tyres. So many cars were getting stuck, turning around, and 1 even crashed and was waiting to get recovered. I watched for about 20 minutes while I decided if these snow tyres were actually good enough as I didn't want to crash my new (to me) m140i! Didnt need to worry at all, going down first I was doing lots of brake tests to make sure I wasn't just sliding on ice and it stopped very well, no slipping. Then coming back up the steep hill it didn't even slip, I then slowed right down and accelerated gently to see if I wasn't just on the edge of the grip or something, still no slip. I had to really give push the throttle to get any slip, I definitely couldn't have made it slip without going over the top on purpose with the throttle, so impressed. Using these from now on as Winter tyres on my m140i which has Michelin Super Sports fitted in the summer. One more thing specific to my car, it comes standard with 225 50 18 front and 245 35 18 rear (something like that), but for winter tyres it's perfectly safe to fit 225 40 18 92Y all round, it even says that tyre size on the sticker beside the drivers door, I was trying to figure this out for ages so for anyk e else wanted to know winter tyre sizes for an m140i on standard 18's it's 225 40 18 92Y all round. 88Y load rating isn't good enough so don't buy those (I also read that somewhere).
Helpful 3 - tyre reviewed on January 14, 2022
Want the best Performance summer tyre? Click here!
Given 88% while driving a Volkswagen Tiguan (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,000 average miles
My Tiguan R uses Y rated 255/35 21 and there is a limited choice of tyres in this size. The Wintrac Pro did well in the 2021 Auto Bild winter tyre test so I decided to give them a go. Initial impressions are very good, especially in the wet where they happily keep 316 bhp in check. In the dry the steering feel, handling and braking is almost as good as a summer tyre. In the cold and wet they are better than a summer and on the country roads I commute to work on they have really inspired confidence in the recent cold, wet weather. There is a little more tyre noise than an equivalent summer tyre but the ride quality is fine. I have yet to try them on ice or snow but the Auto Bild test seems to indicate I have nothing to worry about and it is too early to comment on wear rates.
Helpful 2 - tyre reviewed on January 4, 2022
Given 93% while driving a BMW M240i (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Winter time. Came from Michelin PS4 summer tyres. When changing to Vredestein Wintrac Pro straight away i've noticed it handles like the Michelin. Very stable, tight handling. Grip is amazing. Having a Stage2 M240i with 480bhp. Accelerating from 0 is spot on. Almost no wheelspin! And that for RWD!! In wet it feels very confident. No issues at all. First day of big snow, I went for a big trip with my buddy. Leaving the parking uphill, it went like on dry surface. My buddy took 30min to finally get free. Just proves how amazing the Vredestein is. And really shows a wintertyre is the best choice in these winter condition. Trust level 100. Wouldn't choose any other tyre than this. You wont regret it
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2021
Given 87% while driving a Ford fiesta st (205/55 R18) on mostly town for 6,000 average miles
I bought these tyres in November 2019 and had them fitted to my 2019 Ford Fiesta ST. There was very little choice for winter tyres when it came to the wheel size on this car so I was limited to only this one or the very overpriced Pirelli Sotozero 3s. For the first winter that I had them fitted it was mostly just cold and wet (no snow) but the level of grip that this tyre offers over the Michelin pilot super sports (fitted to this car as standard) in temperatures below about 5°C is worth it even if you don’t get any snow. Fast forward to December 2020/January 2021 and I can confirm that in the snow these tyres are extremely capable. A full three inches of snow is no problem for these tyres. I have also used these tyres on icy roads and they hold up well there too, with abs breaking coming on when you slam the breaks but it stopping the car some several meters shorter than if you had summer tyres on. The tyres also preform equally as well in slushy/wet snow. If I had to rate the handling/breaking for fresh dry snow I would say 10/10, for slushy/wet snow 9/10 and icy roads would be 8/10. It’s also worth noting that even after 6000 miles on these tyres there is very little wear and they probably still have another full winter in them if not 2. Overall a fantastic tyre that significantly improves the safety of your car during the winter.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on January 24, 2021
Given 88% while driving a Audi S3 (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Bought these last year for my then new-to-me Facelift Audi S3 to replace some General Tyres(!) summers that the dealers fitted before I bought the car. I was impressed with the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes I'd run a good few years ago on my Yeti, so thought I'd give these a go as they are UHP rated. They were a definite improvement over the Generals, but as I didn't know the car, it wasn't really a good comparison. During this summer however, I ran Michelin PS4s on the S3, & they didn't seem the big step up from the Wintrac Pros I was expecting, & now I've refitted the Vreds I noticed straight away that the steering's actually better, the car's slightly quieter & ride's better than it was on the PS4s. I found the Wintrac Pros really good in the wet & in cold, dry conditions but I didn't get the opportunity to drive on snow or much ice last year so can't comment on that yet, & I'm not really expecting great wear, but dynamically & subjectively these are a great winter tyre & good value. If we get proper winter weather this year, I'll update accordingly & it'll be interesting to compare them to the Dunlop Wintersport 5s that are currently on the Yeti (which subjectively & for grip in all conditions have been really impressive) but so far, highly recommend these Wintrac Pros.
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on December 11, 2020
Given 89% while driving a Honda Civic Type R (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 12,000 easy going miles
The tyres need a short warm up phase to grip on slippery road around freezing. City driving is not really enough to get them to grip well enough, that you don't experience slip at acceleration from a stand still. Once moving, they quickly bite into the road surface when dry, wet and snowy roads are a little more tricky. The confidence you build on snow and slush is phenomenal though. As long as you drive smoothly, the tyres keep you on track even in tight corners. Bumps and pot holes are transfered to your bum quite directly, but not as harsh as with the 245/30 summer tyres. Aquaplaning sets in at closer to 100km/h with nearly new tyres. Thread wear is great. Over the 20000km in mild weather on motorway and city streets, they still look almost as new. Smooth driving and no hard exeleration or braking are key for long thread life. Cornering feels a little less direct than on the 245/30 summer tyres and I wouldn't recommend track use. Though rated up to 270km/h, sporty driving is possible. Long distance driving is okay. Road noise is acceptable, comfort is good. Comfort setting goes best with the Wintrac Pro for everyday driving, if your car has different driving modes. They do take emergency manouvers very well though. Though I have no experience, if they do well under repeated manouvers. The tyres quickly tell you, when they lose traction, gaining it back quickly as well.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on April 13, 2020
Given 96% while driving a Toyota GT86 (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 3,000 average miles
There tires are AMAZING. Let me start by saying that obviously this tire has been judge keeping in mind we're still talking about a winter tire: so for example when I give it a 9/10 on dry grip it's not the same as a 9/10 summer tire, but for being a winter tire it's very very good. Wet grip is great which again is to be expected on a winter tire. Road feedback is one of the strenght of these tires, honestly they feel better than the summer Michelin Primacy that were previously fitted. Handling is good (again compared to other winter tires). When it comes to comfort and noise there are definitely more compliant tires out there but considering the feel they give you it's a very welcome compromise. What really amazed me the most is snow and ice grip: in these conditions they are OUTSTANDING. With my RWD car I've gone through incredibly deep snow (while bottoming out) without a problem while other FWD cars with winter tires were completely stuck. Even starting from a complete stop on a hill was no problem. I know that might compromise wear if you use them only on tarmac but if you need to drive on snow these are just incredible.
Helpful 6 - tyre reviewed on March 9, 2020
Given 83% while driving a BMW 335d (255/40 R18) on mostly motorways for 3,000 spirited miles
Feels much more like a summer tyre than previous winter tyres from Dunlop and Pirelli. Handles well. Good wet and dry grip/braking in cold conditions. Limited experience of snow as used in UK, France and Germany for past two winters. Appear long lasting. Only negative is significant increase in fuel consumption.
Helpful 7 - tyre reviewed on January 24, 2020
Given 87% while driving a BMW M3 (275/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 4,000 spirited miles
Using tyres on BMW M4 F82 only in winter sesion. Dry grip is like with summer tyres very good. Road feedback is also very good. Snow and Ice Grip is not perfect but its normal, you can feel save. Most important that you feel road very detail. I will buy for sure it again
Helpful 5 - tyre reviewed on January 7, 2020
Given 90% while driving a Alfa Romeo 159 (225/50 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
Very positive suprise. I use them on Alfa159 2.0. Summer tyre is same size Hankook Ventus Prime3, but Wintrac pro is matching the grip, if not better than the Hankook, while comfort and noise level are much better.
Helpful 4 - tyre reviewed on December 13, 2019
Given 54% while driving a Mercedes Benz Vito (225/50 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 11,000 spirited miles
225/50 R17 XL
Tyres wear on the out sides long before the middle. Even with them blown up to max pressure. Tyres so hard it affects the cornering of the van.
Fitted to 2018 Vito medium wheelbase weighing 2.8 ton