Continental WinterContact TS 850

The Continental WinterContact TS 850 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Continental WinterContact TS830 and this tyre has been replaced by the Continental WinterContact TS 860.

Tyre review data from 52 tyre reviews averaging 87% over 456,130 miles driven.

The WinterContact TS 850 is ranked 10th of 39 Winter Premium Touring tyres.

2015 ADAC Winter Tyre Test - 165/70 R14 - 6th of 16 tyres

205/45 R16 87H XL   C C 72 7.43kgs
215/45 R16 90V XL   C C 72 7.90kgs
185/50 R16 81H   C C 71 6.71kgs
185/55 R16 87T XL   E C 71 7.22kgs
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Continental WinterContact TS 850. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

WinterContact TS 850 Prices

Top 3 Continental WinterContact TS 850 Reviews

Given 34% while driving a Citroën xsara picasso (185/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 20,000 average miles
Have them for two years, horrible in second year.High wear on the edges and weery poor grip on wet.Better than ug8 butt still would not buy again.
They were made in romania.
94 - tyre reviewed on May 27, 2016
Given 77% while driving a Volkswagen Golf 7 TDI (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 50,000 average miles
Hello.
Initial tread: 8,5mm
After 90.000 km, 4,5mm tread (22.500km per mm); I like to care my tyres.
17 - tyre reviewed on May 28, 2018
Skoda Octavia Scout (225/50 R17) on a combination of roads for 4,000 average miles
I’ve used winter tyres of various premium brands for 20 years, but these TS 850 Conti’s are the best by miles. Grip and handling in snowy conditions, be it new soft snow or icy compacted snow, is extraordinary. The car hardly budges, it’s like driving on wet tarmac. On a compacted snowy upland road in Derbyshire with the temperature around zero I stopped the car, put it in first gear, then floored it. OK, it’s a 4wd Octavia Scout, but the tyres didn’t even spin. Incredible. Tried again, same result. Braking was just as good, you could brake hard and still it didn’t let go. A month later, skiing in Austria, with 15 cms of new snow and snowing so hard that the ploughs couldn’t keep up, we had to drive up a series of steep hairpins.....car didn’t budge, I couldn’t have gone any faster even it was just tarmac.
10 - tyre reviewed on November 7, 2017
Have you driven on the Continental WinterContact TS 850 tyre?

Have YOU got experience with the Continental WinterContact TS 850? Help millions of other tyre buyers

Review your Continental WinterContact TS 850 >

Latest Continental WinterContact TS 850 Reviews

Given 76% while driving a BMW X5 3.0d Sport (325/30 R21) on mostly country roads for 20,000 spirited miles
Jonathan kindly replied to an Email enquiry. From his reply, I went ahead and placed 21 inch run-flat Continental WinterContacts on to my 2017 X5, that has different tyre sizes, from front to back. The wife loved the difference to her feeling of safety they made, between the Scottish Highlands Cold Winter and the wet/cold Autumn/Spring of Herefordshire England, 'so much so', she disliked the stock tyres being replaced back on the wheels for the summer and instantly felt less safe. This was due to a perception feeling of no longer being stuck to the tarmac with the stock summer tyres, as compared to the Continentals. They have served us for 2 Autumns, Winters and Spring seasons very well and still in good condition. From Jonathan's most recent youtube videos, Im inclining towards Michelin UHP all season 4 tyres, as the twice yearly tyre change with the reality of UK Weather, be it Scotland of England my wife and I find ourselves, Jonathan's informative video's lead all, or certainly myself, towards all season tyres from now onwards, especially with the advances in tyre technology we are seeing with the Michelin and Continental brands. Changing vehicles this Sept from X5 40d 2017 model to X3 M40i 2021 model with 21 inch run-flat wheels. My biggest issue with tyre change, is BMW dealerships don't or will not put new winter tyres on 21 inch wheels, so you have to go to an independent tyre business, that more often than not, has to order in the tyres required for 21 inch runflat type wheels. Another reasons for my decision with a new vehicle, a new tyre solution to all season tyres (Note: at 21 inch run-flats, there are not many tyre manufactures to choose between, though improving slightly each year) These Continental WinterContact tyres have been amazing and made us watch motorist abandon, struggle, or slip off roads in snow conditions, as we quickly drove between destinations with full safety and trust in the tyres. Even in wet and dry, as a normal driver (No Track) these tyres kept us glued to the road in wet and dry conditions, until real warm weather made us change back to stock summer tyres. But, the UK weather of recent, is so inter-changeble, both in Scotland and England, that the 7 degree point to change winter/summer is blurred often right through Autumn, Winter and Spring. Today 2021, early May in Scotland I'm driving with snow on the road. Thankfully we have kept the winter tyres on even later this year!
0 - tyre reviewed on May 7, 2021
Given 86% while driving a Volkswagen (B8) 1.4 TSI (150 Hp) DSG ACT (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 35,000 easy going miles
Season 8 (the last one) / above 50000 km / above 31000 mi, still 4 mm pattern. Driven on VW Up! White Up! 75PS/95NM MY2013. Very confident tyres on all road conditions. Dry: a bit slippery (normal for a winter tyre), confident on cold, quite slippery on warm above 15*C. Wet: very confident on water. Snow and ice: extremely reliable on slushy weather conditions. After 8 years still a good grip on the snowy mountain roads. Fuel economy and wear: great (consider the economical and light car). Because these are tyres with really high sidewalls they have quite a shallow handling in contrast to the 16 inch summer tyres. I really love the Contis as a winter tyre - next season I will get the upcoming TS 870 (if available)...
1 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2021
Given 83% while driving a Mitsubishi Colt (205/45 R16) on a combination of roads for 44,000 spirited miles
Yes that mileage is not a typo - I just checked my service history and I fitted them in September 2015 at approx 31500 miles.
Since then I've just clocked 75000 miles, save a few weeks on track tyres this summer.
Bought as a full set of 4 to replace a frankly shocking mixed bag of budget rubber they were immediately quieter by a big margin.
The Colt is only 1050 kgs or so and despite a fast road style they STILL had just under 4mm of tread depth remaining but had obviously given their best as in dry conditions they seemed to get sharper - probably due to less rubber flexing as they wore down - but in damp to wet conditions it was obviously starting to loose bite, as well as the ride getting a little brittle.
As expected in cold to full on wintry conditions they excelled to a laughable degree. When the UK ground to a halt last year it was almost cartoonishly funny to drive past everything stuck, sliding and abandoned - from the outside it must have looked reckless but I assure you the safe margin was huge without nudging their limits.
I wish I had a dashcam then to post how on hitting a blizzard on the M65 towards Blackburn how much traction and grip they had. On the way back over the Moors towards Manchester I counted 3 cars written off and in ditches but the little Colt was just planted. Braking and cornering were safe as long as you didn't take daft risks.

Overall they were fantastic - even fuel economy was improved.

The only downside really was lack of steering sharpness and dry braking 'feel' but they weren't the P (sport) versions.

Just replaced them with a pair of TS860 and Michelin Alpin 6 as I couldn't get a full set of TS860 in this size.
6 - tyre reviewed on October 11, 2018
Given 47% while driving a MINI Cooper SD (205/40 R17 V) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Only run for a short time. They grip well, but we're horrible to drive on a car with otherwise excellent sporty handling. The sidewalls are too soft which causes a lack of feedback on turn in (no feedback at all until the tyre leans over and grips). Worse still, the lack of turn in is immediately followed by a loose feeling at the rear of the car as the rears lean over and bite.

I blew out two of the four tyres in a deep pothole a week after purchase, so I've taken the opportunity to replace the whole set with the cheaper Bridgestone Blizzak lm32 tyres I usuallly buy. Wish I'd stuck to them instead of listening to the reviews on these continentals.

The continentals do have good grip and I think would be ok on a family saloon, but not on a sporty car.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 30, 2017
Given 56% while driving a Honda civic esi (185/60 R14 T) on a combination of roads for 18,000 spirited miles
As another review said, the first year was good but second year the tyres were heavily worn on the edges. Across most of the tyre the tread was still legal. Even so the tyre in the wet at this stage was appalling. Many times unexpected ABS or wheel spin. In the dry they are predictable but squeel all the time being pushed round corners. The worst thing about this tyre is it hardly works on those wet days that are after a period of dry, so the road is a bit leafy/oily. They are like driving on ice! I'll never touch these tyres again. I have Michellin CrossClimate on my other car (Zafira), and Goodyear 4Seasons before these on this car and both were suprioer in UK driving conditions (and cheaper). I have ordered Goodyear 4seasons again to replace these, even though they are still legal. Too dangerous for the coming winter season.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 4, 2017
Given 90% while driving a BMW 320i (205/55 R16 H) on mostly town for 9,000 average miles
Excellent tyres. I have driven them on RWD car and honestly I have never got stuck since I had them.
Here in Bulgaria we have very bad winter conditions. The temperatures sometimes drop to -25 - -30. The snow coves the whole roads and it deeps up-to 12 inches. My BMW was manual and only RWD. This tyres made it stand against all statements that BMWs are summer cars. It could pass where many FWD cars failed and got stucked and it is only due to this brilliant tyres.
Definitely recommend them. The worst is that neither TS850, nor TS860 have sizes bigger than 225. That's a pitty.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2017
Given 96% while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDI (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 20,000 miles
Excellent tires, very good grip on wet and snow. Comfortable ride even in high speed (200km/h). Would definately buy them again.
3 - tyre reviewed on May 9, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDI (215/45 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Bought a set for my VW Polo 2016 for winter monts, and they are excellent tires. Grip si great in all kind of conditions from icy and snowy to sloshy to wet and dry. Consistant. They are confortable, and silent in dry. In wet there is little bit of winding noise above 50 mph, but nothing to extreme. This tires give me confidence and sense of security, so I am very pleased with them.
2 - tyre reviewed on March 20, 2017
Given 100% while driving a Ford Ford Focus MK2 1.8 TDCi (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 7,500 average miles
The grip and the price is very good, so I can recommend to everything.
5 - tyre reviewed on November 5, 2016
Mercedes Benz (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 0 miles
Simply amazing tyres, inspire confidence during winter in an RWD car. They are quieter and feel better than my Toyo proxes CF2 summer tyres. Pricey, but worth the money for safety and confidence - would definately buy them again without hesitation.
6 - tyre reviewed on September 1, 2016
Given 90% while driving a BMW 5 Series 2007 (205/55 R16) on mostly town for 2,200 spirited miles
The grip is outstanding! I was able to climb 30deg hills on snowy unpaved roads. They never let me down. The only downside is that they wear very fast.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 22, 2016
Given 90% while driving a Toyota Avensis (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 28,000 spirited miles
I just checked the mileage these tyres have done, I have run these for 28k miles which for a Winter tyre year round is exceptional.
I run them on a Toyota Avensis Estate with a 2.0td engine and I drive hard enough on rough country roads.
The fronts are at 3mm and the backs are at 1.6/1.7mm so just at the legal depth.
I see some evidence of the shoulders wearing but after 28k miles and some spirited cornering I would expect that with winter tyres as the sidewalls are softer than summer tyres.
In all I highly recommend these as good all rounders, yes in summer with air temps of 17-19 °C they lose a bit of crisp turn in but then you can't have it all.
I would buy these again as they have performed well for a high performance winter even in summer
1 - tyre reviewed on September 8, 2015